Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windshield rant

OK, I've been putting off getting my cracked windshield replaced because of the winter and I finally got it done today, and I think I've been taken for a ride

2007 TL Type-S

I was quoted over the phone a price of about $450 for an aftermarket windshield replacement, and when I asked about the brand, they said PPG. I've read here that PPG is good glass, so I decided to go for it because the OE glass was $700+ plus installation.

When I asked them again about the glass again, they said a different name, and I questioned that I expected PPG. They said that it's the same manufacturer as PPG. I checked after the replacement, and it's a Solar Lamishield. I looked up the name and it's some made in China glass. The person at the shop claimed that they done't use made in China glass because of quality, and that this glass was made in USA.

This was this morning, and I just took the car for a ride, and I'm getting terrible squeaks from the windshield area. I also hear more outside noise compared to my old glass. I think I also hear some wind noise too.

Now, do I have to wait until the glass is "set". If I still hear the squeaks tomorrow, I'm gonna have them replace it with the OE glass, and I expect them to give me full credit toward the OE glass. I'll pay a bit more for it, but I can't drive my car when it sounds like a POS. I'm not even sure if I trust them to do a good job now
Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
I've read the 3G TL windsheild glass is special somehow. Acoustic Glass I think and it's expensive.

csmeance will know if he chacks into this thread.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes all the 3g tl's have Acoustically tuned glass windshields.

"Acoustically tuned glass windshield

Since its 2004 introduction, the TL's windshield has been made of 4.7 mm thick acoustic glass, which consists of two layers of safety glass, separated by a thin acoustic resin center. Representing the first time that acoustic glass with a shade band had been applied to a luxury vehicle in North America, the windshield reduces road noise on smooth asphalt significantly in higher frequency ranges. To reduce noise intrusion through the side glass, the front and rear movable door glass is 5 mm thick."
Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just had mine replaced last week with PPG glass and it was covered under my comprehensive coverage with my insurance. All I had to pay was the deductible. After the install, they did tell me not to drive more than 500 miles in 24 hours to let the glass set and not wash it for 48 hours. I heard some weird creaks on the way home from the shop but they went away after a few days. Do you notice a difference in the interior noise with your new windshield? If not, I wouldn't sweat it much.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I just got the same windshield put in mine today. Let me tell you...scary. Kind of wished I wouldnt have watched him do it, but now i know what to look for.

I know this is BS, but I still want to rant a little.

First, the guy put some knicks just above the doors/windshield using his razor to cut the molding across the top of the windshield.

Then, he comes out with a damn reciprocating saw with a paint scraper in it instead of a blade to cut the seal loose from the inside of the car (anyone ever seen anything like this?)

My windshield actually has a flaw in it, in which if you look at the reflection off the windshield - you can see there is a spot that "divits" in more than the rest of the windshield. It's probably a 2-3 inch long defect in the glass edge as far as I'm concerned. **edit** To better explain the size, imagine someone putting their elbow to the glass when it was still very hot, and pushing it in a little. My windshield is no longer perfectly curved - there is an indentation about 2"x4" at the top of the glass. you can't see it unless your looking into the reflection

Finally - need your help on this one somebody... I dont think he seated the left/right trim all the way. If you look very close at it, the trim is kind of like a J channel. The outside edge (furthest out from the window) just kind of hangs there. But it looks as if there is an inner channel that has a rubber weatherstripping/seal on it. Should that be touching my glass? I would think so, but it is a good 1/8" off the glass.

And I never noticed this, but those of you that have seen the windshield replaced can attest - When they pull the trim piece off the window, there are tabs that are colored red, blue, green and yellow. Why they are colored beats me. But I can now see them if I look at the edges of the windshield from the side. Was this always like this, and I just never noticed? (who really stares at the edges of the windshield normally).

I don't know whether to complain to someone about this, or if I'm just barking up someones tree because the guy didnt seem to "care about my baby" as much as I do?

P.S - Is the SafeLite (whatever its called) glass accoustic? They claim it is, but the glass installer said that usually the window would say - in which case this doesnt (neither did the factory glass though either)

Last edited by GLowrdr; 04-14-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will have to check to see if I notice the squeaks tomorrow after the windshield has "cured".

I'm just po'ed because they said PPG over the phone and bs'ed me and told me that this Solar Lamishield manufactured PPG. I should have checked here before I got the replacement. http://www.made-in-china.com/china-p...indscreen.html

By the time I had doubts that it wasn't PPG, they already started pulling of the trim.

I checked the moldings around the glass when I got home, and it doesn't seem like they did a good job. The moldings are not flush to the car, etc.

I may have take the hit and get it done properly somewhere else.

From what I gathered (unfortunately, after the crappy replacement), the acoustic glass is what to get. Find a glass shop that will replace with APTech glass, which is the same as the OE glass without the Honda/Acura logo.

From now on, when I need any work done, I will thoroughly research this forum before I make any move. Tomorrow will be tints, but it's someone that I know so I trust the job more than I would with some random shop. I have to chose between 25% to 35%. I don't want 15% or less because it's too dark for my taste.

If anyone can recommend a glass shop that does APTech glass, I would appreciate it.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repalced my windshield about 2 months ago, chip was too bad to be repaired; and only after having my 08 type s for only a couple months, I was so pissed, anyway my service advisor recommended only using OEM glass because there are flaws to be found in many aftermarket glass windshields, he said they had done many aftermarket windshields on earlier 3G TL's and quite a few came back with customers complaining of having motion sickness while driving their cars due to the glass not having uniform thickness across the windshield, so since my car is only a few months old I wanted it to maintain the intergrity that it came with from the factory, OEM glass for sure and I watched him install the windshield and I can tell you there is no difference in appearance or issues with wind noise or road noise windwhield creaking etc.

Last edited by skyfox23; 04-14-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Vroooom!!!

I was given a choice when I went to the SafeLite repair facility if I wanted "standard" glass or the acoustic OEM windshield. Of course since insurance was covering it, I wanted OEM. Instead of saying "Honda" at the bottom driver's side, it has the windshield logo (PPG and something else) at the passenger bottom. The glass looks uniform all around except for the slight smuges and fingerprints from the installer which I plan on cleaning this weekend. Good luck in getting it reinstalled.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I wonder... I checked on getting OEM glass any my insurance wouldn't cover it due to the age of the car (AmFam, 2004).

I know (and your insurance company will always tell you) that I have the right to go anywhere I want to get my service done, and i do not have to use their recommended shop.

Well, since they denied me getting OEM through their company - I wonder what they would say if I went to a place that ONLY had OEM (like having the dealership refer me). I wonder if they could still deny me?

If anyone has any comments about my previous post - I'm all ears. It looks as if the trim is either 1) very hard to put back on or 2) not flush with the windshield from the start, and we just never paid any attention considering there are 2 of us now with trim that doesnt fit right.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Vroooom!!!

I never knew an insurance company could mandate that you NOT use OEM parts for your car. Ummmkay......Good idea to try the dealership since all they carry is OEM glass. Couldn't hurt to try and I'm sure they could give you better info on the tabs as well.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

I had mine done over a year ago and made the same mistake. The squeaks went away but I notice near the bottom near the dash things are distorted a bit and that wind/road noise is worse. Thank god I got another chip now I just need it to crack so I can go with a OE windshield this time.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Here is a picture of a clip I'm talking about

This is a pretty decent close up

Here is a picture I took from the other side of the car to show you that I'm not sticking the lense right up to the crack - it's visible from 15 feet away if your at the right angle

Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
I never knew an insurance company could mandate that you NOT use OEM parts for your car. Ummmkay......Good idea to try the dealership since all they carry is OEM glass. Couldn't hurt to try and I'm sure they could give you better info on the tabs as well.

They don't/can't.

What they do is say, "We will only pay $xxx for the repair." knowing full well that OE Parts and/or labor will be $xxx + $yyy. You pay $yyy out of your pocket if you choose that shop.

That's why if they tell you to get, say, 3 estimates, you go to the 3 most expensive places you can find.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Even after it cured, it still squeaks

I also noticed something else today. Checked the top molding, and it appears that it's almost an inch lower than where it use to be. I can tell because of the mark left from the molding mark from the original windshield. I'm assuming it's squeaking because the f'ing cheap made in china windshield doesn't fit properly. I'm gonna have to give them a call tomorrow and raise hell.

BTW, anyone the the NYC area, avoid Four Star Auto Galss at all cost.

It sucks, but lesson learned on my part.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

Originally Posted by nextech

I also noticed something else today. Checked the top molding, and it appears that it's almost an inch lower than where it use to be. I can tell because of the mark left from the molding mark from the original windshield. I'm assuming it's squeaking because the f'ing cheap made in china windshield doesn't fit properly. I'm gonna have to give them a call tomorrow and raise hell.

Ya my molding was off a bit as well but no worries it blew halfway off and into the sunroof when I was driving up the highway a few months later lol
Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

Theyre four stars cause their service is too crappy to be 5 star.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mattgtp
Ya my molding was off a bit as well but no worries it blew halfway off and into the sunroof when I was driving up the highway a few months later lol
That's crazy.

I called them today because my windshield still creaks when I hit a bump or if there's body torsion, and part of the top molding is recessed in. I told them that I wanted APTech instead of this crappy Lamishield and they said they would replace with APTech at no cost if they find my complaint to be true.

It's the APTech and not the Acura APTech, but I guess that's ok.

Why the f couldn't they just do this from the start???

I hope this crap works out.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 PM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

Good luck and let us know how the new one works out. I will get mine re done this summer I hope I just need the chip to crack a little so i can put a claim in

Last edited by Mattgtp; 04-16-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Vroooom!!!

Originally Posted by mattgtp
good luck and let us know how the new one works out.
+1
Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
the OEM and factory glass for the TL is designed for a different purpose than the ones safelite and the other glass installers offer.

First is the acoustic glass:
The glass through various methods help keep road noise and sound out, one of the most annoying ones being heavy rain droplets.

then there is structure:
The OEM glass is very strong believe it or not. The Windshield in the TL is part of the structure of the car, it keeps the car from flexing too much and keeps it rigid. A windshield that isn't as strong will cause the car to flex and squeek more, and possibly leak more due to increased gaps when flexing. Most dangerous of all, if the windshield is under stress and a rock chips it, it could cause it to fail and shatter due to the imperfection.

One member here posted that the glass company broke 2, yes 2 aftermarket windshields installing them and the 3rd one cracked a bit later on. Be careful with your decision.

Word of advice, don't cheap out on a nice car like the TL. Its easy to say this, but I know how hard it is when you are in a tight situation when spending money on a new windshield isn't your first thought.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 PM
HOME SWEET HOME....

where exactly is this four star crap place... & i hope everything works out, whats ur insurance co cause if mine ever told me no u cant do such & such id tell them cancel my shit & get new insurance(maybe the other way around)...lol
Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pbcmedia
where exactly is this four star crap place... & i hope everything works out, whats ur insurance co cause if mine ever told me no u cant do such & such id tell them cancel my shit & get new insurance(maybe the other way around)...lol
Yeah, they're located in several places in NY and 1 in NJ. I'm not going through insurance because my deductable is high.

You're absolutely right csmeanace. I just wish I read up on all this stuff before I made the jump.

I stopped by the glass place to have them look and hear the problem. They claimed that the molding, and that replacing the molding will fix the problem, which is complete BS. Then the guy stuffs a strip of foam under the molding saying that this will get rid of the noise. As soon as I drive away, I hear the squeaks. Now they're saying that the have to relpace the molding, and if I want new glass, I have to pay, which is different than what they told me on the phone. Now I have to wait for management to see if they will approve the replacement.

There's no way a molding will fix this problem, because the problem is the poor fitting glass IMO.

This has been one horrible experience, and I would never go there again after this, and I would tell everyone to do the same.

I should hear from them today what they're gonna cover.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So I've had my TL-S for about a year and a half now - and I've already got 2 big rock chips and major pitting issues. (NY winters + an 80 mile a day commute certainly didn't help).

It does seem this windshield is more crack prone. With the same driving in my old Sentra I went 5 years and never actually had one chip that went all the way through.

I'm considering waiting a bit longer and then getting the glass replaced, but I'd hate to think I'm going to have to replace the windshield on the car every 2 years. Has anyone heard of or used that Clearplex stuff they advertise?

http://www.clearplex.com/
Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Lower you comprehensice deductible to "no deductible"....its one of the cheapest premiums for insurance. Its costing me 96.00 every 6 months just for the comp part.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Good news.

I was told that they will order the APTech glass for me and take care of the replacement.

I was thinking about ordering new moldings for my car from acuraoemparts.com, and having them install the new ones on my car.

Also, are there different APTech glass for the 2007-08 vs. 2004 - 06? I think I read somewhere that the part numbers are different for these.

Once they install the new glass, and if I'm happy with the work, I'll take back what I said about these guys.

If you have a small chip, I would get it repaired, or DIY repair. You won't notice it much, and much cheaper than replacing, and you don't have to rip out the original glass.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by NOTSKERDD
Lower you comprehensice deductible to "no deductible"....its one of the cheapest premiums for insurance. Its costing me 96.00 every 6 months just for the comp part.
Have to look at age of the insured driver, type of vehicle and driving history as well. 0 deductible insurance is on the higher expense side...

What I would recommend is that you can add OEM parts to be used rather than replacement brand to your policy. Cost a few bucks more, but you don't have to worry about this stuff, and thinner/inferior materials used in fenders/hoods/bumpers...
Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good advice - especially since I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks.

Geico doesn't have a $0 deductible option, but it was only a $30 increase for $50 deductible + full glass over my $500 deductible, so that seems to be a good bang for the buck. Hopefully theyll actually cover the cost of an OEM replacement though.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Vroooom!!!

Good news.

I was told that they will order the APTech glass for me and take care of the replacement.
Good. Keep us posted.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Advanced

Have to look at age of the insured driver, type of vehicle and driving history as well. 0 deductible insurance is on the higher expense side...

SANTA MONICA HAS ONE OF THE HIGHEST PREMIUMS IN LA COUNTY- AND THE RULE OF THUMB IS USUALLY 10-15% FOR FULL COMP ON THE TOTAL INSURANCE PREMIUM. $ 250 OR 500 COMPS -WILL NOT MAKE A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE ON THE TOTAL PREMIUM, NO MATTER HOW OLD THE PERSON IS- COMP IS BASED ON ZIP CODES AND TYPE OF CAR NOT DRIVER EXPERINCE. ITS WORTH IT TO HAVE "NO DEDUCTIBLE" . THIS APPLIES TO -FARMERS INSURANCE-GEICO-PROGRESSIVE AND STATE FARM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by NOTSKERDD

SANTA MONICA HAS ONE OF THE HIGHEST PREMIUMS IN LA COUNTY- AND THE RULE OF THUMB IS USUALLY 10-15% FOR FULL COMP ON THE TOTAL INSURANCE PREMIUM. $ 250 OR 500 COMPS -WILL NOT MAKE A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE ON THE TOTAL PREMIUM, NO MATTER HOW OLD THE PERSON IS- COMP IS BASED ON ZIP CODES AND TYPE OF CAR NOT DRIVER EXPERINCE. ITS WORTH IT TO HAVE "NO DEDUCTIBLE" . THIS APPLIES TO -FARMERS INSURANCE-GEICO-PROGRESSIVE AND STATE FARM.
I stand corrected