3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts are needed for 5spdAT to 6spdMT

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was 16, I was shining shoes in a barbershop, and cleaning the floors on weekends so I could buy my first car, a 1961 Comet. At 18, I was full time in college, and working full time (1-9pm shift) at a grocery store so I could buy my first new car....a Pinto.
Some of us old timers are proud of what we could buy, and were satisfied with it.
The rest of our attention was turned to education, and things a little more important.
On to topic, there isn't any left.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
Originally Posted by 94eg!
Complete Transmission w/ sensors & half-shaft
Right & left drive-shafts
Clutch
Flywheel
Slave cylinder
Master cylinder
Fluid Lines
Brake & Clutch pedal assembly
Shifter Cables
Shifter Assembly w/ boot & knob
6-speed ECU
OEM shop manual for wiring of reverse lock-out etc...

The whole thing would be quite simple with wrecked 6MT to pull parts from. A good source for parts would probably be ImportAutoSalvage.com (ask for Larry Jr.). Other than that, all you need is the OEM shop manual ($70 from Helminc.com) and a lot of patience. It's gonna be very important to check ALL wiring differences between 6MT and 5AT ECUs, but usually it's only the transmission related stuff that is any different. Also there is probably a 5AT gear indicator on the gauge cluster, but you don't have to worry about that.

There really isn't anything to be scared of just because it's an "expensive" car (that some like to think is "special"). Underneath it all, all cars are pretty much the same. And the more electronics they pack into them, the easier they are to work on...
You're joking, right?......
Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
Old cars HP ratings are significantly different than the ratings back in the day. 258hp on the new SAE ratings is probably more than quite a few of the "muscle" cars had.

In any case, giving a kid a GTO back in the day wasn't any more intelligent than giving a kid a high powered sedan today.

HP rating then or now doesnt matter. Its just a different rating. The TL before the new SAE rating was higher.

And thats the point. Many make it sound like its something new.

Oh and they were faster. They were cheap to mod and make faster, didnt take much $ (alot less than the price of a SC) to allow the car to run in the 12s. Not to mention the torque, rwd, biased ply tires and suspension made them far more trouble to handle .

oh and the Buick GSX in 1970 ran high 13s stock, The chevelle454ss ran low 13's stock. Both of which produced more torque at 1k rpm than the TL produces peak HP.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:53 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In any case, giving a kid a GTO back in the day wasn't any more intelligent than giving a kid a high powered sedan today.
Forget tests and how they measure hp ratings now and before! The newspaper clippings support this statement, as do the news broadcasts!! That is not to say that older folk don't wind up there, but at least they had a chance to "mature" behind the wheel...they just chose not to.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
yea. definitely is. kids will always get nice and fast cars as some families can afford it. and many kids die every year from wrecklessness, and alot of them grow up to be a gear-heads and work on cars there whole life. all that matters, is that the kid is responsible...but

ANYWAYS

dude. im not 100% sure about 07, but lets talk about 06 TLs 5AT & 6MT

you will also need a new dash/gauges. new center console parts...all the tranny stuff & pedals... so now your at...hmm....$4k ?? So you succesfully do it..... but guess what , the 6MT also comes with the brembo set up... which in parts costs $2k+ alone. the 6MT also has as slightly thicker RSB.... .

so it would literally take atleast $6k out of your pocket to do the swap. screw it... trade it in!!! people who did swaps on the 2G TL had NO CHOICE. they loved their car, but it didnt come in 6SPD. you have the option to trade it in for a 6MT. if you got the $$, which you must, just do the trade!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Mofo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcbtony
I want to do a tranny swap on my 07 TL, anyone know what parts i need and how much approx. it will cost?
1 grip on reality
3 swift kicks in the @ss

I think that should do it...
Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Whatever it cost you end up with a frankencar that will have little resale value.

This would be a very bad decision even if you have the skill, time and (big) money.

I don't know what it would cost. I do know that many say it ain't worth doing.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
you will also need a new dash/gauges. new center console parts...
You don't need a new cluster, you simply remove the bulbs from the gear indicator on the 5AT cluster. Everything else is the same...

Also, you don't need any console parts. You can simply swap the shifter assembly, boot, and trim ring over and it will all fit perfectly...

And the OP never mentioned anything about the Brembo conversion or the rear sway-bar. Besides, Stoptech makes the perfect big-brake kit for the 5AT anyways... :thumbup:
Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what you need:

Lots of

and

But I wish you the best of luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
You guys do realize that a brand new 6MT (20011-RDE-C62) directly from Acura can be had for only $3500 right. I would be willing to bet you could get the entire changeover from a place like ImportAutoSalvage for that price (and they will make sure it's complete). Then turn around and sell the 5AT, torque converter, axles, etc and get at least half your money back or more...

Don't be such pussies! This shit isn't that hard. If you can change a clutch/flywheel, solder well and read electrical diagrams, you can do the swap over a weekend. It just requires the patience to get all the kinks (like wiring and clutch pedal mounting) worked/planned out WAY ahead of time.

I do agree that it takes balls...
Old 06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Oh and they were faster. They were cheap to mod and make faster, didnt take much $ (alot less than the price of a SC) to allow the car to run in the 12s. Not to mention the torque, rwd, biased ply tires and suspension made them far more trouble to handle .

oh and the Buick GSX in 1970 ran high 13s stock, The chevelle454ss ran low 13's stock. Both of which produced more torque at 1k rpm than the TL produces peak HP.
And you can buy a subaru STi today for less than a TL that will run high 12's stock. There are multiple relatively cheap cars that run 13's today. All of which can make significantly more power with cheap mods. I'm not saying that the TL is as fast as the fastest muscle car, but even back in those days it would have been a fast car.

Muscle cars back then aren't any more powerful than what we have available today. Granted tires, suspension, and brakes have come a long way. Just I think people have this weird idealized idea of the "glory days" of muscle cars.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by S PAW 1
When I was 16, I was shining shoes in a barbershop, and cleaning the floors on weekends so I could buy my first car,
No one bought me my 1st car either.

But for me, shining shoes at 16 had its perks. My after school and Saturday job during high school was as the shoeshine boy at the real life Maury’s Wig Shop portrayed in Goodfellas ....... at the time of the infamous Billy Bats “Now Go Home and Get Your F**kin Shine Box” scene at Henry’s bar, The Suite, which was right next door. I was the Maury’s Wig Shop equivalent of young Henry working at the pizza shop, though I was never asked to firebomb cars. Shining Henry’s (and often Jimmy’s, Tommy’s, and the rest of the crew's ) shoes, go get lunch, serve drinks, feed the parking meters, etc. was the daily routine. On a typical Saturday afternoon, at the beginning of his manicure or at the end of a shine, Jimmy (Robert DeNiro’s character) would pull a $50 or $100 bill out of his pocket, ask me to take everybody’s lunch order, and then tell me to keep the change.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So DMZ, you just a straight up "gangsta" huh man? LOL! Goodfellas and Sopranos connections? But your avatar says 52...so how could you be 16 when Goodfellas was done?

Or did I just totally miss something here? (probably)
Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
So DMZ, you just a straight up "gangsta" huh man? LOL! Goodfellas and Sopranos connections? But your avatar says 52...so how could you be 16 when Goodfellas was done?

Or did I just totally miss something here? (probably)

Portrayed in Goodfellas...