Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worried about 5AT transmission on 04' Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 07:24 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worried about 5AT transmission on 04' Acura TL

I recently bought a 5AT 2004 Acura TL. Currently has 131k miles on it. I took it to an independent Honda & Acura Service Center for detailed inspection. Apart from the other problems (rip in one of the CV boots, broken front control arm bushings and worn brake pads) they said that the transmission currently in my car is a used one, most likely from a yard. Now it gives me relief to hear that the original troublesome transmission was replaced but on the other hand I am worried about the used transmission that is currently fitted. Is there a way of knowing or estimating the life left on this transmission? Or what yard it was obtained from?
I must mention that the transmission shifts pretty smooth and the mechanic at the service center said the same too. I don't observe any slipping/jerk etc.
Basically my question is how worried should I be? Is there something I could do to prolong the life of whatever transmission there currently is?
Its been two weeks since I bought this car and I joined this forum just today so please forgive me if my questions are too naïve.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 799 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by maxbond123
I recently bought a 5AT 2004 Acura TL. Currently has 131k miles on it. I took it to an independent Honda & Acura Service Center for detailed inspection. Apart from the other problems (rip in one of the CV boots, broken front control arm bushings and worn brake pads) they said that the transmission currently in my car is a used one, most likely from a yard. Now it gives me relief to hear that the original troublesome transmission was replaced but on the other hand I am worried about the used transmission that is currently fitted. Is there a way of knowing or estimating the life left on this transmission? Or what yard it was obtained from?
I must mention that the transmission shifts pretty smooth and the mechanic at the service center said the same too. I don't observe any slipping/jerk etc.
Basically my question is how worried should I be? Is there something I could do to prolong the life of whatever transmission there currently is?
Its been two weeks since I bought this car and I joined this forum just today so please forgive me if my questions are too naïve.
Unless you have docs, there's no way to know anything. Did the shop say it what model/yr it came from?
The best thing you can do for your trans to get long life is to change the fluid regularly.
The following users liked this post:
maxbond123 (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Is there a way of knowing or estimating the life left on this transmission? Or what yard it was obtained from?
If you can obtain the salvage yard sales receipt or vin # from the car the trans came from, that may help determine mileage before it was installed?

I'd say drive the car and enjoy it. Change the trans fluid regularly to help alleviate any future apprehension.
If the current auto trans. gives up the ghost, swap in an 06-07 BAYA Accord V6 one and move on.
Good Luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by zeta:
Acura TL Builder (08-17-2022), maxbond123 (08-18-2022), Slpr04UA6 (08-22-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 03:40 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice!! I definitely intend to get the fluid changed regularly. I should have also mentioned that there is a very minor transmission fluid leak. After the car had been sitting in the garage for two nights, I found one drop of pink fluid underneath the car (transmission fluid). The guy at the service center said that this is a minor leak and to stop this one would have to take the transmission out.
Should I just keep checking the fluid regularly and keep topping it up at a higher frequency than normal (due to the slow seepage) and will that be enough?
Old 08-20-2022, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Thanks for the advice!! I definitely intend to get the fluid changed regularly. I should have also mentioned that there is a very minor transmission fluid leak. After the car had been sitting in the garage for two nights, I found one drop of pink fluid underneath the car (transmission fluid). The guy at the service center said that this is a minor leak and to stop this one would have to take the transmission out.
Should I just keep checking the fluid regularly and keep topping it up at a higher frequency than normal (due to the slow seepage) and will that be enough?
It depends where the leak is, sometimes it's a banjo bolt that lets fluid pass that is leaking. The nice thing is with your 04, you can replace the filter in the trans for piece of mind.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (08-22-2022)