Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why No Auto Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why No Auto Headlights?

Well ..... i FINALLY picked up my TL yesterday and all I can say is . I am VERY happy with the car and the dealer so far based on my sales / delviery experience. The car is EXERYTHING I expected except for automatic headlights. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaing but just questioning whey Acura would build a car that does everything but fart for you (although I haven't tried that voice command yet ) but not include automatic on headlights?

I've got a loooooong day of reading ahead of me. If I can get rhough the "summary note" package I'll be happy. FWIW, I am soooooo glad I went for the Navi - worth the extra $$4 IMHO.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been asking that question since 2003. I even asked them that in a phone survey. Since this is my only complaint in 3 years things could be alot worse so I am used to it now. Even the GM I traded in had auto headlights for 10 yearfs. You would think that would embarrass Acura enough to just throw them in.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 AM
Instructor

I;m comin' from the same place as you are in regard to the GM comparison AND that being my only issue with the car . Good to hear that after 3 years it's still your only complaint - just reinstills the reason I moved to Acura .
Old 02-26-2006, 07:01 AM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
just keep your headlights on all the time
Old 02-26-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The question is..

Is it good to have your HID's come on/off suddenly without warming up? Dont you loose life by doing this?

My previous vehicle had this feature and really liked it but it didnt have HID.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Hmmmm .... I wonder if you're onto something there? I don't know for sure if the other cars I tested with HID's had auto headlight on or not as I test drove them in the daytime. That said, a guy in my building has a 350Z coupe (which has HID's) and IIRC they aren't auto on either. Wonder if there is a connection? That said, it's nice that when I'm driving at night I'm finally a "blinder" and not just a "blindee" in regard to oncoming HID lighting .
Old 02-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Boardman
Well ..... i FINALLY picked up my TL yesterday and all I can say is . I am VERY happy with the car and the dealer so far based on my sales / delviery experience. The car is EXERYTHING I expected except for automatic headlights. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaing but just questioning whey Acura would build a car that does everything but fart for you (although I haven't tried that voice command yet ) but not include automatic on headlights?

I've got a loooooong day of reading ahead of me. If I can get rhough the "summary note" package I'll be happy. FWIW, I am soooooo glad I went for the Navi - worth the extra $$4 IMHO.
Congratulations to you and thank God the TL does NOT have auto-on headlamps. They're a pain in the butt at times. I've had them and frankly really hated them.

Personal thing, I suppose.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Ya know, I'm more curious than complaining. I actually think I'm much like you in that I'd rather do it manually especially since Acura built in an "auto off" feature. That said, it IS an issue for the G/F . Then again, for as often as she will be driving the car it's not gonna be a problem for her .... but I haven't told her that yet .
Old 02-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

To invincible569 and Boardman;

You're both basically right.

Invincible asks, "Is it good to have your HID's come on/off suddenly without warming up? Dont you loose life by doing this?"

Actually, your headlamps "come on/off suddenly" everytime you operate the headlamp switch. The problem lies in the constant, frequent, or short time use with auto-on headlamps. HIDs require the use of a ballast, one for each HID lamp, to start the lamps. Frequent and/or short use of the headlamps (such as pulling into a dark garage and quickly into a spot then shutting down the engine) will shorten the life of the ballast. Also, you should avoid flashing your headlamps for the same reason.

Any lamp, be it HID or incandescent, will have a shorter life when you operate it more frequently. It's just that with HIDs, there is a much greater cost involved when they do finally go out.

For those of you who like the idea of DRLs, do as BrandonClaps suggests and just drive with them on all the time. Only problem here is they will need replacement sooner.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Thanks SB . Since I live in a condo and park underground and work in an office building with underground parking your stated example fits my case to a "T". I found a solution for the G/F factor btw and it doesn't involve trading her in as I just did my previous car. She's low milage and I've invested faaaaar too much time breaking her in to start over with a "new model" . Thanks again for the logical explanation!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:14 AM
6th Gear

Flashing Headlights

"Flashing" headlights does NOT involve turning the bulb on or off.

HID (HIGH-INTENSITY DISCHARGE) HEADLIGHTS

The TL headlights feature HID high and low beams, as well as built-in fog lamps. These bi-function HID high/low beams are made possible by a shutter device that mechanically controls the light output of the HID unit. When the driver selects high beam, an electric solenoid in the headlight moves a shutter forward, opening up a greater reflector area inside the headlight. When the lights are operated on low beam, this shutter repositions to act as a cut-off to keep the lighted area closer to the vehicle. The TL headlights dramatically increase the illuminated area versus non HID beams, and are nearly 50 percent more effective at long range. The fog lamp illumination has also been increased.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Kewl - thanks for the info . Also rubs in the fact that us Canadian TL'ers don't have fog lights as they have been used as our daytime running lights as they are mandated by our federal transportation governing body . That said, IIRC all cars with HID's in Canada have some kind of 2nd front lighting system for this so it's not a TL specific issue - it's a Canadian thing - eh .
Old 02-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverFox12

The TL headlights feature HID high and low beams, as well as built-in fog lamps. These bi-function HID high/low beams are made possible by a shutter device that mechanically controls the light output of the HID unit. When the driver selects high beam, an electric solenoid in the headlight moves a shutter forward, opening up a greater reflector area inside the headlight. When the lights are operated on low beam, this shutter repositions to act as a cut-off to keep the lighted area closer to the vehicle. The TL headlights dramatically increase the illuminated area versus non HID beams, and are nearly 50 percent more effective at long range. The fog lamp illumination has also been increased.
Our cars don't have a separate halogen high beam so when you pull back on the stalk to flash the high beams you're actually turning on the HIDs (with the shutter device mentioned above in the open position). I did this once and realized that and will not use the flash the pass feature anymore because it's not a good idea to be turning on the HIDs on and off like that. Too bad there's no separate halogen high beam.

On the other hand, there's no harm in flashing the highs when the lows are already on.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Flashing Headlights

Most of the time, when people use the term "Flashing Headlights" in a discussion like this, they are referring to the practice of pulling on the turn signal lever when the lights are off, such as when you want to get the slow dummy out from in front of you in the fast lane. This is what is hard on the HID's, not just flashing the high beams when your lights are on in the low beam position.

With all the discussions there have been about how hard it is on HID's when you flash your lights while they are off, I know I have stopped doing it as much as I used to, but this is probably also because of the road rage factor and the fact that there are so many people driving slowly in the left lane that I would be constantly flashing my lights..

If you really want your lights on all the time, set the MID so they will automatically go off when you leave the car, and go on when you return.

The 2G TL's and CL's have had HID's for a few model years before the 3G came out, and I don't remember seeing any problem with the bulbs failing (but then I don't check out the 2G forums so I might be wrong here), and I definitely don't recall seeing any complaints here about premature failure of the bulbs (or ballast) for the 3G's, so it will be interesting to hear from anyone who either lives in a place where they have to use their headlights a lot of leave them on all the time out of choice, so we can get an idea of how long these bulbs and ballasts will really last.

edit note: I was writing this and finally posted it and then saw mptlptr's reply, so sorry if I repeated some of what you said.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SilverFox12

Flashing headlamps of any kind most certainly does involve passing an electrical current through them in the context in which I was speaking. I am fully and completely aware of how the single HID lamp in the TL works (single as in per-side). They are bi-level lamps in that their output is controlled by a shutter as you described. My context, as explained by a few subsequent posters, involved flashing as a warning or to pass at times where you would not be operating your headlamps.

Frequent turning off and on of any electrical lamp used in automobiles (and just about in any other application for that matter) will shorten its life, and through tungsten boiloff, discolor the lamp's glass enclosure, reducing usable light.

HID replacement lamps are not cheap and will burn up eventually. That plus the fact that over their usable life, their light output (lumens) will slowly diminish.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:17 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I bet they will be on the 07 TL. But you're only turning the switch on once a day most of the time. I never noticed the big deal.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:55 PM
GregS

No Auto Wipers either. I would like to see both Auto Headlights and Wipers on the '07 TL. Funny, they are offered on the MDX.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Instructor

I've driven a couple of cars that have auto headlights. Some do it well, as in you don't notice them working. Others are a pain.

Around here, flashing high beams is illegal. Could get you a ticket, especially if the car you flash is an undercover cop.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:08 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The auto wipers on the MDX seem more of a pain than they're worth. I'd prefer auto headlights if I had to choose.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Back in a Type S

I had a 2000 Infiniti Q45t before I traded it in for my TL. It had auto-lights and it was one of the best options. I think I may have touched the headlight switch 2-3 times in the entire 3 years of owning that car, and I never had to change a xenon headlight. I was tough getting used to not having that feature in my TL.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Advanced

why do you want auto headlights? What happens if the cops are chasing you at night and you want to turn off your headlights in a dark alley or street?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:03 PM
"Joe Cool"

YEah, I don't know about you guys but I am always getting chased by the COPS and even the FEDS on weekends...

Dame the AUTO HEADLIGHTS on my Suburban they almost caught me yesterday.

From now on I'll make sure to take the TL when I plan to rob another bank.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:06 PM
"Joe Cool"

Originally Posted by ProvidenceLeaf
I had a 2000 Infiniti Q45t before I traded it in for my TL. It had auto-lights and it was one of the best options. I think I may have touched the headlight switch 2-3 times in the entire 3 years of owning that car, and I never had to change a xenon headlight. I was tough getting used to not having that feature in my TL.
I agree!
I have auto headlights on my Suburban and i am so used to it that when I drive the TL I forget to turn on the lights.

Only in America do people driving around in a Sport Luxury vehicle still complain about the extras it should!!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Back in a Type S

Originally Posted by 1sweetTL
YEah, I don't know about you guys but I am always getting chased by the COPS and even the FEDS on weekends...

Dame the AUTO HEADLIGHTS on my Suburban they almost caught me yesterday.

From now on I'll make sure to take the TL when I plan to rob another bank.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

I dont know about the auto headlights, my chevy van has them and they seem to work fine, but with hids, I dont think I want them going on and off all the time.
I DO wish the fog lights could be used as daytime running lights, or at least have the ability to turn them on without the headlights.

I like the rain sensing wipers, the ones on my Passat worked very well, another thing to not have to worry about as you drive. TheTL speed sensitive wipers are not much of an improvement over regular wipers, there seems to be only two stages, car moving or not, and not a big change between them.

I would also like a low key alarm arming beep (that I could hear) when setting the alarm, not a horn honk (how annoying) just a small beep of some kind.

To add to the wish list, a remote built into the key would be nice, bet they add that for 2007. That seems like it would be something very easy to do.
I feel like glueing the remote to the key...

Brett
Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

My previous two cars had it, just picked up my TL last night and I miss that feature already. I'm just glad the headlights turn off when you shut down the car.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by weedeater
I've driven a couple of cars that have auto headlights. Some do it well, as in you don't notice them working. Others are a pain.

Around here, flashing high beams is illegal. Could get you a ticket, especially if the car you flash is an undercover cop.
Flashing headlamps is illegal in Virginia??? Where did you hear that? Can you cite the page in the Virginia Driver's Manual Rules of the Road?

I'm not trying to be a smart a-- here, but this is news to me. If you're correct, I certainly do not wish to get a ticket for my lack of knowledge. Not that I flash all that much, which I don't.. just when someone either has their brights on or when they flash me to see if I have mine on.

I just briefly glanced through my copy of the Virginia Driver's Manual Rules of the Road and I don't seen anything in the way of a law against flashing your headlamps. Do you know for a fact it is illegal?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
if they do introduce auto headlights
i really hope the dont hook it to the nav system - the nav system should have its own light sensor (that "averages" the data more - to make sure it really is dark before deciding to go into night mode) when my lights are on - doesnt always mean its dark outside

ie, fog, rain, dusk ..etc
Old 03-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Boardman
Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaing but just questioning whey Acura would build a car that does everything but fart for you.

Well, you're Wrong on this, cuz the heated seats actually make u more prone to farting!! makes every bit of your 30K worth it.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:43 AM
CSI
Instructor

Originally Posted by invincible569
The question is..

Is it good to have your HID's come on/off suddenly without warming up? Dont you loose life by doing this?

My previous vehicle had this feature and really liked it but it didnt have HID.
U cannot warm up HID before turn it on ... "suddenly"... (Well, maybe turn it on "slowly" is better...? )

HID life is as same as ur car life...

Ur previous car is MAZDA 3?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I've never understood the appeal of auto headlights. Flipping the knob in the morning and in the evening has never bothered me.

I remember when cars with that feature first started coming out. You'd see someone walking away and leaving their lights on in broad daylight and you'd say, "Excuse me, but did you know your lights are still on?" And you'd get a snippy response. As my father would say, "Well, fuck you very much." I always said, "Oh, I'm sorry I tried to be nice to you."
Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Flashing headlamps is illegal in Virginia??? Where did you hear that? Can you cite the page in the Virginia Driver's Manual Rules of the Road?

I'm not trying to be a smart a-- here, but this is news to me. If you're correct, I certainly do not wish to get a ticket for my lack of knowledge. Not that I flash all that much, which I don't.. just when someone either has their brights on or when they flash me to see if I have mine on.

I just briefly glanced through my copy of the Virginia Driver's Manual Rules of the Road and I don't seen anything in the way of a law against flashing your headlamps. Do you know for a fact it is illegal?

Thanks.
I do not believe this is accurate. The law in Virginia says that someone must yield the left lane to faster traffic upon a visual or audible signal. Flashing lights has always been the standard visible signal, although I guess these days people think that tailgating and flipping someone off are preferable.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Perhaps this is what I get for being over 35.

I remember the local TV station did a report on this a few years back. They stated that this flashing lights was considered to be illegal but the context may have been for avoiding radar traps. Now, since the report covered VA, DC and MD, it may have been that it only applied to DC/MD and not VA.

Flashing may also be a reason why some cars have separate halegen high beams. No warm up time required.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 AM
FOR SALE - BM

Well, in my last car i would leave the headlights on all the time and never shut them off, but in my TL, now i have to turn the lights on and off. initially I noticed i had to turn them on and off manually... it didn't really bother me.. my last car didn't have HIDs.. but after reading on this forum that turning on and off the lights before proper heat up and cool down is bad, so i don't car... i would much rather save my 100+ headlight .. Are the headlights covered under the warranty if they blow out??????
Old 03-03-2006, 02:22 PM
"Joe Cool"

Originally Posted by bulacura
Well, you're Wrong on this, cuz the heated seats actually make u more prone to farting!! makes every bit of your 30K worth it.
That is hilarious!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

Well, I've driven a 2nd gen TL for two years with the lights on every time I use the car, and it's fine so far (over 30,000 miles). Yes, using the lights causes wear. But they're pretty robust. If you want daytime running lights (or automatic lights), just leave them on. You'll probably trade the car before you replace a headlight.

Second point: flashing lights to clear a lane isn't illegal in Va., but I wouldn't do it on I-95 or anywhere around D. C. "Left lane for faster traffic and passing" is a foreign concept here.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

why autolamps

Autolamps are very handy if you drive through tunnels or go in and out of parking garages.

Originally Posted by frank69m
why do you want auto headlights? What happens if the cops are chasing you at night and you want to turn off your headlights in a dark alley or street?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brettg
I would also like a low key alarm arming beep (that I could hear) when setting the alarm, not a horn honk (how annoying) just a small beep of some kind.

Brett
Are you just saying you can't hear the beep on the TL now? In the MID, you can set the car to beep or not, I don't think mine has the option to honk the horn
Old 03-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

To 1995hoo and Virginia Bill;

In the early 90's, as I recall, Virginia passed a law stipulating that a driver could (should?) flash their headlamps as it approached a car in the "fast" lane which he wanted to pass. Someone told me a bit ago that this law has been recinded, but I do not know this for certain.

Virginia Bill makes a good point about left lanes and traffic and such in the more conjested areas of upper Virginia. This is no doubt due to the increases in population and the inability of the road systems to keep up with those increases.

As for flashing my headlamps, I try to avoid this like the plague with HIDs since it ain't the best for ballast life. I reserve doing this in the daylight hours for those times when there is a dangerous situation about to envelop me. As for the night hours, just to let an approaching car know (after he as flashed or "brighted" me) that I do not have my brights on.

Incidently, while this may not be a law in Virginia, the Virginia Driver's Manual Rules of the Road clearly states do not turn on your brights when approaching another car which has his bright lights on. The idea behind this is it's better to have just one blinded person than two. Somehow I don't buy this. I'd much rather try to get him to do to low-beam or at least see beyond him.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Hi, Southern Boy.

In the current legislative session someone introduced a bill to outlaw flashing to overtake, but it died in committee.

While traffic density around DC has increased a lot over the past twenty years, something else is going on. A friend of mine calls it the "Virginia Box': one car is in the right lane doing about 65; another car catches up, moves into the left lane, and settles down at 65 about one car length behind the first one. Then the two of them motor happily along, oblivious to all the traffic stacking up behind them.

It's part of the local driving culture to completely ignore general traffic flow. Or maybe it's the common assumption that the left lane is just another lane, so driving there at your speed of choice, no matter what other people are doing, is fine. I've never seen a "Slower Traffic Keep Right" anywhere around D. C.

We have the third worst traffic in the country (afer LA and SF), partly because our roads are overloaded. No question about that. But we also have a self-centered, mindless driving culture.

Quick Reply: Why No Auto Headlights?