Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WDP TL with black splash guards?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
WDP TL with black splash guards?

Hi All. I've noticed most don't go with the splash gaurds option, but those that do and own a WDP, how do you like the black on white contrast? I"m getting them thrown in with my deal but not sure how I like it. I have yet to see one on the road with splash guards.

has anyone had theirs painted to match the car's color? if so, how much did you pay to have that done? Thanks.

I think i'll take mine and have them painted and i'll post pics once i'm done.

Wil
Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 AM
WDP Is Faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have it and i honestly don't mind at all. But downside about it is that i don't have a kit. I have a 02 TL-S BTW. It actually looks good as long as I armor-all it everytime I wash the car so it looks brand new.

BUT, the main reason why i reply to this is because you gotta be careful because i looked behind my splash guards where it comes in contact with the paint and I only see the silver lining of the metal that is under the paint. Basically, just like the moonroof visor and the front license plate bracket, it will chip away the paint of what's underneath.. I just wanted to warn u about that beforehand.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:38 AM
G35Killerrr

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Hi All. I've noticed most don't go with the splash gaurds option, but those that do and own a WDP, how do you like the black on white contrast? I"m getting them thrown in with my deal but not sure how I like it. I have yet to see one on the road with splash guards.

has anyone had theirs painted to match the car's color? if so, how much did you pay to have that done? Thanks.

I think i'll take mine and have them painted and i'll post pics once i'm done.

Wil
I got the splash gaurds included with my deal,I do like it and I saw one guy in the forum had painted the splash gaurds to white and it look very nice ,but IMO I like it black better.

here is some picture
Stock rims and stock height

Stock rims with 1.2 F & R drop(the best pic I can find)

18" with 1.2" F&R drop

Hope those picture can help.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 AM
The Boss

I have it on mine ASPEC
Old 01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the splash guards on my WDP. I think they look fine. I don't really notice them. Now, how effect they actually are at keeping water off the door is another question. I can have a beautifully clean TL and then drive through a puddle or a little water in the road and it gets all over the door, ruining the cleanliness. *shrug* I think their value is somewhat dubious but they came with the car when I bought it.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:46 PM
My Daily Driver

yeah, not really helpful in keeping the car cleaner....I just have them for a bit of added protection from salt and rocks....they are coming off again for summer, and back on before next winter.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i noticed a huge difference after i installed mine. Experiencing both ways really makes you appreciate the spalsh guards.

I do not have mine painted. I was always interested in doing that but I have a black and white theme going anyway, so no need to get it done.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Racer

thanks for the replies everyone and thanks for the pics ken. your car looks nice. i'll let you all know what i decide regarding the painting of the mud/splash guards. i just picked up the car today and got the mudguards but asked them not to install them so they just left them in the box, sealed, which is the way i wanted them. this is gonna be a tough decision for me as i like everything looking clean. i'm prob gonna remove the rear emblems, just not sure if they are glued on or screwed in. if glue, then no problem, if screwed on, then i'm screwed into keeping them thanks again.

wil
Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
I have black guards on my WDP, and I've been thinking about going with either no guards at all or getting them in white; it was one of the first things I thought about modifying while I was driving home from the dealership. You can buy them pre-painted in you car's body color for pretty close to what it would cost to have them painted, so I'd just do that. I still haven't pulled the trigger yet one way or the other. I took my front guards off when I was doing my side marker mod, and I really liked the way they looked with them off. I do believe they help protect, so I'm kind of torn.

(click to enlarge)
Old 01-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
thanks for the replies everyone and thanks for the pics ken. your car looks nice. i'll let you all know what i decide regarding the painting of the mud/splash guards. i just picked up the car today and got the mudguards but asked them not to install them so they just left them in the box, sealed, which is the way i wanted them. this is gonna be a tough decision for me as i like everything looking clean. i'm prob gonna remove the rear emblems, just not sure if they are glued on or screwed in. if glue, then no problem, if screwed on, then i'm screwed into keeping them thanks again.

wil
looks cleaner w/o the guards, besides you will wanna get the a-spec kit and you cant have both...............rear emblems TL and ACURA are held on by adhesive, the center emblem has pins
Old 01-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by pohljm
looks cleaner w/o the guards, besides you will wanna get the a-spec kit and you cant have both...............rear emblems TL and ACURA are held on by adhesive, the center emblem has pins

Pohllm, thanks for the info on the rear emblems. I was searching the forum last night for this answer and couldn't find it. i can't wait til i have a nice above 32 degree day so i can detail it and remove those emblems.

what do you guys use to remove the emblems? in the past, i've used floss. not sure if anyone has a better method.

Wil
Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
take those suckers off!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I wanna go fast

the ones that are painted are better than the platic ones. I have the painted ones on mine, to match the color of the car
Old 01-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Pohllm, thanks for the info on the rear emblems. I was searching the forum last night for this answer and couldn't find it. i can't wait til i have a nice above 32 degree day so i can detail it and remove those emblems.

what do you guys use to remove the emblems? in the past, i've used floss. not sure if anyone has a better method.

Wil
saturate the back of the emblems with either goof-off or bug/tar remover then heat up with a blow dryer then use the floss, the heat really helps be careful if all you have is a heat gun, blow dryer works fine.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pohljm
saturate the back of the emblems with either goof-off or bug/tar remover then heat up with a blow dryer then use the floss, the heat really helps be careful if all you have is a heat gun, blow dryer works fine.

sounds good man, thanks. oh, and guess what? i just picked up the car last night and it snowed. and now i got home, the roads were clear, and i look out the window, and its snowing again. feels like i'm never gonna get good weather, lol.

Wil
Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Suzuka Master

sounds good man, thanks. oh, and guess what? i just picked up the car last night and it snowed. and now i got home, the roads were clear, and i look out the window, and its snowing again. feels like i'm never gonna get good weather, lol.

Wil
I have seen some pretty cool photos of the TL with a light dusting of snow covering it
Old 01-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KenUA6
I got the splash gaurds included with my deal,I do like it and I saw one guy in the forum had painted the splash gaurds to white and it look very nice ,but IMO I like it black better.

here is some picture

18" with 1.2" F&R drop

The black splash gaurds on the white tl look fine. I would worry that if you painted them white, they would chip and really look like crap.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Instructor

here is some picture

18" with 1.2" F&R drop

I like them.. Looks a little different from the others. Where did you get your Acurazine.com Stickers?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Go TL it on the mountain!

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
I've got the splash guards on my WDP. I think they look fine. I don't really notice them. Now, how effect they actually are at keeping water off the door is another question. I can have a beautifully clean TL and then drive through a puddle or a little water in the road and it gets all over the door, ruining the cleanliness. *shrug* I think their value is somewhat dubious but they came with the car when I bought it.
we've had little piddly snows here in PA the last couple of weeks and the salt trucks are out in full force. I had the flaps too, and I am happy to report I do not have salt marks all over my door (after getting the car washed, it is still clean after 2 separate slushy, salty mornings) and I drive on the PA turnpike every day.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Go TL it on the mountain!

Ken, the tint on your WDP is SEX. What kind is it? (OT)
Old 03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
9th Gear

WDP w/WDP Splash Guards?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I picked up my new 2007 TL WDP/w Ebony Interior on Saturday. The car didn't stay clean for long. I'm in NY and the roads were pretty wet with the salt, sand, etc. down from the last snowfall. Anyway, I was thinking about putting splash guards on the car. I really didn't care for the way they looked but I'm thinking that it may cut down on the dirt. The reviews are mixed, some say they help, others say they don't. I ordered a set off of ebay that are painted the same color as the car? Does anyone out there have a WDP with WDP splash guards? Do you think they will look bad on the car? I haven't had them installed yet. I'm 50/50 on whether to do it or not. I'm now second guessing whether I should have gone with the silver, which was my second choice. Any feedback and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by ezryder8
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I picked up my new 2007 TL WDP/w Ebony Interior on Saturday. The car didn't stay clean for long. I'm in NY and the roads were pretty wet with the salt, sand, etc. down from the last snowfall. Anyway, I was thinking about putting splash guards on the car. I really didn't care for the way they looked but I'm thinking that it may cut down on the dirt. The reviews are mixed, some say they help, others say they don't. I ordered a set off of ebay that are painted the same color as the car? Does anyone out there have a WDP with WDP splash guards? Do you think they will look bad on the car? I haven't had them installed yet. I'm 50/50 on whether to do it or not. I'm now second guessing whether I should have gone with the silver, which was my second choice. Any feedback and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I personally think that will look awesome and had been considering doing that to mine since the day I drove her off the lot. Turns out, I'm kind of getting into a couple other modifications at the moment, so what I ended up doing was just removing them altogether a couple weekends ago. I would like to see a picture of yours once you have them installed; you might persuade me to do mine in white, too!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I have WDp but only run the mud flaps in the winter. Up here they come standard on the front ..

One thing I advise id of you add them put them in place and outline them with a pencil then apply a strip of electrical tape to the fender 1/16" of an inch over the line.

If you don't your going to find the flexing of the mud flap wears the paint. You guys that have clean roads all year might not experience this.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

Whose WDP is that? I'm curious about the roof spoiler.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 07 TL, silver. I had the splush guards put on by the dealer. It was pre-painted to match body color.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostedJack
I have it on mine ASPEC
Splash guards need to be removed when installing the A-Spec kit since they mount at the same location. I was forced to do so when I installed mine. Let's see some pictures of how you modified this to work.

The splash guards for the '07 TL are color matched. Check it out at hondacuraworld.com.

Edit: Hold on, they've removed the picture. Let me check something...

Edit2: No picture, but the part is there: 2007 Acura TL Painted Splash Guards
Old 04-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Racer

Just wanted to report that i got the splashguards painted. I think it looks pretty good. If you look closely enough you can see that it isn't an exact match to the car's paint but thats because its plastic. Its the same way with the bumper. It bugs me a little but the average person can't tell. I'll post pics later on. Oh, and the fit looks off a tiny bit, hope it expands in time and fits a bit better. Overall, i'd give it an 8 out of 10.

btw, datmrman, i saw that they were selling them on hondacuraworld.com painted, but my dealer had already thrown these in for me, so i worked with what i had. I wish i'd known they were coming painted already on the 07's. I bet they game me 06 mudguards.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
If you look closely enough you can see that it isn't an exact match to the car's paint but thats because its plastic. Its the same way with the bumper. .
This part always bothers me .. how come it applies to Hondas/Acuras ... hundreds of other cars have plastic parts and they match. I detail all kinds of cars/trucks/ makes/ models and don't see it on them. My daughters Honda Ridgeline has missmatched plastic parts too.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Just wanted to report that i got the splashguards painted. I think it looks pretty good. If you look closely enough you can see that it isn't an exact match to the car's paint but thats because its plastic. Its the same way with the bumper. It bugs me a little but the average person can't tell. I'll post pics later on. Oh, and the fit looks off a tiny bit, hope it expands in time and fits a bit better. Overall, i'd give it an 8 out of 10.

btw, datmrman, i saw that they were selling them on hondacuraworld.com painted, but my dealer had already thrown these in for me, so i worked with what i had. I wish i'd known they were coming painted already on the 07's. I bet they game me 06 mudguards.
Is it "later on" yet? I want to see it!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Instructor

datmrman, can the 07 splash guard work on 04 Acura TL w/Aspec kit?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Advanced

HI, I FOUND THIS PIC ON THIS FORUM, I HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU A LITTLE. I HAVE AN WDP 07 TL-S AS WELL. AND I PERSONALLY LIKE IT WITH BLACK SPLASH GUARDS. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-05-2007, 03:24 PM
TFalis

I think you almost have to paint the guards if you have a WDP because the black SG's takes away from the uniformity.

They give WDP's a Honda DX look...(white car, black side view mirrors and black bumpers). Matching truly makes it look luxury IMO.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Spell TL
I think you almost have to paint the guards if you have a WDP because the black SG's takes away from the uniformity.

They give WDP's a Honda DX look...(white car, black side view mirrors and black bumpers). Matching truly makes it look luxury IMO.
That's a really interesting interpretation of what matching paint does to a car...it's actually almost exactly how I feel about it. That's pretty much what I was going for with my front end mod. I think I nailed it, but the congregation in general thinks otherwise! I'd be interested in seeing how you felt about it.

At any rate, I think in this case, splash guards on a "luxury car" -- if you will -- is kind of an oxymoron. I think if you're going to go with splash guards, then they need to be black because splash guards are inherently sporty. Having them be black enhances the sporty look. At first I thought I would like the look of matching splash guards, but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't look bad, though. I guess I still need to think about it. DOH!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM
TFalis

Originally Posted by brettallica
That's a really interesting interpretation of what matching paint does to a car...it's actually almost exactly how I feel about it. That's pretty much what I was going for with my front end mod. I think I nailed it, but the congregation in general thinks otherwise! I'd be interested in seeing how you felt about it.

At any rate, I think in this case, splash guards on a "luxury car" -- if you will -- is kind of an oxymoron. I think if you're going to go with splash guards, then they need to be black because splash guards are inherently sporty. Having them be black enhances the sporty look. At first I thought I would like the look of matching splash guards, but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't look bad, though. I guess I still need to think about it. DOH!
Based on your response if it were true...sporty looks cheap then, again my .

That's why so many of us with the 04-06 TL's are getting our guards colormatched like other makes and models because it looks better.

Acura sees these mods out here thats why they're matched for 07 and fog lights are in the grill now.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Here's more!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152766
Old 04-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Spell TL
Based on your response if it were true...sporty looks cheap then, again my .

That's why so many of us with the 04-06 TL's are getting our guards colormatched like other makes and models because it looks better.

Acura sees these mods out here thats why they're matched for 07 and fog lights are in the grill now.
Oh...no...I don't mean to say sporty looks cheap at all. Sorry if I wasn't clear and it was interpreted that way. I was trying to say that sporty and luxurious are two different looks, and not that one is necessarily better than the other.

I had the idea to change my splash guards to body color when I drove it off the lot. Now, after seeing a picture of a white TL with the splash guards in body color, I'm not 100% certain that I want that look. That's all I meant to say. I agree that, in general, accessories attached to the exterior of a car that are black and not body color give the car a "Honda Civic DX" look, like you said earlier.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by blue96813
datmrman, can the 07 splash guard work on 04 Acura TL w/Aspec kit?
Like I said above, its either or. Either you have splash guards or you have the A-Spec full body kit.

Details here: Splash/Mud Guards with Body Kit

The workaround is to have A-Spec front lip only. This will allow you to keep the splash guards.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Instructor

I had the splash guards added to our TL, just got the black ones, but our TL is the Charcoal Gray so they blend pretty well.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FriscoNick
The black splash gaurds on the white tl look fine. I would worry that if you painted them white, they would chip and really look like crap.
yepp, when i had my accord repainted with a blue pearl, i had them do the splash guards... they started to chip and it looked hirrible..
Old 04-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Racer

hi

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
This part always bothers me .. how come it applies to Hondas/Acuras ... hundreds of other cars have plastic parts and they match. I detail all kinds of cars/trucks/ makes/ models and don't see it on them. My daughters Honda Ridgeline has missmatched plastic parts too.

hey Jesstzn, how are you? I"m a part time detailer myself "www.amayanet.com" and i have noticed this on other cars as well. I did a white IS250 the other day and it was off a bit. it's unfortunately noticeable on my TL. I'll try to post up pics when i get a chance.

Quick Reply: WDP TL with black splash guards?