Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Weekend With The TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:37 PM
-E-K-S-O-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Weekend With The TL

(if this is posted in the wrong location, move it, if this doesn't belong anywhere in this forum, erase it... it's just something to read i guess and for all to comment on)

A full interior and exterior detail, fresh oil, premium gas and a weekend to burn. This is how most drivers prepare for long drives, road trips and the occational gaunt through their favorite passes. The following is my weekend of driving the freeways and roadways of Northern California.

Friday 9:00 PM
Stockton-Sacramento~70 miles
The HID xenon lights proved to be an incredible asset more then just the modern day look of premium vehicles as they peirced threw the darkening sky. The 17" Type-S rims spun with utter delight while on lookers took a second stare at my car as i burned pass them in the fast lane. I paced myself shifting through the gates as each flick of the my wrist sent the car into Vtec range. Smooth and refined the TL showed it did not lack what the RWD cars offered, but offered a different way to impress their pilots. The pinpoint accuracy of the Navigation and clear crisp sound from the ESL speakers made the drive even more so effortless.

Friday 11:00 PM
Sacramento-Stockton~70 miles
Homeward bound and back on the freeway, what i've never noticed before was how quickly the power came on tap. Downshifting, upshifting were fluid. The steering and handling were on point as i passed other cars throught the concrete maze. We blasted XM and rolled the windows down letting the cool air rush through the cabin. My cousin looked at me and said that it seemed as though my TL and I where connected telepathically.

Saturday 8:00 AM
Stockton-Santa Clara~80 miles
When i pulled into the parking lot of the McDonalds the sun was already in full bloom, it had soaked my CBP TL on the freeway. The shade from near by trees provided much protection and gave the TL some shelter until the others arrived. People pulling into the drive through took glances some pointing and nodding in approvement. Sure the TL Type-S was already in its final design year but they looked as if my car was a completely new design. The cars agressive stance and clean lines were street-tuned sexy yet classically dignified thanks to the OEM A-Spec kit.

Saturday 5:30 PM
Santa Clara-Stockton~80 miles
We took a crusing pace on the way home, i knew the millage was a no real concern but i wanted to take it easy. Lucky for us the TL was a nice and smooth ride, letting my passengers fall asleep in the soft and plush leather seats. The temp was a comfortable 75 degrees and jazz music filled the cabin with a lovely note. the steering wheel felt as if it knew what i wanted to do and the car responded as if it read my mind.

Saturday 7:00 PM
Stockton-Daily City~100 miles
The girls were waiting so we burned asphalt the whole way, this time the car was transformed from classy to speeder instantly. My hand never left the stick shift as i went from gear to gear, upshifting and downshifting like a bar chart. i passed a number of cars and did the 100 miles in record time. after exiting the vehicle i noticed how week my knees had become, this was deffinitely a drivers car.

Saturday 11:00 PM
Daily City to Downtown SF~10 miles
crusing downtown to show off the car was fun, women who would never look twice at my prelude was in full jock mode when i pulled up to the club. Stares came from the silenced crowed as I parked in an alley way along geary and polk. exiting the car like a super star and chirping the alarm system. the city lights made the TL look at home in the concrete jungle.

Sunday 6:00 AM
Downtown SF-Daily City~10 miles
with everyone knocked out in the back seat, i took a lesurly pace back to the girls condo, even with the long day that had passed the car ensured me a safe ride home, seat belts strapped we were all safe and sound, definitely the car is reassuring and supportive no matter the drivers intent. This gave me a feeling of confidence and saftey beyond all my experiences with cars.

Sunday 10:00 AM
Daily City-Stockton~100 miles
We were on a pressing schedule, My co-driver needed to be back in Stockton to visit his niece which he has not yet seen before heading back to the airport to catch his flight back home. With the peddle to floor and Hip Hop from the speakers, the drive was fantastic, jetting through the bay area is always a fun drive and never a pain in the ass, unless it's rush hour and traffic is a bitch. heal and toe action was quick and painless as i sent the tach needle to the end of the red line.each engagement of the clutch made the surounding a blur and time flew by with ease, no cops to be seen, no sirens to be heard, all was well.

Sunday 3:00 PM
quite, no radio, no talking, just driving... by this time i was ready to knock out for a half day but the exhileration from the drive kept my senses clear and precise. my day was almost over one more drive back home and all will be well. The TL proved to be the car i've been waiting for, and so far the drive is all i expected. pure enjoyment

Sunday 4:00 PM
Sacramento-Stockton~70 miles
back home, with the car in the garage,since friday i've accumulated about 660 miles. in my opinion the best 660 miles i've drove in quite a long time. The back roads of the altamont pass, the long straigh aways to sacramento... all of it was a blast and will be a weekend i wont soon forget, thank you acura for making this possible...i love my car...
Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a nice weekend! I was in SF on Saturday and drove back that night.. There was another TL on 80 on the way home around 11PM; we weren't doing anything stupid but we were keeping up with each other (70 -75ish).

Yesterday was a great day in NorCal; it was about 80 degrees and windy so I opened up all of the windows at home and had a BBQ; washed the TL and got the dead bugs out of the back dome lights

Glad you had a fun TL filled weekend!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
very poetic indeed, you drove a 3g like a true g, lol... I wish I could have such a weekend, I am an NYC guy this past weekend I put 80 miles on my TL-S, and that was driving all over manhattan and the bronx, I wish I had highways like cali-for-ni-a
Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

I like the narrative. This is likely what a lot of us are thinking as we're cruising in our awesome rides!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
nice write up. good to see some folks actually appreciate their ride
Old 08-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel like driving my TL-S now...
Old 08-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

That was beautiful... I expect another U4ICTHEORY's "TL corner" with pics to help narrate the story more. bravo
Old 08-06-2007, 04:51 PM
-E-K-S-O-

Talking

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES... I feel so good about this purchase... more people tend to drive... i tend to pilot... nothing better then a drive to get the life back into you...

for californians out there looking for a good drive through some of the best curves i've ever experienced... try Mountain House Parkway off of the 205 highway in the Tracy area heading west bound on Mountain house will turn into a 1 lane autocrossers dream... beware, though it's 1 lane it's also 2 way, so deffinitly keep a good watch out for on coming traffic which includes, bikers, cyclers, the occational truck/car... and yes, the less occational goat/cow... be carefull out there guys, but definitely enjoy the ride...
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Nice. I was in SF over the weekend with the family . . . a leisurely cruise from Sac on 80 to 37 to 101 to the Persidio. Spent the day at the Aloha Fest. Traffic sucked getting on 101 northbound to Golden Gate but smoothed out on the bridge. A KBP Type S zoomed on by on the outside lane, looks like he was in a hurry. Lotsa slowdowns on the way back especially on 80 through Fairfiled, Vacaville & Davis. Not to bad, though.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Pro

Great write up ... but I think you might have mentioned "girls" more than 5 times. I didn't really count, but it seemed that way ;-)

Unfortunately, I cannot drive from NY to Cal. Just too long (time and distance) a drive. Three weeks ago, I had one of my best drives of all times -- i.e. along Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, a 105 mile scenic drive. I heard it is even better in the fall for foliage sighting, but the traffic could get quite bad.

The TL is certainly a very nice car for both leisurely and spirited driving. It puts a smile on my face everytime, especially during those times when the excellent sound system kills the occasional rattles
Old 08-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
women who would never look twice at my prelude was in full jock mode when i pulled up to the club. Stares came from the silenced crowed as I parked in an alley way along geary and polk. exiting the car like a super star and chirping the alarm system.
That would never happen to you here. TL's are everywhere. I can look out my window and see 3 (not including mine). I had mine first. Can't be mad at them though, must of been torture seeing ours as they left for work everyday (we live at the front of the neighborhood).
Old 08-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by U4ICTHEORY

Friday 9:00 PM
Stockton to Sacramento is not 70 miles. I can make the drive in 45 minutes not even speeding.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

A really good drivers road in Southern Ca is the Angeles Crest Highway, Hwy 2, from Wrightwood to Glendale and back. Stop at Newcomb's Ranch to eat, and look out for crotch rockets.
Better yet, do it on a crotch rocket.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by alltrac
Stockton to Sacramento is not 70 miles. I can make the drive in 45 minutes not even speeding.
He kinda implied that he may have had to go up to the airport which would be about 70 miles. What difference does it make? Nicely written story anyway.

I had almost the same kind of fun last week. We spent some time over in Monterey. I wasn't going to take the TL but couldn't resist.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm your Huckleberry

Sounds like a great time. For us East Coasters it's getting to be Sauna-time. Tomorrow in Raleigh looks to be 100 F, with 60-80 percent humidity. I love the Carolina's but nobody stays outside very long this time of year.

I'll live vicariously thru you til fall!

BTW, Bullitt (the Steve McQueen version) is on AMC right now. Only movie that actually makes me want to own an American car! [temporarily, of course.]
Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MR1
He kinda implied that he may have had to go up to the airport which would be about 70 miles. What difference does it make? Nicely written story anyway.

I had almost the same kind of fun last week. We spent some time over in Monterey. I wasn't going to take the TL but couldn't resist.
Kinda implied??? are you serious? I read the whole story (did u?) nowhere did I read or even come close to mentioning Sacramento International Airport. Maybe I'm kinda implying you don't know how to read or that your full of shizzle.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
^^^^ dude............that was your second post??whats up? perhaps the route he chose was 70 miles, I dont think he was interested in the fastest or most direct route, he is enjoying his ride. What is the point of your post. Enjoy the narrative, dont get caught up in the trivial
Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Yes you are right, sorry guys that I came off so harsh. I live in Sacramento and drive to the East Bay every day. I go through Brentwood to avoid the Antioch bridge $4 toll. I drop into Stockton and hit the I-5 stretch to Sacramento. Good story about an awesome car.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Kinda implied??? are you serious? I read the whole story (did u?) nowhere did I read or even come close to mentioning Sacramento International Airport. Maybe I'm kinda implying you don't know how to read or that your full of shizzle.
Sunday 10:00 AM
Daily City-Stockton~100 miles
We were on a pressing schedule, My co-driver needed to be back in Stockton to visit his niece which he has not yet seen before heading back to the airport to catch his flight back home. With the peddle to floor and Hip Hop from the speakers, the drive was fantastic, jetting through the bay area is always a fun drive and never a pain in the ass, unless it's rush hour and traffic is a bitch. heal and toe action was quick and painless as i sent the tach needle to the end of the red line.each engagement of the clutch made the surounding a blur and time flew by with ease, no cops to be seen, no sirens to be heard, all was well.
The next paragraph in the original post talks again about the Sacramento round trip. Not a central part of the discussion but implied none the less.

By the way, welcome alltrac. I read quite well thanks. I did enjoy the entire story. I do know the area and do understand the word implication in all of its various forms.

I hope that you also have a TL to enjoy while driving back and forth. Tell us about it sometime.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
It sure is refreshing to read a post about someone enjoying their car. Congrats man. Seems like its a trip I should venture on sometime. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 AM
-E-K-S-O-

In all honesty i didn't include milage to the gas station, a starbucks, a bathroom brake because my cousins bladder is the size of a snow pea... i didn't think it would have been exciting if i gave you detail of how i put gas in the car, so i just added it to the drive and time frame... and yes i've done the drive in 45 minutes depending on time of day and traffic conditions.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 AM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Very Nice. I was in SF over the weekend with the family . . . a leisurely cruise from Sac on 80 to 37 to 101 to the Persidio. Spent the day at the Aloha Fest. Traffic sucked getting on 101 northbound to Golden Gate but smoothed out on the bridge. A KBP Type S zoomed on by on the outside lane, looks like he was in a hurry. Lotsa slowdowns on the way back especially on 80 through Fairfiled, Vacaville & Davis. Not to bad, though.

i missed the Aloha Fest? WTF?... i went to Great America instead?... someone shoot me now... how could i miss that?...
Old 08-07-2007, 09:43 AM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by RockOut
Sounds like a great time. For us East Coasters it's getting to be Sauna-time. Tomorrow in Raleigh looks to be 100 F, with 60-80 percent humidity. I love the Carolina's but nobody stays outside very long this time of year.

I'll live vicariously thru you til fall!

BTW, Bullitt (the Steve McQueen version) is on AMC right now. Only movie that actually makes me want to own an American car! [temporarily, of course.]

agreed, as much as i despise (some) american cars... there are some i wouldn't mind in my future hypothetical garage...
Old 08-07-2007, 09:45 AM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by pohljm
^^^^ dude............that was your second post??whats up? perhaps the route he chose was 70 miles, I dont think he was interested in the fastest or most direct route, he is enjoying his ride. What is the point of your post. Enjoy the narrative, dont get caught up in the trivial

Just noticed your from SD, I'm driving out there in september with a few friends so you guys will definitely hear a write up on that... Love the weather out there, Love the ladies out there... love the carne assada fries....

hate that i feel like i have to lift weights everytime i go to the beach out there...
Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
that made me feel like i was reading a novel very descriptive. Its always nice to hear good TL stories
Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 AM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by RJANACONDA
that made me feel like i was reading a novel very descriptive. Its always nice to hear good TL stories
sorry bout that, it was kinda long wasn't it... imagine milking the clock at work to write a blog about a weekend...

my next blogs wont be so long... but keep reading... i might make you either pee in your pants or vomit a little...

i'm good at that...
Old 08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Acuras Only in

Good story U4IC ... even though I missed all the fun at Aloha Fest or the rides at GA ...