Sponsored by:

Want to trade my '04 Max for '04 TL help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to trade my '04 Max for '04 TL help please

Hi All,

I currently own a '04 Maxima and am thinking about trrading it in for the TL. I just test drive the TL and its awesome, blows the Max away for the most part. I have some questions...

Does the TL have any major problems, I heard the Tranny is crappy. My max has had some issued, I guess all new generations do. If so what are the problems? Are most users happy?

ALso, what kind of deal should I be looking for? I was at the dealer and need to go back Monday to evaluate my car. They dont have any on the lot, and say they are selling so fast. Im thinking that they are just waiting for the '05's but who knows? Is it possible to get invoice? Im looking at auto without navigation, unless its cheap to get with nav. Im hoping to get kbb value on my max and mayne only pay a couple k for the new TL. I have 14k miles on the max with every option but XM and NAV.

Also, where are the '05's? Are there any major changes? Should I wait for those? will those affect the '04 prices?

Also, are there any vin #'s I should be aware of? I know the early max's had the most issues.

Thanks very much!
Old 08-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe the major issues have been worked out throughout the production year, I would wait till the 05 just to be safe (just a couple months)

Auto without navi you can get very close to invoice if not at invoice. Nav is hard to get a hold of, but if i were you, i would read around the things that people have done with the navi, just so you dont regret not getting it in the future.

I hope you realize that trading in an 04 maxima, you are going to lose A LOT of money.

04's should go down in price when 05's are released...

There will probably be no major changes in the 05'... they will probably have fixed any issues that existed with the 04, and because the redesigned rl is coming out they want to save all the cool things for that car.

The early tl's also had problems so if you get an 04, make sure it has a VERY late build date.

Welcome to the forums :-D

Good luck
Old 08-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Banned

never buy a first year car model , you will reget it when the newer ones come out! they need your money to fix their mistakes, ( i wish this rule of thumb worked with the automatics). the 6 speed is not really for a four door car, unless its like a econobox. but thats just my opinion, and everybody has one!
Old 08-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_RI
Hi All,

I currently own a '04 Maxima and am thinking about trrading it in for the TL. I just test drive the TL and its awesome, blows the Max away for the most part. I have some questions...

Does the TL have any major problems, I heard the Tranny is crappy. My max has had some issued, I guess all new generations do. If so what are the problems? Are most users happy?

ALso, what kind of deal should I be looking for? I was at the dealer and need to go back Monday to evaluate my car. They dont have any on the lot, and say they are selling so fast. Im thinking that they are just waiting for the '05's but who knows? Is it possible to get invoice? Im looking at auto without navigation, unless its cheap to get with nav. Im hoping to get kbb value on my max and mayne only pay a couple k for the new TL. I have 14k miles on the max with every option but XM and NAV.

Also, where are the '05's? Are there any major changes? Should I wait for those? will those affect the '04 prices?

Also, are there any vin #'s I should be aware of? I know the early max's had the most issues.

Thanks very much!

The end of first year car will have similar build quality as the early 2nd year model, especially if 2nd year model has no significant change.

"Don't buy 1st year model" is often the oath for the early build or the 1st year model of less production vehicles. For 04TL, you have lost your chance to buy the REAL "1st year model".

Crappy tranny. but I have to agree Infiniti and Nissan have great tranny.

05 info is mystery now, you could check sticky thread about 05TL. 1~2 weeks later, you will know more.

About VIN, always get newer one, now it should be around 65xxx~70xxx.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by laserbeamtypeS
never buy a first year car model , you will reget it when the newer ones come out! they need your money to fix their mistakes, ( i wish this rule of thumb worked with the automatics). the 6 speed is not really for a four door car, unless its like a econobox. but thats just my opinion, and everybody has one!
the 6MT option is one of the greatest features on the TL. i would not have bought the car if it did not offer it as an option. its just so much fun to drive.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:56 PM
2nd Gear

Hmmm, thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I shouldnt waste trading in the 1st gen max and losing more money on another 1st gen max. Maybe I should wait for the 05 TL. The TL is just so much nicer than the max though. Im so dumb because for some reason I had my mind set on the Max, efore I knew about the TL. Oh well I guess you live and learn. Maybe I should just wait. Thanks guys.