Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Tinting Question

I have searched the thread, but have not come across specific answers that i am looking for.

First question - the biggie - is what do I need to keep in mind when I look for a shop to do my tinting on a navi TL? I have read that the tint can mess with the navi. THis would be for the non-scratching metallic tint would it not?

Also - Does anyone know if there are any laws that would prevent me from removing the 3rd brake light to have the entire window tinted, and just reinstalling it after the fact? I don't have to have dark windows with a bright red lense just hanging out in the back window.

Since I'm typing - I have had tinted windows in just about every car that I have owned, and I cannot say that I have experienced any issues with my tint being scratched just from normal wear and tear - is this really that big of an issue, or whats all the hype of the moleskin? I don't see any reason for it IMHO.

Thanks all - and keep rocking the TL's
Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GLowrdr
I have searched the thread, but have not come across specific answers that i am looking for.

First question - the biggie - is what do I need to keep in mind when I look for a shop to do my tinting on a navi TL? I have read that the tint can mess with the navi. THis would be for the non-scratching metallic tint would it not?

Also - Does anyone know if there are any laws that would prevent me from removing the 3rd brake light to have the entire window tinted, and just reinstalling it after the fact? I don't have to have dark windows with a bright red lense just hanging out in the back window.

Since I'm typing - I have had tinted windows in just about every car that I have owned, and I cannot say that I have experienced any issues with my tint being scratched just from normal wear and tear - is this really that big of an issue, or whats all the hype of the moleskin? I don't see any reason for it IMHO.

Thanks all - and keep rocking the TL's

Since you have Navi make sure that the shop offers an option of a non-metallic film. Currently, (depending on the brand that they carry) they can come in ceramic or carbon based varieties. Your owners manual clearly states that the rear window should not be tinted with metallic film. Some have reported no problems at all with a metalized film, but why risk it? If your prospective tint shop doesn't carry an alternate go elsewhere.

Also, no one hand cuts anymore make sure that your shop uses a computer cut method. This will ensure a precise fit with a clean uniform edge on all windows.

On 3rd Gen TL's cutting around the brake light looks very clean. BUT if you still want to cover the entire window, there is most likely a template for this in the tinter's computer cut program. They can remove the brake light easily and reinstall it after the job is done.

As for scratching, there is an definite issue with Hondas and their door seals. Many members however, have reported no issue with their tints provided they clean their seals properly and regularly.

If you notice scratches, you can always install the moleskin at a later time.

Collin
Old 09-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool - thanks for the answers. I guess the only thing I'll have to do now is research a little to find a reputable place for tinting. I want to make sure I can find a place that will be around for a little while, and can warranty any issues such as bubbles or peeling.

I guess I will have to look at the back end of my car again, and see what the 3rd brake looks like, and if I want to cover it or not.

Hmmm.. maybe I should go with the hologram window tint - or mirror the bottom 6 inches of all my windows. That's what all the cool people do apparently