Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will '05 seats fit '07 TL Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 06:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
Ya it is a seat position sensor. I unplugged mine and the airbag light came on. And I had to clear the DTC using my HDS. The light won't go out even if you reconnect it. The DTC was a seat position sensor Open / failure.
Also this matches the connector.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/33386447055...sAAOSw~mdgCQp4
will the light go out if I clear it with a HDS?
Old 08-03-2021, 06:06 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by CTucker
will the light go out if I clear it with a HDS?
if you are using the same ODS sensor in the passenger seat left arm that you originally have in your 04 and you're using the original 04 SRS unit then they should be already initialized or made it together. If you have any other combination no your airbag light won't stay on. And if there's nothing else wrong with it then yes you will still need to reset it because if you disconnect that cable on a my 05 for example you have to clear the DTC. So those are two things I could turn your back light on. But there may be more it just depends on what the system says
Old 08-04-2021, 02:49 PM
Cruisin'

if you are using the same ODS sensor in the passenger seat left arm that you originally have in your 04 and you're using the original 04 SRS unit then they should be already initialized or made it together. If you have any other combination no your airbag light won't stay on. And if there's nothing else wrong with it then yes you will still need to reset it because if you disconnect that cable on a my 05 for example you have to clear the DTC. So those are two things I could turn your back light on. But there may be more it just depends on what the system says
Ok. So I pulled the ODS out of my original 04 passenger seat today. My 04 still has the SRS module that it came with. So now I need to put the 04 ODS in my 05 passenger seat (that I have in my 04 now). Then get a HDS to clear the codes. Correct? And could you clarify your last post. I think it's a typo but to be sure. The "any other combination " line. Thank you again for all this help.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:22 PM
Drifting

combination 04 SRS with 05 ODS (OPDS) or 05 SRS with 04 ODS (OPDS)
Does your 04 have a passenger seat airbag cutoff warning light on your dashboard on the Hazzard button?
I bet not since the weight sensor in the passenger seat was introduced in 2005

Last edited by Chad05TL; 08-04-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:03 PM
Drifting

At this moment I would try to use the 04 SRS and the 04 OPDS. Because the newer 05 SRS unit will be looking for the passenger seat weight sensor..
And the 04 harness does not have the power cable or the ground for that weight sensor. Ah, and not only that, the 04 does not have the SRS unit connection in the harness to connects to the weight sensor.
So there are 3 connections that you would have to get real creative with in order to use the 05 SRS and the 05 OPDS.
So, I would use the 04 SRS unit and the 04 OPDS and leave the weight sensor of the passenger seat unplugged. (Sounds like that is what you are doing)
The schematic shows that weight sensor does not go through the OPDS... So that is good that it wont bother the OPDS. And that is better for compatibility. I mean we can leave the seat weight sensor unplugged and the 04 SRS unit won't even be looking for it.. because it was not programmed to look for it.
So I would leave the weight sensor unplugged
note: the difference in heat warmers embedded in the seat might cause the 04 OPDS to need to be initialized. Unless the connections there are the same , then it will need to be addressed. And I have not compared the "physical connections" on the 04 vs. the 05. I went from 05 to 07/08. But you need a much larger upgrade to do that.. Including a new cluster. And you have to swap a few pins on the 07/08 SRS unit.. Its real fun. I even hard to learn why my initialization process kept failing. I learned from a guy in another state who did repairs on SRS units that the passenger seat has to be pulled forward all the way up , and the back rest has to be all the way forward.. Then you run through the initialization process in the HDS. crazy!

Last edited by Chad05TL; 08-04-2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

At this moment I would try to use the 04 SRS and the 04 OPDS. Because the newer 05 SRS unit will be looking for the passenger seat weight sensor..
And the 04 harness does not have the power cable or the ground for that weight sensor. Ah, and not only that, the 04 does not have the SRS unit connection in the harness to connects to the weight sensor.
So there are 3 connections that you would have to get real creative with in order to use the 05 SRS and the 05 OPDS.
So, I would use the 04 SRS unit and the 04 OPDS and leave the weight sensor of the passenger seat unplugged. (Sounds like that is what you are doing)
The schematic shows that weight sensor does not go through the OPDS... So that is good that it wont bother the OPDS. And that is better for compatibility. I mean we can leave the seat weight sensor unplugged and the 04 SRS unit won't even be looking for it.. because it was not programmed to look for it.
So I would leave the weight sensor unplugged
note: the difference in heat warmers embedded in the seat might cause the 04 OPDS to need to be initialized. Unless the connections there are the same , then it will need to be addressed. And I have not compared the "physical connections" on the 04 vs. the 05. I went from 05 to 07/08. But you need a much larger upgrade to do that.. Including a new cluster. And you have to swap a few pins on the 07/08 SRS unit.. Its real fun. I even hard to learn why my initialization process kept failing. I learned from a guy in another state who did repairs on SRS units that the passenger seat has to be pulled forward all the way up , and the back rest has to be all the way forward.. Then you run through the initialization process in the HDS. crazy!

So, I put the 04 OPDS into the 05 seat. The OPDS plugs were identical. The entire set up was the same. Put the seat all the way forward and the back all the way up. Turned the key to the on position for about 10 sec and then started the car. No more SRS light on the dash!!! Drove it around the block and everything seems to be as it should be. I can't thank you enough for all the help and input you gave me! I really do appreciate it. That little red light was annoying af! Again, thank you so much!
Old 08-05-2021, 03:44 PM
Drifting

No problem. You got lucky the opds didn't see any differences between the 2 different seats. And fortunately the weight sensor doesn't go through the opds . And fortunately there were no dtc"s in your 04 srs or opds. It wouldn't be that "easy" between other years. Congrats! And it probably did not need to be initialized because your 04 srs and opds were already working as a pair so, kudos.
By the way leaning the Bottom seat and the back seat forward is part of the initialization process that you go through the software with. So I doubt it had anything to do with what you were working on just now

Last edited by Chad05TL; 08-05-2021 at 03:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CTucker (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:50 PM
Cruisin'

No problem. You got lucky the opds didn't see any differences between the 2 different seats. And fortunately the weight sensor doesn't go through the opds . And fortunately there were no dtc"s in your 04 srs or opds. It wouldn't be that "easy" between other years. Congrats! And it probably did not need to be initialized because your 04 srs and opds were already working as a pair so, kudos.
I dont mind this kind of luck every once and a while. It's usually the other kind lol. Honestly, I am surprised that there are this many differences between the 04 and 05. Really didn't think that when I bought the parts car. Was under the assumption that 04-06 were all basically the same minus the navi and non navi. But, that's what I get for assuming. Thanks again..
Old 08-09-2021, 08:52 AM
Drifting

added note for future onlookers..
you may be able to reset any SRS codes this way. Some codes are sticky though..