Sponsored by:

Waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Waxing?

Not sure where to post.

Believe it or not, I have NEVER waxed any of the cars that I have owned. I fear that I will end up doing more harm than good, but I have seen pics on here or waxed cars and they look amazing, I guess i'll eventually try to wax my TL.....carefully. My TL stays in the garage so it still looks pretty new, but I think it may be time for a wax. I have had it since last November.

My question is; is it hard to do, what exactly do I need. And do you have to remove the wax later on. I have a Megauairs Dual Action Polisher BTW.

I heard Megauirs NXT is really good, any other suggestions?

any difference between a wax and polish?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a $30K, then waxing is a must. It protects the paint from natures harmful environment. Also it leaves a glossy shine. If you love your car and care for it than do it. Cars that have not been waxed will have the dull paint look. Also it will collect dust particles, tree sap, tar etc. on the paint which will be hard to remove. If you wax your car at least twice a month then you will be ok. I usually add car polish and then use Megauirs NXT on top of that. Caranuba was is more protective, but I like the Megauirs NXT since it last longer and is more shiny. Since you have Megauairs Dual Action Polisher then it should cut your time in half.

Oh yeah read the directions how to use and remove.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm Baaack!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're in luck .. there's a whole forum dedicated to just this type of a question .. check it out!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
Not sure where to post.

Believe it or not, I have NEVER waxed any of the cars that I have owned. I fear that I will end up doing more harm than good, but I have seen pics on here or waxed cars and they look amazing, I guess i'll eventually try to wax my TL.....carefully. My TL stays in the garage so it still looks pretty new, but I think it may be time for a wax. I have had it since last November.

My question is; is it hard to do, what exactly do I need. And do you have to remove the wax later on. I have a Megauairs Dual Action Polisher BTW.

I heard Megauirs NXT is really good, any other suggestions?

any difference between a wax and polish?
Maintaining you car is a must and no it isn't hard to do. Just need to commit some time to do it. As Brewmaster said the Wash & Wax forum has a lot of info and it is worth reading. Another good source of info is Autopia. the how to page is well detailed and and also provides product recommendations.

Yes, there is a difference between wax and polish. Polishing will remove oxidation and minor imperfections from the surface, old wax, will rejuvenate and clean the paint for the last step, waxing. Waxing is the final layer of protection and acts as a barrier against the environment and nature.

A lot of folks use and like NXT, but there are other products available and no doubt you'll hear about them. As far as recommedations, I've usd Megs, Klasse and Four Star. As mentioned above, visit the W&W forum and see what the other folks are using and how they like it.