3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you like to see in future TLs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure why all the fuss with AWD. AWD takes some of the fun away, especially with traction control. RWD would be just fine.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:17 AM
I shift therefore I am

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Wheel Drive - and I wont ask for anything more!
Old 10-20-2004, 03:51 AM
Instructor

1. Full size spare
2. longer Multi-Info Display (like they have in audi's and toureg and if possible programmable, so i can specify the combo of data items to be displayed.); also it should be placed in the center of the instrument panel
3. memory for passenger seats (all my friends want to experience the ride and my wife would like to have the seat back to her preference at the touch of a button
4. internal trunk release knob/lever
5. parking brake closer to the driver seat as against the passenger seat (i find myself brushing against passenger everytime i pull/release the parking brake.)
6. flaps on vanity mirror should open down and not up; currently they block the light :-(
7. auto on/off lights; although we've auto off, the lights turn on when you start the car in the morning
8. daytime running lights
9. rain sensitive wipers
10. some way to make my car "smell" like a new car all the time.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tomhanx
1. Full size spare
2. longer Multi-Info Display (like they have in audi's and toureg and if possible programmable, so i can specify the combo of data items to be displayed.); also it should be placed in the center of the instrument panel
3. memory for passenger seats (all my friends want to experience the ride and my wife would like to have the seat back to her preference at the touch of a button
4. internal trunk release knob/lever
5. parking brake closer to the driver seat as against the passenger seat (i find myself brushing against passenger everytime i pull/release the parking brake.)
6. flaps on vanity mirror should open down and not up; currently they block the light :-(
7. auto on/off lights; although we've auto off, the lights turn on when you start the car in the morning
8. daytime running lights
9. rain sensitive wipers
10. some way to make my car "smell" like a new car all the time.
4. there already is a trunk release lever i thought
10. clean your funky ass :p jk
Old 10-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Advanced

My god guys, Why did you buy the car, if you wanted these features shouldve gone with the Cadillac or the Infiniti, RWD, Acura wont make it RWD especially because of your stupid wish list., its cheaper to make it FWD.. they arnt going to put baby blue mercedes tints either. they arnt going to put massagers on the damn chairs (Thank god to no massagers) those chairs are terrible!! If you guys want all this crap then do/install it yourself.. its not going to come stock anytime soon...
You might as well ask for Wings, so we can fly around, or Auto Pilot features.. come on guys this post was rediculous.. Shouldve stuck to what the guy said.. (Fix the problems they already have) like Vibrations , Rattles, Tranny.. I havnt had any of these problems *knock on wood*.. but i believe alot of people have them.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Zero523
My god guys, Why did you buy the car, if you wanted these features shouldve gone with the Cadillac or the Infiniti, RWD, Acura wont make it RWD especially because of your stupid wish list., its cheaper to make it FWD.. they arnt going to put baby blue mercedes tints either. they arnt going to put massagers on the damn chairs (Thank god to no massagers) those chairs are terrible!! If you guys want all this crap then do/install it yourself.. its not going to come stock anytime soon...
You might as well ask for Wings, so we can fly around, or Auto Pilot features.. come on guys this post was rediculous.. Shouldve stuck to what the guy said.. (Fix the problems they already have) like Vibrations , Rattles, Tranny.. I havnt had any of these problems *knock on wood*.. but i believe alot of people have them.

LOL no kidding. The price would prob be well into the 50K mark if not more. I'm very happy with what I have. But as mentioned earlier..if they fixed all the current issues than it would best.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Racer

Um.....

I did ask for it to fly and for autopilot. See my previous post!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Advanced

A couple realistic things that should not impact price:

Fold down rear seats
MID that stays in the trip computer screen when you shut off and restart the car. I hate having to push select every time.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would love to see

- Back Up Cameras
- DVD Player in the Nav (even if it costs extra)
- Audio/Video Outlets so u can hook up an IPOD or something of that sort
- Improved HFL
- Powered Adjustable Steering Wheels
- Heating Controls in the back in the ceneter dash
- MP3 Playback
- and most of all.....ADD SOME NICE PEDALS!!!
Old 12-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

In order of preference:

1. Better build quality for the interior. If all the panels lined up, the windows didn't pop, and the doors (or whatever) didn't rattle I'd be a totally happy customer.

2. Better off-center steering wheel feel. They got the steering right in the TSX - why can't they translate that to the TL?

3. Better shading of the guages - I have trouble with glare. Maybe electroluminescent ones.

4. Better elbow rest on driver's right.

5. AWD option would be nice. After suffering with a RWD Lexus through 4 NE winters I only want FWD or AWD for the street from now on.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Cruisin'

I would like to see a phone interface on the NAVI screen. Today when a call comes in they just have the image that shows you where the buttons are on the steering wheel. I want to have a touchscreen interface with the standard numerical keypad, send, and end buttons for example.

This is good for passengers to use in your car who cannot be understood by the car (my wife for example, the TL thinks her 5's are 9' no matter how hard she tries) or for passengers to use your phone so you can focus on driving and not on coordinating pushing the talk buttons and letting them speak. Another example is when you are accessing a prompt system like your voicemail and don't want to go through speaking your passwords or menu choices, having them confirmed by the voice, then clicking again to send them. This could also be used to scroll through the phonebook, things like that. Last 10 received and dialed calls, etc.

I have a calendar and a calculator that I never use in the NAVI. I would definitely use a touchscreen phone interface in above situations.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
A larger displacement engine in a comparable state of tune to the current powerplant. I would like to see 24 more cubic inches. This should result in approximately 300-305 horsepower and around 280 lb/ft of torque.

That would be my wish.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MisterLawyer
Folding rear seats is a big one for me too, but here's one I haven't seen mentioned on here yet:

All the windows and the moonroof should be able to be shut with the keyfob.

Currently, the keyfob can open them, but you have to use the key in the lock to shut them.

Mercedes and BMW allow you to open and shut everything with just the keyfob. Come on Honda! WTF!?!
No they don't. The new 5 series requires closing with the key - in the US. Every other country can close windows from the fob. Don't blame Acura - blame lawyers.

Kill a lawyer - would do more to improve cars in the US than any other capital crime.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Cruisin'

TL improvements

• Instrument cluster gauge lights (speedo, tach, etc) which can be independently adjusted from the dash board buttons (personally I think the cluster gauges are TOO bright,..but if turned all the way down at night,..I can barely see the dash buttons
  • MOVE the MID display into the center of the instrument panel,..and give MORE options on what combination of things to display (MY choice)
  • Seat heater controls which are CONTINUOUSLY adjustable (i.e. Audi) and are NOT positioned in a place where you are accidentally turning them on unknowingly
  • Interior B pillars which are shaped to PREVENT the seatbelt latch from SCTRATCHING the hell out of it.
  • Keyless EVERYTHING !!
  • A height adjustable center arm rest
Old 12-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Advanced

Some improvements that I would like to see in the TL...
  • MP3 player
  • Fold down real seats
  • Better turning radius
  • Better zooms on the Nav. I feel like the only two zooms I'll ever use are the first and second ones. How often am I going to need to see the whole US?

I think that is it for now. I'm really satisfied with 270hp and its handling. If I wanted something faster and something that handles better, I would've bought a sports cars.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:23 AM
black on black on bla....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dpilati
No they don't. The new 5 series requires closing with the key - in the US. Every other country can close windows from the fob. Don't blame Acura - blame lawyers.

Kill a lawyer - would do more to improve cars in the US than any other capital crime.

we can close them with the key 2
Old 12-19-2004, 02:51 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are the engine gauges??

Engine gauges. More than temperature, tach and and fuel gauges that come on the car. Oil pressure and volt meter would be good for starters.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Instructor

washer fluid light.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Team Nighthawk Engineer

I've just had mine over a week, but I would like to see:
AWD (but will require some increase in power for addl weight)
OnStar
Traffic System Option in Nav
MP3 Option, with Plug on Side to feed in your iPod or equivalent
Variable heat on seats
That said, when all of these are added you've probably got an RL (and maybe something close to that price)! At lease the upgrades to the Nave and MP3 options would be a good idea.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

While the exterior is great, I think there are a couple things that would make it a better looking car. This is purely subjective however.

-get rid of the pointy nose up front. would prefer to see the squared off look similar to the bmw sedans.

-decrease the front overhang.

-have a front bumper similar in design to the tsx. would prefer to have the front air dam run continuous instead of being spearated in the middle with the acura lettering.

-integrate separate fog lights into the lower front fascia

These may sound like nitpicks but I think it would make the car look more attractive. On a side note, I saw a new G35 sedan the other day. That car must have one of the nicest side profiles of any car on the road. But my likes for it pretty much stops there.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:19 PM
10th Gear

1) AWD - Coming from a Audi this is a must for me
2) Folding Rear Seats
3) Keyless Entry
4) XM Traffic

My first post and I get my 05 TL this week =)
Old 12-19-2004, 03:33 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I love the car and do not have many changes. The following do come to mind, though, in order of importance in my mind:

* Add the rearview mirror to the driver's seat memory settings

* Honda and Acura speedometers have traditionally made the metric portion very hard to read and have always used 20 km/h intervals. The metric numbers should be a more legible color and should be in 10 km/h intervals.

* Allow the driver to hit a button to switch the MID to metric units for travel outside of the United States. I know the Jaguar S-Type allows this, for example, at least on the odometer.

* Add the MID to the features operated by the voice control in cars with Navi, or alternatively allow duplication of the MID on the Navi screen so as to allow for this (example--so that you can say "Display miles to empty").

* Allow programming of multiple destinations into the Navi in a particular sequence, rather than having to program them individually and select them in turn (this is really a minor idea).

* Alter the Navi slightly so that when you drive on a particular "off-road" area often enough (meaning you frequently drive on a new road not shown on the Navi) it will learn that there is a road there and fill in a line for it so that there won't be dozens of breadcrumbs cluttering the screen. This is very minor as well.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Racer

I'm afaid you'll see SH-AWD reserved for the RL. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect the traffic info integration with the NAVI may also fall into that category. But I think there are a lot of small features that other cars in the TL's class have that are missing and should be there. Things such as:

automatic headlights
power (and memory) tilt and telescopic wheel
gauges that move with the steering wheel
heated steering wheel
RDS on the radio
washer fluid level indicator
automatic folding mirrors

These are all little things that cars in the same, or in many cases lower, class have.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I doubt we'll see the fold down back seats. When I bought my TL last Christmas, the dude specifically told me they didn't do fold down seats because it makes the car less rigid. I actually knew what he meant because I had a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo before that. It's seats folder down and the rear of the car was a mess. Anyway, that's what I was told.

Joe
Old 12-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Instructor

I would be interested in:

an audio system that plays additional formats-- DVD-V & MP3
XM display of more than 12 stations
automatic windshield wipers
automatic traffic re-routing like the RL
internet access, including updates to the maps, places directory
Old 01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
most of the things that you are requesting are in the RL already.....the only thing i wish the TL had was a different KEY FOB...instead of having 2 things for the key i would love to see ONE integrated keyfob
Old 01-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
More butt prints!
Old 01-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bigger gas tank and Glove box
Old 01-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Transistion glass you know like how you can get glasses that basically auto tint according to the amount of sunlight i think that would be good for 3 reasons
1 look good going from clear to tint everybobdy would be like : O
2 safety
3 you would never have to worry about illegal tinting
Old 01-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Team Anthracite Member

The ability to use OD when I want to. I'll take the lower gas mileage as a result.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

-Real Time traffic like the RL.
-Mp3 player plugin
-heated and cooled front seats
-19" wheels
-telescopic steering wheel, like in the 05' G35 coupe
-tire pressure monitor
-rear folding seats
-back up camera
-close all windows and moonroof with key
-intelligent key w/ push button start
Old 01-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Advanced

In no particular order...

-AWD
-Aux inputs for Ipod, etc.
-Lock/Unlock feature on the key as oppose to a separate piece...this is ridiculous all the luxury cars have it Audi, Lexus, BMW, MB, etc.

When I first got my keys to my Acura I was like, "Are you kidding me...did I just buy a Civic or something?". I heard the new Accords have this...so do the '05 TL's have this? If not this is ridiculous...sorry I used to have an Audi and thought the folding key was awesome.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
A larger displacement engine in a comparable state of tune to the current powerplant. I would like to see 24 more cubic inches. This should result in approximately 300-305 horsepower and around 280 lb/ft of torque.

That would be my wish.
Exactly, price could remain about the same as well. Car needs another 40HP.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Advanced

I know everyone under the sun has bitched about the tires, and I had not experienced a vibration issue from mine, but they are really substandard in the rain (hydroplane easily minute standing water) and snow, I can't wait until these things wear out, so I can get something else.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:05 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
can't believe no one else has asked for the option to remove the DIAL CONFIRMATION on the HFL...
Old 01-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Racer

Let me sum this one up... everything the Maybach has for about $30,000. Right?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Everything we currently have, at the same level of quality, for $28,000.00. If Acura keeps the current price then AWD, or Hybrid engine should be standard. (of course with same or greater hp and torque numbers)
Old 01-13-2005, 11:51 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no rattle first, then talk about some other stuffs...
Old 01-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mio
no rattle first, then talk about some other stuffs...
Sorry to hear that, but very recommendable.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Advanced

One thing that really pisses me off is that the doors dont automatically unlock when you go to get out of the car. In audi's and bimmers the doors will unlock as you go to open the door, it is really annoying.

Quick Reply: What would you like to see in future TLs?