Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is behind the bin below the radio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:56 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is behind the bin below the radio?

I am planning on installing an always on power socket behind the dash to plug a cell phone charger into. My plan is to have the charger wire come into one of the two storage bins below the radio, leaving about six or eight inches of wire available to plub the cell phone into and store the phone in the bin.

Question. What is behind the bins? Can I simply drill a 1/4 inch hole into the back of the bin and then feed the wire, or is there something behind the bins that will block the wire and/or be damaged by drlling.

Help appreciated. I will post picks and expierence when I am done.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Instructor

I don't know what's behind there but did you know there's already an outlet like that in the lower storage area of the center arm rest. The divider between the upper and lower sections even have a notch cut in one corner to allow you to bring your charger cord up. So, you plug the charger in the lower section, bring all the cord that will reach through the notch and place the excess cord and phone in the upper compartment. The phone always at hand and the extra cord allows you to use the phone while it's charging.
If you already knew this; never mind.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
points to you ... i didnt know there was a notch!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Yup, it's very handy, indeed. And, even better.....that upper storage area is deep enough to completely hold my v710....even if I have it clipped into the belt clip. Now if Verizon will just release the dang firmware update so that answering the phone isn't quite such a hit-and-miss proposition.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
points to you ... i didnt know there was a notch!
Thank you Sir.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you can just get a Bluetooth phone. Then it doesn't matter where the phone is. And it's SOOO cool!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Go USC Gamecocks!

Originally Posted by longwood
I am planning on installing an always on power socket behind the dash to plug a cell phone charger into. My plan is to have the charger wire come into one of the two storage bins below the radio, leaving about six or eight inches of wire available to plub the cell phone into and store the phone in the bin.

Question. What is behind the bins? Can I simply drill a 1/4 inch hole into the back of the bin and then feed the wire, or is there something behind the bins that will block the wire and/or be damaged by drlling.

Help appreciated. I will post picks and expierence when I am done.

I think what Longwood is trying to say is that he wants an outlet that's always on. Maybe I'm wrong, but with my V710, the only time it charges is when the car is actually running or using the battery. So I can't charge my phone while the car is off. Just a guess I wonder if this is a TL issue or a phone issue? Mods any help?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Stealth geek.

I'll go one further - there's a notch in the side of the upper tray closest to the driver that will let you "channel" your cord outside of the top tray - even with the armrest closed - so that the charging head can reach to, say, the cupholder cover, if you prefer to leave your phone where it's visible while you drive.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Why not tap into the unused, switched 12VDC outlets in the fuse block in the driver's kick panel? The current draw is low, so you can use very thin wires and snake them to wherever you want, without tearing up your interior. As I recall, some of the SRS control equipment is in the center stack - I would be careful monkeying around in that area.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:41 PM
10th Gear

Although I appreciate the attempts at help above, none of you seem to get my question.

1) Yes, I want a power outlet that is ALWAYS ON EVEN WHEN THE CAR IS OFF. None of the standard outlets do this. Thank is why I need to add a new outlet.

2) I am talking about the two bins below the radio, NOT the center armrest.

My plan is to have a power outlet that originates in the fuse block running to a power outlet mounted low behind the dash. Here a car charger will plub in and the cord from the car charger will run through one of the bins UNDER THE RADIO. I just want to know what is behind these bins UNDER THE RADIO before I drill into them.

If there is two much sensitive equipment behind the bins under the radio plan b would be to run the wires to the center console and install a new, second power outlet that is always on. I just think it would be easeir to use the center bins, (under the radio) and that is the point of my question.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Although I appreciate the attempts at help above, none of you seem to get my question.

1) Yes, I want a power outlet that is ALWAYS ON EVEN WHEN THE CAR IS OFF. None of the standard outlets do this. Thank is why I need to add a new outlet.

My plan is to have a power outlet that originates in the fuse block running to a power outlet mounted low behind the dash. Here a car charger will plub in and the cord from the car charger will run through one of the bins UNDER THE RADIO. I just want to know what is behind these bins UNDER THE RADIO before I drill into them.

If there is two much sensitive equipment behind the bins under the radio plan b would be to run the wires to the center console and install a new, second power outlet that is always on. I just think it would be easeir to use the center bins, (under the radio) and that is the point of my question.
How about the 7.5 amp fuse #6 in the under-dash? That drives the courtesy lights - should be hot all the time.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:15 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

I dont guarantee the Accord 04 and the TL are exactly the same, but have a look on page 7 of te Accord Manual Here:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/04audio.pdf

PS: There is some other Acura Parts type online store where people are always linking to the parts diagrams with individual part numbers and stuff. Hopefully one of you veterans of ATL can point me in the right direction. That place would have a online parts diagram for the bin itself, and thus may show whats behind it. I thought it was like acuraparts.com or something.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:26 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

correct me if i`m wrong... but i`m assuming you want more than two outlets total??? otherwise, it would be much easier for you to just:
~ gain access to either of the factory outlets...
~ clip and cap the switched source wire (the current power wire)...
~ run a new, constant power (always on), wire from the fuse panel to the factory outlet...
~ solder wire to the old connection area, clean up, and feel free to charge anytime...
~ it worked beautifully in my other cars...

Old 11-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Stealth geek.

Apologies. I should have clarified that my earlier post was directed at those who didn't know about the notch in the center console for standard phone chargers.

Anyway, more on topic, you might be interested in the following thread. It seems that at least one user of this forum has removed the bins entirely and would most likely know what to find back there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99102

Hope this helps.