3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What To Service @ 37,000 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What To Service @ 37,000 Miles?

Need some advice to avoid the dealer service pitfall of the "SPECIAL SERVICE DEALS" that my Acura dealer wants to sell me whenever I go for service. I have an '04 TL w/ 37k miles. I have been religious about oil and filter changes every 5k or less and have had the brakes and rotors replaced once under warranty due to excessive noise (the sqeaking persists...). I have also replaced the Bridgestone stock tires w/ Toyo Proxes. I'm not necessarily a rotator...I usually replace when tires wear--small cost for safety.

I called to schedule service and they told me "this is a big one" and I said, "No, I want an oil and filter change"...then of course came the implications that I am somehow neglecting my car (never!!) by not having paid them big bucks for a 30,000 service. ADVICE? SUGGESTIONS? Air filter, brake fluid? Thanks everyone! p.s. I did check the maintenance journal but didn't find it overly helpful.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

I have an 04TL with 41k miles. Aside from engine oil changes and tires, I had the MT oil changed about 5k ago. The only other thing I'm thinking of doing right now is changing the pollen filter. Otherwise, this car isn't supposed to need a tune up before 100k, so I'm not buying the 30k mega service BS.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:49 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
yea, there is no predetermined mileage service (15k, 30k, etc.). first, you need to check your service records to make sure what is below hasn't been done, but off the top of my head, you should be getting or have done:

-engine air intake filter
-cabin filter
-change brake fluid (every 3 years according to manual)
-power steering fluid (every 3 years yada yada)
-i would change the coolant even though its supposed to last longer as preventitive maintence
-is this a 5AT? i would also highly recommend changing the automatic trans fluid and do this a lot more regularly than the recommended interval since these trannys have a bad track record from the 2gen TL's
-i'm probably forgetting something but above is the major stuff

this is gonna be expensive and a total ripoff at the dealer. go to an independent honda/acura shop imo. all acuras just use honda fluids anyway.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info!!! I definitely feel better prepared...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
most of that you can do at home and save big money
Buy better parts than the dealer and know your car was done right
At the least take it to an indepdant shop for better service and rates

What does your manual call for and your driving regular schedule or severe
Old 01-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by wasupdog

-cabin filter
-i would change the coolant even though its supposed to last longer as preventitive maintence
-is this a 5AT? i would also highly recommend changing the automatic trans fluid and do this a lot more regularly than the recommended interval since these trannys have a bad track record from the 2gen TL's

this is gonna be expensive and a total ripoff at the dealer. go to an independent honda/acura shop imo. all acuras just use honda fluids anyway.
Rotate tires as well, check rotors and brakes for uneven wear. Aslo if you suffer from warped rotors, i'd suggest either getting better rotors that are vented, slotted and crossdrilled or getting a BBK from rotora. Excelerate sells the rotors and BBK's
Old 02-01-2007, 12:55 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wasupdog
yea, there is no predetermined mileage service (15k, 30k, etc.). first, you need to check your service records to make sure what is below hasn't been done, but off the top of my head, you should be getting or have done:

-cabin filter

stuff u can do yourself easily with some tools and diy's on this website in the "3G Garage" = air intake filter/cabin filter/automatic trans fluid/oil change/rotate tires. the brake fluid and coolant i think you might need a flush so go to an independent shop cus they have flushing machines.

the coolant is actually rated to last 60k miles. i would go ahead and change it anyway for preventative maintenance plus peace of mind if u are planning on keeping the car a long time.

yea, there's other stuff too like "inspection" of bolts, belts, etc. i really dunno how useful this is since the bolts from the factory are torqued by gorillas but if u look at the service manual that came with the car it lists the stuff.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

I changed out my coolant, it was free, and the air filter/pollen filter were in poor condition at 38k. Oil and filter. And I'd check ur front brakes if you're rollin in the 6MT.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by j9sstar
ADVICE? SUGGESTIONS?
Three things:

1) Follow the MID.
2) Go to the stealership service department ONLY for warranty work.
3) Find an honest private shop for routine maintenance and repairs. They exist, it's just a matter of asking around. I've been going to the same shop for 20 years even though it's 55 miles from my house. If the car is undriveable, I use AAA Plus to get it towed there.

I figure that by following items 2 and 3, I've saved at least $10,000 over the years.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:04 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckDu
Three things:

1) Follow the MID.
2) Go to the stealership service department ONLY for warranty work.
3) Find an honest private shop for routine maintenance and repairs. They exist, it's just a matter of asking around. I've been going to the same shop for 20 years even though it's 55 miles from my house. If the car is undriveable, I use AAA Plus to get it towed there.

I figure that by following items 2 and 3, I've saved at least $10,000 over the years.

Best advice anyone could give.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Intermediate

I can't thank you all enough. I am so glad to have come across this website "community" right after I bought my TL. You have all been full of great advice and ideas. Great people with great cars....