Sponsored by:

Why I Think Acura Won't Replace Bullshitstones With Another Brand

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:10 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Why I Think Acura Won't Replace Bullshitstones With Another Brand

Here's a true story about the tobacco industry from about 40 years ago.

Believe it or not, the cigarette companies once developed a 'safe' cigarette. While getting it ready for market, their legal departments stepped in and stopped them cold. Their reasoning: By introducing a cigarette that wouldn't give people health problems, they were admitting to the problems caused by what they were already selling and the resulting lawsuits would put them all out of business.

By now, Acura knows what crappy tires they put standard on this car. You think they want the expense and the resulting publicity of replacing tires on all delivered '04 TL's? Bridgestone/Firestone has already had enough of their own bad publicity these last few years. Don't you think they'll go to almost any lengths not to see this happen?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Received 1,008 Likes on 576 Posts
You are absolutely 100% correct about Acura's position, considering the expense and the bad publicity.

From reports on this forum, Bridgestone has been very good at replacing the EL-42's, when contacted directly.

It is just than neither company wants to publicly admit they made a mistake, Acura by not thoroughly testing the tires before putting them on the TL's, and Bridgestone same thing.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about they signed an exclusive contract with Bridgestone to only put their tires on TL's, that may also account why they also use Potenza's as the summer tire option for the 6MT's
Old 04-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadman,

However, the A-spec or 18" wheels come with Yokohama ES 100's, so not exclusively Bridgestone. Its obvious they made a "bulk buy" contract deal with Bridgestone, though, since they'll place 60k+ set of tires on new TL's this year and only a few 100 A-specs.

It would be great if they went with Falken 512's in '05, but Falken is probably a small enough supplier that they couldn't handle the volume? Just a guess. Even Michelins would be better but expensive.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by roadman
How about they signed an exclusive contract with Bridgestone to only put their tires on TL's, that may also account why they also use Potenza's as the summer tire option for the 6MT's
But they did sign and exclusive contract with Bridgestone to supply all OEM (read factory) installations on the TL (18" are not OEM as the dealer has to supply them, not acura, and many dealerships use thier own tire of choice).

This was reported (the exclusive contract) in a post months ago, plus, it is on Bridgestone's press site.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Earlier post:
It turns out that even if the dealer and Acura Customer Service wanted to help a customer get different tires their hands are tied right now. Because Acura has only tested the car with Yokohama's 235/40/18s (same for 17" bridgestones, they can not recommend nor will they participate in any type of tire swap...

As for the warranty with 255/40/18's Acura said there should be no problem because the tire circumference is the same and 255s are just a little wider plus most tire manufactures show the 255's to be fine for this car. Now if you want to go with a taller tire at all... that's a different story... for now it can void your warranty.

Explanation was that the computer is set to detect a certain amount of rotation at turns and such to provide safety with ABS/Stability control and putting on a tire with a different circumference can mess that up somehow... you know what I know... Good luck
Old 04-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyJohnson
only a few 100 A-specs.
There may not be that many true A-Spec TL's (limited to 1000 is what I originally heard), but the 18" OEM wheels are not just part of the A-Spec package. Anyone can add them to their TL. It doesn't have to be an A-Spec. Therefore, there will a lot more than a few hundred TL's riding on 18" wheels.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Advanced

Will ACURA start putting these on all vehicles? Smart ppl wanted better from Acura!

The Potenza RE750 with UNI-T, inspired by the Bridgestone Potenza racing tire, is an ultra-high performance tire that lives up to the Potenza name. The Potenza RE750 has been engineered to reduce road noise, especially as it wears. Designed to complement the style and complex systems of today's finest performance cars, the Potenza RE750 has improved wear for performance applications. The Potenza RE750, with it's unidirectional tread pattern, delivers rapid response, traction and outstanding wet and dry handling, taking performance straight to the top.
Innovative Tire Design - A Comprehensive Tire Design Method
This method improves handling in wet or dry conditions and reduces irregular treadwear by combining the ideal tread design, casing shape, materials, and construction.

Innovative Roundness - Rounder Is Better
Rounder overall tire shape provides better balance for wet or dry handling.

Innovative Compound - Longer Is Stronger
L.L. Carbon utilizes a special form of molecular re-engineered carbon black, a key factor in improving tire wear while enhancing wet performance.

Unidirectional Tread Pattern
Improves high-speed response in changing weather conditions.

Rim Guard
A raised rubber ridge acts like a bumper to protect wheels from curb damage.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by MyJohnson
Roadman,

It would be great if they went with Falken 512's in '05, but Falken is probably a small enough supplier that they couldn't handle the volume?
I ordered Falkens for my wife's Accord two months ago and they're STILL not in. Ever since they were given top rating in Consumer reports, they're buried. No way could they handle the Acura TL contract, although too bad they can't. Awesome tires.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:29 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
I ordered Falkens for my wife's Accord two months ago and they're STILL not in. Ever since they were given top rating in Consumer reports, they're buried. No way could they handle the Acura TL contract, although too bad they can't. Awesome tires.
2 MONTHS???
Where the heck did you order them from?
Were you given an ETA?
Old 04-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Actually about 6 weeks, but I rounded up. It's Sears and of course they don't "carry" Falkens but they can get them. Horrible place, but I got a great deal on the using a "price match" from a web site. They'd love to give me my money back but I won't let them. Anyway, they called Falken while I was there today and they'll be in next week...or so they say!
Old 04-23-2004, 10:35 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
Actually about 6 weeks, but I rounded up. It's Sears and of course they don't "carry" Falkens but they can get them. Horrible place, but I got a great deal on the using a "price match" from a web site. They'd love to give me my money back but I won't let them. Anyway, they called Falken while I was there today and they'll be in next week...or so they say!
Sears???

When I called around their prices were the highest! Didn't you let your 'fingers do the walking' through your area yellow pages for tire places?

The only good thing about Sears is that they offer an optional road hazard warranty.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Yes, of course they are the highest but I printed myself a nice price match. Trust me, best price in town.