Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Window Tinting

When my windows were tinted, one had what appeared to have roller marks on the inside about 1 inch apart from top to bottom. The Tint firm said this had happened before on 2004 TL's and they gave me a felt like material to be placed inside the back door but it needed to be properly installed by Acura. The dealership said it was the fault of the tint firm and they never had that happen before. Well, I'm between a rock and you know what. Any thoughts? THX
Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Racer

Do the roller marks look like vertical scratches?
Click here for info from the 3G TL Garage
Old 01-14-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm Baaack!

Gimmee an "M"
Gimmee an "O"
Gimmee an "L"

oh to hell with it .. they are most likely scratches from the interior wipers. This is a known issue, kona gave you the link to the garage .. go to section 10 and look for the threads on moleskin.

Speaking from personal experience, you do not need Acura to do the install for you. It's easy and quick with the biggest concern being either putting a wrinkle in your door leather or breaking a clip.

The moleskin adds some protection from the tints getting scratched.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Arg.. I hate situations like your in. One place blames another and so on. I would get someone at the dealership to call someone at the national technical service line which the service techs have access too. They should know about the issue and help them with a solution.

I was lucky. My dealship knew about the issue. They also installed my tint. They told me they don't like using Moleskin because the windows are already under high pressure and chances are the moleskin adhesive will ware down and make a mess on you window and in your door. They told me if they find people with scratches they just replace the rubber strip in the door and retint the window until they get a combination that does not scratch. And they said it's usually fixed the first time.

Being an AZ just about every car has tinted windows so I'm sure they get that a lot. I hope you can get your situation fixed without too much trouble.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes we do call Tech Line and the gist of it from them is it is not a factory problem.
Does the glass get scratched without tint....no. Does the tint film get scratched....yes. Looks like a tinters problem they say.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, Acura doesn't install Moleskin (felt) and apparently, the tint guys knew about Moleskin (felt) cause they gave it to you. How many TLs have these guys done and how long have they been doing it? They should have informed you the tint could scratch without it and give you a reason why as well as other options like don't do it till this item is installed. It's on the tinters, they knew all along it would scratch. I would find another shop and if you search the threads, you'll bump into a lot Floridians who can recommend a shop.