Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by narnia
I had to replace my PIAAs and recently bought Bosch. Whenever I lift the blades to wipe them down, they're always stuck to my windshield. I mean really stuck, like they're melted into the glass, and I have to tug to lift them up. Does anyone know why this happens?
Do they work good or does this make them not perform well?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by OStateBeaver
Do they work good or does this make them not perform well?
They're noisy. I replaced the blades and not just the refill in case my old blades were bent.

I don't think I have any contamination on my windshield, but Bosch says it's ok to use BonAmi to clean the glass. Has anyone ever used this on their windshield?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you can use rubbing alcohol to clean the glass-
if you have a lot of gritty buildup then a product like bon-ami, which is a super delicate cleaner, will do the trick.

I run Bosch Icons (Only Grandma Hugs Tighter) and the Ca summer sun did put some wear on them.
Need to clean the glass and decide if still good enough for another season.
I like to see as well as possible--- -so new blades are a safety investment IMO

On the truck- the blades would stick solid to the glass after sittng a few weeks in the sun! They were only good for a year then trash on regular old school bosch blades

also tried rainx washer fluid- which is now going to be removed from the glass with alcohol~ not compat with the good blades!

Carnuba car wax (not synthetic on glass) will keep wndows cleaner and help wiper noise
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I had to replace my PIAAs and recently bought Bosch. Whenever I lift the blades to wipe them down, they're always stuck to my windshield. I mean really stuck, like they're melted into the glass, and I have to tug to lift them up. Does anyone know why this happens?
Another trick, is to clay bar your windshield. You'll be surprised how much clearer your windshield will look. And my blades never get glued down like that, very odd. Do you use your windshield washer to clean you glass occasionally or basically I'm just trying to figure out how long they sit at a standstill before this happens? Either way it shouldn't happen. If you call up PIAA and tell them the issue, they will send you new blades out to you in 3-4 days at no cost to you. I had an issue once with them and that's what they did. Amazing customer service. Give that a try, maybe you got a defective set, it happens.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Man I just can't decide which ones to go with... PIAA or Bosch Icons?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Man I just can't decide which ones to go with... PIAA or Bosch Icons?
Bosch only wipes and it wipes clean ..... better than OEM for sure.

PIAA not only wipes clean just as good as Bosch and better than OEM but coats your windshield with water repellant material like RAIN-X with every swipe. With this coating, using wipers at highway speeds becomes unneccessary as most of the water sleets right off.

That about sums it up. Decision should also be easy.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
01tl4tl - My car is parked in an indoor garage so it's not the sun that makes the wipers stick. I think I received defective blades. I'm going to try the Bon Ami and if that doesn't work I'll contact Bosch.

Elegant - I clean the windshield by hand a few times each week and wipe the blades down with fluid each time. So the blades aren't resting more than 2 days at a time.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:28 PM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
Are there "winter wipers" for Acura, that have a "boot" over the metal part of the blade?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually still have my OEM blades on my '06. They're ready for replacement, but not too bad. I regularly clean the windshield. I'll probably go with Bosch as I used have them on my old '02 Accord and they were great. I have rain-X on my Civic windshield and I enjoy driving on the highway in the rain and not having to use the wipers.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

01tl4tl - My car is parked in an indoor garage so it's not the sun that makes the wipers stick. I think I received defective blades. I'm going to try the Bon Ami and if that doesn't work I'll contact Bosch.

Elegant - I clean the windshield by hand a few times each week and wipe the blades down with fluid each time. So the blades aren't resting more than 2 days at a time.

Thanks guys!
Yeah definitely call PIAA and get them to send you free blades. They won't even ask you to provide a receipt, just ask you where you purchased them and just say you got them from a local dealer. Brand new replacements will be on its way! Simple as that!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I haven't used the PIAA blades so I can only speak for the Icons.

I love the frameless wipers. Completely quiet and they have never streaked, all the water gets pushed away with every stroke. My factory wipers lasted 6 months in the 100+ degree summers here. The Bosch are going on 1.5 years and are still perfect. I do use my windshield washer pretty often, that may be the key to the rubber wipers lasting.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 AM
My TL can do this, too!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to get PIAAs on the cheap, go to the Pep Boys site. Free shipping!

Browse by letter - select 'P'.
Select PIAA
Select Wiper Blades
You want parts #94048 (19") and #94065 (26")

It's only about $14.50!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by lusid
Here's how to order PIAA inserts.

Method 1
Pepboys
http://www.partsxdirect.com/?aid=547
Mouse over to "Brand catalog" then go to "all brands" then go to select letter "P"
Find "Piaa" , Find "Wiper Blades" , Go to Page 4
Part number : 94065 = 26" Blade Insert // 94048 = 19" Blade Insert
Add both to Cart, check out!

Sub Total: $14.51
Shipping total: $0.00
Tax total: $0.00
Grand total: $14.51

Good Luck!

Method 2
Find the "Part Number Search Box"
Enter 94065 then 94048 Add the "PIAA WIPER BLADE REFILL" one only!

Check out!
Just use method 2. They are the silicon ones. I've used them for two years now.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Dude.. thats good prices!!

For first time users I would suggest somehow trying to get some silicone spray to apply to the windshield, since that's what the starter kit include, a moist silicone towlette to get the windshield started. Or you can just buy the blades instead of the inserts the first time and get the towlette in the package.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Dude.. thats good prices!!

For first time users I would suggest somehow trying to get some silicone spray to apply to the windshield, since that's what the starter kit include, a moist silicone towlette to get the windshield started. Or you can just buy the blades instead of the inserts the first time and get the towlette in the package.
I have rain x is that pretty much the same as the silicone spray your talking about that comes with the PIAA starter kit? Sorry I was a little confused!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 PM
One or Two?

Originally Posted by rksokol

Select PIAA
Select Wiper Blades

It's only about $14.50!
For first time users do you have to buy the actual blade? Or can you just reuse the OEM blade and insert the PIAA silicone wiper refill? Is it a direct fit?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:04 PM
FTW

Originally Posted by chuanger
For first time users do you have to buy the actual blade? Or can you just reuse the OEM blade and insert the PIAA silicone wiper refill? Is it a direct fit?
It's a direct fit on the OEM blades. You yank on the end to pull your old blades out then you insert new blades.

Seriously takes 2mins total!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Is there any advantage to buying the whole set up rather than just getting the refill?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
One or Two?

It's a direct fit on the OEM blades. You yank on the end to pull your old blades out then you insert new blades.

Seriously takes 2mins total!
Hot damn! I'm in! I'll just coat my windshield with some Rain-X prior to installing the new blades.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:27 PM
FTW

Hot damn! I'm in! I'll just coat my windshield with some Rain-X prior to installing the new blades.
I've never done a rainx treatment, I find it useless. The PIAA's give off a silicon coating each time it moves across the windshield. IMO try it without the rainx then add it later.

Is there any advantage to buying the whole set up rather than just getting the refill?
No you can just buy this refill - it fits perfectly. Do people read what others type? Only time I'd recommend buying a the whole setup is if you think the pressure from the wiper blade housing isnt putting enough pressure on the window for a clean sweep.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rksokol

Select PIAA
Select Wiper Blades

It's only about $14.50!
Is there something special you have to do for the free shipping? I just went to buy them and the shipping came out to $10. I am gonna wait to find out if there is a special code I need for free shipping. Let me know how ya got the free shipping.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

I've never done a rainx treatment, I find it useless. The PIAA's give off a silicon coating each time it moves across the windshield. IMO try it without the rainx then add it later.

No you can just buy this refill - it fits perfectly. Do people read what others type? Only time I'd recommend buying a the whole setup is if you think the pressure from the wiper blade housing isnt putting enough pressure on the window for a clean sweep.
Correction, you want to buy the whole setup if your a first time user because they give you the silicone starter pack that you apply to your windshield. You do not get this silicone starter pack with just the refills.

The other way around this, is to go to your local auto store and buy silicone spray and throw it on a paper towel and apply it just like you would rain-x, however this is not the right way but it can be done if you wanna save 15 bux... so I guess the choice is up to the user.

If you just do the refills, the results are not guaranteed, but the refills do fit the stock blade perfectly with no problem.

For those of you who do decide to do it properly and get the entire blade setup this is the procedure:

1. Wiper your windshield clean with Cleaner of your choice and let dry (I use glass plus)

2. Apply PIAA special silicone wet pack towlette to windshield in circular motion as if you were waxing the car or applying Rain-X. If you buy 2 blades you will get 2 towlettes so use 1 towlette per half windshield.

3. Replace the blades

4. Buff off excess silicone with a clean paper towel just like you would with wax.

5. Now run your wipers on this fresh, clean and dry windshield for about 2mts - 5 mts on low speed. This will evenly distribute any excess silicone left on the windshield and apply more silicone through the silicone blade.

6. You're done and ready to enjoy the benefits of the PIAA SILICONE BLADES for life. The blades now with every swipe will re-coat the windshield with more silicone so that you will never have to apply silicone again.

7. When its time to replace you now can just buy the refills.

This is the proper way of getting the maximum benefit from these blades. If you chose to just buy the refills to cut cost, then you might not be as impressed with these blades because your leaving it up to the blades to apply and coat your entire windshield with silicone.

I can't wait till someone posts a review after they do this properly, I truly believe PIAA is retarded for not marketing this properly.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 12-17-2008 at 11:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sohan24 (08-05-2019)
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

And to those doing the RAIN-X remember Rain-X is different from PIAA's silicone. Actually when I spoke to the lady they said RAIN-X can damage the silicone or reduce its lifespan. Rain-X is more oil based I believe, might be wrong on that, and silicone is .. well.. its silicone... LoL.

So no, I do not recommend coating rain-x and putting PIAA blades, if you want Rain-X I think you should just get the Bosch Icons in that case, and just replenish the RAIN-X every 2-3 months. I think I can see why now lots of people are not impressed with the PIAA's because the correct way to do it is not clear causing mixed results. Well I hope this clears it up.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Instructor

I'm gonna give the PIAA's a shot. I was gonna order them from the link above but I couldnt get the free shipping thing to work so I figued I would wait and see if I did something wrong. Maybe I will just go ahead and order them I guess...
Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 AM
One or Two?

There is no free shipping with the link above, however I did get free shipping purchasing them through amazon. You have to spend $25 to get the free shipping though.

Elegant - I only bought the wiper refills (for my fiance as well) so I guess i'll go look for some silicone spray at the local auto shop. Any suggestions as to what kind of silicone spray to use?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

bosch icons
Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Anyone have a part number for the PIAA starter sets? I am looking on Amazon and they have a ton of different options and I couldnt seem to find them.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

i want to get the piaa silicone blades but there are a few different types of them which ones are better

PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades
PIAA Super Silicone Curved Wiper Blades
PIAA Super Sporza Silicone w/Spoiler Wiper Blades (Black)

will the sporza ones fit? and is there a difference with curved and not curved?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Elegant - I only bought the wiper refills (for my fiance as well) so I guess i'll go look for some silicone spray at the local auto shop. Any suggestions as to what kind of silicone spray to use?

I'm not sure, I know they have something I guess I'll check my garage and see what I bought in the past but that was years ago, so you might be better just traveling the isles in pepboys and see what kind of silione spray water repellant they have. Remember you're just priming a thin layer and then buffing it off and then letting the wipers do the rest. Your other bet would be to call PIAA and see if they recommend anything, just go to www.piaa.com and call the number, they answer right away, you'll get all your answers in one shot.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

I'm not sure, I know they have something I guess I'll check my garage and see what I bought in the past but that was years ago, so you might be better just traveling the isles in pepboys and see what kind of silione spray water repellant they have. Remember you're just priming a thin layer and then buffing it off and then letting the wipers do the rest. Your other bet would be to call PIAA and see if they recommend anything, just go to www.piaa.com and call the number, they answer right away, you'll get all your answers in one shot.

Originally Posted by click1d
i want to get the piaa silicone blades but there are a few different types of them which ones are better

PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades
PIAA Super Silicone Curved Wiper Blades
PIAA Super Sporza Silicone w/Spoiler Wiper Blades (Black)

will the sporza ones fit? and is there a difference with curved and not curved?
Just get the PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades. You can get the SPORZA's if you want, it will fit, the only difference is a slight plastic lip spoiler on the arm itself that uses the wind force to keep the blade pressed firmer onto the windshield when travelling. Our cars do not require the curved blades as they are for some of the later European models like the Beatle and CLS with curved windshield. As far as will they fit, I'm not sure I want to say no, but I could be wrong. I'm running the regular ones on my cars for years.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Anyone have a part number for the PIAA starter sets? I am looking on Amazon and they have a ton of different options and I couldnt seem to find them.
Just in case it wasn't stated before, our car needs 26" on the drivers side and 19" on the passenger side. Here's the links, pretty decent price if you ask me. $37 shipped. I pay about $30 or $35 local.

Passenger Side Blade Link Amazon

Drivers Side Blade Link Amazon

Now this is the pic on the amazon site and if you see the white package on the left, that's the silicone moist towlette starter pack that you use to prep your windshield with silicone. The other package on the right is the adapter pieces which you want to use adapter C1. It will tell you in the instructions as well.

Anything else guys? Hahaha... I swear PIAA should pay me!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Just in case it wasn't stated before, our car needs 26" on the drivers side and 19" on the passenger side. Here's the links, pretty decent price if you ask me. $37 shipped. I pay about $30 or $35 local.

Passenger Side Blade Link Amazon

Drivers Side Blade Link Amazon

Now this is the pic on the amazon site and if you see the white package on the left, that's the silicone moist towlette starter pack that you use to prep your windshield with silicone. The other package on the right is the adapter pieces which you want to use adapter C1. It will tell you in the instructions as well.

Anything else guys? Hahaha... I swear PIAA should pay me!
Lol yes PIAA should be paying you for this!!!

But I have another question. I was about to order these from Amazon but the part number is different than the part number on the PIAA site...

http://www.piaa.com/controller.php?a...ACURA&model=30

Are these the same ones???
Old 12-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ Yeah I saw that before posting up on this, so I did a google search with the PIAA part numbers on the AMAZON page and I cam up with many other sites that listed the same part number as PIAA Super Silione Blades, so it seems to me that its the same thing, maybe some minor changes on the newer version, but I can't tell you what they are. However when I saw the pic on Amazon, that pic is 100% super silicone because that is the only one that comes with that starter pack that I highlighted.

To just be sure 100% call PIAA tommorow, and just confirm, save yourself money and hassle and post up to let the others know. It would be appreciated. Phone call would only be 5 mts max.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
You're done and ready to enjoy the benefits of the PIAA SILICONE BLADES for life. The blades now with every swipe will re-coat the windshield with more silicone so that you will never have to apply silicone again.

When its time to replace you now can just buy the refills.
From what I can see, the PIAA silicone blades come with only a 1 year from date of purchased warranty.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Instructor

I went ahead and got them thru Amazon. After doing some cross referencing I found a few other sites that had the same part numbers as what Amazon had. I would venture to bet that they just did a change on the part numbers on these sets not to long ago. I am think I should be golden! I will let ya guys know how I like them, they should be here in a few days!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

Bosch Icons .... just put them on both of my cars.......siiiiiiccccckkkkkkkkk!!!!!! they use a phenomenal blade and they use the european style spring blade so it pushes on the windshield when it swipes.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
Bosch Icons .... just put them on both of my cars.......siiiiiiccccckkkkkkkkk!!!!!! they use a phenomenal blade and they use the european style spring blade so it pushes on the windshield when it swipes.
Sorry guys, but I stuck on longevity. If you look at the Bosch site, they recommend replacement of normal wiper blades every 6 months, but state that the Bosch Icons might last up to a year.

Still no 5 year warranty
Old 12-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

for 20$ a blade im not worried......whatta u gonna do?..... send out the blades and wait for them while they get replaced? in the mean time u cant drive if its raining or snowing....the only way i see that being worth spending money on 4 blades and swapping out when its time to send the others out for warranty replacement
Old 12-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Just ordered mine from Amazon. $36.86 with free shipping...
Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
do any of you with PIAA ever have an issue with the silicon streaking your window??

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades