Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel cleaners and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 06:00 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel cleaners and Brakes

anyone have any issues with Wheel cleaners and whether or not residual spray on discs would cause problems. curious, some cleaners specify not to spray on brake parts and other do not.

Anyway, How the hell can you spray this stuff on your wheels without hitting the brakes?

What's a good product
Old 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having the cleaner hit the rotors or calipers shouldn't be a problem, especially since you'll be rinsing it off with water after you've applied it.

The thing you SHOULD be cautious about is to not apply cleaner or water to the brakes unless they're cool. Applying cleaner or water to hot brake components can easily cause warped rotors.

Regards,
Old 08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Instructor

http://www.properautocare.com/hi-c32.html
High Intensity cleaner. This stuff works very well. I cut the stuff 50/50 with water for normal wheel and tire cleaning. 100% for under hood clean up. I've used it for three years or so, and have never had a problem with the clear coat, etc.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meguiars wheel cleaner works well for me.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Aegir
Meguiars wheel cleaner works well for me.
Yes, Meguiars makes great products. Also, use Formula 2000. Why? No acids to eat away the finish.
Make sure you clean when the wheels are cool.
If your buying a product that says do not hit the brakes, it is too corrosive for anything. I'd stay away.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I wrote an article on car cleaning that was syndicated in 100 newspapers cross-country, and always recommended that you only clean the wheels when they are cool (as already posted), but that the area around the wheel/tire should always be sprayed with water first. Why? This ensures that the alkaline cleaners do not cut through the wax (at best) or damage the clear coat (at worst). And bes ure you are not usinga cleaner designed for bare aluminum or magnesium - these will be acid-based, and can cause immediate and irreparable dfamage to paint.

I like those wheel brushes wiuth the "split-end" synthetic fibers - they are resilient and yet soft - make sure you rinse them well after use. (For car cleaning, I like my boar's hair brush - expensive, but it is soft and keeps the dirt from re-depopsiting on the paint).

Modern alkaline cleaners can be sprayed on the brake components (such as calipers) to keep them clean - this is actually also a good idea as it helps ensure that the ABS sensor is clean and gets a good "reading" from the front hub assembly - I have seen several cases where people came to my shop with their ABS light on, and all I needed to do was pull the wheel, spray with a quality cleaner, lightly brush, and rinse.

I find that Simple Green is a great tire/wheel cleaner, and economical in the gallon sizes.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Red line...use it

I heard P21s is the best, Any opinions?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Road Rage
I wrote an article on car cleaning that was syndicated in 100 newspapers cross-country, and always recommended that you only clean the wheels when they are cool (as already posted), but that the area around the wheel/tire should always be sprayed with water first. Why? This ensures that the alkaline cleaners do not cut through the wax (at best) or damage the clear coat (at worst). And bes ure you are not usinga cleaner designed for bare aluminum or magnesium - these will be acid-based, and can cause immediate and irreparable dfamage to paint.

I like those wheel brushes wiuth the "split-end" synthetic fibers - they are resilient and yet soft - make sure you rinse them well after use. (For car cleaning, I like my boar's hair brush - expensive, but it is soft and keeps the dirt from re-depopsiting on the paint).

Modern alkaline cleaners can be sprayed on the brake components (such as calipers) to keep them clean - this is actually also a good idea as it helps ensure that the ABS sensor is clean and gets a good "reading" from the front hub assembly - I have seen several cases where people came to my shop with their ABS light on, and all I needed to do was pull the wheel, spray with a quality cleaner, lightly brush, and rinse.

I find that Simple Green is a great tire/wheel cleaner, and economical in the gallon sizes.

Congrats. Got a link for us?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:59 AM
Racer

I use Eagle 1 wheel cleaner, best results yet.