Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White pearl advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White pearl advice!

White pearl is a fantastic color. My 2002 TL was white pearl. Some caveats, 1-It is very tough to keep clean!!! 2-Paint chips are almost imposible to repair in a satifactory fashion. The reason the color looks great is that it is actually different color layers. If any of you has used touch up paint you know that its a pain for one color so you can imagine three! I ended up using a white which approximated but certainly did not duplicate the original color. Result were of marginal quality at best. I'm not dissing the color, I think it's one of the best, but my wife's only request when I bought the car was that it wasn't white because I spent too much time slaving at it!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: White pearl advice!

Originally posted by vtechbrain
White pearl is a fantastic color. My 2002 TL was white pearl. Some caveats, 1-It is very tough to keep clean!!! 2-Paint chips are almost imposible to repair in a satifactory fashion. The reason the color looks great is that it is actually different color layers. If any of you has used touch up paint you know that its a pain for one color so you can imagine three! I ended up using a white which approximated but certainly did not duplicate the original color. Result were of marginal quality at best. I'm not dissing the color, I think it's one of the best, but my wife's only request when I bought the car was that it wasn't white because I spent too much time slaving at it!!!
Actually the reason why the touch-up paint doesn't work is because the paint is metallic. It is impossible to match a metallic color with ANY metallic paint because of the metal flakes in the paint...just can't get the right mix in touch-up paint.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Banned

The metallic is an additional issue. White pearl in more than one color!
Old 11-18-2003, 09:35 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by vtechbrain
The metallic is an additional issue. White pearl in more than one color!
OK, so define to me what the different color layers are other than the primer, the paint, and the clearcoat? You can bet if it is multiple layers of different colors, no body shop around will be able to match the factory paint.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Banned

Guys your not getting it. Its not just a different layer It's a color!!!! This is besides the clear coat or primer. For touchup you dont care about primer or clearcoat anyway. It's just the base color whether metallic or not. If you buy a blue, green, solid white or any other standard paint color it's ONE color. Therefore if you need touch up you purchase that SINGLE color and fill in the paint chip. With White pearl You hve to use TWO separate colors as layers to attempt to match the color. Aside from doing it in a shop this is almost impossible to do. Even when the cars come from the factory if you look close enough you will see variations from car to car. Even on the same car, components made from different materials Bumpers vs steel parts might show different shades. After an accident, getting the new parts to match perfectly is essentially impossible. Again, Its a beautiful color but people should know the caveats of it.
White pearl is a color cobination invented by Audi in the mid 1980's I saw it introduced at the Frankfurt auto show (courtesy of the Army) where it caused a sensation. It has been one of my favorite car colors since then. Acura has been perfecting it's application since the 99 TL. My 2002 Tl's application was moderately succesful. In this new model and the TSX I think they have finally mastered the technique for mass producing this very difficult paint scheme.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:11 AM
BOOK EM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vtech, its funny that you mention the touchup, because I Just came back from the dealer with the WDP for my 6spd Nav. So your saying the color would be totally off?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Danno, what color Interior did you get on your 6 spped get Nav too ??