3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well TL is gone, new BMW M Roadster is in :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well TL is gone, new BMW M Roadster is in :)

It was a great ride, but front wheel drive and the torque steer just got the best of me. I'm convinced that no car should every exceed 250hp or so with FWD. At least go AWD and distribute the torque.

Anyways, traded the TL in on a brand new BMW M Roadster. Wanted a convertible, and love things with 6 cylinders that rev to 8,000 RPM

One thing kind of odd is that three times in the last few weeks guys in TLs have met me at stoplights or on the highways and decided they wanted to race it. What are they thinking? I owned an 05 TL for a year, so I know what it'll do. Just a tip, unless you have a turbo or something really fancy, you're not going to beat a new S54 based M Roadster or Coupe in a TL, so save us both some gas

The BMW, as my other three were, is rock solid, and much better quality than the TL was, but of course it SHOULD be for the price difference. I would say the TL is still the market leader for value and performance for the dollar, but if you find a few more bucks to spend, go get yourself one of these things - they're fantastic and an absolute dream to drive.

Take care guys and stay safe out there!

Adam
Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Bobz

I have a BMW 540i and an Acura TL and the Bimmer is way better in all respects except one: reliability. FWD and torque steer are the achilles heel of the TL for sure. But I still love the fact that Acura gives you fully loaded cars. It p---me off that BMW and other German car companies have this humungous option list that drives the price to the stratosphere. When you are paying BMW prices, leather should not be an option.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Roadsters look like little toy chick cars to me. Kind of like the Mazda Miata. I wouldn't drive one if you gave it to me, I would sell it.

I looked at the 328i and 335i. Apparently the only way to get one fully loaded with like options as the TL is to special order. Everyone just wants the base 3 series to say they own a BMW around here.

I loved the 335i but it came in around $48k with the same equipment as the TL-S. $10k more for a car that isn't as reliable and not as good re-sale.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Advanced

bimmers are :theghey: around here just like dude said previously. Everyone drives the base models around here just to say they have a bimmer....who cares

Enjoy it though man I am sure its nice....for you
Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enjoy it as long its an M is the only way I'd waste money on a BMW...
Old 05-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
So when those TL drivers wanted to race, what did you do? Did you oblige, or did you let modesty be the better part of valor?

I owned an '05 TL A-Spec for a year as well, but I continue to feel a certain affinity for Acura cars and their drivers (well, most of them anyway).
Old 05-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Advanced

i drove a z4 3.0 from dallas to Los angeles. not exactly the best road trip i ever experienced. also after 14k miles the car already had interior parts popping loose. so enjoy the car while it's fresh.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Banned

To Add my Two Cents In, TL is a way better option if you dont want to spend more than $40,000. Because i would never get a cheap bmw. And if i have more than 60,000 i would never buy a TL... All depends on where you stand, Moneywise!
Old 05-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One of my ex's had that car...not the M version. I think it was a 2.5 or something? Hopefully you didn't get red lol i felt so fem driving the car
Old 05-26-2007, 01:31 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
enjoy paying for them maintence fees at the dealer..lol
my bro has the 2006 5 series and man...the oil change and transmission fluid change price alone were outrageous
Old 05-26-2007, 02:03 AM
TCU Frogs!

i thought all bmw services and maintenances were free of charge
Old 05-26-2007, 02:29 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MoHaWk2003
i thought all bmw services and maintenances were free of charge
not forever...
Old 05-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
I have a BMW 540i and an Acura TL and the Bimmer is way better in all respects except one: reliability. FWD and torque steer are the achilles heel of the TL for sure. But I still love the fact that Acura gives you fully loaded cars. It p---me off that BMW and other German car companies have this humungous option list that drives the price to the stratosphere. When you are paying BMW prices, leather should not be an option.
TOTALLY Who would buy a new 335i without those SWEET 18" wheels with the sport pkg. And once you have NAV, you have to have it. EVEN though BMW's NAV sucks, its better then NO NAV. And leather, NOT STANDARD IF the 335i was $42k instead of $50k the way I want it, I might be driving one today. BUT YOU ALSO need to spend big bucks on an extended WARRANTY. OR expect to spend an annual chunk of cash on something expensive going wrong like clockwork. I KNOW and hear of so many people selling their Bimmers due to taking it in so often.$$$$$ Quality fit and finish BUT VERY POOR reliability
Old 05-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Cruisin'

Lol I've owned 3 BMWs, all 2 of them M cars, and none of them have ever been in the shop. I don't own them past 50,000 miles, and everything is included. I don't pay for oil changes.. you guys do. I don't pay for anything but gas and tires.

And as far as the cheapest BMWs go, you can have your opinion. This is the most expensive Z series car, coming in just under $60k. 0-60 is about 4.7 seconds and it handles fantastically on the track. I've never seen a girl in any ///M car, including an M Roadster up to this point. Although I'm married with two kids, and am not so insecure in my masculinity to let it determine what I drive. If that was the case I wouldn't drive the TL (nothing about it says MANLY either,) I'd drive a Hummer or something goofy.

As far as leather being an option, that's very common practice these days. Go price out a Porsche Cayman - except you don't even get an LSD with it.

It's unfortunate to see just how immature people on this board can be, but it's another reason to move to a more 'grown up' car... but one that will still spank the pants off of any stock Acura ever built (yes, that includes the NSX thanks...)

As far as the racing-the-TL thing goes, of course I gave it a little gas and left them far behind. Open roads in both cases, no traffic and no curves. As safe as I could make it on a public road and I let off immediately afterwards. You don't buy an M series to NOT go fast every once in a while

So thanks to those who made sensible comments and understand the differences. The flames from the others certainly don't bother me... I was a teenager once too!

Adam

Removing some of the 'girly' factor... quad rear pipes, 18" forged wheels, cross drilled rotors, big fat go-kart steering wheel, 330bhp stock, more aggressive front front end treatment, 'power ridges' on the hood, all new aggressive sport suspension, bolstered seats, 10 speaker THX certified Carver system which rocks the Acura's system's world... it's just a great car all around.

And the coupe race version... probably not something 'girls' would enjoy driving...
Old 05-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 05-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

With performance and handling in mind I personally would have went for the new corvette, not to mention the corvette is built to last and out perform that miata.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Pro

Torque steer is minimal in the TL, unless you have an MT and gun it from full stop. I am sure the BMW is faster and performs better, but be prepared to shell out $$ for expensive repairs. Also, be patient while you are stranded on the road waiting for tows.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:17 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by kenny5
Torque steer is minimal in the TL, unless you have an MT and gun it from full stop. I am sure the BMW is faster and performs better, but be prepared to shell out $$ for expensive repairs. Also, be patient while you are stranded on the road waiting for tows.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:17 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by adam12hicks
It was a great ride, but front wheel drive and the torque steer just got the best of me. I'm convinced that no car should every exceed 250hp or so with FWD. At least go AWD and distribute the torque.

Anyways, traded the TL in on a brand new BMW M Roadster. Wanted a convertible, and love things with 6 cylinders that rev to 8,000 RPM

One thing kind of odd is that three times in the last few weeks guys in TLs have met me at stoplights or on the highways and decided they wanted to race it. What are they thinking? I owned an 05 TL for a year, so I know what it'll do. Just a tip, unless you have a turbo or something really fancy, you're not going to beat a new S54 based M Roadster or Coupe in a TL, so save us both some gas

The BMW, as my other three were, is rock solid, and much better quality than the TL was, but of course it SHOULD be for the price difference. I would say the TL is still the market leader for value and performance for the dollar, but if you find a few more bucks to spend, go get yourself one of these things - they're fantastic and an absolute dream to drive.

Take care guys and stay safe out there!

Adam
Old 05-26-2007, 12:00 PM
B A N N E D

And the coupe race version... probably not something 'girls' would enjoy driving...
That IS the girl car. It's for the girls and IS a female car.. :ghey:

The other day I was messing with a guy in the white BMW Z4 and he looked so ghey. I couldn't believe the guy was driving the thing. I was like..
Old 05-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
^

I agree. That car definitely looks like a girly car to me.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wait...i didn't know they were the same price as an ///M3...wtf

why didnt you just go with the 3?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:38 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

Originally Posted by kenny5
In an 07 type S MT, torque steer is DEFINANTLY there and its annoying to deal with. I had come down to a decesion between a 328i loaded and the TL when I was making my purchase and I chose the TL for acceleration and gadgets. If BMW had acura's nav system and the 328i broke 6 seconds on the 60 I would have gotten it for sure.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts

It's unfortunate to see just how immature people on this board can be, but it's another reason to move to a more 'grown up' car... but one that will still spank the pants off of any stock Acura ever built (yes, that includes the NSX thanks...)

Kinda the pot calling the kettle black eh?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:50 PM
TCU Frogs!

Originally Posted by sifuacura
not forever...
i know, but you said it's an 06, so that would mean your brother has around 3 more years left to the free maintenance. and i highly doubt that your brother already has 50,000 miles on the bimmer.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

Ain't that the truth eh?

BTW my , Bimmers seem like the, "Look at me, I paid too much for too little" cars. I hate dissin a car for its drivers but thats how it works. I see alot of "compensation" drivers.....if you get my drift..... :gheyhug:
Old 05-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Safety Car

TOO many people think since its a BMW its awesome. A 525 automatic is a dog Gets stuck on gum Overpriced car just to say "I have a Bimmer" ..335i Coupe is a performer. TOO bad its TOO expensive LOADED
Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
To be fair, there ARE some very nice BMWs. I think the M5 is pretty cool. Or maybe an Audi S6 would be nice too.

It's pretty hard to compare a 4-door sports sedan (the TL) to a 2-door convertible sports car.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Touché

Listen (here comes Hippie Peace Man to the rescue), I think we can all agree that most BMWs look pretty dang sweet and will -- as a general rule -- outperform the TL. That is to be expected with a car that is considerably more money and whose engineers designed it with the idea of performance, performance, performance in mind first and foremost. BMWs perform; they are not very well-rated for practicality, reliability, gas mileage, etc. The Acura/Honda name is synonymous with long-lasting, reliable, and economical; in the case of the Acura branding specifically, the mindset is entry level sedan -- nothing more, nothing less.

We can quarrel all day long about why guy A bought a BMW and why guy B bought a TL; it really doesn't matter. Both cars have advantages and disadvantages over the other. Having said that, the OP had to know what he was getting himself into when he said "hey look, TL suckers, I have a Bimmer now." That's big-time fuel for an explosive fire; I'm actually kind of surprised this thread has really exploded yet.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Hooksta

My wife was totally cool if I wanted to purchase a 335i. But I decided to buy a TL ($32K) AND a BMW GS1200 motorbike ($16K). Now that is a two-for-one deal not to be passed up.

The bike reportedly will hit 60 in 3.6 or 3.8 something insane like that. It is comfortable to ride all day long (unlike a Harley or Ninja), of it can be loaded up like a Gold Wing, and is capable of going offroad. Nice piece.

And settling for a TL wasn't all that bad in my opinion. Sure I am not the biggest fan of FWD, but 150 top speed and all the features, reliability, and resale value of the TL. LOVE IT!

Enjoy your BMW Convertible...to each their own.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ha...this thread took an ugly turn.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Cruisin'

Yep that's what happens on Honda and Acura forms. Luckily for me this kind of retarded shit doesn't happen on Bimmerfest.com. I OWNED a TL for a while... so it's not like worried about 'hey look at me.' I would have bought an Elise for less money and got a lot more looks.

As far as the Vette comment goes... are you smoking crack? I have a very close friend with a C6 Z06... what a performer! Too bad it was in the shop more than it was on the road and they finally lemon law'd the thing. Have you ever sat in a Chevy car before? Hell the TL blows it away in quality.

The others on the board talking the smack about BMW wouldn't do so if they were driving one. They're great cars, and are rock solid. I left a 3 series e46 for the TL and after a year decided I just didn't want to live with the thin materials and annoying torque steer.

For the guy who asked why not an M3... the Roadster is actually faster than the M3 due to less weight, has the M3 CSL brakes which are phenomenal, and I wanted a little convertible I could toss around. I really dislike the looks of the M3 vert, though I love the coupe. This is only to hold me over until the V8 M3 comes out.

And for all of those complaining about BMW quality, how many times must I mention that I only own the cars while in warranty, so I could really care less about how much it will cost for the next guy to repair it out of warranty. I buy a new car about every 2 years on average. My next car will either be the Cayman (I know, a girls car!) or the V8 M3 (yep... girls car!)

Unfortunately guys, I see more women driving TLs than men, so YOUR comments are the pot calling the kettle black.

What else girls?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:41 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Hooksta
My wife was totally cool if I wanted to purchase a 335i. But I decided to buy a TL ($32K) AND a BMW GS1200 motorbike ($16K). Now that is a two-for-one deal not to be passed up.

The bike reportedly will hit 60 in 3.6 or 3.8 something insane like that. It is comfortable to ride all day long (unlike a Harley or Ninja), of it can be loaded up like a Gold Wing, and is capable of going offroad. Nice piece.

And settling for a TL wasn't all that bad in my opinion. Sure I am not the biggest fan of FWD, but 150 top speed and all the features, reliability, and resale value of the TL. LOVE IT!

Enjoy your BMW Convertible...to each their own.
Easy... My Harley V-Rod gets 0-60 in those times. In 1st gear too!
Sorry, just had to get my 2 cents in too.

Time for the lockski.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
What else girls?
I'd say enjoy your Bimmer while you own it. They're nice cars and perform very well. Congratulations on the purchase (and for creating the newest "let's get the AZ forum riled up" thread).
Old 05-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Safety Car

Keep the hot oil out of the water. Bimmers stay by bimmers. TL's stay on their side of the fence. I guess I will join a BMW forum and bash the German cars. If I bought a German car it would be the Audi RS4. Makes an M5 look like a tank. The ONLY thing the M5 beats the Audi RS4 is a few tenths in the straight 1/4 mile. ALL FACTS
Old 05-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Cruisin'

Guys... note that I didn't JOIN this forum to bash anything. None of my posts are bashing. Also note my join date. It's not yesterday.

Before you post check your 'FACTS'

Thanks Bretallica for your mature response. But please note that if you re-read my original post there was no intent of getting people 'roiled up.' I guess they're just looking for something to flame and got their panties in a wad.

Such is the internet!
Old 05-27-2007, 01:56 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
YEA A WHOLE 6 POSTS A YEAR
Old 05-27-2007, 03:36 AM
Dar
Cruisin'

Congrats on the new purchase. Personally I would've gotten and M3 if I were to buy a BMW. I know you said that your waiting for the V8 M3, but the Roadster has a subordinate appeal to me (especially among the other BMW M lines). I'm just not a fan of the styling and aesthetics on the Roadster; but hey whatever suits your pleasure. Its your money - who are we to judge?

Quick Reply: Well TL is gone, new BMW M Roadster is in :)