3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When not giving enough gas in 1st from standstill to accelerating, how bad is this lu

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When not giving enough gas in 1st from standstill to accelerating, how bad is this lu

i have heard that when you are at standstill, and you try to accelerate in 1st, but do not give enough gas, it is considered lugging b/c the rpm drops below idle. is this lugging? and if so how bad is this for the engine and transmission?

the car also sounds like its about to stall, but when i put push clutch in again, it sounds like it sprung back to life.

i have learned driving manual about 5 months ago. i am pretty good and comfortable at it, yet i still make some of this "lugging" in first gear time to time. i know i can launch well, but its just that sometimes, i mess up.

i was just wondering how bad is this for the engine and transmission?
i am just worried about hurting my car...

please help in answering!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:50 AM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
practice. you will slowly learn the car more and more. sometimes it takes a while. i do it every so often now. but its usually because im being lazy or not paying attention.
doing every now and agian isnt too bad but as long as you arnt doing it every single time you should be fine. try to finesse the clutch and throttle just right where you dont make it lugg.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Lugging is not good for the motor.

There are a few definitions of 'lugging'. One is 'trying to produce more hp/torque than the motor can produce at a given RPM'. Basically, if the motor is at a low rpm and you give it gas but it does not accelerate, you're lugging. Usually this would be when, say, you go around a corner and forget to downshift and try to accelerate at slow speeds in a high gear.
Bad juju.

But it sounds to me like you're just not quite used to how much gas you need to give it when first starting up and sometimes you stall out. It happens. Just don't make a habit out of it.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by handydandy
i have heard that when you are at standstill, and you try to accelerate in 1st, but do not give enough gas, it is considered lugging b/c the rpm drops below idle. is this lugging? and if so how bad is this for the engine and transmission?

the car also sounds like its about to stall, but when i put push clutch in again, it sounds like it sprung back to life.

i have learned driving manual about 5 months ago. i am pretty good and comfortable at it, yet i still make some of this "lugging" in first gear time to time. i know i can launch well, but its just that sometimes, i mess up.

i was just wondering how bad is this for the engine and transmission?
i am just worried about hurting my car...

please help in answering!
My position would be that you are not lugging the engine, and even if you are, lugging doesn't do any particular harm.

I realize that most readers would disagree with this, but if so, I challenge you to be specific as to just how and why lugging hurts your engine.

Bruce