Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who pays for loaners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Abyss Blue Sexiness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who pays for loaners?

My local dealership recently had transfer of ownership (from Beaudry to Chapman for those familiar with Tucson) and now they have a new policy of charging $6 for the loaner for what they say is gas expenses. Does anyone know who actually covers the cost of a loaner? Is it Acura as part of the warranty service? Or does the dealership provide this as a courtesy? If it is in fact Acura, I don't see how they can charge me this fee, otherwise I guess I'm stuck.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:34 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I think that you are stuck! To your dealership.

Remember that the dealers are a franchise. They have an agreement with Acura to sell cars and provide certain services. From what I've read here, loners are up to the dealers except for some warranty work.

Acura does not micro manage some things and the franchise gets to try and increase profits or minimize cost in some areas. FWIW, I think your dealer made a piss poor decision and I would certainly tell the GM or owner. Other than that your choice is to find another dealer. If they get enough flack from owners, the policy will change over time. My dealer, which is the only one for 100 miles, recently decided to go the other direction. Acura cars or Hertz cars are provided for most service to customers that purchased the car locally. They even gave Hertz a desk in the service writer area. Next we try to get them to stop providing Hyuandis.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro

My old Audi dealersip would give a loaner, but if the gas guage wasn't in the same place, they'd charge like $4 a gallon...

I drove an A4 loaner for like 2 months and only had to fill the tank after 3,000 miles
Old 07-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would gladly pay $6 for an acura loaner. the past cars i had were...

1.) shit colored Civic, no loaner banner
2.) Chevy Aveo no power anything 1st time driving a car like that. i actually had fun rolling the windows for a few days(imo better ride than civic but looks no)
3.) Mitsubishi Galant (it was actually more uncomfortable to sit in than the rest)
Old 07-06-2005, 02:07 AM
Abyss Blue Sexiness

Well I can understand that when I take it in for an oil change or service, the loaner is more of a courtesy. But when I take it in for warranty service, it seems like I should not be charged a penny since I'm going in to resolve a problem Acura caused in the first place.

Anyone work for an Acura dealership and have insight on this?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

How often are you takin a loaner? I guess if its every oil change... BUt that 6 bucks makes sense. I can understand the reason one would think they shouldn't have to pay it, but I would be willing as long as the car I got was an acura or other luxery car.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Sorry, can't say I'd pay for the loaner, unless I didn't have to fill the tank. The deal at my dealer is you have the loaner and you return it with roughly the same amount of gas as when you got it. A few gallons of regular isn't that expensive. Plus, if you have the loaner for multiple days (as I have), you're paying $6 (whether once or per day) plus the gas you have to put in to drive the loaner for multiple days. Just for one day, though, it's probably a wash...except when they ballpark the amount of gas and you can return it without filling it up as it's still in the ballpark.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:39 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

My dealer drives out picks up my TL and leaves a loaner (usually Toyota Camry rental).

I usually have them pick my car up at work. I work about 50 miles from the dealership so this is a good deal.

They supply this loaner service for all TL service and warranty work.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
10th Gear

redterminator: This seems strange. My car is at Chapman right now for rattling problems. This is my second service for rattle within the last two weeks. I asked for a loaner during both services and nobody has even mentioned anything about $6 loaner charge.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL-in-Tucson
redterminator: This seems strange. My car is at Chapman right now for rattling problems. This is my second service for rattle within the last two weeks. I asked for a loaner during both services and nobody has even mentioned anything about $6 loaner charge.
Sounds to me like the service manager needed lunch money.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by redterminator
My local dealership recently had transfer of ownership (from Beaudry to Chapman for those familiar with Tucson) and now they have a new policy of charging $6 for the loaner for what they say is gas expenses. Does anyone know who actually covers the cost of a loaner? Is it Acura as part of the warranty service? Or does the dealership provide this as a courtesy? If it is in fact Acura, I don't see how they can charge me this fee, otherwise I guess I'm stuck.
Never heard of charging for a loaner. Thats stupid. maybe a lot of people abused the priviledge.

The Acura dealers here say they provide loaners as a courtesy, but they don't charge for it. Most Acura dealers here only give loaners for service taking longer than 2 hours and if you make an appointment.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

I just took my TL in today to check a couple of rattles and to replace the rear window brake light housing (the fabric is loose). They had a $5 charge (which they waived) for insurance on the TL loaner (what a bummer when you get the same exterior and interior color as what you already have). Something new, according to the service department. Don't know if it is for state or federal level, however.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Abyss Blue Sexiness

Originally Posted by TL-in-Tucson
Well I talked to them on the phone to schedule my B service and that's what the lady told me. I don't know if she just didn't know what she was talking about or maybe she implied it would only be on services but not warranty work. I guess I'll find out for sure when I get the service done.

I just thought it was odd that they added that charge, considering that they never charged me before.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
Never heard of charging for a loaner. Thats stupid. maybe a lot of people abused the priviledge.

The Acura dealers here say they provide loaners as a courtesy, but they don't charge for it. Most Acura dealers here only give loaners for service taking longer than 2 hours and if you make an appointment.
Did you buy from Acura Carland? They conveniently didn't tell me that when I bought the car. Now driving from Alpharetta to get an oil change and service is a pain since I end up being there half a day. I usually just go to the local Honda dealer and just hit Acura when I need service. Which I have only had to use once for squeaky brakes.
By the way, nice color choice. Same as mine.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Loaner car

Loaner car program is partially paid by Acura manufacturer for warranty repair. Yes, dealer participation takes a major role regarding to loaner car policy. Acura factory will only pay the dealership for loaner if repair is under warranty.

For example, my Acura dealer currently carries 22 TLs for loaners and we just started again with TSX and even one RL in our fleet. For clients who purchased an Acura vehicle from us, we have them in the data base, and we will definitely provide them with Acura loaner even for routine maintenance for over 2 1/2 hours. If they can give us further notice and reserve a car for them, that will definitely make the whole transaction much smoother. It's not easy for a franchise to spend hundreds of thousands on loaner cars. Some dealers spend even more if they are a higher volume dealer and in a bigger region. As a local dealership, we have to provide our own clients better service to retain our client tale. It also creates customer loyalty. I understand as a consumer, nobody wants to pay too much money for a car, but you do want to be taken care in both sales and service even after the purchase. Leave them some room as incentive for the sales professionals to take of you even in the future. Especially with the new RL, TL, MDX navigation system, you definitely want to build good relationship with your local dealer and sales associate.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzfan
Did you buy from Acura Carland? They conveniently didn't tell me that when I bought the car. Now driving from Alpharetta to get an oil change and service is a pain since I end up being there half a day. I usually just go to the local Honda dealer and just hit Acura when I need service. Which I have only had to use once for squeaky brakes.
By the way, nice color choice. Same as mine.
Nope, I bought from Ed Voyles in Chamblee. The salesguy at Carland tried to take me to the cleaners so I took my business elsewhere. However, I did have my TL's first oil change and maitenence done at Carland. No loaner though, eventhough I wasn't really expecting to get one.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srhewes
I just took my TL in today to check a couple of rattles and to replace the rear window brake light housing (the fabric is loose). They had a $5 charge (which they waived) for insurance on the TL loaner (what a bummer when you get the same exterior and interior color as what you already have). Something new, according to the service department. Don't know if it is for state or federal level, however.
BS. I just got a loaner for mothers day weekend and there was no fee. I returned the car with the gas light on!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ccheung
Loaner car program is partially paid by Acura manufacturer for warranty repair. Yes, dealer participation takes a major role regarding to loaner car policy. Acura factory will only pay the dealership for loaner if repair is under warranty.

For example, my Acura dealer currently carries 22 TLs for loaners and we just started again with TSX and even one RL in our fleet. For clients who purchased an Acura vehicle from us, we have them in the data base, and we will definitely provide them with Acura loaner even for routine maintenance for over 2 1/2 hours. If they can give us further notice and reserve a car for them, that will definitely make the whole transaction much smoother. It's not easy for a franchise to spend hundreds of thousands on loaner cars. Some dealers spend even more if they are a higher volume dealer and in a bigger region. As a local dealership, we have to provide our own clients better service to retain our client tale. It also creates customer loyalty. I understand as a consumer, nobody wants to pay too much money for a car, but you do want to be taken care in both sales and service even after the purchase. Leave them some room as incentive for the sales professionals to take of you even in the future. Especially with the new RL, TL, MDX navigation system, you definitely want to build good relationship with your local dealer and sales associate.

Are you guys located on west broad?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Racer

Wow, you have to pay $6 even if you return your car with same fuel level? Hmmm...
ludachrisvt, I would love to visit that dealer where you dont have to refuel before returning. =)

I have my car in the dealer shop for almost a week now. They drove my car about 20 miles by now. I should charge them $8/g if they don't refuel my car.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jhan1102
I have my car in the dealer shop for almost a week now. They drove my car about 20 miles by now. I should charge them $8/g if they don't refuel my car.
Don't worry...they won't...
Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

Acura paid for an Enterprise rental for me while I got warranty work. I think it's part of the AcuraCare warranty.
If you are only paying $6 for gas, you are getting an awesome deal.
I pay for 100% of my gas.

OMG, I got a PT Cruiser for my rental though. Talk about a reminder for why I got my TL... No power locks...No cruise...No power...bleh...
Old 07-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Abyss Blue Sexiness

Originally Posted by jhan1102
Wow, you have to pay $6 even if you return your car with same fuel level? Hmmm...
ludachrisvt, I would love to visit that dealer where you dont have to refuel before returning. =)

No, it's just a flat fee for the usage of the car to cover fuel costs. Under prior ownership I didn't have to pay anything for a loaner, so I was curious how widely used these charges are. Sounds like many dealerships are doing this.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just found this thread. I've had a loaner twice from chapman and never had to pay any $$ for it.. But both times were for warranty work and not during service. I actually like chapman a lot.. even though I only go every 4-6 months the guy (Paul) knows by name.. they're open good hours for a Tucson business also..
Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I've only had problems with Acura Loaners, and their bull shit. I take our Lexus to to the dealer, no questions asked you get a brand new ES350, GS300 or IS250 to drive off with. I've heard that its the same no questions asked policy with the other big dogs too, BMW, Benz, Infiniti, Audi.

It's this type of shit that Acura does that will never get them distinguished in the Luxary market like the other contenders.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:44 AM
Meat Popsicle

Wow.
McGrath Acura in Illinois gives me a TSX for my TL. Usually it only takes one days notice. Last time I asked for an RDX and they gave me one with no problems. ( Loved it by the way, its a little bull dog! )
They said something about the RDX and MDX owners getting the same model as they bring in. She said it was some new policy started with those models.

When you pick it up from them it is running with air or heat on. That is the sercive you expect when you buy an Acura instead of a Honda.
Right?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Pro

Bought my TL from chapman in June of 2006.

Question for my fellow Tucson TL drivers: how responsive has Chapman been on handling rattles and what were the results? How many times did you have to take it in for rattles? Did they agree to fix the rattles right away or did you have to fight with them to get them fixed? Any other experiences or comments would be appreciated, thanks.

I've only taken the TL there for service once so far, A1 service at 5500 miles. It only took them 15 minutes, it was AMAZINGLY fast. I couldn't believe it. Service rep said it didn't take any time because he had service techs just sitting around waiting. I know they rotated the tires, too, because my curb-scratched wheels are in different locations now.

On the negative side, I faced a LOT of sales pressure from my salesman. It was pretty bad and really unnecessary. On the positive side, they never gave me any flack for being so young and treated me well, never asked me how much money I was making until we did the financing. (A lot of other dealers treated me like crap or immediately asked me how much money I was making before they even let me test drive a car, like I was wasting their time or something.)
Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Terminex

I never pay for loaner or gas

Wow. didn't realize how good we have it at my local dealer. They always provide a loaner, even if i am just getting an oil change, and i have never put any gas in the loaner.

Only thing i did not like is that sometimes i get a TSX, and it does not have as much leg room. (yes it IS an issue when you are 6'5")
Old 03-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Racer

got a tsx loaner for taking in my 06tl for rattles.

im quite surprised at the build quality of the tsx. really wishing i had the tsx (that was actually built in japan) than my 06 tl that was built in ohio (probably built by rednecks, which is why for the rattles)

i drove to the dealer last saturday at 8am on my one day off to fix the rattles. they said they have no recollection of me making an appt and scheduled me for one a week later. so i woke up early on my one day off for nothing, not to mention the gas that i wasted, not to mention the gas that my sister wasted for driving there also to give me a ride home when my supposed "non scheduled" appt was set. and then i bring my car in today and IF they asked me to pay for the loaner on top of the gas that im putting back in, i would laughed and spit in his face for all the trouble he caused me.

this is definitely my first and last acura. its not the service part or anything in general that i find displeasure in acura. its just a combination of all the things that i have had to deal with that i cant stand anymore. my sister gets a loaner from her lexus dealer for free, no questions asked, even for oil changes (appt req. tho), and they dont even ask her to put in gas. its filled up as is.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced

I agree with lilfeat. McGrath is very generous with loaners. But...if you don't fill up the tank, they charge you $80!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Pro

My dealer gave me a TSX loaner for my 06 TL. No fees, except I had to refill the car to full. I drove the loaner for about 80 miles, which translated to $10 in gas. No big deal!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
i got a 2006 TL loaner for my 2005 TL...

The only thing that i did was fill up the tank for them, they ASK that you fill it up but if you dont they won't charge but it is always good to fill it up anyways you dont want to piss them off for next time you need a loaner....

it was stockton Acura in Stockton Cali, they were pretty cool about it, i didn;t even have to ask they just told me hey take the loaner TL no problem

desper
Old 04-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fine with me. Much cheaper than filling it up.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 AM
'06 AM A-SPEC TL w/NAV

David McDavid Acura in Plano didn't charge me to have an 07 RDX while my aspec kit is being put on.

I think they shouldn't
They just asked me to bing it back with the same amount of gas
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

acura in delray bch fl gave just gave me an mdx while my tl is having service. not sure if have to fill gas tank but while call before i return it
Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
10th Gear

Dealers purchase loaner vehicles so what they do with them is their choice. My dealer only requests that the car be returned with the same amount of fuel I took it with.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Advanced

I recently took my 07 TL-S in for the allignment being off centered at Cerritos Acura in Socal and they gave me a 06 TL with full package and the Service Adviser apologize to me that they can't give me a Type S as a loaner. They did told me that the gas needs to be the same when the loaner is returned. No charges are needed for the loaner. REDTERMINATOR, you should definitely ask the manager to find out. $6 for a loaner car does not sound right.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:50 AM
TL SL ML :)

I have to say that compared to other companies Acura seems a little more stingy haha...With both my Lexus's I never had any issues with loaners nor did they require/charge you a fee or penalize you for bringing the car back on empty...They also provide nice loaners new 07 IS, ES, and RX models....

Now if you want to talk about service...I haven't found a dealer to this day that provides better service than my Mercedes dealer...Ray Catena Mercedes-Benz in Edison, NJ

...the service center at Ray Catena's is amazing, their facility is a state of the art warehouse size building with 64 bays and over 200 2006-2007 ML350's, R350's and C-class 4-matic loaner cars free of charge and for any service(as long as you bought from them) otherwise its for long services only I believe...they provide free catered food, free drinks and shoe shines not to mention internet access via 10 flat panel computers (that have cable tv as well), a pool table and a virtual golf room.

I was just there couple weeks back and a woman with a black CLS55 with Florida plates pulled into the service center reporting of some problems(w/o an appointment) and they looked at the car, no questions asked, and had one of the reps show her to the waiting area where they showed her to food and drinks as if she was their own customer.

Even the sales people at Ray Catena MB are much more professional and curtious then any I've dealt with... My salesmen at Ray Catena who I've known now for over 8 years along with every other employee of the organization are incredibly curtious and place no pressure to buy EVER, they know the customer needs their space and time to make such decisions and therefore help in every way possible and let the customer make the final decision on when they're ready to buy.

When in the market for a car two years back...I asked my salesman if I could test drive an SL after sitting inside one in the showroom (and wasn't even seriously considering it let alone buying it)...but nonetheless he literally drove the white SL out of the showroom simply because I'd asked to test drive A SL (not even that particular one) but since I had glanced at it and liked the white...he just did it (even though they had a bunch of test drive/demo SL's to take for a spin) and go figure I ended up getting that same car I test drove...and after deciding on the SL...I wanted to drive a E55 for kicks and he again pulled out a new E55 and I took it for a test drive

Maybe this is because he just knows that I don't come to the dealer unless I'm in the market...whatever the reason...Ray Catena MB has the best of the best working for him and it really does show
Old 04-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

The last time I was at Chapman was for an A1 service and to replace the 3rd brake light cover, the material was sagging.
I made an appointment; they gave me an MDX as a loaner, no fee. It was a little low on gas; the service rep said to put in what I needed, and not fill it up, that they wouldn't reimburse for gas.
I was pretty happy with that.
Mike
Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

Usually when I get work down at Prestige Acura in Santa Rosa, CA. I get a loaner car at no charge. Their only requirement is that the gas tank be filled. On another occassion they didn't have any loaners available so they ended up getting me a rental at no charge.