3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will be doing ZKW-R clear lens swap. Need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Will be doing ZKW-R clear lens swap. Need some input.

I purcahsed the ZKW-R clear lenses for my 07 Type S and was wondering what the best thing to do to get the sharpest cutoff and most color? I dont necessarily want to bend the shield or remove the rubber stopper, but in terms of spacing the lens what is recommended to achieve this goal?
I have done this exact mod to my previous TL which was a 07 Base so im familiar with everything I need to do. I wasnt as happy as I thought I would be by simply swapping out the lenses as the cutoff didnt really get any sharper and I only gained a slight amount of color.
So now im thinking that I need to space the lens to get what I want. I know the ZKW replicaes are plug and play so how exactly do I go about spacing the lens closer or furthur to the bowl?

So again I want the cutoff to be sharper and I want more color. I did a lot of research and believe it or not most people claim the replicas are superior to the true ZKW's.

Thanks,
James
Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
I think you have it the other way around.
ZKWs > ZKW-R

I believe the best way to space out the lens is to use 'cereal box spacers'.
I ventured into HID planet and it seems to be common practice to use 'cereal box spacers' (even in other projectors/lens).

I haven't spaced out my lens yet...
I heard that some ZKW-R don't need spacing while others due.

My ZKW-R gave me a more pronounced cut-off than the Fresnel lens... but my color band was only ever so slightly more noticeable. I'm not sure if that's also because of my Philips 85122+ or not (as the bulb has a slightly-yellow tint to the output).
Old 01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
James - I have yet to read a single post citing the replicas to be superior to the original...that's not to say I have read everything, but all research that I did prior to purchasing ZKW-r cited that the replicas, while and improvement over stock, are NOT superior to the ZKWs.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies!! Yes you guys read it correctly. I have read multiple posts mainly on HID planet where the person claimed the replicas were actually better. I guess visually looking at the lens the replicas even appear to be slightly more clear as well. I also have seen many side by side pictures where there was no difference at all. So not only does the replica lens not require "cereal boxes" to fit correctly, but they also cost 3 times less than the real ZKW's.

I guess I will just tinker with the lenses and spacing myself and see what I come up with.

Anymore input is appreciated im just trying to figure out what people have done to get the sharpest and most colorful cutoff using the ZKW-R lenses.

James
Old 01-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
PM JNC with this thread. he probably has the answer to your question.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I'M GOING IN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did alot alot of research on HID planet before I did the zkw-R and found that ZKW-R lense is fine if you get the real ones your goin to be paying alot for only a very little bit of a diffrence I'm not bashing any one on here but don't listen to alot of people on this forum they hear things and repeat them to others and act if tho they know of things when they haven don't shit. Really make a account on HID planet and research all of those hid fanatics have done hundrens of tl zkw swaps and they all say there is very little diffrence and you pay way less. Please no one take Ofence as to what I said as I'm just tired of people miss leading others there are people here on the forum tho that know there shit
Old 01-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Pro

I have the ZKW-R and didnt do any type of spacing and have a perfect cut off. Another thing you can do is bend the shield down for more light but it takes away your cutoff
Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I'M GOING IN

By the way I set my notches on the replicas to 12 o'clock onthe projects take your time i did the cereal box rings and didn't see that much of a diffrence to me but I did removethe plastic spacer and seen tons of diffrent colors and
some people say that you lose output but I have not
Old 01-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hondadna4
I did alot alot of research on HID planet before I did the zkw-R and found that ZKW-R lense is fine if you get the real ones your goin to be paying alot for only a very little bit of a diffrence I'm not bashing any one on here but don't listen to alot of people on this forum they hear things and repeat them to others and act if tho they know of things when they haven don't shit. Really make a account on HID planet and research all of those hid fanatics have done hundrens of tl zkw swaps and they all say there is very little diffrence and you pay way less. Please no one take Ofence as to what I said as I'm just tired of people miss leading others there are people here on the forum tho that know there shit
No I know I have done my share of research as well and probably have 5 retrofits of my own under my belt. I have been a memer on the hid forums for probably almost 10 years. Anyway, I was just basing my comments on zkw vs zkw r mainly on retros guys have done and posted pictures comparig the two right next to eachother.

Either way I will do a lot of messing around with them and see what comes up with the best results.

Thanks again,
James
Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Here is a post I made a while ago showing all three lenses in question.

If spaced/installed properly then an average Joe can not tell the difference between the output of both the ZKW and the ZKW-R BUT a person who has had experience with both of them in the past cant easily spot the difference. ZKW-R behave differently than authentic ZKW lens output. Output is almost identical if you look at wall shots i.e. from distance less than 30 feet, its only when you increase the distance that you notice the difference. Cut off from the TL projector paired with ZKW lens, oddly enough, tends to sharpen as you increase the distance where as with the replicas it looses sharpness as you increase the distance, hope that makes sense.

Originally Posted by JnC
Funny how we call them ZKW replicas where in reality they are TL lens replicas. ZKW focal point is totally different than the OEM TL lenses and the replica lenses. Authentic ZKW lenses have a lower focal point than the TL and the replicas. There is a bit of output difference, I personally prefer output of the real ZKWs but the replicas are still a huge upgrade over the stock fresnel lenses.

Here are some pictures of all three, from left the OEM TL lens, replica and then the real ZKW.

Focal length comparison

All three

OEM vs. Replica

Replica vs. Real ZKW

Old 01-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
jnc, i dont think his question is to which is better but what can he do to get the best ouput from zkw-r lenses. cutoff and color, spacers?
Old 01-09-2010, 06:19 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

The replicas have a thicker edge than the ZKWs, sometimes its very tough to snap the lens holder back in place so adding a tiny spacer is very tough and it doesnt really yield better output. The OEM shield has to be pushed back about 0.1~0.5 mm to get the best output from the projector. The best way to do it is to push the shield back with your index finger ever so slightly before installing the lens.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Pro

i can tell you that JNC did my headlights with the Real ZKW lenses and they cut off and color output with OEM bulbs are way better than stock! i'm very happy since it projects the cut off very sharp and the color switches in a nice way now!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
I've noticed that the further away I get from a wall with my ZKW-R the less noticeable my cut-off becomes. Also, my cut-off doesn't seem to have a very pronounced blue cut off but more a tri-toned sort of color. But the closer I get to a wall, my ZKW-R become very distinct and the blue cut-off becomes more pronounced.

I've seen vids and images of true ZKW and their blue cut-off seems to "show up" more often even when they are further/closer in comparison to my ZKW-R.

I had no issues with installing my ZKW-R. They fit in perfectly.
I had not used any spacers either.

edit: Essentially I'm very happy with the ZKW-R. For 35 dollars versus a few hundred I can't complain.
I've noticed a big difference in comparison to the stock Fresnel lens.
I paired my ZKW-R with Philips 85122+ and it made it all the better.

Last edited by o4Komodo; 01-10-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JnC
The replicas have a thicker edge than the ZKWs, sometimes its very tough to snap the lens holder back in place so adding a tiny spacer is very tough and it doesnt really yield better output. The OEM shield has to be pushed back about 0.1~0.5 mm to get the best output from the projector. The best way to do it is to push the shield back with your index finger ever so slightly before installing the lens.
Ok so you recommend installing the ZKW-R's as is (since there isnt room to space them anyway because the thick edge), and push the shield slightly closer to the bulb?
Another way I thought about spacing the lens is by maybe adding spacers between the bowl and the lens holder. Is that possible? I figure this would be the only way to space the replica lens because it has that thick edge.

James
Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ You dont need spacers with the replica lenses. Take out the old lens, touch the middle of the cut of shield with your index finger and push it slightly after that pop the new lens in place and install the lens holder.