Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to pay for USED TL-S??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
What to pay for USED TL-S??

I'm looking at buying a "new" to me daily driver. I almost bought a TL-S new a year ago. At the height of the incentives, I got quoted down to $31,500 for a lease. not bad! I ended up buying a Porsche Boxster (used) as a fun/toy car and fixed up my existing daily driver and limped it along another year..... the DD now has more "issues" that require more $$ and I'm tired of dumping money into repairs, and woudl rather just make a car payment...

so, I have a nice little fun car for tearing up twisties on the weekend...but want something that is a good DD for back/forth to work and for errands.

I really like the 335 - it is really fast and as RWD it outhandles the TL-S. but I really like the TL-S too. I have seen quite a few TL-S used at dealers, certified, but they are asking in the range of 29-31k for them. which to me is a joke, considering I coudl have bought one for that much NEW a year ago...which makes me think these prices are a joke - and just way high ask prices.

i have priced used 335s as well - and I've seen a LOT of them for 30-31k. not beaters either. Certified cars at reputable dealers for 30k. nicely optioned. the TL-S is loaded, wherease the 335s in the 30k range lack nav, but they all have sport packages, the paddle shifters, nice wheels...etc etc.

if I have to pay 30k for a TL-S or 30k for a used 335, I can guy a $250 garmin and have nav.... for "driving" I'd rather have the 335.

but i KNOW the BMW guys are not going to discount any 335 down into the low 20s. I kinda wonder if I pusehd - if maybe I can get one of these used TL-S' down into the low 20s.

if the choice was between paying 23k for a TL-S and 32k for the used 335, I'd go TL-S. it's plenty good for a DD, plenty fun to drive. probably more reliable and cheaper to fix in the long run - as there will inevitably be stuff to fix/repair that won't be covered under the certified warranty...i know how those warranties go. they cover the big ticket stuff like engines, trannies..but they don't coer a lot of the small items that do wear out or go bad.

basically, as the price becomes more or less the same - i'd rather get the more powerful, more torquey 335. but if I can save a big enough pile of money - i'd be plenty happy to drive a TL-S.

any of you care to speculate or offer realistic assesments of what I could expect to really pay for an 07 TL-S from a dealer/certified? figure average mileage = 20-35k on teh car max. not a high mileage beater or a "like new" car that has ultra low miles they wnat a premium for...

most of the ones i've seen are in the 20-35k miles range but they seem to want too much for them... the BMWs have come down a LOT in price, wherease the TLs seem to still want close to what they were asking a year ago... makes no sense
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't really compare a new car price with all the incentives with an used car. Last year I believe there was a $2500 or more acura incentive to the dealer so the price were really low. If you were to get a brand new 08 TL-S for $31,500 you probably made a record, that's 8000 below MSRP.

I was kind of in the same boat just a couple of months ago looking at used 08 TL-S vs. left over 08 335. They were selling the leftover 335's for $40,500, which included auto, premium and sport packages. However, the 08 335's did not qualify for the BMW incentives, which included 2.9% financing, $1000 BMW loyalty cash (I had a 06 at the time), and 2 free payments. In the end the 08 is only about $20 a month cheaper than the LCI 09's. I decided that it didn't make sense and I didn't want to spent another 10k so I went with a TL-S with a little over 10k miles I had in mind.

One problem I had was finding a TL-S with the right mileage and color I wanted. There was only a few of TL-S for sale within 100 miles. In the end I paid about $30k for the 08 that had 11k miles, extended warranty, 3M protection package and Lojack already installed, considering the fair trade in value of my car. If you were to get one without the extras or higher miles you'll most likely pay less, but I don't see you getting 08's for 23k. A high mileage 07 probably.

335 has a long standing HPFP problem BMW that hasn't fixed after 2 years. So if you plan to keep it longer than the warranty period you might want to re-consider especially if you are buying it used.

my 2c.

Last edited by Cerezo; 05-17-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Drifting

i have found a couple nice TL-S that are 2007 models in the 26-27k range. one is CBP and only has 22k miles. all are certified.

if i coudl get them down to about 25k i'd be VERY tempted. it's not as high performance as the 335 - but it is a really nice car. i test drove several TL-S and I really liked it. it just felt nice. not "super" fast.... i mean you can chip a 335 and make it a 12 second car that will run with a new M3.... for a $1000 mod... amazing. but if it breaks.. i'm sure BMW will hose the warranty and I'd hate to see the repair bill on that. i have a Porsche for fun. it's an older one, but still a LOT of fun, and neither the TL-S OR the 335 can come ever CLOSE to the handling/sportienss of a boxster. so my goal is nice luxurious "sporty" DD transportation.

the TL-S is more "bang" for the buck. you don't need to sell me on the car.

my question is how cheap can I get one.

is there really any difference between an 07 and an 08 vs miles? any issues with 07s that got fixed on 08s or are they the same.

if I can find an 07 with 22k miles, i'd rather get that for less than an 08 with the same - as i'd likely get a cheaper price ont he 07 simply b/c it's one model year older...
Old 05-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
You know the TL-S outhandled the M3 & M5 at Willow Springs right?Besides you don't want to be one of those guys who typically drives a 335.. cough:abercrombiebitch:ahem.. Basically you're gonna get a lot of bang for your buck on a TL-S plus the TL is reliable besides having some minor issues. Twin turbo Bleed My Wallet may have you pouring water into a broken glass like your current DD down the road.

A member here scored their 07 TL-S for $22.9k not salvaged.. I think another member scored theirs for $24k recently.. so you may find a good deal on one.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A used TL-S go anywhere from 26-30k

At least that's what I see listed around my area..Im sure u can talk them down a couple grand.

Good luck find a TL-S!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I got my 2007 tl-s with 35k miles for $23k.

You can also check out this thread for more prices https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/how-much-did-you-get-your-tl-640522/
Old 05-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
You cant compare a garmin nav to a OEM navigation system. Sure the garmin will get you where your going but there is WAY more involved with the factory nav systems. Plus interiors look soooooo much better with the OEM nav. Here around Chicago there are always plenty of TL-S's for sale I see them going anywhere from high 26's to 30

James
Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 PM

James is your DD a 97 Z28? Check out the Blackmarket for Aziner's rides for sale, it's in the off-topic section.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Drifting

wow. 23k is a GREAT deal.

Here is what I found locally.

two dealers - one is literally 5 min from me, the other is about 45 min away.

2007 WDP TL-S. Taupe. 32k miles. Asking $31k.
2007 CBP TL-S. Taupe. 22k miles. Asking $27k.

Both cars are automatics which is what I want.

I suspect the dealer selling the WDP with 32k miles would likely drop their price to meet and probably beat the other dealer but HOW much is the question.

if I coudl get either of these cars in the 23-24k range I'd bite.

not sure which one i would want.

I like the WDP better, but I like the 22k miles on the CBP.

I think the WDP looks sharp. tint the windows dark and it looks good! although - the CPD color matches the wheels almost perfectly - and that looks neat - the whole car hasa nice monochromatic look that is very classy.

decisions decisions...
Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Instructor

CBP was the only other color i was considering as well (i got WDP). It's an unique color. Let us know what you end up with!

As for the nav, acura nav is arguably the best. It's VERY easy to use and intuitive.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Former Street Racer

just got my tl-s a couple of weeks ago with 24k for 26,500. theres alot in my area around for the same price
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
James is your DD a 97 Z28? Check out the Blackmarket for Aziner's rides for sale, it's in the off-topic section.
It used to be many years ago. Since then I have owned a 99 hardtop vette, 03 Z06 vette, 05 C6 vette, Jeep SRT8. I just never bothered changing my username since its the same for all websites.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
A Happily Modded TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i paid 34k for my 08 TL-S, and that was a great deal...(got it with the aspec lip kit and all season mats). Sticker was i believe 39k and the lip kit was anothe 1k or so...so i felt and still feel like i got a great deal. You should realize that Honda's hold their value very well, and i would expect 08's to be in the 26k - 31k price range depending in miles. I've only got 6k miles on the odo, so i'd say i'm in the upper bracket of the price range at this point. Unless you find a high mileage TL-S, i do not think you'll find an S in the low 20's, if you do, you might want to make sure something isn't wrong with it.

Either way, its a great car, the 335's are nice too, but more expensive to maintain and will be much less equipped than the fully loaded TL-S.

just my 2 cents.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
10th Gear

I paid 25K even w/ warranty for a Beige/Beige Acura TL 07...
Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
24 to 25k with about 24k on the odo before taxes and fees is what I would pay for an 07 TLS. Best way to determine the right price is get auction pricing.. that's bottom line number dealers will sell it for, nothign lower.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Find one that was repo!

should be cheaper! hopefully nothing wrong with it too, just couldnt make payments..

Good luck finding one for under 25 with 30k+ miles..thats ganan be pretty hard

Last edited by JwongTLS; 05-18-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 23109VC
I'm looking at buying a "new" to me daily driver. I almost bought a TL-S new a year ago. At the height of the incentives, I got quoted down to $31,500 for a lease. not bad! I ended up buying a Porsche Boxster (used) as a fun/toy car and fixed up my existing daily driver and limped it along another year..... the DD now has more "issues" that require more $$ and I'm tired of dumping money into repairs, and woudl rather just make a car payment...

so, I have a nice little fun car for tearing up twisties on the weekend...but want something that is a good DD for back/forth to work and for errands.

I really like the 335 - it is really fast and as RWD it outhandles the TL-S. but I really like the TL-S too. I have seen quite a few TL-S used at dealers, certified, but they are asking in the range of 29-31k for them. which to me is a joke, considering I coudl have bought one for that much NEW a year ago...which makes me think these prices are a joke - and just way high ask prices.

i have priced used 335s as well - and I've seen a LOT of them for 30-31k. not beaters either. Certified cars at reputable dealers for 30k. nicely optioned. the TL-S is loaded, wherease the 335s in the 30k range lack nav, but they all have sport packages, the paddle shifters, nice wheels...etc etc.

if I have to pay 30k for a TL-S or 30k for a used 335, I can guy a $250 garmin and have nav.... for "driving" I'd rather have the 335.

but i KNOW the BMW guys are not going to discount any 335 down into the low 20s. I kinda wonder if I pusehd - if maybe I can get one of these used TL-S' down into the low 20s.

if the choice was between paying 23k for a TL-S and 32k for the used 335, I'd go TL-S. it's plenty good for a DD, plenty fun to drive. probably more reliable and cheaper to fix in the long run - as there will inevitably be stuff to fix/repair that won't be covered under the certified warranty...i know how those warranties go. they cover the big ticket stuff like engines, trannies..but they don't coer a lot of the small items that do wear out or go bad.

basically, as the price becomes more or less the same - i'd rather get the more powerful, more torquey 335. but if I can save a big enough pile of money - i'd be plenty happy to drive a TL-S.

any of you care to speculate or offer realistic assesments of what I could expect to really pay for an 07 TL-S from a dealer/certified? figure average mileage = 20-35k on teh car max. not a high mileage beater or a "like new" car that has ultra low miles they wnat a premium for...

most of the ones i've seen are in the 20-35k miles range but they seem to want too much for them... the BMWs have come down a LOT in price, wherease the TLs seem to still want close to what they were asking a year ago... makes no sense
I work at an Acura Dealer...in fact, one of the largest in the country (top 5 dealer). I am in sales...so let me break it down for you...

$30k mark is most definetly NOT ridiculous to ask for a CERTIFIED TL-S....Certification alone makes it worth it. In most cases you will get MORE WARRANTY out of a Certified aka CPO than a brand new one. You also get extended roadside assistance, full 150 point inspection, all services must be done, tires/brakes/filters/all wearables must be to spec or replaced, car has to have a clean accident history (no frame/structure damage or metal work).

With that said...you are talking about a car that retailed for $39k. If you couldve gotten a new one for $31.5k last year, you shouldve. Lowest I ever, EVER sold one, was $33,500. That was the last one, which I sold in fall of 2008.

As someone stated earlier, there was a $2500 manufacturer to dealer incentive aka dealer cash. Invoice on the car is about 36k, after cash, we owned them for 33,500....so you passed up a dealer taking a $2000 loss to sell you a PHENOMINAL car.

Please don't take this as flaming, its meant to be educational. Do some research on edmunds, which is a neutrel site....where you will see CPO value as high as the mid $30,000s on 08 TL-S'!!

If you can get one for 26's CERTIFIED....jump all over that! Thats a great deal!

As far as the 335i....just remember...Acura has virtually no maintanance costs...the bmw oil changes are $120 alone. If money is no object, sure go for it. But I have had crying women begging me to take their BMW's cuz they are nightmares....electrically, budget wise, and reliablity wise...Some swear by it, but you'd be rolling the dice.

You'd be anomaly if these sorts of things happened to you in an Acura!

Your choice...hope I helped somewhat.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ackin-4Life
I work at an Acura Dealer...in fact, one of the largest in the country (top 5 dealer). I am in sales...so let me break it down for you...

$30k mark is most definetly NOT ridiculous to ask for a CERTIFIED TL-S....Certification alone makes it worth it. In most cases you will get MORE WARRANTY out of a Certified aka CPO than a brand new one. You also get extended roadside assistance, full 150 point inspection, all services must be done, tires/brakes/filters/all wearables must be to spec or replaced, car has to have a clean accident history (no frame/structure damage or metal work).

With that said...you are talking about a car that retailed for $39k. If you couldve gotten a new one for $31.5k last year, you shouldve. Lowest I ever, EVER sold one, was $33,500. That was the last one, which I sold in fall of 2008.

As someone stated earlier, there was a $2500 manufacturer to dealer incentive aka dealer cash. Invoice on the car is about 36k, after cash, we owned them for 33,500....so you passed up a dealer taking a $2000 loss to sell you a PHENOMINAL car.

Please don't take this as flaming, its meant to be educational. Do some research on edmunds, which is a neutrel site....where you will see CPO value as high as the mid $30,000s on 08 TL-S'!!

If you can get one for 26's CERTIFIED....jump all over that! Thats a great deal!

As far as the 335i....just remember...Acura has virtually no maintanance costs...the bmw oil changes are $120 alone. If money is no object, sure go for it. But I have had crying women begging me to take their BMW's cuz they are nightmares....electrically, budget wise, and reliablity wise...Some swear by it, but you'd be rolling the dice.

Your too late buddy.. he bought an 07 NBP Camel TL for 24k..
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 PM
GR8TL

I got mine 3 weeks ago WDP 2008 TL-S for $26,500 and it had 27,000 miles it also came with the complete body kit wich is the reason why I jumped on it before it was gone!!!!
Hope I got a good price............
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vini
I got mine 3 weeks ago WDP 2008 TL-S for $26,500 and it had 27,000 miles it also came with the complete body kit wich is the reason why I jumped on it before it was gone!!!!
Hope I got a good price............
That's a good price for an '08 TL-S.. that's crazy mileage though.. I'm guessing the original owner bought it in '07...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 PM
GR8TL

How do you consider 27K miles crazy? The original owner had it for almost two years the average is 12k!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Just traded my 07 TL-Type-S (got 24k) had 26k miles,for a new BMW 335i with all options except cold weather package for $38,500. Loved my TL, great ride, just wanted to go back to rear wheel drive. ALso there is free maintenance, covers everything except tires for 4 years 50k miles. Still think for the money the TL-Type-S is hard to beat, not real crazy about the 09 body style, guess because have owned 2 TL's 06 and 08.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vini
How do you consider 27K miles crazy? The original owner had it for almost two years the average is 12k!!!!!!!!!!
You a little exclamation point happy there Vini?!?!?!?! a bit sensitive?

how am I supposed to know the original owner had it for 2 years?.. My dealership had new '08's a couple months ago. I assumed the original owner had it for two years at that mileage.. go back and read my post... your TL-S has the same mileage that many people have on an '07 TL.. get my point.

Originally Posted by Majofo
That's a good price for an '08 TL-S.. that's crazy mileage though.. I'm guessing the original owner bought it in '07...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Drifting

ATL-

i like your garage. My "toy" is a boxster. similar in "fun factor" to your Cayman. I love the Cayman looks, but I wanted a convertible.

how do you like the 335 vs the TL? adda chip to your 335 and you will be FLYING! youtube for vishnu 335 and see what a chipped 335 will do. unbelievable.

i'm thinking 25-26k is the target to shoot for if i get a TL-S. 2007 model, with 20-30k miles on it.

as to the "dealer" guiy who posted above - I DID have a dealer offer me a TL-S at 31,500. I had two others at $32,000. They were all in SoCal. Cerritos and Tustin were the two I was dealing with the most. The guys at Tustin were nice, the sales people at Cerritos were a bunch of two faced lying scammers. I do think they were losing money, one flat out said he was losing money on the car but wanted to move it. I believed them, but in the end, it wasn't meant to be. I wound up putting minimal money into my DD, limping it along another year, and used the money I saved to get into my boxster

i still think a 335 woudl be a cool car, but i'm also price conscious. I want a fun/sport car, but i also want to get a good deal and a lot of value. the 335 is a great performing car, but it's going to cost more than a TL-S. not sure i want to fork over the extra money for the extra perforamnce, given that I have a fun/high performance car in the garage.

if i only had ONE car, i'd skip both the TL and 335 and get an RS4 or M3 sedan!!! but i like having one car for commuting and one car for fun. no car really does it all...been there done that, and it's better to have two. more purpose specific is better than a jack of all trades. no uber sedan is going to hang with my boxste,r or ATLs Cayman on the backroads - NO frickin way. sorry.

Originally Posted by ATL06
Just traded my 07 TL-Type-S (got 24k) had 26k miles,for a new BMW 335i with all options except cold weather package for $38,500. Loved my TL, great ride, just wanted to go back to rear wheel drive. ALso there is free maintenance, covers everything except tires for 4 years 50k miles. Still think for the money the TL-Type-S is hard to beat, not real crazy about the 09 body style, guess because have owned 2 TL's 06 and 08.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Advanced

i'm thinking 25-26k is the target to shoot for if i get a TL-S. 2007 model, with 20-30k miles on it.

That target is spot on, mine sold in two days for $25,500, with 26k miles. Keep looking, it's worth the wait, also think Type-S 07 and 08 will have a high demand, looking at the 09, just my opinion.
Good luck I had the CBP color. You might check out http://www.planetporsche.net great forum for your Porsche. Getting a TL and your Porsche, have the best of both worlds.
Tom

Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Instructor

ATL-

no uber sedan is going to hang with my boxste,r or ATLs Cayman on the backroads - NO frickin way. sorry.
As a manner of fact, a stock 335 will probably out run the cayman, straight or in the twisties. On the other hand, Cayman is still a better handling car due to its size.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

ATL-

as to the "dealer" guiy who posted above - I DID have a dealer offer me a TL-S at 31,500. I had two others at $32,000. They were all in SoCal. Cerritos and Tustin were the two I was dealing with the most. The guys at Tustin were nice, the sales people at Cerritos were a bunch of two faced lying scammers. I do think they were losing money, one flat out said he was losing money on the car but wanted to move it. I believed them, but in the end, it wasn't meant to be. I wound up putting minimal money into my DD, limping it along another year, and used the money I saved to get into my boxster
I am not doubting you had that deal at all...I am familiar w/ Ceritos. Often when new body styles come in, most dealers are willing to take losses to move "lame ducks". IMO, i would much rather have the 08 TLS than the new TL....minus the fact the technology in the 09 TL Tech/AWD is SICK...put the navi from 09, rather the whole tech package in the 08 TL and now were talking!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cerezo
As a manner of fact, a stock 335 will probably out run the cayman, straight or in the twisties. On the other hand, Cayman is still a better handling car due to its size.
a 335 will very likely outrun a Cayman or a Boxster in a drag. You can mod the 335 to insane power levels with a simple ECU flash.

the twisties?? you think a 335 sedan will outrun a midengined, sub-3000 lb sports car on a tight twisty road? You've obviously NEVER driven a midengined Porsche or you wouldn't say something so obviously wrong. Drive one and you will see what I am talking about.

okay - no more hijacking my own thread...

I'm still looking. one dealer that is NOT a Acura dealer took one in trade. it is a 2007 with only 4k miles. yes only 4k miles. BUT when I asked them WHEN it went into service/was titled...they sayhd November of 2006!! I was thinking it must have been a leftover bouth in 2008 b/c hte miles were so low....

how do you buy a car 2.5 years ago and only put 4k miles on it. it's not like TL's are "weekend" cars.... my guess is it ws wrecked and sat in a body shop lot and they finally got around to fixing it.... no thanks.

i'd rather have a 2007 with 15-20k miles...and get it from Acura and know it's certified.

of course the sales guy tried to tell me how "overrated" the certification process is and that they never really check anything or change fluids..blah blah blah.

out of curiosity - what do you think about hte certification process on the Acuras. do they "really" do all that work or you think some dealers cut corners and not check/do stuff they should?

I know if it's certified you get another year of full warranty coverage and then 7yrs / 100k on the powertrain. i feel that's peace of mind. you likely won't need it as it's an Acura...but you have peace of mind.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 AM

a 335 will very likely outrun a Cayman or a Boxster in a drag. You can mod the 335 to insane power levels with a simple ECU flash.

the twisties?? you think a 335 sedan will outrun a midengined, sub-3000 lb sports car on a tight twisty road? You've obviously NEVER driven a midengined Porsche or you wouldn't say something so obviously wrong. Drive one and you will see what I am talking about.

okay - no more hijacking my own thread...

I'm still looking. one dealer that is NOT a Acura dealer took one in trade. it is a 2007 with only 4k miles. yes only 4k miles. BUT when I asked them WHEN it went into service/was titled...they sayhd November of 2006!! I was thinking it must have been a leftover bouth in 2008 b/c hte miles were so low....

how do you buy a car 2.5 years ago and only put 4k miles on it. it's not like TL's are "weekend" cars.... my guess is it ws wrecked and sat in a body shop lot and they finally got around to fixing it.... no thanks.

i'd rather have a 2007 with 15-20k miles...and get it from Acura and know it's certified.

of course the sales guy tried to tell me how "overrated" the certification process is and that they never really check anything or change fluids..blah blah blah.

out of curiosity - what do you think about hte certification process on the Acuras. do they "really" do all that work or you think some dealers cut corners and not check/do stuff they should?

I know if it's certified you get another year of full warranty coverage and then 7yrs / 100k on the powertrain. i feel that's peace of mind. you likely won't need it as it's an Acura...but you have peace of mind.
The sales guy is right in many aspects.. Acura has sold cars CPO that had been in severe accidents whether they knew or not.. Acura will offer you an extended warranty for almost any car that is less than 4 yrs old and under 50k miles. Contact your local Acura dealerships and tell them you acquired an 07 TL with 4k miles and you're interested in getting an extended warranty from American Honda and see what they say.. I wouldn't trust any warranty other than American Honda.. there are some okay ext. contract companies but very few and none with an untarnished rep.

I don't know the details of the car & dealership but make sure you have it thoroughly inspected by Acura or an indie shop to verify it wasn't in an accident and that everything is in order. Otherwise you might as well bank on added repair costs whether it's in warranty or not.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Racer

"if i only had ONE car, i'd skip both the TL and 335 and get an RS4 or M3 sedan!!!"

Apples, oranges and......peanuts?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Instructor

I came from a E90 so I am biased more or less. You are right that I've never driven a porsche, but you should try a 335 first; you may be surprised. It's not as nimble as a boxter but it's capable. Most people regret test driving it... because they end up with one.

For a relatively new car, I wouldn't worry too much about the "certification" process. You can buy extended warranty for a little over 1k.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Scuba_Steve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If ur really that worried about handling, u should have just bought a lotus!
But if you have the porsche, then don't worry about the rwd and handling in the 330! Whats the point of having two rwd handling coupes? If u already have one, then get the TL which is much more practical and still pretty quick and sporty!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ackin-4Life

I bought my TL-S brand new, 2 miles on the odometer for $32,000 so OP prices is not off when the incentives were being offered. I wouldn't pay more than 25-27k for a used one.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EcKoHeD72
If ur really that worried about handling, u should have just bought a lotus!
But if you have the porsche, then don't worry about the rwd and handling in the 330! Whats the point of having two rwd handling coupes? If u already have one, then get the TL which is much more practical and still pretty quick and sporty!

you are exactly right, and that is what I keep telling myself. I have the Boxster, so who cares if my DD is "hardcore". The problem is that is a slippery slope thought process. If I totally don't care what I drive as my DD, then why not just buy a used 4 cylinder accord/camry??? I don't think I could handle driving something so boring. My current DD is an old boxy volvo - super boring. I used to have a 2004 S60R that was MAJORLY modded... I outran E46 M3s in it.. but I sold it, and bought the wife a late model MDX, and I took HER POS Volvo boxy crap car as my DD. I tolerated it for as long as I could and then got the Boxster for fun. now my DD (her old car) is failing and needs to be replaced. i could probably put another couple thousand bucks into it and limp it along another year, but with the high miles it has, and it's value being so LOW, I don't want to invest anything substantial in it... it's not worth it.

the TL-S would be reliable, good looking, and reasonably sporty for a DD. Heck, so woudl a new TSX 4 banger...but the TL-S has just enough "sport" to it that I think I would enjoy driving it. I don't have to have an RS4/M5 as my Daily driver - but I also don't want a camry/accord.

i'm one of those people who actually derive pleasure from what I drive, and I look forward to being behind the wheel of my car. I don't read sports illustraed, I read C&D, Motor Trend, and when I surf the web, I browse car forums.. I LOVE cars. When I"m 85 years old, and using a walker, I'll be driving whatever is fast/expensive/fun.

i've modified almost every car i've ever driven. whether it was doing the Jackson racing intake/header/exhaust/full suspension on my miata, to the suspension upgrdes o nmy old Prelude, or porting the rotary motor on my old RX7.... everythign gets modded. i've had my boxster 6 months and I've already added exhaust,a nd done some cosmetic/paint upgrades, and a short shifter.

i really want to get a DD that I can be happy with stock - because now that I have the boxster - any money i put into "mods" is going on the boxster. so I don't plan to add any mods to it - and I don't want to get a car that keeps screaming "mod me". I think a TSX would do that as the suspension would e too soft. Heck, even the TL-S I'd probaby WANT to lower it, but I could probably just be happy with it as-is given it's fairly stiff/nicely tuned from the factory.

this car will double as a daily driver for me to/from work AND as a spare family car that we can take when we don't need to use the MDX. the MDX is a lease and I don't want to always take it and then go over mymileage...
Old 05-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Racer

The 335xi coupe is the best car if you want a perfect combination of looks, performance and economics. There really is only one car that can compare on the market today, and that is the Audi S5.

My brother has a 335xi coupe. With his 18 inch nokians it handles the snow better than some SUV's. Not to mention it can easily be made faster than an m3, S5, etc. Switch your snows off with some performance summers and you have yourself a beautiful summer car.