3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's making this sound under hard acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 02:36 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's making this sound under hard acceleration?

Can anyone tell me what is making this sound?

When I'm under hard acceleration, I hear a whining sound from engine at upper band(4500~6800RPM).
I can hear it in 1st because there is less road and wind noise.
It almost sounds like some sort of pulley rotating really fast or fuel being injected to engine.
It is definintely not from exhaust because all I hear from back of car is growling(sort of, not that american V8 growl)

So which is it?

1. gas being injected to engine
2. pulley rotating really fast
3. air intake sucking air
4. something else?

By the way I think the sound is really COOL.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Racer

Not sure, but in my old '83 RX-7 (6 port street ported rotary engine), when I accelerated hard, I would hear a whining sound from my transmission in the upper revs. When I would shift (1-3rd gear), it made a slight spin down noise which sounded like a small turbo bypass valve opening up. I think it was because I was pushing a lot more torque than the trans was designed to handle with my ported engine. I went through three transmissions in 4 years.

With the TL though, not sure what the noise is.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless I'm mistaken, that's the VTEC kicking in... Kicks in around 5k.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Import and Domestic owner

Its the VTEC engaging.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
Its the VTEC engaging.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
All VTEC does is change cam timing.. it alters the degrees at which the intake and exhaust valves open and close. Whining sounds from an engine would be from a supercharger (unless you have one, you can cancel that), intake sounds , or from a transmission suspect gear whine. Other possibilities: timing belt or surpentine belt (hard to imagine either of those being the source). Finally, we have a fairly quiet exhaust with the TL, so engine and other sounds are going to be more noticed then in cars with more aggressive exhaust notes.

For the record, when I nail the throttle with my TL (manual tranny), what I hear most is the intake drawing air. It completely overwhelms all other sounds and it's box stock.

Of course, there is no way ANY 6-cylinder engine is going to sound like an "American V8". Just ain't gonna happen.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
All VTEC does is change cam timing.. it alters the degrees at which the intake and exhaust valves open and close.
it may / will change cam timing, but it's main operating principle is to change lift and duration. lift = the amount of distance the valve moves away from it's seat/sealing point. duration = the amount of time the valve stays open. timing = when the cam cycles in relation to the piston stroke.)

from Acura's website:
Conventional valve systems force you to choose between low-end torque and high-end horsepower. Never one to compromise, the TL features Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®), which integrates two cam profiles on a single shaft to provide power on both ends of rev range. To boost torque at low engine speeds, the system uses a cam profile that creates low valve lift and short valve opening duration. As engine speed increases, the system switches to a cam profile with higher valve lift and longer duration, boosting high-end horsepower.

i used to think it just opened an additional set of valves...

hth-
Old 03-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwmn
it may / will change cam timing, but it's main operating principle is to change lift and duration. lift = the amount of distance the valve moves away from it's seat/sealing point. duration = the amount of time the valve stays open. timing = when the cam cycles in relation to the piston stroke.)

from Acura's website:
Conventional valve systems force you to choose between low-end torque and high-end horsepower. Never one to compromise, the TL features Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®), which integrates two cam profiles on a single shaft to provide power on both ends of rev range. To boost torque at low engine speeds, the system uses a cam profile that creates low valve lift and short valve opening duration. As engine speed increases, the system switches to a cam profile with higher valve lift and longer duration, boosting high-end horsepower.

i used to think it just opened an additional set of valves...

hth-
Thanks.. good point. I neglected to mention valve lift. Nice catch.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:04 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I'm convinced it is air intake. I cannot hear it when I accelerate slowly up to 6800RPM. I can only hear it when I'm doing pedal to the floor.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Import and Domestic owner

im a homo i love to beat off in my acura. i have come to the conclusion that i am gay i have been beating off in my acura thinking about how i want to stick it in a man ass..... please can i have some advice on how to fix my problem... thanx guys