Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think?

Now, before I go into detail Im sure some of you will make fun of me on this, but Im looking for some opinions and looking for some good replies.
I drive a lot for work, so around last July, I bought a new 05 Acura TSX. I wanted something with an upscale look and feel that got good gas mileage and the TSX was the car I chose.

Well, I really liked my car, but I really wanted something faster. So, what did I end up going out and doing...I bought a 04 Corvette. I absolutely love the speed and power and funness of the Vette, but after a long day of driving it is not a fun anymore and becomes kind of annoying. Its a bouncy ride and its loud inside. Im on my phone alot and it gets pretty tiresome especially by the end of the day. Also, the gas mileage isn't terrible, but not good either. I average about 18 mpg.

Now, Im thinking about getting something else. I need something that gets good gas mileage (at least 22-25 mpg on average). It needs to be somewhat quiet and have a nice ride. Also, I want something that is going to be reliable because I don't want to have to worry.

So what am I looking at so far? Well, here's the list:

Acura TL
Infinity G35 (4 door)
VW Passat (2.0t probably more than the 3.6)
Chrysler 300C (gas will be more on this than most, but with the 4 cyl on the freeway, I think I might be ok)

Im looking to stay in the $27,500-$32,000 range.

So the question I have for you guys is why did you buy your TL and what other vehicles did you consider. Also, what do you think of the other vehicles?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Opium den in

Not to tear apart your choiced but you havent specified as to what youre looking for in the car other than gas mileage and Im assuming 4 doors and what kind of transmission were you looking for? You didnt specify whether you want the G35 AWD, G35 Manual (only comes in RWD) and as for the 300C, you really want that hemi engine as opposed to the V6 AWD? Id go with the Audi A4 2.0 over the Passat due to the AWD Quattro system Audi is infamous for. The passat will be your money sover but it will be by far the slowest out of all. Personally Im not much for Chrysler's/Dodge/Jeeps as for that matter. And as for the TL/G35 dispute, I went through it a couple months ago. I just leased an 06 TL 6Speed and my choices were the TL/G35 sedan/G35 coupe/350Z. After a few long days of arguing with my parents they made me settle with the TL. Im more than happy with it all around and Ill take the body of the TL over the G35. The 07 TL and 07 G35 are out but then again if youre trying to buy/lease the car the interest rates will be ridiculous. I hope my 10 page reply helped you haha.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Yeah, I should have been more clear.

Don't care if the car is rwd, fwd, or awd. Also, I would prefer a 4 door.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Ontilt
Now, before I go into detail Im sure some of you will make fun of me on this, but Im looking for some opinions and looking for some good replies.
I drive a lot for work, so around last July, I bought a new 05 Acura TSX. I wanted something with an upscale look and feel that got good gas mileage and the TSX was the car I chose.

Well, I really liked my car, but I really wanted something faster. So, what did I end up going out and doing...I bought a 04 Corvette. I absolutely love the speed and power and funness of the Vette, but after a long day of driving it is not a fun anymore and becomes kind of annoying. Its a bouncy ride and its loud inside. Im on my phone alot and it gets pretty tiresome especially by the end of the day. Also, the gas mileage isn't terrible, but not good either. I average about 18 mpg.

Now, Im thinking about getting something else. I need something that gets good gas mileage (at least 22-25 mpg on average). It needs to be somewhat quiet and have a nice ride. Also, I want something that is going to be reliable because I don't want to have to worry.

So what am I looking at so far? Well, here's the list:

Acura TL
Infinity G35 (4 door)
Chrysler 300C (gas will be more on this than most, but with the 4 cyl on the freeway, I think I might be ok)

So the question I have for you guys is why did you buy your TL and what other vehicles did you consider. Also, what do you think of the other vehicles?
Back in 05 I was looking at the TL, G35, Maxima, 325i, 330i, Lexus ES 330 & the Mercedes C230.

The most important things to me in descending order were: value for $$, reliability & dependability, exterior and interior looks, luxury & gadgets, performance, price and interior space.

After thoroughly driving all of them, I chose the TL and don't regret it at all. Keep in mind for 07 the G35 is brand new and the TL is a MMC with a redesign for MY 09. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Opium den in

Like I said, Im not much for Chevy's as well, but the new Impala SS, 300+ horsepower and somewhere in the 30's for highway mpg. It achieves this by shutting down 4 cylinders when you are cruising and if you suddenly feel the need to floor it, the other 4 cylinders kick it within a milisecond or two I belive, I find this to be quite impressive.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Ontilt
I wanted something with an upscale look and feel that got good gas mileage and the TSX was the car I chose.

Well, I really liked my car, but I really wanted something faster. ...

Well, here's the list:

Acura TL
Infinity G35 (4 door)

I think you're headed for a TL or a G35. The Infiniti and Chrysler will use more gas on the freeway. The Infiniti will be a little louder than the TL; the TL has the best interior of all of the above choices. The Infiniti and 300C will be difficult to get for 32K if reasonably equipped, and the 300C is a long boat. The VW is slow (around same as TSX) and most likely to see the service bay.

Another possible choice: Cadillac CTS with the 3.6 V6, although the CTS has a VW-like record for repairs per Consumer Reports. FYI, I looked at all the above (and then some), was inclined towards a TSX 6-speed and ended up with a TL when my wife preferred an auto.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I came from a Passat V6 .. lousy milage ... the 2.0 is better and altho not as fast as the TL its no slouch ... test drive one ...

As far as the service comment on the Passat and the Consumer Reports .. most were related to coil packs in some of the 2002 / 3 4 cyl passats and an oil sludging problem which has been addressed.

I found the Passat way better on fit and finish than the TL and the interior quality is way better but not as well appointed.

All in all .. your still better off in a TL if you can handle the ferking rattles.