Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are MTs so hard to come by?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 12:16 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are MTs so hard to come by?

Does anyone have an idea as to why manual transmission TLs seem so hard to come by? I'm in Central Florida, and most dealerships within 200 miles do not have a single MT. One dealership in Sanford had ONE MT vs. something like 60 ATs. Chicken or egg - are there so few MTs because they sell out faster, or do they sell so poorly that dealers don't even carry them? I'm guessing the latter.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:31 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Acura made a lot more automatics...I cant remember the percentages off the top of my head (they are mentioned here somehwere ) but only 11%??? were manual.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The majority of the country drives automatics, plain and simple.

Joe
Old 05-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Pro

I bought mine a few years back... but from what they were telling me it is they sell quickly... there are few manuals made and the demand is just slightly higher than production...

But, in my opinion, the demand is not spread evenly over the country... so, if a dealership does not sell that many he will not order one on spec... he can sell every auto he orders, but might have to keep a manual on the lot a bit longer if he does not have a buyer lined up... and it cost MONEY for them to just sit there...

I am sure that they will find you one quickly if you put your money down.. they got me one in two weeks after I ponied up the money...
Old 05-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because relatively speaking, no one drives them.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Racer

In SoCal, all the dealers I went to each had a few manuals on the lot. They were priced the same as autos
Old 05-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

When the dealer orders cars they order cars that they can sell quickly. They don't want cars sitting on their lots waiting for a unique buyer (manual trans driver). So yes, they are rare because like everyone said above.. the majority of cars drivers in the US drive autos.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:59 AM
04 NBP 6MT

Central Florida has a high percentage of old folks.

Old folks drive automatics.

Therefore, there are a high percentage of automatic cars in Central Florida.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Racer

because your_mom took the last one from ATL
Old 05-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we looked for our manual TL, it was hard to find one in any other color
than silver or black.
Out of the 2 local dealerships in south Jersey, there were maybe 3 manuals
out of 75? cars.
Our white manual came from another state away, and was not shown on the list of avalable cars, but the sales guy had connections (he used to work at the other dealers).

Brett
Old 05-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Import and Domestic owner

Originally Posted by Brettg
When we looked for our manual TL, it was hard to find one in any other color
than silver or black.
Out of the 2 local dealerships in south Jersey, there were maybe 3 manuals
out of 75? cars.
Our white manual came from another state away, and was not shown on the list of avalable cars, but the sales guy had connections (he used to work at the other dealers).

Brett
I live in south jersey and at sussman they told me 1 month wait for a 6mt. I settled for an auto. I regret it alot, and I wish I had waited.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
market conditions

Originally Posted by your_mom
Central Florida has a high percentage of old folks.

Old folks drive automatics.

Therefore, there are a high percentage of automatic cars in Central Florida.

Agree with ^^^^-- it's a function of customer demographics/demand.

While shopping for a 6-speed TSX in the Los Angeles metro area, I discovered that certain dealers did not order or stock manuals because their customers do not order them (Sierra Acura in Alhambra, near Pasadena, CA and all the little old ladies from there; the Acura dealership in West Covina). Other dealers did not have one in stock at the time I was shopping although they normally order a few(Cerritos Acura, Keyes Acura). Santa Monica Acura did have one in stock that I drove; it also usually has a couple of manual TLs (I got my auto TL from there); Santa Monica Acura probably has the youngest demographics and customers with an interest in manual transmissions.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Racer

Well I think it must be more than demographics and the case that wherever the cars <i>do</i> go, they sell quickly.
The fact that it was so difficult to find one back in October when I got my car made it difficult to try to negotiate the price down because they aren't as easy to find. Makes them cooler though
Old 05-06-2006, 11:57 PM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only had two on the lot when I bought mine. And it wasn't one of the two. They had a black (Navi) and silver (no-navi). I wanted navi but not a black one. An anthracite was being built for the dealership and I picked her up. Matter of fact, its been close to 2 months and those two are still sitting in the same spot. 6MTs are not for everyone. Lots of people want an auto period, especially in a upscale sedan. These aren't your average boy-racers.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:58 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told by a friend who is looking to buy a TL that he will settle for an auto since he has been told by dealers that ppl don't want used 6MT TL's because they have most likely been " abused"....therefore harder to sell ( meaning if you had to trade or sell yours it would be harder than selling an auto..)....
Old 05-07-2006, 12:32 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by againstallodds1
I live in south jersey and at sussman they told me 1 month wait for a 6mt. I settled for an auto. I regret it alot, and I wish I had waited.
That's exactly why I waited for exactly what I wanted. Mine took 3 months from order to delivery. The rarer the combination of colors, Nav/non-Nav, with a 6MT, the harder to find. In fact, there were only maybe a couple of hundred or so in my specific combo produced between '04 and '05.

I could have gotten the same car with a 5AT a heck of a lot faster, but I thought in terms of how I was gonna look back on my decision for years afterwards. I'm glad I waited.

Don't be in a big rush. Get what you want even if you have to wait for it. You'll be happier later.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
In addition to the reasons people have already cited, in larger metropolitan areas it's generally harder to find MTs at the majority of new-car dealers (not just Acura) because a lot of people consider it a nuisance to operate an MT in heavy traffic. I suppose it interferes with their stupid cell-phone yapping, coffee drinking, newspaper-reading, and shaving.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Racer

Dealers always figure they can talk MT customers into buying an automatic. They know they cannot sell a MT car to AT folks.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
In addition to the reasons people have already cited, in larger metropolitan areas it's generally harder to find MTs at the majority of new-car dealers (not just Acura) because a lot of people consider it a nuisance to operate an MT in heavy traffic. I suppose it interferes with their stupid cell-phone yapping, coffee drinking, newspaper-reading, and shaving.
^^^ Agreed, for the most part, which applies to us guys. Don't forget that some women put on their eyeliner and makeup stuff with BOTH hands while driving.
Fortunately, I can now do my stupid cell yapping on the HFL, thus leaving one hand for the coffee cup and the other for the steering wheel. Yes, I have an auto, which my wife requested, as I would hate to sleep on the sofa every night.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Plain and simple, PRODUCTION, they only produce 5-10% as a 6MT. Combine that with the ordering of cars by the dealer. The demographics play a large part in it, if the dealer isn't going to move it, he won't order it. That is why most dealers will have to order a 6MT for you. That is the path I had to take. I was more then willing to wait, as I had driven both the auto and manual, there was no way I would drive the auto. It didn't help that I wanted it Black on Black w/navi. Be patient and order what you want, don't settle for something. This goes for any car you are debating on buying. And believe me, it was hard as I am a true impulse buyer, I want it right then!! GL in the venture on finding one.

Jason
Old 05-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Will Y.
^^^ Agreed, for the most part, which applies to us guys. Don't forget that some women put on their eyeliner and makeup stuff with BOTH hands while driving.
A few years ago I was on the Fairfax County Parkway going 65 mph and was passed by a minivan (speed limit is 50, BTW). Something caught my eye as the minivan approached and I looked over to see that there was a laundry basket on the front passenger seat; the woman who was "driving" was using both hands to fold the laundry, presumably using her knees to steer.

I nailed the brakes and stayed away from her!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:12 PM
LeftFoot, RightHand Happy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dealer in Metro DC actually had a MT demo car, and I think one or two on the lot. Mine was one of their pre-orders that I had to put my name on when I knew it was on their order list. I had to wait about 2 weeks, and compromise on color a little. I don't know how many they really sell, though, because my salesman didn't know that the Brembo's meant MT. I had to tell him.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:16 PM
8th Gear

Thank you all for tackling my question in such an avid manner. Sounds like it's first and foremost a numbers game, meaning, since MT drivers are a much smaller %, Dealers perceive (and in some cases it is very real) that the risk is greater that what they order for MTs might have a lower chance of meeting what the MT customer wants. That, and the pithy quote about talking an MT driver into an AT but never the other way around. That is a fact, and probably true of 95-99% of car-buying folks. But myself - along with a few others who posted - will never buy an auto as long as I have strength and breath.

On a related question, I've read in other threads that the MT on the TL (and indeed on all/most Acuras/Hondas) is problematic - something about not being able to get into (1st) gear even while standing still. Any thoughts/experience on that, folks? I know that when I had a civic, it was a bear, always touch and go, when I try to go 4th to 5th, and it has nothing to do with the clutch not being full depressed. Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It all depends, they had like 6 diff cars with MT at the dealer 05 leftovers in feb of this year.

They werent selling because they wre 6spds........so they tend to not keep them in stock as mcuh, but towards the end of the yr you can probably get a nice left over.

2005 brand new TL with navi was offered to me for 33k, and a non navi was 29k BRAND NEW!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SonzTwin
On a related question, I've read in other threads that the MT on the TL (and indeed on all/most Acuras/Hondas) is problematic - something about not being able to get into (1st) gear even while standing still. Any thoughts/experience on that, folks? I know that when I had a civic, it was a bear, always touch and go, when I try to go 4th to 5th, and it has nothing to do with the clutch not being full depressed. Thoughts? Thanks.
I seldom have that problem; a more frequent issue is that I'll start up the car and want to back it out of a parking space, but it simply refuses to go into reverse. When that happens I have to shift into second, then into reverse. I have NO idea why it happens and it is NOT unique to the TL, because all four Honda-built cars I've owned (1982 Accord, 1986 Legend, 1997 Accord, and now the 2004 TL) have this issue, and my brother said that it also happened to him on his 1996 Civic. It must be something to do with Honda manual transmissions, but I have no idea about what it is or why it happens—I only know how to resolve the issue when it occurs.

But I simply hate driving an automatic unless I have no choice, so this issue is not enough to stop me from buying a Honda manual transmission.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I never had that problem.........I know some people get weird problems like that with an aftermarket clutch, but next time try to re clutch and see if that helps.

Maybe ask the delear to get you a new clutch under warantee.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

I seldom have that problem; a more frequent issue is that I'll start up the car and want to back it out of a parking space, but it simply refuses to go into reverse. When that happens I have to shift into second, then into reverse. I have NO idea why it happens and it is NOT unique to the TL, because all four Honda-built cars I've owned (1982 Accord, 1986 Legend, 1997 Accord, and now the 2004 TL) have this issue, and my brother said that it also happened to him on his 1996 Civic. It must be something to do with Honda manual transmissions, but I have no idea about what it is or why it happens—I only know how to resolve the issue when it occurs.

But I simply hate driving an automatic unless I have no choice, so this issue is not enough to stop me from buying a Honda manual transmission.
Tried changing the tranny fluid to the GM Syncromesh Friction Modofied?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:02 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Tried changing the tranny fluid to the GM Syncromesh Friction Modified like many other of your fellow 6MT bretheren here have?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by DMZ
Tried changing the tranny fluid to the GM Syncromesh Friction Modified like many other of your fellow 6MT bretheren here have?
Nope, and I don't really have the time in the next month to try to do it. What causes the problem?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:35 PM
9th Gear

our local dealer here in socal still has a black non navi 6spd sitting on the lot and had 2 greys in the back 06 navi/6spd. I was suprised that they did becuase i was told that their hard to come by.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Im waiting for my TL (06 DWP 6MT Navi Ebony int.). Mine will be at the dealership June 13th and be ready for P/U on the 15th.....when its all over and delivered, i will have waited for a total of 7 weeks!!!!! But it is going to be worth the wait when i do get it!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:56 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Honda's manual trannies are some of the best and most troublefree on the market. I've had two 03 CLS 6MTs and both shifters were troublefree. One of the most sought after Acuras in the past was the 94-95 Legend Coupe with the 6speed.

Honda's auto trannies, however, have a mixed record. On the 2nd Gen CLs, (some Hondas were effected too) Honda extended the tranny warranty to 100k because of the problems.

I love my CLS 6MT and went out of state to get it. Acura only made about 130 in my combo (w Navi) and about 2700 6MTs total. The TL 6MT I drove was very similar. good luck.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:46 PM
10th Gear

I got my 05 TL A-Spec 6Speed Navi HP at the dealer in Sanford in Jan 05. It was the only 6sp and they had it for almost 8weeks. The 6spds dont sell as much.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:08 PM
'06 6MT WDP

I just made a deal on a WDP/Ebony 6MT non-Navi over in Ohio (I'm in PA). There was not one of that combo in the state of PA or OH. They're getting one out of either Michigan or NY...hopefully by this Sat!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:53 AM
8AT > 6MT

i bought my 6 speed TL at Weir Canyon Acura in Yorba Linda in So Cal and at the time of purchase ( 2/18/06) they had 6 Acura TLs, all 2005s, all manuals some with navi and some without. Sticker on the car was 36,795 and i got mine for 29,000 =) I asked how much a TSX 6 speed was cuz that was what i originally came for and they said 29,000 and i'd have to wait 3 months. There was no 6 speed TSX anywhere in 19 dealers in so cal... like a lot of people has mentioned, demographics play a huge part. The dealer i was at straight up told me...if we order this TSX, it might take even longer and they don't stock 6 speeds because in that area (rich area) rich people don't buy 6 speeds....

good luck on your ventures of finding a 6 speed...if you want a more fun to drive car...
Old 05-19-2006, 09:55 AM
8AT > 6MT

Originally Posted by Flipstar30
Im waiting for my TL (06 DWP 6MT Navi Ebony int.). Mine will be at the dealership June 13th and be ready for P/U on the 15th.....when its all over and delivered, i will have waited for a total of 7 weeks!!!!! But it is going to be worth the wait when i do get it!!!
it will be! trust me! 6 speed FTW!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Pohanka is showing 102 TLs in their inventory of which 12 are manuals. When I bought my '04 there in July of that year, 27% of their TL inventory had manual transmissions.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
when I got mine, Ed Voyles had only 2 '05 MT's on their lot. One sold the day after I test drove it, so I had to order mine and wait a couple of weeks to get it. I think Carland had more MT's but I refused to buy anything from those sumbitches.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:25 AM
8th Gear

Will they ship?

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Pohanka is showing 102 TLs in their inventory of which 12 are manuals. When I bought my '04 there in July of that year, 27% of their TL inventory had manual transmissions.
I'm not going to go from Orlando to VA to pick up a brand new car and pile on 800 miles right off the bat. To your knowledge, SoutherBoy (and others...), would the dealer ship? If so, how much more can I expect to pay, if anything? Problem with the dearth of MTs is that I'm afraid I won't even have one to test drive. And I will not buy one un-test-driven, y'all's enthusiasm notwithstanding, because I'm still a little worried about Honda/Acura's manual transmission - per my other thread. Any light you could shed on this much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by SonzTwin
I'm not going to go from Orlando to VA to pick up a brand new car and pile on 800 miles right off the bat. To your knowledge, SoutherBoy (and others...), would the dealer ship? If so, how much more can I expect to pay, if anything? Problem with the dearth of MTs is that I'm afraid I won't even have one to test drive. And I will not buy one un-test-driven, y'all's enthusiasm notwithstanding, because I'm still a little worried about Honda/Acura's manual transmission - per my other thread. Any light you could shed on this much appreciated. Thanks.
I didn't mean to imply that you should take a trip up here for your purchase... sorry about that.

Dealers DX cars all of the time. But VA to FLA is a long way is ain't gonna be cheap I'm sure. Also, like you, I would want to see, check out, and test my ride before buying it.

My '04 manual has been flawless.. shifter, clutch assembly, and transmission.. I have no complaints whatsoever. I have not heard of manual tranny problems (other than some people who have had some issues when shifting into 3rd gear - something I have never experienced).

Good luck in your search and I do hope you can locate a 6MT. You won't be sorry.

Quick Reply: Why are MTs so hard to come by?