Why No Heads Up Display?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005 | 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Do you have any idea how much stingers are a piece? Not cheap. Unit replacement cost is 38k.(dunno if that includes launcher, either way you would be adding at least that much to the price. but I gotta admit, they are nice.
Old 05-26-2005 | 12:54 PM
Advanced

The OEM system in the Cadilac is the Raytheon NightDriver system. The thermal image is projected on the windshield as a HUD display. It can be installed as an aftermarket add-on for $3499. See the link. Note that no other instruments are shown on the HUD, just the thermal image.

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/night...ightdriver.php

I work for Raytheon (not on this system). The technology used is very similar to the targeting system on heat seeking missles like the sidewinder.
Old 05-26-2005 | 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Looks like it uses thermal (people are pretty bright). I dunno if its wortth that much though, unless maybe you are in a really secluded area with lots of people running accross the street. If someone could get a pic with the TLs high beams on at night aon a street with no lights that would be great. No flash, normal exposure time.
Old 05-26-2005 | 02:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
Acura has used HUD in sevearl concept cars. The only production models with it though are the cars sold in Japan.

There are a LOT of things that Acuras are missing in the states but can be had in Japan or Europe. Why are some things missing? The bean counters. Yep, HUD is on the 5 Series as an option and not a cheap one at that. Acura is on the kick of "bang for the buck". They attempt to give you a bunch of techno stuff for a decent price compaired with the competition. Look at the RL. Heated and Cooled seats else where in the world, EXCEPT in the US. The JDM Accord (our TSX) has a lane departure system and seat belts/ air bags that "stand" ready when sensors determine that an accident cannot be avoided. Plus Honda has their own "Night Vision" system but not here.

So I'd say that Acura is well aware of the HUD and other items "wish list" but is comes down to building the cars to a price point. Now if Acura started doing what M-B is going to start doing again, then we will all have our wishes. Now, will we all be willing to pay the price for our wishes?
The Canadian version of the RL has cooled seats? What the heck do they need that for? (Although I know someone considering the RL who might consider a trip north of the border just for that feature. )
Old 05-26-2005 | 02:46 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

All kinds of interesting things being said here...

Originally Posted by DanG
The TL's speedometer is difficult to read. In my part of the world, common speed limits are 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, and 70. The TL doesn't mark any of these. Instead, they highlight 20, 40, 60, and 80. These are speed limits that aren't frequently seen.
Simple...no one goes the speed limit. Everyone goes AT LEAST 5 over; therefore, 20, 40, 60, etc. make sense.

Originally Posted by Road Rage
I think HUD's are for frustrated fighter jocks - personally, I do not need my speed indicated for anyone to view. That is why I passed on it on my Corvettes.

The Pontiac NEEDS a HUD - the rest of its driving dynamics are so cruddy, it must detract from that fact.
As insightful as always...

Originally Posted by EpiK
The Canadian version of the RL has cooled seats? What the heck do they need that for?
I guess the same reason eskimo's need refrigerators...

Now, honestly, the whole HUD thing seems like a waste of money. If I want to look at the speedometer, I glance down, much like if I want to look at my mirrors to see what's behind or beside me. Also, can't most of you tell how fast you're going, ballpark? Seems to come naturally to me.

Oh well, to each his own. I don't see the point in navi, either. Bottom line is the TL doesn't have it; therefore, if you want it, you have to go aftermarket...that or buy a different car. Doubt it will be on the 4th gen TL, either...check the thread about what people would like to see on the 4th gen...don't remember seeing one mention of HUD, and I'd be willing to bet that sentiment carries over to the general population, as well.
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

If you dont see how navi benefits people... Wow, even people without it think its definatly great technology and really helps some people. As for the HUD, it is more of a look at this thing, but it does make driving slightly safer....
Old 05-27-2005 | 06:32 AM
Pro

Why no HUD? Economics...

With any vehicle project the manufacturer has a budget to work from with only so many dollars allocated to it.

The decision to include specific features boils down to providing those things that the company thinks gives them the most bang for the buck in the marketplace - those features the manufacturer thinks will be the biggest draw. HUD isn't one of them.

The market isn't demanding it, the buff rags hardly ever talk about the feature when it's present, and the manufacturers that offer it don't put it front and center in their advertising. It just isn't a big draw to the larger audience.

Honda elected to pursue a nav system because it has broader market appeal and more visibility as a selling point.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with HUD or there isn't benefit to it. It's simply that, in the greater scheme of things, HUD falls far lower on the marketing importance list than other features.
Old 05-27-2005 | 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

perhaps the future TL has an automatic lip gloss tool and make up pads for the ladies
Old 05-27-2005 | 02:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Good writeup, I believe Cadillac dropped the thermal imaging system option for their HUD because of low sales. HUD's are essential for combat aircraft but still quite the novelty on cars.

Originally Posted by kosh2258
With any vehicle project the manufacturer has a budget to work from with only so many dollars allocated to it.

The decision to include specific features boils down to providing those things that the company thinks gives them the most bang for the buck in the marketplace - those features the manufacturer thinks will be the biggest draw. HUD isn't one of them.

The market isn't demanding it, the buff rags hardly ever talk about the feature when it's present, and the manufacturers that offer it don't put it front and center in their advertising. It just isn't a big draw to the larger audience.

Honda elected to pursue a nav system because it has broader market appeal and more visibility as a selling point.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with HUD or there isn't benefit to it. It's simply that, in the greater scheme of things, HUD falls far lower on the marketing importance list than other features.
Old 05-27-2005 | 07:09 PM
Drifting

As in the Rolling Stones song....."You can't always get what you want"....you get what you need!!
Old 05-27-2005 | 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Traffic is a bitch, I would love the ability to blow away a few cars in front of me.
Old 05-28-2005 | 03:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by crazymjb
How well can one see the HUD when driving into direct sunlight? It is definatly a cool feature, and I would pay 1k more for it, the only problem is getting a little too distracted(well, at least you can see the road unlike the navi). Nightvision would be great!
I also happen to own a GTP, and have HUD in it. It is actually quite easy to read. The only time it is hard to read, is when I'm driving on white pavement in direct sunlight. Otherwise, I can almost always read it.

I like it a lot actually. Someone else suggested that the display would be projected for all to see. Actually only the driver can see it. Most people in my car actually are surprised to find out I even have HUD. The new Grand Prix's have the navi integrated with the HUD too. I saw one, and wished my G35 and TL had that.

I agree with a previous poster, in that I think most that say it is stupid, have never used one. At first you may think it's a gimmick, but trust me. It's much nicer to be able to keep track of your speed without taking your eyes of the road, then it is to look down at your instrument cluster. Especially when your radar detector goes beserk, or the speed limit changes, etc. If any of your guages goes into the red or warning lights go on, there is also a bright message in the HUD that tells you to check your guages. There is also a low fuel indicator in there too.

It's also nice, to scan radio stations, switch CD's, or switch tracks, all without taking your eyes off the road.

As for GM's accessory retained power, I actually love that feature, and also wish our G35 and TL had that. Not so much so you can listen to the radio when you turn the ignition off (which I actually do on occasion), but for other reasons.

For example, I don't know how many times I've turned the ignition off, and forgot to close the sunroof. Why is it, you can't even put the car in ACC to close the sunroof? Why do you have to actually put the key in the run position?

Also, in my pontiac, if you leave the glove box open, or leave the map lights on, leave a door open, or leave the trunk open, etc. The car will shut the lights off after 10 minutes. I've accidently done that with the TL, and it not only stays on, but I've had it kill the battery.

I've gotten used to driving without the HUD again, but if it was offered I'd get it in a heart beat. Personally, the only thing I really think was an oversight, is a lack of a mute button on the steering wheel. (Which pontiac also happens to have).

Sure you can crank the volume down, and then turn it back up later, but it's so much nicer to just hit the mute button, then unmute it when you're done with whatever it was you're doing.
Old 05-28-2005 | 08:04 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

The Night Vision setup like the one on the Honda Legend, the Japanese version of the new RL, is something I'd gladly pay extra for. If it saves you from just 1 accident, it paid for itself.
Old 05-28-2005 | 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

I thought you could close the sunroof by going outside the car and inserting the key and turning it to lock and holding it. All windows close, am I correct?
Old 05-30-2005 | 10:12 AM
zZzZzzZzz...

I believe that for the TL, along with the ability to close all windows/sunroofs by turning the key to the lock position twice and holding it; you can do that after u turn off the ignition for 10minutes as long as you do not open any of the doors etc... (not sure if it is just driver's door or passenger door though) You will also notice that the window switches have a light green glow to them when they are active. Even when you press the window lock button you will notice that all the window switches including the 3 passenger switches on the driver's panel loses that glow which tells us that the windows are no longer operational.
I do however have to agree with a mute button, if not only the steering wheel, at least on the console, or a voice command like "mute audio" or something. Sometimes with the audio at 40, it takes a while to get it back down to 0.
Old 05-30-2005 | 10:52 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Just a note about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GP that my buddy has...the headlights are automatic, and he hates that feature. Do you know why? It's a nanny that doesn't let you control them. Once the car decides to turn them on, you CANNOT turn them off until you park the car and turn the engine off! I don't know if the US models are different (I would hope they are), but I sure don't want any more electronic nannies looking after me!
Old 05-30-2005 | 07:14 PM
Pro

Night vision...

Legend2TL;

Good writeup, I believe Cadillac dropped the thermal imaging system option for their HUD because of low sales. HUD's are essential for combat aircraft but still quite the novelty on cars.
Yep, the option was a dud for Cadillac and they quietly dropped it.

I understand why they thought it would be a good idea.
Their market demographic is on the upper end of the age scale. Night vision declines as people get older, ergo a night vision feature would appeal to older buyers, allowing them to drive more safely at night.
The catch 22 to that thinking was that the buyers currently in that age group tend not to be particularly tech savvy (for now, this IS going to change in the next few years) and probably just didn't grasp the option and didn't understand the benefit of it.
Old 05-31-2005 | 10:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wi Acura TL Fan
I'm a new owner of a TL (red/ebony w/navi). My last car was a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. While I love my new TL, there are a few things that I miss from my Grand Prix, heads up display being the biggest thing. Why don't more cars have this great feature???

As long as we are on the topic I also miss my headlights not turning on and off automatically, and, on the TL, the music shutting off as soon as you turn the car off. (Pontiac stays on for 10 minutes, or until you open the door.)

Comments from the crowd?

i miss it too.
Old 05-31-2005 | 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I saw an STS parked today that had a round circle where the front grill logo usually is. Was that the T.I.C.?
Old 05-31-2005 | 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by youngTL
Just a note about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GP that my buddy has...the headlights are automatic, and he hates that feature. Do you know why? It's a nanny that doesn't let you control them. Once the car decides to turn them on, you CANNOT turn them off until you park the car and turn the engine off! I don't know if the US models are different (I would hope they are), but I sure don't want any more electronic nannies looking after me!
Automatic headlights will only come to vehicles with HID in the very far future. HID bulbs are way to sensitive to be turned on and off like is possible with regular halogens. Automatic lights would kill the bulbs, by turning them on in tunnels and such for short periods of time. My moms Murano does this, and I'm curious how long the bulbs will last considering she drives a lot. And D2R bulbs for the 2nd gen TL/CLs are like $200 bucks, not cheap.
Old 05-31-2005 | 11:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Automatic headlights will only come to vehicles with HID in the very far future. HID bulbs are way to sensitive to be turned on and off like is possible with regular halogens. Automatic lights would kill the bulbs, by turning them on in tunnels and such for short periods of time. My moms Murano does this, and I'm curious how long the bulbs will last considering she drives a lot. And D2R bulbs for the 2nd gen TL/CLs are like $200 bucks, not cheap.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. The alarm in my Grand Prix, flashes the hids whenever I arm/disarm the alarm. I've been too lazy to reprogram the alarm to not flash the lights. But it's been about 4 years since I installed the hids on them, and they are still going strong... (knock on wood).

As for the auto lights. They only turn on, if it's "dark" for around 90 seconds, which is usually longer then the amount of time I'm in a tunnel. Though, if traffic is gridlocked, then all bets are off. Though, you can program the thing, to any duration you want. I think you can set it to only turn on when it's "dark" for something like 7 minutes or something like that. If you're in a tunnel for more then 3 minutes or so, you should really turn on your headlights anyways. It's hard to see other cars in your rear-view mirror in the tunnel when they don't have their lights on. At least in the tunnel over here, with all the glare reflecting off the walls.
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:15 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

I just ordere an HUD device for my TL. I will have to connect it to speed sensor and tach wires under dashboard. Can anyone post wiring diagrams and schematics from the service manual to help me? Probably pages with instrument cluster will have all the information I need. In turn I promise to take pictures of the install and share the experience.
Old 08-11-2005 | 01:18 PM
Administrator

Here's the scans for the gauge cluster electrical diagrams. Let me know how the quality is and if they are readable. I'm still learning how to do this, but I think I am getting better at it.

Old 08-11-2005 | 03:35 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

(Edit note by mod Ron A: gt1 wrote this when the original scans were posted, but I have since reposted them with less reduction in size so they are more readable-I hope)
Ron, thanks a lot. The quality is almost OK, however some text isn't readable. I scanned some manuals few years ago, and found "sweet spot" settings, with the best combination of file size and quality. I'll try to find my notes, if I have them, if not, I'll scan few pages find that spot again.
Still, these scans are good enough to learn that our TL is not as easy as other cars. Speed sensor and tach signals don't go directly to the gauges, they are digitized, most likely in the ECM (engine computer) and sent to the gauges via digital bus (page 22-256). So I will need more scans, if it is not a big trouble.