Sponsored by:

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warranty Question

Wusssssup!!! New TL owner here

Got my new TL Monday nte---- auto/navi/anthracite+ A-SPEC! This ride is sweeeeet! I just got it tinted and was at school on Wed. when some wannabe poser in a modded IS starts giving me crap about FWD, tork steer-- whatever! He's got 4 of his friends with him and they start going off about how I couldn't even do donuts in the TL. The driver (who's a total tool) shows off his IS and does a couple of spins in the parking lot. i know its kinda hard to do donuts in a FWD but I've been to driving school and I know I have a lot more skills than you're average driver. so I floor the TL and get up to about 40 (i luv this engine!!!!) I lay on the e-break and the tail goes out and I get into a nice spin. I punch up the engine but there must have been something wrong with the accellerator 'cause the car didn't go straight and it clipped the back of some pice of crap pickup. I am so pissed!

so now the TL's got a small dent and scratch on the rear bumper. I am SOOOO peeved that the traction control obviously doesn't work but i still like the car. I don't want to tell my parents that the car is defective so I'm thinking of just getting the bumper fixed under warranty...do you guys think I should make the dealer fix the bumper or should i just return the car?
The following users liked this post:
tlsslt (04-30-2013)
Old 10-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tl_luvva

Got my new TL Monday nte---- auto/navi/anthracite+ A-SPEC! This ride is sweeeeet! I just got it tinted and was at school on Wed. when some wannabe poser in a modded IS starts giving me crap about FWD, tork steer-- whatever! He's got 4 of his friends with him and they start going off about how I couldn't even do donuts in the TL. The driver (who's a total tool) shows off his IS and does a couple of spins in the parking lot. i know its kinda hard to do donuts in a FWD but I've been to driving school and I know I have a lot more skills than you're average driver. so I floor the TL and get up to about 40 (i luv this engine!!!!) I lay on the e-break and the tail goes out and I get into a nice spin. I punch up the engine but there must have been something wrong with the accellerator 'cause the car didn't go straight and it clipped the back of some pice of crap pickup. I am so pissed!

so now the TL's got a small dent and scratch on the rear bumper. I am SOOOO peeved that the traction control obviously doesn't work but i still like the car. I don't want to tell my parents that the car is defective so I'm thinking of just getting the bumper fixed under warranty...do you guys think I should make the dealer fix the bumper or should i just return the car?
Umm...I think u had an accident and if anyone your insurance company should be the one fixing ur car...I am not sure if the dealer will take it back.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok first off welcome. Second I can't say you didn't deserve what happened because you did. You acted like a total asshat and a tool like you called the other guy. Next traction control did work that's why there was no power when you punched the gas. If you had turned it off you could have acted even dumber but actually had some control over the car. Traction control usually closes the throttle plate as well as brakes in order to get the car back under control.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Instructor

new ride

If this is a real post, is this what we have come down to???? Posts like this make me crazy........
Old 10-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Ok first off welcome. Second I can't say you didn't deserve what happened because you did. You acted like a total asshat and a tool like you called the other guy. Next traction control did work that's why there was no power when you punched the gas. If you had turned it off you could have acted even dumber but actually had some control over the car. Traction control usually closes the throttle plate as well as brakes in order to get the car back under control.
ok, i KNOW that you'r thinking I'm some stupid high schooler but i KNOW how to drive and I've done tons of donuts in other cars. I know how to spin a car and I've driven cars with traction control and know how they work (my dad's 645). i think there's definitely something wrong with the traction control in my TL and if it had been working the TL woudn't have hit the truck. so I really think that the dealer should have to fix the bumper under warranty AND fix the traction control.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Now with i-Vtec

ok, i KNOW that you'r thinking I'm some stupid high schooler but i KNOW how to drive and I've done tons of donuts in other cars. I know how to spin a car and I've driven cars with traction control and know how they work (my dad's 645). i think there's definitely something wrong with the traction control in my TL and if it had been working the TL woudn't have hit the truck. so I really think that the dealer should have to fix the bumper under warranty AND fix the traction control.

Traction control works a bit different in every vehicle and obviously per manufacturer. Plus you are talking about a RWD car vs. the FWD TL. Obviously they are going to handle differently. The TL has VSA and it cuts power no matter how hard you press that gas pedal and brakes at the same time. EVERY car is different in how they handle and drive. Just because you can do it in other cars doesn't mean your new TL will do it as well. There is nothing wrong with it. There however is something wrong with you I believe
Old 10-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

That was a bonehead thing to do ... and Acura shouldn't pay a dime to fix it. You may think you know how to drive, but you don't know how to make decisions.

You're not going to find any sympathy here.

Welcome to the TL club though. Just be smarter with it in the future.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Life's like a box of chocolates....

So is the point that the car should be wiser than the driver?

"Dear Acura,

Your car is stupid. It let me drive into a tree. Give me a new one."

Old 10-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TampaMike
Life's like a box of chocolates....

So is the point that the car should be wiser than the driver?

"Dear Acura,

Your car is stupid. It let me drive into a tree. Give me a new one."

your missing my point!! there was nothing wrong with me doing donuts in the TL. i've done them MANY times before and I know how to do them safely. I did not drive the car into a tree! it's only because the traction control wasn't working right that the car hit the back of the truck. it's the same thing if the brakes didn't work? are you telling me that if my brakes failed I couldn't go to acura and tell them that they had to fix the car if it got wrecked?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Racer

I can only think of one person missing the point. Good luck with the Acura claim.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Now with i-Vtec

I can only think of one person missing the point. Good luck with the Acura claim.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:47 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LMAO is the only response I'll give.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't agree more. Doing donuts is not normal operation of the car. Acura is not going to fix your problem. I suggest you tell your parents and then file a claim with your insurance company if you can't afford to fix it out of your own pocket. You are one of the reasons that we have discussions around here about teenagers not deserving cars like the TL.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Instructor

donuts

I did not drive the car into a tree!
Please accept my apology. I am sorry. I thought you were driving the car, but apparantly someone else was driving your tl, because you said you did not drive the car into a tree. I would get the person who was driving your car, and contact either their parents, or their insurance company, and have the police fill out an affadavit, of the incident. Did the person who was driving the car, have your permission to do doughnuts in a parking lot, where they woulde be endangering other people as well as other peoples property. I would definately sue the person who drove your tl into a tree. You must be very pissed, I would be to. I think you need to talk some sense into who ever drove that car into a tree.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Shouldn't be a problem. Just tell the dealer you were doing donuts, the traction control didn't work as expected and, as a result, you lost control and hit a pickup trunk. They'll gladly repair it under warranty.

Might be time to start having an intelligence test for joining this site!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Instructor

tests

Originally Posted by bluenose
Shouldn't be a problem. Just tell the dealer you were doing donuts, the traction control didn't work as expected and, as a result, you lost control and hit a pickup trunk. They'll gladly repair it under warranty.

Might be time to start having an intelligence test for joining this site!
Oh No. I hate tests. Will there be a study guide? Fill in, multiple choice, t or f, or essays? I prefer essays if possible. Easier to get around not knowing the answers.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by flatfoot
Please accept my apology. I am sorry. I thought you were driving the car, but apparantly someone else was driving your tl, because you said you did not drive the car into a tree. I would get the person who was driving your car, and contact either their parents, or their insurance company, and have the police fill out an affadavit, of the incident. Did the person who was driving the car, have your permission to do doughnuts in a parking lot, where they woulde be endangering other people as well as other peoples property. I would definately sue the person who drove your tl into a tree. You must be very pissed, I would be to. I think you need to talk some sense into who ever drove that car into a tree.
no, no, no. I was driving the car. The car hit a truck because the traction control didn't work. There was no tree!

I really don't want to tell my parents about the accident because they'll think that the TL is defective and they will sell it. I think it makes more sense for me just go take it back to the dealer and swap it out with another antacite TL that doesnt have a bad traction control system. I can just tell them that the traction control failed and caused me to hit something. i remember from a post a while ago that if it's been less than 3 days, they have to take the car back.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no, no, no. I was driving the car. The car hit a truck because the traction control didn't work. There was no tree!

I really don't want to tell my parents about the accident because they'll think that the TL is defective and they will sell it. I think it makes more sense for me just go take it back to the dealer and swap it out with another antacite TL that doesnt have a bad traction control system. I can just tell them that the traction control failed and caused me to hit something. i remember from a post a while ago that if it's been less than 3 days, they have to take the car back.

Unfortunately I think it's your thought process that's defective and not the car. The dealership is not going to buy your line of BS. They will want to know what you did to make the traction control kick in. And your parents shouldn't be that stupid not to question how you got into an accident. Any sane parent of an 18 year old would know to question the actions of said 18 year old in the event of an accident before concluding the car is defective.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Ask the dealer and see how it goes. Just demo the traction control problem to the tech. Let us know the outcome.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Racer

Talking

Stop it! please!!! I CAN'T BREATH!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Bluenose, I think you might be right about intelligence test after this response to my post. Just doesnt get it.... This cant be real. No one can be this thick, unless hes like one of the hilton girls and their cohorts.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:43 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Not for nothing, and if this post, on the slimest of chancers may be real. But are you kidding????!!! No dealer is going to swap out any car for that story. You had an accident, your fault, chaulk it up to stupidty and testosterone. As far as not telling your parents because they might think the car is defective. Your 18, an adult, don't go to your parents, don't go to us, your insurance agent is your next adult choice.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

NO, No, No... YOU HIT THE TRUCK BECAUSE YOU WERE BEING AN IDIOT!!! Not because of faulty traction control!!

I will agree with you on this: There was probably no tree
Old 10-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by flatfoot
No one can be this thick,
No One? Have you read the "200 MPH TL" thread? That's a winner..
Old 10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by AMIC
Unfortunately I think it's your thought process that's defective and not the car. The dealership is not going to buy your line of BS. They will want to know what you did to make the traction control kick in. And your parents shouldn't be that stupid not to question how you got into an accident. Any sane parent of an 18 year old would know to question the actions of said 18 year old in the event of an accident before concluding the car is defective.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I think he lacks something called reading comprehension as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Instructor

can someboby tell me if you can really do donuts on a TL using the e-brake?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:04 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

This just keeps getting better

According to the owners manual. Donuts can only be performed with the A-spec emblem in place on the trunk lid.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:23 PM

bro, you got them beat by doing wheelies in reverse! Try it out!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

well this is how the forum has changed... so much dum crap...

and if it is true... it goes to show you that having some money does not mean the person has any brains...
Old 10-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cjhurtado2
can someboby tell me if you can really do donuts on a TL using the e-brake?

Yes, but you need to hold the brake, hit the gas, pay the girl at krispy kreme, and stuff the donut in to your mouth... all at the same time w/ the VSA turned off...
Old 10-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Racer

this can't possibly be real
Old 10-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Cruisin'

Ok, I tried calling my insurance guy like you guys suggested but he said I would have to pay a $500 "deductible" and that he would have to tell my parents if I wanted to make a claim. I don't want to do that so I think I'm just going to take the car back to the dealer and have them swap it out with a new one. I drove by there yesterday and saw a couple of anthracites so I don't think it will be a problem.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:19 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

This has to be a joke. It simply can't be real.

If it is though, the kid's the defective product and they should sell him.

This is embarrassing to decent, intelligent 18-year-olds, though. They ARE out there. I can't believe this thread. Please, mods, ban him.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Ok, I tried calling my insurance guy like you guys suggested but he said I would have to pay a $500 "deductible" and that he would have to tell my parents if I wanted to make a claim. I don't want to do that so I think I'm just going to take the car back to the dealer and have them swap it out with a new one. I drove by there yesterday and saw a couple of anthracites so I don't think it will be a problem.
Are you serious. I guess you are that dumb. Just curious which dealership did you buy it from in the first place? Obviously you aren't getting the point here.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Good luck man. Acura doesn't fix legitimate claims.....ie. leather issues, rattles,etc. I doubt tehy swap your car for another one. but good luck. let us know how it goes.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Certified Hater

No way this is real...

I've been laughing out loud for the last 5 minutes... people around my office gathered around and started reading, now everyone is rolling.. this is TOO funny.. I would have given anything to have been there.. especially to see the faces of those kids in the IS when your TL magically bumped into a truck (which probably had no business being there)
Old 10-13-2005, 03:34 PM
AVB for President!

Trade? The hell? They won't do that unless there's a legitimate problem, which in this case, there is not.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:36 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

There IS a legitimate problem, but it isn't with the car.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:51 PM

LOL. if it has your parents name on the insurance, then the title is on their name too. they would have to sign the papers to change VIN numbers and all. Its not your local gameboy shop where you can make an exchange. Put on your football gear before you tell your parents. Good luck bro and give us the hospital address you will be staying at so we can send some get well balloons and flowers.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Racer

u should absolutely go back to the dealer. i would go right to the Svc Dpt mngr or General mngr and duplicate the spin for him on a test drive. if the traction control problem happens again thenn the dealer personel will be able to fully verify the problem. the Acura factory will pay for repairs to whatever other cars might be involved after the dealer personel verifies the traction control problem.

if you can't duplicate it w/ them in your car, ask if you can try one of thir demos.

if this doesn't work, i would set up an appt w/ your insurance co.s inspector, and duplicate the problem for them. the insurance co. will most certainly authorize replacement of your obviously defective TL, and then bill Acura.

-let us know-
-keep us posted-

just trying to help thin the herd

Quick Reply: Warranty Question