Where to get aspec kit? suspension, wheels rub?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009 | 05:52 PM
10th Gear

Where to get aspec kit? suspension, wheels rub?

Hi all! I'm a new Acura 2006 TL owner. I want to start doing stuff to it but I'm having trouble knowing what the terms are that I see. What is aspec body kit versus the type-s body kit? I want to get a kit for my front and back bumpers but I dont want to cut it. Where can I get a clean add on lip kit? and what is it called? I spent some hours looking though the threads but couldnt find the answer probably because my question is for begginers. also if I put on 19inch wheels, how much can I afford to drop it without it rubbing. what springs or suspension kit should I get? thanks for your help guys!
Old 09-11-2009 | 05:56 PM
10th Gear

also if I want to clear out my front headlights, how do I do that ? do i have to do it manually and rig something?
Old 09-11-2009 | 07:38 PM

Welcome and congrats on your TL purchase!

First of all you want to get the regular A-Spec body kit for the 2004-2006 model years. The Type-S A-Spec kit is only for the TL Type-S models that were made in 2007 and 2008 only.

As for suspension there are tons of different set ups available. Most people would advise you not to just get aftermarket springs and keep your stock shocks being that it's typical for your stock shocks to blow out prematurely and give you a pretty rough ride. It's not guaranteed to happen, but I've heard quite a few stories about it. If you want improved handling and a slight drop of around 1", consider the A-Spec suspension package. You can order it from Acura. It was a factory option when your car was new. Quite a few people here have opted to go with a full coilover suspension, TEIN SS. It's quite pricey but I've heard it's an awesome set up. It will lower your car much more than the A-Spec suspension will. Also unlike the A-Spec suspension, the TEIN is fully adjustable so you can adjust your ride height.

Check out these links for the stuff I mentioned:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=95
^Those guys are an official vendor for Acurazine. They may give you a discount depending on what parts you order. Don't quote me on that though.

www.hondaacuraworld.com
^I believe they are a vendor for Acurazine as well. I'll be ordering my A-Spec kit through these guys eventually. They have the best price I have seen around on the full kit.

www.hondapartsunlimited.com
^As for little parts on the car you may be missing or want to replace, I've used these guys multiple times and have had great service.

I have no idea step for step how to clear your headlights. Look in the 3G Garage for the answer to that question, there should be a DIY. You pretty much take off your front bumper, take out your headlights, put the headlights in the oven to loosen up the sealant, open the headlights, break the clips holding in the yellow diffuser, and then seal it all back up. You could also paint all of the silver trim to "blackout" your headlights. I'll be blacking out mine hopefully within the next month. I'm just a pussy and scared to do it myself haha, I'm scared I'll mess something up.

I'm not an expert on this forum either so others I'm sure will be giving you their opinions as well. Hope I helped!

Last edited by CLtotheTL32; 09-11-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2009 | 12:58 AM
10th Gear

thanks buddy! this has been really helpful, Im going to look into the tein adjustable coilovers. as for the headlights, I wish there was an easier way. hmm
Old 09-12-2009 | 02:46 AM
Lt. Gamble

Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko187
thanks buddy! this has been really helpful, Im going to look into the tein adjustable coilovers. as for the headlights, I wish there was an easier way. hmm
Welcome!!

I just want to add that if your interested in getting parts for your car I would suggest checking out the black market (click "off topic" tab, scroll down to private sales). I've bought a lot of great parts that other members were getting rid of at a cheap price (sometimes ridiculously cheap). As for headlights, a member here named JnC does custom headlights and he does a great job, check out his work you won't be disappointed (go on 3g TL forum and scorll down you'll see his thread). Anyways I hope this helps you out and good luck!

What color is your ride?
Old 09-12-2009 | 03:11 AM
10th Gear

thanks mad caps, my ride is 06 tl with nav Black on black!