3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are MTs so hard to come by?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only had to wait a few weeks for my 6mt navi. The dealer ordered it right off the production line, told me what day it was being built, then a few more days for delivery. I have NO regrets...the brakes alone are worth getting a MT car instead of the AT. I only hope when I finally sell the car, I won't take a hit because nobody wants a MT car. In theory, they should be worth more since they are rare.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:06 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
This is one area I could really see geographic information systems helping. If they were able to track the demand for mt's in different cities/states, we would see a better distribution of MT's to those areas that want them. On the other hand, obtaining a rare combo has appeal for some as well..
Old 05-27-2006, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In SF Bay Area, East Bay

Manual transmission TLs, 2006, have been available but they are not plentiful. My local dealership, Concord Acura, seems to stock a couple but they are usually in Anthracite. I heard that they liked to pack as many extras (Aspec) and jack up the price. I purchased my 6 speed MT over Christmas from Concord Acura to take advantage of the financing package--but I had to take the color that they had. Anthracite, ebony interior Navi with protection package, trunk tray, wheel locks, for $33,500. If I had ordered one, through Sunnyvale, I could have saved around a grand. I would not have chosen Anthracite (too many BMWs and Benzs of a like color locally) but now that I have it I am very pleased.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:41 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^- Thats what I was running into in early 2004. All the 6spd w/ Navi had ASPEC installed and were well over 40k when everything was totalled. I was on a serious hunt for a 6spd and it took a few months before a dealer even had one and I couldnt be picky about the color.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Abyss Boy

I too live in Orlando. Courtesy Acura in Sanford did not want to play ball and quoted me sticker price. So I drove to Jacksonville and bought my 05 6MT TL there. Unfortunately, since the majority of TLs are white, black, gray, or silver, I had to wait 5 months to get mine. But it was worth it. You should never have to settle when buying a $30k+ vehicle. I reccommend waiting to get the car of your dreams rather than settling on what the dealer happens to have.

You should check around the state to see if any other dealers might have a 6MT in stock for you to at least test drive. Dealers often trade vehicles, even from other states. I think mine was traded from a dealer in NJ. If you find a good salesman, he or she should be able to either find an existing one with your color/nav/trans combo or should be able to tell you when one with your color/nav/trans combo is scheduled to be built.

My wife's 01 TL is an automatic so I knew what that was like, but the first time I drove a 6MT TL I knew that that was what I had to have. You won't be disappointed.

One more thing, you might also try Fountain Acura in Orlando if you don't want to drive to Jax.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:12 PM
8th Gear

Hey Neighbor

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Hi, Granticus - didn't know that there's someone else here in the hood. Per my original post on this subject, I looked in pretty much all of Florida, and there was next to nothing. This p.m., Courtesy had a black with navi - I can live with that. But I'm now torn as to whether I should wait - see what the 07 is like, and maybe do a meaningful comparison with both the IS 250 and the new G35 (shame that the M does not come in MT). I'm just doing a lot of data collection at this juncture - like the question I asked SoutherBoy in private about the drive ratio situation. Thank you for your reply. Maybe I'll run into you one of these days - figuratively speaking.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:47 PM
15 Time Honda Owner

I had to order mine to get it in black with black with Navi... I waited patiently because I knew I usually only see 1, maybe 2 per dealership if I was lucky when I was looking.

Took almost 5 weeks to get mine in... was well worth the wait though!
Old 05-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Abyss Boy

Oh, and one more thing. I have also noticed a slight problem when shifting into 3rd gear as someone else had reported. It doesn't happen all the time. In fact, in only happens occasionally. This of course makes it hard to fix since the problem never presents itself when I take it in to Courtesy for service.

Overall, I would say this isn't something to be concerned about. It doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the car in the least.

Say hi if you see me on the road. I probably have one of less than 5 6MT/ABP/Camel/Navis in Florida. I've seen one other ABP/Camel but it didn't have a stick. Too bad for them.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SonzTwin
Problem with the dearth of MTs is that I'm afraid I won't even have one to test drive. And I will not buy one un-test-driven, y'all's enthusiasm notwithstanding
this is exactly what struck the TL from the list of vehicles i considered. they may not sell as many of them, but if the dealer would have kept even but one demo on the lot with 6mt (and they are the only dealer in the area), they might have had another sale. as someone else posted, honda mt's get glowing reviews, but i would never order a vehicle that i was unable to test drive, but that's just me.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
8th Gear

zax123 - further to my email

Forgot to say: I thought the TL already comes with a short shifter. Is this thing you're talking about factory installed, dealer, or mechanic? How much? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:00 PM
8th Gear

SouthernBoy - what do you make of this

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I seldom have that problem; a more frequent issue is that I'll start up the car and want to back it out of a parking space, but it simply refuses to go into reverse. When that happens I have to shift into second, then into reverse. I have NO idea why it happens and it is NOT unique to the TL, because all four Honda-built cars I've owned (1982 Accord, 1986 Legend, 1997 Accord, and now the 2004 TL) have this issue, and my brother said that it also happened to him on his 1996 Civic. It must be something to do with Honda manual transmissions, but I have no idea about what it is or why it happens—I only know how to resolve the issue when it occurs.
[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana]Hey SouthernBoy: I'm still dazzled by your knowledge and willingness to help other motorists. What is your take on the transmission problem described here?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Thanks so much for the flowers, but frankly I don't know any more than a lot of people on this site. There are quite a few members who are a wealth of information.

As for having trouble from time to time shifting into reverse when first starting out, I'd lay money it's the dog teeth not meshing. This can happen in any gear from a stand still, but it's more common when going into reverse.

1996hoo is doing exactly what needs to be done by shifting into 2nd (or 3rd) gear first and then into reverse. If this fails, let out the clutch some in neuitral and then try the 2nd/3rd and then reverse. With manual transmissions which do not have syncrhonized reverse gears, you should always do this to avoid gringing your gears.