3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal with the remote fob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What's the deal with the remote fob?

Just picked up my new '06 Blue/Quartz TL 5AT w/Navi and so far am very happy. However, I've come back to oowning an Acura after Audi and Lexus and am extremely disappointed with the key fob. Both Audi and Lexus have an integrated key fob which is much nicer and easier to slip into the pocket.

Obviously this did not eliminate the Acura for me as it's a minor thing, but when I actually picked up the car I was amazed at the terrible quality and appearance of the remote fob. My wife's Hyundai has a nicer remote fob !!

So... the question is, are there any other options available besides the Honda key hack that has been posted on this board before? Or do we hope & wait until the '07's come out with an integrated/nicer key fob?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Sec's Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=1&pp=25

Good Luck!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Heh - why is there a key at all?? Should only be needed when your battery is dead.

Also, whats with the long tube for inserting the key, issuing keys with very sharp edges, and then painting around the key hole??? I bought my TL with 10 miles and scratches in the key hole paint already there. I complained to the dealer, but if you use the key on a regular basis, how could it not get scratched???

Really poor key and key hole design on gen3.

And getting back to the point, yeah, the fob is cheap. Its the same I had on my 2002 TL-S. Take my advice and don't carry it in your pocket as all the paint will wear off.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Sheesh ! It's a key !

It goes in your pocket and basically gets agitated with all the other crap in your pocket. If lucky, it might even get rudely tossed into a desk drawer at work every morning. It lives a life of abuse and torture. Sure it may be a finer detail that Acura left out but I guess I can overlook it. Not one person has followed the compliments they give the car with "too bad about the key man"

The only problem I have with it is it is the exact same shape as my wife's Odyssey key so I am inevitably ending up in one or the other car with the key all the way in the ignition wondering why it won't turn. That's not Honda/Acura's fault.

Maybe I should Zaino it. Or perhaps there is an aftermarket opportunity here for Tag-Heuer to make carbon fiber replacement fob housings with unobtanium button inserts.

Sorry if I got carried away. I just think a bit of perspective goes a long way.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Advanced

I hate how the fob gets all busted up after a few months on the keychain! I just wish that was better quality.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:34 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I was actually looking for a key fob holder or case or something
Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Instructor

After having the BMW integrated key - I agree, the fob is plain. BMW could insert the key into a little computer thing and pull up all vehicle records.

But it does the job, and I'll take the good with the bad!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Instructor

On the bright side, if you loose it or jump into to a pool with it in your pocket you won't have to buy a $200+ key
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

I thought the same thing... my accord had a better system!
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondafan
On the bright side, if you loose it or jump into to a pool with it in your pocket you won't have to buy a $200+ key
A VERY valid point!!!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:01 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by msingh
Just picked up my new '06 Blue/Quartz TL 5AT w/Navi and so far am very happy. However, I've come back to oowning an Acura after Audi and Lexus and am extremely disappointed with the key fob. Both Audi and Lexus have an integrated key fob which is much nicer and easier to slip into the pocket.

Obviously this did not eliminate the Acura for me as it's a minor thing, but when I actually picked up the car I was amazed at the terrible quality and appearance of the remote fob. My wife's Hyundai has a nicer remote fob !!

So... the question is, are there any other options available besides the Honda key hack that has been posted on this board before? Or do we hope & wait until the '07's come out with an integrated/nicer key fob?

It's never too late to trade it in. For me it was a toss up between the TL and and the Ferrari 599GTB. Then I saw the hazard button on the Ferrari, didn't like it at all so I chose the TL. I am extremely happy.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:56 AM
10th Gear

Guess what surprised me was that Acura got so many other small details right, but missed one of the more obvious ones. Again - this wasn't a huge deal for me, if it was I would not have purchased the car, but it just seems odd.

From the responses it looks like there are no alternatives and I'll look froward to laughing at my Audi/BMW/Lexus/Infiniti friends when they complain about the $2000 it took to replace their key when dropped in their pool .
Old 03-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by msingh
Guess what surprised me was that Acura got so many other small details right, but missed one of the more obvious ones. Again - this wasn't a huge deal for me, if it was I would not have purchased the car, but it just seems odd.

From the responses it looks like there are no alternatives and I'll look froward to laughing at my Audi/BMW/Lexus/Infiniti friends when they complain about the $2000 it took to replace their key when dropped in their pool .
If you do jump in the pool with yours, rest assured that by taking the back cover off and letting it dry out it will work again. I know from personal experience.

In case you didn't know there is a chip in the key that enables your car to start. If you were to take your key down to the hardware store to have another made up it will not work.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Instructor

The painted on Lock symbol and Trunk realease symbol are basically gone now, they seemed to be rubbing off from my fingers touching it, i have only had the car for a less than a month ...
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by awood
Heh - why is there a key at all?? Should only be needed when your battery is dead.

Also, whats with the long tube for inserting the key, issuing keys with very sharp edges, and then painting around the key hole??? I bought my TL with 10 miles and scratches in the key hole paint already there. I complained to the dealer, but if you use the key on a regular basis, how could it not get scratched???

Really poor key and key hole design on gen3.

And getting back to the point, yeah, the fob is cheap. Its the same I had on my 2002 TL-S. Take my advice and don't carry it in your pocket as all the paint will wear off.
awood,

The area around the keyhole actually pops off really easily and you can buy pre-painted replacements. Most people I've seen actually replace them with one from the backdoor to give it a "shaved" keyhole look. Here is an example of where you can pick one up:

ebay link

-apnar
Old 03-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Does anyone have pictures of this installed? ... i cant seem to imagine how that piece would give the car a "shaved" effect.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can any hardware store cut our keys? I mean if you got an uncut keyfob could you just get it cut at a home depot and put the chip from one of our keys in it? Then program it....

That being said will this FCC ID # OUCG8D-380H-A FCC work for us?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:47 PM
FOR SALE - BM

Originally Posted by lembowski
Can any hardware store cut our keys? I mean if you got an uncut keyfob could you just get it cut at a home depot and put the chip from one of our keys in it? Then program it....

That being said will this FCC ID # OUCG8D-380H-A FCC work for us?
Yes,,, i went to Home Depot and asked them to cut me a key... They told me thatthe key would not start the car... I told them that i know this, and i was using it as a spare key to open my door.. went on Ebay and bought the Honda key for 10$ same FCC numbers that you describe.. sorry no pics.... but the Home Depot Key so it fit the Honda FOB and went to my Acura dealer and spoke with my service adviser ... He thought it was a cool mod and reporgrammed the Honda FOB to work in my acura.... Did not need to cut out and replace the immobilizer..... Don't make the mistake i did... When and If you go get yo reprogframmed you need all of your keys with you because they reprogram the immobilizer all at once...
Old 03-30-2006, 01:10 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by drdamian
Yes,,, i went to Home Depot and asked them to cut me a key... They told me thatthe key would not start the car... I told them that i know this, and i was using it as a spare key to open my door.. went on Ebay and bought the Honda key for 10$ same FCC numbers that you describe.. sorry no pics.... but the Home Depot Key so it fit the Honda FOB and went to my Acura dealer and spoke with my service adviser ... He thought it was a cool mod and reporgrammed the Honda FOB to work in my acura.... Did not need to cut out and replace the immobilizer..... Don't make the mistake i did... When and If you go get yo reprogframmed you need all of your keys with you because they reprogram the immobilizer all at once...

How much did the dealer charge you to reprogram it?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by drdamian
Thanks, so I need to take all my keys....as in driver 1, driver 2, and valet?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:25 PM
FOR SALE - BM

Well, first i called around to a couple of acura dealerships... they wanted like 20 - 40$ to reprogram it... then i called my acura dealer which isn't really close to my work.. the service guy told me initially 25$ , then he put me on the phone with my service manager and he told me he would do it for free... When i arrived i showed him the key,,... He had a puzzled look on his face.. He said "are you sure this is gonna work"?... Oh yeah im sure... but i had the honda FOB and 1 other acura key....... He told me that if i wanted all my keys to work then i would need them all together.. So i went home and i got my 2 keys, valet key and the new Honda FOB and now all 4 of the keys that i have work.... I tipped my service advisor 10$ for doing it for me... he was real appreciative... Im sure that if you approach your service advisor he might do the same for you...
I am the only one that drives my car and you lose your driver 1 and driver 2 settings.. When you use the Honda FOB i had to reprogram all my radio settings...But once they are programed they stay that way... I now have to hit the unlock button 2x to unlock all of the doors, as i had it set up to unlock all the doors when you press the unlock button... And when i drive at night, i keep the brightness of the dash on max brightness, but when i use the Honda FOB it defaults to dim mode when you turn the lights on....
I didn't mess with the other custom driver settings as i really don't use them... I like to manually lock and unlock my own doors,, and i turn my lights on and off myself (HID are to expensive to replace) ..... Hope this helps...
Old 03-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rrickh1
Does anyone have pictures of this installed? ... i cant seem to imagine how that piece would give the car a "shaved" effect.
rrickh1,

There is a pic in this thread. I personally don't get calling it shaved either, that's why I put it in quotes. Though I do think it's an inexpensive cool looking mod if you never use your key.

-apnar