3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife pulled the rug out from under me..(long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife pulled the rug out from under me..(long)

It started 8 months ago, we decided to start looking into getting a new car for me. We looked at the Honda Accord which, at the time, was $30K+. So we went across the street to Acura and saw the TL and I fell in love with it immediately and even my wife agreed it was a great looking car. We took it for a test drive and while I didn't like the way it drove, especially at slow speeds, I think it was because it was AT and I'm used to Manual. Anyways, we decided then, we would get the TL, but not until fall when the wifes car(CRV) is paid off.

Once the info on the 07 TL came out, I decided it was better to buy the 06 at a good discount, then wait and pay far more for the 07. Well, last weekend wife said we could go ahead and get started on buying the car So on Friday I started e-mailing the local Acura dealers for prices. By Saturday I had several offers, but nothing worthwhile, so I counter offered...

All of a sudden the wife starts going off about what the monthly payments would be (about $600) and that we'd be paying this for 6 years. Then she says if anything happens we would have to give up the car. I told her thats highly unlikely, but she wouldn't give up. So now she says we need to look at the Accord instead. So I look into it and find the 06 Accord EX V6 W/Navi(4th gen), no bluetooth, no HID's, 244HP/211FT LBS of torque, softer ride and booooooring body style for $27K OTD. The TL wa going to be $34-$35K OTD.

So now she says theres not enough difference between the Accord and TL to justify the $7-$8 higher price tag for the TL. So after 8 months of research and anticipation she changes her mind and makes me get the friggin Accord. I'm still pissed that I couldn't get my TL, but the deal is done and there's nothing I can do about it. It's still a nice car, I got it in Graphite Pearl w/Gray leather interior and just got it tinted this morning. I'm using a lot of what I learned on here with the Accord, cause there aren't any good Accord sites that I have found.

Thanks for letting me rant, I just had to get that off my chest....
Old 08-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there's a world of difference in the two cars.. i think you just need to show her who's boss hehehe
Old 08-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

it's time to pull out the "man card"!!!

depending where you are, you might even be able to get better than 34-35k OTD...
Old 08-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tell her to look at the resale values (should you have to get rid of it) and that the TL holds its value better.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Advanced

Wow dude, thats unfortunate. I had the same idea when I was looking to first see a new accord. I'm a huge honda fan, and with the quality and price of the accord I was pretty much focused, up until the test drive. My final decision was between a certified pre-owned TL and a new accord. Normally people would say I'm crazy for getting used over new. But if they took both vehicles for a test drive like I did you would know I made the right decision. Some people would also say you save more money over time with the accord ( gas, maintenance, washing it weekly because she's so beautiful), but you get what you pay for. For me I felt it was time I get a vehicle I would love to drive as well as one that stands out among others. I'm proud to own a TL, and to be a member of a forum of other proud owners. I hope that your accord doesn't lose too much trade in value so you can go trade it in for a TL, then REALLY be satisfied. Take back whats yours man!!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:22 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

It is hard to justify $8k more for Bluetooth, 5.1 surround sound, bi-xenons, and 14 more horsepower. I know there are some minor details but $8k is significant and the Accord is by no means a POS. It's a great compromise.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Racer

I tried to explain to her about the differences, but she's a woman and doesn't really know about cars, to her there just a way to get around. I do have to admit she is right that it will be cheaper in the long run, but didn't grasp the concept of better resale value and standing out from the crowd. I told her from day 1 I didn't want an Accord because everybody and their brother has an Accord, but you don't see many TL's here (Orlando,FL area). I guess I'll just have to deal with this one until we pay it down enough to where it's worth more than we owe and then I WILL GET MY TL!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
It is hard to justify $8k more for Bluetooth, 5.1 surround sound, bi-xenons, and 14 more horsepower. I know there are some minor details but $8k is significant and the Accord is by no means a POS. It's a great compromise.

That what she said and thats why I have an Accord...LOL
Old 08-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chfields
That what she said and thats why I have an Accord...LOL
Here are some pics of my new ride

Old 08-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Atleast we know who wears the pants int he relationship. My dad buys a new Corvette every few years, he doesnt ask mom, he just does it.

Is it going to be a combined income paying for the car or completely from you?

My dad made it clear to my mom.............Im paying for it.........you dont worry about it.

Eitherway congrats on a nice car
Old 08-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Racer

I think Burt Reynolds and crew need to come up with a "man-law" for this type of situation.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Racer

Well, my wife and I share in all the decision making and we are both paying for it. I made her compromise and buy an $800 mattress instead of a $1500 one (the $800 one is better), I let her get a $3000 leather couch set, and I get a new car. At Christmas, I get to upgrade my computer and pass mine down to my son.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Adamo0926
I think Burt Reynolds and crew need to come up with a "man-law" for this type of situation.
Yeah like instead of putting your finger in the beer, you sit naked in the TL and that means you have to buy it..............
Old 08-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lembowski
Yeah like instead of putting your finger in the beer, you sit naked in the TL and that means you have to buy it..............
Old 08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
The Boss

It started 8 months ago, we decided to start looking into getting a new car for me. We looked at the Honda Accord which, at the time, was $30K+. So we went across the street to Acura and saw the TL and I fell in love with it immediately and even my wife agreed it was a great looking car. We took it for a test drive and while I didn't like the way it drove, especially at slow speeds, I think it was because it was AT and I'm used to Manual. Anyways, we decided then, we would get the TL, but not until fall when the wifes car(CRV) is paid off.

Once the info on the 07 TL came out, I decided it was better to buy the 06 at a good discount, then wait and pay far more for the 07. Well, last weekend wife said we could go ahead and get started on buying the car So on Friday I started e-mailing the local Acura dealers for prices. By Saturday I had several offers, but nothing worthwhile, so I counter offered...

All of a sudden the wife starts going off about what the monthly payments would be (about $600) and that we'd be paying this for 6 years. Then she says if anything happens we would have to give up the car. I told her thats highly unlikely, but she wouldn't give up. So now she says we need to look at the Accord instead. So I look into it and find the 06 Accord EX V6 W/Navi(4th gen), no bluetooth, no HID's, 244HP/211FT LBS of torque, softer ride and booooooring body style for $27K OTD. The TL wa going to be $34-$35K OTD.

So now she says theres not enough difference between the Accord and TL to justify the $7-$8 higher price tag for the TL. So after 8 months of research and anticipation she changes her mind and makes me get the friggin Accord. I'm still pissed that I couldn't get my TL, but the deal is done and there's nothing I can do about it. It's still a nice car, I got it in Graphite Pearl w/Gray leather interior and just got it tinted this morning. I'm using a lot of what I learned on here with the Accord, cause there aren't any good Accord sites that I have found.

Thanks for letting me rant, I just had to get that off my chest....

sorry to hear that.... but obviously you don't wear the pants in the house.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda Fan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
trade in the accord and the wife and get a TL LOL
Old 08-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Compromising is good for the marriage. And the Accord is a very good car. It's a win-win deal. Enjoy your new car.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:16 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I sincerely hope everyone here who mentions "wearing the pants" is kidding. A relationship is made up of bad and good, give and take, compromises - life in and of itself is about compromises.

Had you rather drive a TL (a car that is technically not superior to the Accord in ways that count, such as reliability) for 5 years - at which no point will this car love you, bring you great status, not so much as even increase in value - or had you rather have a lifetime of love and commitment from another human?

I think some of you here are voicing some fairly ridiculous, childish opinions.

TLs are a dime a dozen in my neighborhood. Real love is something some people don't find in a lifetime.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:19 PM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

what car does your wife drive? maybe since the new car was for you she decided the accord was fine for you, and the tl would be to high end. which it is compared to the honda accord. I just bought myself a 06 tl with nav, and i am coming from a 04 accord v6 let me tell you i am no normal honda anymore. It drives much better, is more high end, is a great bang for the buck. also when i see some basic bmw, merce etc i think to myself they paid for the name and way to much for what it is, and got this ugle interior and i got this kick ass one plus im faster..
Old 08-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

LOST ANOTHER ONE TO HONDA
Old 08-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Instructor

being a TL owner, i am proud that i own the car and i enjoy every bits of it. however, i do agree that accord is a very good compromise. IMO, you should get a car that makes you happy. the difference in price is significant, so it really comes down to whether you want to be rather satisfied and pay less, or pay more and be very satisfied. this is subjective and it will vary from person to person.

i am single so i am in no place to comment on your wife's action. but still, i'd like to congrat you with your new accord!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:27 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

No one can argue that the Accord just makes good sense, in every way. Safety, reliability, features, and financially. It's so sensible that people think it's boring. I dont, I like the Accords very much. I have a second generation TL and I can tell you now, no way would I pay $8k more for a TL than a loaded Accord EX-V6 Navi. THAT is what doesn't make financial sense.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Racer

I sincerely hope everyone here who mentions "wearing the pants" is kidding. A relationship is made up of bad and good, give and take, compromises - life in and of itself is about compromises.

Had you rather drive a TL (a car that is technically not superior to the Accord in ways that count, such as reliability) for 5 years - at which no point will this car love you, bring you great status, not so much as even increase in value - or had you rather have a lifetime of love and commitment from another human?

TLs are a dime a dozen in my neighborhood. Real love is something some people don't find in a lifetime.
Bravo!! Well said!! I figure most of those are single guys..As a matter of fact, 6 years ago I didn't really beleive in marriage, I didn't think there was anyone I would be willing to spend the rest of my life with, but I did find her (online actually) and if I have to drive a top of the line Accord instead of a TL, then so be it, after all, it's just a car, you can get those anywhere, my wife is 1 of a kind!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bravo!! Well said!! I figure most of those are single guys..As a matter of fact, 6 years ago I didn't really beleive in marriage, I didn't think there was anyone I would be willing to spend the rest of my life with, but I did find her (online actually) and if I have to drive a top of the line Accord instead of a TL, then so be it, after all, it's just a car, you can get those anywhere, my wife is 1 of a kind!!!
Now THAT my friend, is well said!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
sorry to hear that.... but obviously you don't wear the pants in the house.
Well, actually, you are wrong, because had I pushed it, I would have the TL, but then I have to live with an upset wife. If it's a choice of getting what I want or keeping my wife happy, the wife wins everytime, when she's happy, I'm happy.

Am I upset I didn't get the TL? Yeah, but I still got a great car, at least she didn't make me get a Toyota Camry
Old 08-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I was in the same boat about two and a half years ago. I wanted a TL, but AT THE TIME could not justify the price difference. Yeah I made a mistake because I'm now making roughly $20,000 more than I did two years ago. I wish I had gotten a TL, but then I look at the price of gas, and I'm glad I didn't. Then I see the inside of a TL, and the outside, and I wish I had gotten one. Then I look at the price difference, and I'm glad I didn't get one.

AKA, it goes back and forth for me. I can add HIDs, Bluetooth, and 5.1 to my Accord. In fact, I'm thinking of getting the Ron Jon body kit for the Accord sedan to up the looks of the car. It would probably be about $1600 painted for this kit. After that, some new wheels, etc., and I would be happy with this car.

You have to do what makes you happy. To hell what everyone else says.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Racer

gatrhumpy,

That is too funny and too true!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, actually, you are wrong, because had I pushed it, I would have the TL, but then I have to live with an upset wife. If it's a choice of getting what I want or keeping my wife happy, the wife wins everytime, when she's happy, I'm happy.

Am I upset I didn't get the TL? Yeah, but I still got a great car, at least she didn't make me get a Toyota Camry

Don't listen to what any of them say. Hell, I'm a signle 30 year old male, so maybe it's just the age factor and trust me, they are speaking from inexperience. Remember, at that age, it's cool to act all tough. Back on topic, best of luck with your new car, it's definitely a great car indeed and I love the color choice!!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:02 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the others in that the Accord is a great buy; don't be sad. No reason to be. You have the TL, really; just badged and dressed slightly different, that's all. I think that you made a wise choice; you'll probably be just as happy in the long run. The next time you're ready to buy - the TL will probably be based on George Jetson's old chassis....

Although I don't know your financial situation... but I traded in my 04 Accord V6 6MT Coupe w/ navigation for the TL and I was just even with my loan (only about $100 or so to the good, so I had to finance the entire $36,000+)... But I wanted the TL badly so I didn't care what the payment was and now I too, pay $645 p/month for 6-years - although, I'm down to about 5 years now [woohoo!]. It's ridicuous. I recently decided that I'm going to pay a lot more p/month just to get the freaking thing paid off ASAP. Geez...for a few hundred more p/month [and a few more years] I could have bought a shack at the beach instead. LOL.

Enjoy the Accord!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Racer

My payments on the Accord are $513 a month. We are going to pay $600 and pay it off early to save on interest.

Don't listen to what any of them say. Hell, I'm a signle 30 year old male, so maybe it's just the age factor and trust me, they are speaking from inexperience. Remember, at that age, it's cool to act all tough. Back on topic, best of luck with your new car, it's definitely a great car indeed and I love the color choice!!
There were only 3 with that color combo w/Navi in the whole state. I had to drive to Cocoa Beach (about 50 miles) and that was the closest. Made for a great drive home tho.....All in all, I'm a happy camper......
Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All in all, I'm a happy camper......
And that is certainly what counts!

I used to go to this website when I had the Accord: www.driveaccord.net

Best wishes!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Your Accord is VERY nice. Enjoy it in good health and let your wife win. Next time though, you need to reserve the right to make the new car choice. Good marriages are based on compromise.

I would be elated to drive that new Accord. Remember when you had no car? ...or a used piece of crap? Do you pay attention to what the VAST majority of people use as cars everyday? Your cup is half full, not half empty.

Enjoy your beautiful new car and pick your battles.

(Married 13 years, 13 of 'em good)

Here are some pics of my new ride

Old 08-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
sorry man
Old 08-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really wanted a TL and had to compromise with the wifey then why didn't you get a used one with below 15 or 20k miles?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Racer

Agreed!!

Some of the moronic advice being given is so out of touch with reality, it's not even funny. Pathetic is a better description. Interesting how many of these Dr. Laura's aren't even 30 yet.

Any couple that is looking at a $600+ car note for six years (in and of itself mind-boggling to me) had better be in agreement.

There are a lot of gives and takes in a marriage. Fortunately for me, the only material item I care about is my car, so I roll over on everything else and earn "Style points" for it!

That's the real secret, don't let 'em know what you really care about.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Racer

I'm checking the site now...
Old 08-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
If you really wanted a TL and had to compromise with the wifey then why didn't you get a used one with below 15 or 20k miles?
Neither of us are interested in buying used cars at this point. I may as well be happy with what I have, since there's nothing I can do about it now. In a couple years when the Accord is worth more than I owe, I'll look at getting a TL, by then, the new 09 should be out.........
Old 08-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
My wife says she doesn't care what car I get (within reason of course) as long as we go on nice vacations and I don't bitch about the cost. Win-win situation.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
If it's a choice of getting what I want or keeping my wife happy, the wife wins everytime, when she's happy, I'm happy.

And it could have been a Ford 500, Chevy Malibu or Pontiac Aztec...
Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jdb8805
Tell her to look at the resale values (should you have to get rid of it) and that the TL holds its value better.
Actually, The Honda Accord holds its value better than the TL. It's top of the list.

Quick Reply: Wife pulled the rug out from under me..(long)