Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts are needed for 5spdAT to 6spdMT

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:46 PM
07 WDP TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking What parts are needed for 5spdAT to 6spdMT

I want to do a tranny swap on my 07 TL, anyone know what parts i need and how much approx. it will cost?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
just trade it in for a type-s, take the hit $$ wise and if I read correctly in the other forum- JDM the hell out of it.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:45 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by bcbtony
I want to do a tranny swap on my 07 TL, anyone know what parts i need and how much approx. it will cost?
Trade it in.........

WTF is a 16 year old doing with a new TL anyway?
Just tell mommy and daddy you made a mistake and you want them to buy you the other one.

I can tell by your mods and age that you just can't wait to rack it up.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love when people get all mad about young kids having good cars, for some reason it doesn't bother me..I mean if my parents bought me a TL, I'd take it in a second, I dont know one person who would say "ohh no mom, its alright you keep that money and buy be a 2k car"..Just trade it in, I don't think its worth doing the swap..Along with that, I doubt he is even 16, prolly just filled the age thing in randomly like most of us..
Old 06-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

word...no swap not worth the TIME and MONEY... because this isn't a simple

take out old tran.......... and put in new tran ....kind of job

and im not sure how you're even gonna sell your old one... and find all the parts for the manual transmission... maybe im wrong, but i haven't herad anyone doing this swap especially on a 3G TL

and if you were gonna do a swap why not go for a custom trans and remake somthing that is even better than the stock manual trans (because if you're gonna have the money to tackle this, you must h ave money to put in some power...cause if you're gonna waste the money/time, why not make somthing out of it
Old 06-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Trade it in.........

Just tell mommy and daddy you made a mistake and you want them to buy you the other one.

You should have stopped typing after "Trade it in".

I'm getting tired of people bringing the age and parents thing into our forums, so take warning.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 PM
07 WDP TL

Originally Posted by black04
I love when people get all mad about young kids having good cars, for some reason it doesn't bother me..I mean if my parents bought me a TL, I'd take it in a second, I dont know one person who would say "ohh no mom, its alright you keep that money and buy be a 2k car"..Just trade it in, I don't think its worth doing the swap..Along with that, I doubt he is even 16, prolly just filled the age thing in randomly like most of us..

LOL, your right im 16 years and 4months old. sorry, cant fill in months on thing
Old 06-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Lead Foot

Like everyone else said, it's not an easy job what-so-ever you are better off just selling the car you have and getting a new one. I did the entire swap on a '97 eclipse and let me tell you what...half way through i wish i would have just sold it and found another one that was standard
Old 06-03-2007, 03:39 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Probably easiest to just trade it in for a 6spd unless you know someone who really enjoys doing this type of stuff
Old 06-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned

even if they enjoy this, its nothing like swapping out an old civic / integra.. so they might love it but to try to match the quality/ assurance of what the factory puts out.. is one hell of a job for high-end luxury cars like the TL's
Old 06-03-2007, 04:54 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
WTF. It's a brand new car? Did you not test drive the 6MT?

Here's a short list of parts.

Tranny
Clutch
Clutch slave and hose
Shifter gate
Shifter
ECU and wiring

That's over $3K in parts alone... and a sure way to void your warranty. All in all, it would probably be over $4K installled - less than the hit you'd take at trade in.

Have fun killing yourself.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
71Q

Originally Posted by buhhbuhh
so they might love it but to try to match the quality/ assurance of what the factory puts out.. is one hell of a job for high-end luxury cars like the TL's
Dont forget it IS an accord I dont think it would be impossible to match honda's build quality in assembling a manual swap. It can and has been done on supraforums numerous times. Some people hack it up, most make it look as good if not better than stock! Anything is possible with patience etc. However, if it were mine, i would see about trading out of it, or dealing with the auto. I dont think it would be worth all the money and the PITA it will be.

take care
Mark
Old 06-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

yea you're right.. but supra/civic/integra are in a different class of their own... i just wish i saw some acura/lexus/infiniti with a transmission swap.. plus the options are endless for cars that have had them done before, but the 3G TL has never been done before so it would just have to a direct swap. but yes with time and patience... it'll be close to factory, but better? i don't think so. but who am i too say that, i don't know the firs thing to start a project like this
Old 06-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ
Trade it in.........

yea seriously, could we stop the age bashing? just because you werent as fortunate, dont take it out on others. its totally unnecessary and youre criticizing the person before you know their situation which just makes you an ignorant fuc/<

to the OP, dont bother to change from an AT to an MT if you already dont know the parts that are needed. you just asking that question means you dont have an extensive knowledge of cars. better off trading it in or waiting to get an MT for your next car
Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Trade it in for a M/T TL before you start putting the rest of your aftermarket stuff in.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
07 WDP TL

only reson i dont want to trade this is because this was an accident car it fell off the carlift at acura so i dont got any warrenty left in my front end and my uncle boght it and sold it for me for 28k
Old 06-03-2007, 07:18 PM
07 WDP TL

only reson i dont want to trade this is because this was an accident car it fell off the carlift at acura so i dont got any warrenty left in my front end and my uncle boght it and fix it and sold it for me for 28k
Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 PM

How do you lose warranty on something that the dealer fucked up?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 PM

Oh well if you're going to do a 6MT conversion trying finding a totalled 6MT and seeing if you can take a few parts, you'll need:

A new front end, that the axles and all, because the M/T TL has LSD whereas the A/T TL does not.
Tranny
Clutch
Clutch slave and hose
Shifter gate
Shifter
ECU and wiring
And some interior reworking to change it from the A/T set up to the M/T set up.

Good luck, all you need is $$.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by jsong83
yea seriously, could we stop the age bashing? just because you werent as fortunate, dont take it out on others. its totally unnecessary and youre criticizing the person before you know their situation which just makes you an ignorant fuc/<
For the record, I didn't mean to criticize or bash the kid personally. I was merely expressing my own opinion that a brand new TL is not necessarily a good 1st car for a young teen.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DMZ
For the record, I didn't mean to criticize or bash the kid personally. I was merely expressing my own opinion that a brand new TL is not necessarily a good 1st car for a young teen.

Look at the extensive list of mods in the OP, then look at the rationale about how all this took place(Falling off a rack at an Acura dealership?), and all of this on a 2007 already?
Bound to get knee-jerk reactions that are guaranteed to raise your blood pressure. Pretend it's not real, because it sure sounds shaky to me.
Lower your expectations and opinions, unfortunately.
Take a deep breath.
Reward yourself by buying a new TL
Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=tranny+swap

Not a 3G, but you get the picture. I'd expect the effort to be about the same.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Complete Transmission w/ sensors & half-shaft
Right & left drive-shafts
Clutch
Flywheel
Slave cylinder
Master cylinder
Fluid Lines
Brake & Clutch pedal assembly
Shifter Cables
Shifter Assembly w/ boot & knob
6-speed ECU
OEM shop manual for wiring of reverse lock-out etc...

The whole thing would be quite simple with wrecked 6MT to pull parts from. A good source for parts would probably be ImportAutoSalvage.com (ask for Larry Jr.). Other than that, all you need is the OEM shop manual ($70 from Helminc.com) and a lot of patience. It's gonna be very important to check ALL wiring differences between 6MT and 5AT ECUs, but usually it's only the transmission related stuff that is any different. Also there is probably a 5AT gear indicator on the gauge cluster, but you don't have to worry about that.

There really isn't anything to be scared of just because it's an "expensive" car (that some like to think is "special"). Underneath it all, all cars are pretty much the same. And the more electronics they pack into them, the easier they are to work on...
Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ
Interesting that Ron can blast you for making a comment on the kid's age, but apparently doesn't have a problem with someone call you an "ignorant fuc/<".

What's even more fun is when someone sends you an e mail calling you every term they have ever learned because they got their feelings hurt, including daring you to come visit them so they can make their point in person. Truly laughable.

For the record, and I think this may be a point that DMZ was making (excuse me if it's not), the problem is with a kid being fortunate to get a TL, or anything else, from their parents. I would have loved one two way back in the dark ages.

The problem I have is with the parents. A 250+ hp is probably not the best first car for a kid. Sorry if that offends anyone's fragile ego.

I live in a a fairly affluent community with a population of less than 10,000 people. Unfortunately, we REGULARLY bury 10 - 20 kids a year who got in over their heads driving cars they should have never been given the keys to. There are too many "part-time" parents willing to write a check to buy little Johnny what he wants, be it from guilt or ignorance.

I know there are 16 year-old honors students out there driving new TL's, but I think the numbers (check out any insurance company) speak for themselves.

My son turns 15 this month and is already taking driver's ed. He'll have his first car in a year. The car guy in me says "get him a Civic SI, or even my '05 TL". the responsible (and concerned) parent in me says, " an old Civic or Corolla will do for a few years". Sure you can get in trouble with any car, but the temptations there with a TL, G35, etc.

Let me go on record that I'm happy for bcbtony getting a new TL. I only hope he shows respect not only for the car, but for the other drivers on the road. You're a lucky guy and I wish you a lifetime of fun and safe driving.

You think you are invincible when you are young, but believe me you aren't.

gurney
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Gurneyeagle:
Couldn't agree more! I was really letting DMZ know that myself and a few other members over 25-30 (my guess would be the vast majority) were all thinking the same thing, just didn't have the balls to say it. Glad to see you step up and point out the real issues.
As I stated before, I think the thread was created with the sole intention of creating chaos, and we need to look past it.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Lead Foot

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Interesting that Ron can blast you for making a comment on the kid's age, but apparently doesn't have a problem with someone call you an "ignorant fuc/<".

What's even more fun is when someone sends you an e mail calling you every term they have ever learned because they got their feelings hurt, including daring you to come visit them so they can make their point in person. Truly laughable.

For the record, and I think this may be a point that DMZ was making (excuse me if it's not), the problem is with a kid being fortunate to get a TL, or anything else, from their parents. I would have loved one two way back in the dark ages.

The problem I have is with the parents. A 250+ hp is probably not the best first car for a kid. Sorry if that offends anyone's fragile ego.

I live in a a fairly affluent community with a population of less than 10,000 people. Unfortunately, we REGULARLY bury 10 - 20 kids a year who got in over their heads driving cars they should have never been given the keys to. There are too many "part-time" parents willing to write a check to buy little Johnny what he wants, be it from guilt or ignorance.

I know there are 16 year-old honors students out there driving new TL's, but I think the numbers (check out any insurance company) speak for themselves.

My son turns 15 this month and is already taking driver's ed. He'll have his first car in a year. The car guy in me says "get him a Civic SI, or even my '05 TL". the responsible (and concerned) parent in me says, " an old Civic or Corolla will do for a few years". Sure you can get in trouble with any car, but the temptations there with a TL, G35, etc.

Let me go on record that I'm happy for bcbtony getting a new TL. I only hope he shows respect not only for the car, but for the other drivers on the road. You're a lucky guy and I wish you a lifetime of fun and safe driving.

gurney

Well put. Thing was, i got my 97 eclipse for my first car, and with that 4 banger i thought i was invinsible, low and behold i rear ended someone while trying to be cocky. Then my step dad lets me borrow his mustang and i wreck that. I learned the hard way about being young and stupid, LUCKILY i never killed or seriously injured myself or anybody else.

So i do agree with everyone saying that a car with that much power is more than a 16 year old should have. Some 16 year olds will punch it around every corner, some will respect the car, his, and anybody else's life around him. All depends on what kind of driver he is, but knowing how i was, when i do have kids, they will not be driving cars like that. I've had too many friends die from being young and stupid and having a car that can do 0-60 in 6 seconds.

Point i'm making is you have to learn to drive an automobile before you learn to drive a real car (or any car with 250hp and up), problem is too many kids think they can't get hurt, that it just won't happen to them.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still young too, but i learned my lesson early

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
#1 Super Guy!

This thread involves a perfectly respectably TECH question. Why don't you guys take your stupid tangents and useless opinions and start your own threads to B.S. about rich kids and their cars. I have trouble believing anybody moderates this place sometimes...
Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Pro

At first, narassing the young people on this forum who clearly got help buying their TL was fun, but now it's just getting really old. I had to work my ass off to be able to afford my TL, but I got it and that's all that matters.

To answer the OP: it's going to be next to impossible. I think your only real choices are to etiher live with the AT or trade it and get an MT.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by bcbtony
only reson i dont want to trade this is because this was an accident car it fell off the carlift at acura so i dont got any warrenty left in my front end and my uncle boght it and sold it for me for 28k
no warrenty? Well either the body shop or acura should be warrentying their work. Maybe if it has a salvage title....

But either way paying 28k for a car with serious damage, you got ripped off.

edit- and trying to do a tranny swap is just a bad idea. You'll spend less money by trading the car.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't mean to highjack this thread, maybe I need to start a new one. I have 56,000 miles on my '05 TL 6MT, I have since gotten some arthritis in my left knee. Anyone have information on converting a 6MT to a 5AT? Don't want to lose my limited slip diff. Is it feasible?
Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 94eg!
This thread involves a perfectly respectably TECH question. Why don't you guys take your stupid tangents and useless opinions and start your own threads to B.S. about rich kids and their cars. I have trouble believing anybody moderates this place sometimes...
In spite of the questionable grammar , you do make a semi-good point. However, keep in mind this wasn't the first thread hijacked, nor will it be the last. Sometimes it's just hard to read an opinion that hits home. I've been fussed at by the moderators (deservedly so, I must admit) a few times.

Whether it's a "perfectly respectably" (???) TECH question, I'm not so sure. I'd say it was more naive.

Even more puzzling is the comment about the car not being in "warrenty" because it fell off the transporter at the dealership is really bizarre. Come on, what gives?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
#1 Super Guy!

My grammar is the good...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Don't mean to highjack this thread, maybe I need to start a new one. I have 56,000 miles on my '05 TL 6MT, I have since gotten some arthritis in my left knee. Anyone have information on converting a 6MT to a 5AT? Don't want to lose my limited slip diff. Is it feasible?
Thanks
That might be easier as you wouldnt have to make accomodations for the pedals, but I'm pretty sure you'll lose the LSD.

In general tranny swaps just arent worth it. Its alot of work and pain when you can just trade for another car that already has the tranny you want.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

gurney
Hear, hear!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Race Director

Now hold on its not fair to assume that all young kids are rich and spoiled just because they have a TL. I bought my car used and I paided for it. Granted my parents help with my insurance I pay for all of my gas. So dont assume that every teenager in a TL is spoiled.

As far as spoiled kids I know what you mean. There are some kids that go to my high school and you can tell there parents bought them there cars because they beat the piss out of them. I personally drive my TL with very modest accleration, not slow but no need to floor it. Its been awhile since my TL has seen its redline.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 94eg!
My grammar is the good...
Excellent!
Old 06-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Lead Foot

Good is thee grammuuurrrrrr

haha!

It was a respectable question that i'm sure gets answered all the time, but when it comes down to it he probably won't do it, and besides it makes for a nice little laugh to see everyone add in their own

Old 06-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

gurney
And this is any different from the 50's 60's 70's how??? Kids have been driving high hp (muscle) cars from day one. Just because a 16 year old is driving a 35+k car with 250hp now its something new? If your age is correct you should know that! Those that grew up with the lack of power in the 80s seem to have forgotten that there were Real Muscle cars in the past that were far faster and more dangerous to drive. This isnt something new.

And lets try to keep it on subject.

Yes im sure its possible. Im sure it wouldnt be far from what it took to do in the 2nd gen. There probably is more wiring involved, bit since the car came that way from day one (as a option) i dont see it being as hard as some would like to make it out to be.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And this is any different from the 50's 60's 70's how??? Kids have been driving high hp (muscle) cars from day one. Just because a 16 year old is driving a 35+k car with 250hp now its something new? If your age is correct you should know that! Those that grew up with the lack of power in the 80s seem to have forgotten that there were Real Muscle cars in the past that were far faster and more dangerous to drive. This isnt something new.
Old cars HP ratings are significantly different than the ratings back in the day. 258hp on the new SAE ratings is probably more than quite a few of the "muscle" cars had.

In any case, giving a kid a GTO back in the day wasn't any more intelligent than giving a kid a high powered sedan today.

"Hot Rod tested a four-speed standard GTO and obtained a quarter mile reading of 14.7 seconds at 97 mph (156 km/h) in pure stock form. Motor Trend clocked a four-speed Ram Air with 4.33 rear differential at 14.45 seconds @ 98.2 mph (158.0 km/h) and a standard GTO with Turbo-Hydramatic and 3.23 gears at 15.93 seconds @ 88.3 mph (142.1 km/h). Testers were split about handling, with Hot Rod calling it "the best-balanced car [Pontiac] ever built," but Car Life chiding its excessive nose heaviness, understeer, and inadequate damping."

Oh yah. They were "way" faster.

Quick Reply: What parts are needed for 5spdAT to 6spdMT