3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worthless factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The high voltage works like a stunt gun. There are small electrodes embeded in the seat, both positive and negative. Whoever sits on them will get shocked. Therefore it is kind of hard to drive away a car without sitting in it.
Another cool alarm featre, which I actually had in my previous car, came with a Pioneer stereo deck. Once the alarm was triggered, a high pitch noise was emitted through my 1000 W stereo system. It was so lound and annoying you could not sit in the car for more then 30s.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Racer

very cool, but the one thing I was reading on the stun gun-like system was that it also worked from the outside.

Still trying to figure out how that is legal.

My fav though is from the Darwin Award site... someone put an airbag in their seat cushion to knock out anyone who tried to steal their car
Old 02-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoda117
very cool, but the one thing I was reading on the stun gun-like system was that it also worked from the outside.

Still trying to figure out how that is legal.

My fav though is from the Darwin Award site... someone put an airbag in their seat cushion to knock out anyone who tried to steal their car

I don't think it is legal in the US. For example, I remember reading that GM offers a factory alarm on the Vette (in South Africa), that sends 50,000 volts through the steering wheel and driver's seat. I think there was an option for an underbody mounted flame thrower, but I can't remember if that was factory or aftermarket. But I know the 50,000 volts was factory.

Anyways, if it was legal in the US, I'm sure you would be able to get this same stuff from the factory over here. It's already illegal to "booby-trap" your house to sabotage break-ins, so it's probably just as illegal on cars....
Old 02-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by avs007
I think there was an option for an underbody mounted flame thrower, but I can't remember if that was factory or aftermarket.
Oh, you must be talking about The Blaster. Click here, see the video.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jled
Long story fairly short - 3 weeks after taking delivery of my 05 TL Navi w/ A-spec wheels, it was broken into by some idiot. I wasn't even out of the break-in period yet :angryfire

Instead of smashing a window and opening in the door, which would have triggered the system. The thief cut (ripped) a fairly large hole in the driver's door just below the lock. Once inside the door it's apparently easy to just disconnect whatever wires/connections are necessary to open the door without activating the system. I'm 95% sure they were looking for the key to wheel locks (which is NOT kept inside the car) as every conceivable part of the interior was opened, but nothing was taken.

The car never made a sound.

I know the factory alarm is not a true "security system", but I was shocked at how easily it was defeated.

Oh well, it's at the dealer now who assures me the door will look the same as the day it rolled off the truck. I guess that's what insurance is for.

Just had to vent. Now it's time to continue searching the forum for a real security system that will integrate with the Acura remote.

The service tech at the dealer said he'd never heard of someone getting into a TL this way. I found that a little hard to believe. Anyone have a similar experience with the factory alarm?

I wish I could have caught the idiot(s) in the act, an arrest would have been the least of his concerns...

Jeff
Wow, he must either work for Acura or someone told him that info, since that was very a very specific way to break into the car. I hope this does not spread to the East Coast like the stolen HID thing.....
Old 02-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Racer

actually the trick is a variant of the screwdriver in the lock trick... which also works on some current models with alarm systems

BTW: I think that PA and TX allow the stun-gun thing
Old 02-21-2005, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

another way we can prevent thief is not to buy used OEM parts off individuals on Ebay, classifieds or streets (unless you really trust them I guess), only buy from good reputable parts recycler.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up Viper Alarm is the way too Goo !!!

I have the same fears that somebody will fuck my car up. Thats way next week Im getting the viper alarm system hooked up with car starter. The viper alarm will ring and make noise when somebody even touches your car in a weird way. Its the best for the TL.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:30 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
time for the Auto Taser... only 50,000 volts (small current 5,900 milliwatt )

http://www.tandaservice.com/detailed...auto_taser.asp

http://www.lcars.eu.org/autotaser.uk/index.htm

that looks like a lot of fun !
Old 02-21-2005, 11:47 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
time for the Auto Taser... only 50,000 volts (small current 5,900 milliwatt )

http://www.tandaservice.com/detailed...auto_taser.asp

http://www.lcars.eu.org/autotaser.uk/index.htm

that looks like a lot of fun !

But it's SAFE AND LEGAL TO USE IN THE UK, how about USA?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:21 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by A-TLvic882
But it's SAFE AND LEGAL TO USE IN THE UK, how about USA?
it's legal in many states, but these ones are not produced anymore,
now they sell more powerfull tasers up to 775,000 volts.
(you may have to place a warning sticker on the window, just to cover yourself)

I'm still trying to find one to buy. They show up sometimes on ebay, check completed auctions... from $199 - $350 w/130db motion sensor alarm.

Austin, TX store
http://www.pimall.com/nais/shoppan.html

under self defense
http://www.pimall.com/nais/e.menu-e.html
Old 02-22-2005, 12:36 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
it's legal in many states, but these ones are not produced anymore,
now they sell more powerfull tasers up to 775,000 volts.
(you may have to place a warning sticker on the window, just to cover yourself)

I'm still trying to find one to buy. They show up sometimes on ebay, check completed auctions... from $199 - $350 w/130db motion sensor alarm.

Austin, TX store
http://www.pimall.com/nais/shoppan.html

under self defense
http://www.pimall.com/nais/e.menu-e.html

It's a good info. Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 12:45 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

According to a store in El Paso, TX ...

"Legal and Child Safe. The AUTO TASER is designed well within Internationally accepted standards for electrical safety. It poses no risk of injury even to young children or pets. Because of the careful design, AUTO TASER is legal to use in all 50 states."

http://www.spymall.com/catalog/security-index.htm
search for Auto Teaser (they seem to have them in stock)

it comes with window stickers, 2 keys, 1 remote...
$259.95 + sh (& tax if in TX)
Old 02-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

yes what a pos alarm system honda/acura has
alarms are for people who THINK they are actually protecting their cars. alarms don't do jack. if a thief wants to take your car, he will. simple as that. it has nothing to do with what make the car is or what model.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:46 AM
Brother Sum

Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 2-Way Security with Responder...
How much?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
More to this than meets the eye

Don't forget two little known elements of the alarm system:

1) the vibration and rattles are designed to make the thief abandon the car within two city blocks.

2) the butt-print identification system makes it possible for law enforcement to track and indentify anyone sitting in the driver's seat by comparison to the National American Butt-print Association "NABA-thief" data base.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:05 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jtow
How much?
Base price is around $400-500. But if you get all the sensors and backup stuff, can cost as much as $1000, including the cost for install.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know what kind of alarm the dealer usually installs? How much should an alarm system with autostart cost from the dealer?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:25 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I work with a guy who put a high-end alarm on his car. It has proximity sensing, motion, etc. It has a two-way fob that alerts him if the alarm goes off, etc. He has disabled the proximity sensing, though, because he kept getting alerted every time someone parked near his car. The final straw was going out one afternoon to see why his alarm was screaming (again) to find that someone had keyed, "Kill your alarm!" on his hood. Fat lot of good his $1000 alarm did him.

People are so conditioned to ignore car alarms that I don't see why anyone would pay premium bucks for one. Any thief savvy enough to go through the sheetmetal to get into a car isn't going to be slowed by an alarm. I'd venture that the vast majority of potential thieves will be just as deterred by the factory blinking LED in our TLs as they would by a premium aftermarket system.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jled
Acuraluvr - thanks.

As mentioned before I was going to take pics, mostly thinking about posting them here, and then just decided not to for some unknown reason. I kind of regret not taking a few now; I was in a funk that day. Although after reading the post and seeing the pics of the guy whose TL was hit twice in one day made my little hole seem not as a bad.

As far as fixing the hole, according to the dealer's body shop manager, they just replace the entire metal "skin" of the door in one piece. The rest of the door remains original and intact. This made me feel MUCH better when he explained the repair process, as I was concerned about original fit and finish of a replacement door.
Some a$$wipe did the exact same thing to my 1999 Honda Accord, 3 months after I dropped full coverage. Unfotunately, the a$$hole stole both air bags, which were extremely expensive to replace. I took pictures. I am pretty sure that the "alarm" on the Honda works the same as the TL, that is, nothing happens in these situations.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Originally Posted by pilozm
Some a$$wipe did the exact same thing to my 1999 Honda Accord, 3 months after I dropped full coverage. Unfotunately, the a$$hole stole both air bags, which were extremely expensive to replace. I took pictures. I am pretty sure that the "alarm" on the Honda works the same as the TL, that is, nothing happens in these situations.

Some people will steal anything. I hate theives.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the way the stock alarm is pointless, if the door gets unlocked the alarm is disabled, if the window is shattered nothing happens since there i no shock sensor

that is why they are ripping holes in the doors, they know if they unlock then the stock alarm will not go off
Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just my thoughts if a theif really wants your car they will always find a way to steal it. So doesn't really matter what alarm system you have such as our OEM or aftermarket. My friend spent over $800 for a high end aftermkt alarm and was defeated. Just my