Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Want to change my plugs at 64,000 miles advice

the iridium are expensive will the ngk platinums work please help
Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The OEM plugs are definitely expensive. But, OEM plugs are the best plugs for our cars. They're worth the cost.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Order your plugs from advanced auto parts online then add 1 packet of anti-seize then enter the promo code BIG25. You'll get $25 off your order and you can pick up your order at the closest store near u
Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
You do know your plugs are rates for 105,000 miles, right? That's why they're so expensive. There's no need to change them at 64,000, you've got a while.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
You do know your plugs are rates for 105,000 miles, right? That's why they're so expensive. There's no need to change them at 64,000, you've got a while.
if you are trying to go for the max life, you can almost always feel a difference with changing them early, especially at idle
Old 01-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Sure, but 40,000 miles in advance? Not getting anywhere near your money's worth, and any effects as far as engine life are concerned would only be noticeable at super-high mileage, as in 250k+, if that. Haven't heard of a TL failing because spark plugs weren't changed early.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:56 PM
B A N N E D

Sure, but 40,000 miles in advance? Not getting anywhere near your money's worth, and any effects as far as engine life are concerned would only be noticeable at super-high mileage, as in 250k+, if that. Haven't heard of a TL failing because spark plugs weren't changed early.
not so much about reliability (and even a brand new motor, you could feel it if you put in say used plugs; and even more so too, due to not being worn and having higher compression, causeing more "stress" on the plugs) but for being in tip-top shape, and achieving max performance

and money worth's i would say about 90k seems to be the tradeoff, but some people are willing to spend a little more to maintain it in tip-top shape
Old 01-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I changed mine pretty early (80k miles) and very glad that I did.

I definitely felt the difference.

I used OEM spark plugs bought from the dealer.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

OP seems more concerned with cost than with perfect operation. In his case I'd say keep 'em, especially if the alternative is cheaper plugs.

FWIW I didn't really feel much of a difference when I changed my Iridiums.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 PM
B A N N E D

OP seems more concerned with cost than with perfect operation. In his case I'd say keep 'em, especially if the alternative is cheaper plugs.

FWIW I didn't really feel much of a difference when I changed my Iridiums.
in that case YES

and as far as you feeling a difference, some people are more "in tune" with the car, and what it is doing and how it is running
Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I guess so, part of it might be the trans fluid and oil change that were done at the same time. I just expected it to run better anyways, couldn't pinpoint the spark plugs as the reason
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 PM
B A N N E D

there are times, there will be a huge difference in how it runs and such, and the owner will say they did not even notice anything
Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
I guess so, part of it might be the trans fluid and oil change that were done at the same time. I just expected it to run better anyways, couldn't pinpoint the spark plugs as the reason
Originally Posted by friesm2000
there are times, there will be a huge difference in how it runs and such, and the owner will say they did not even notice anything
Most of it just depends on how the car has been treated in that past 60K or 90K or 105K. If folks fill up with 93 octane and keep the car's services on time (30K air filters, oil changes on time, etc) the plugs should have a minimal difference when replaced even at 105K. But if your putting 87 octane in and beating on the car constantly and not doing maintainance on time, then you probably are going to feel a big difference taking out worn, fouled up plugs out and putting in nice clean ones.

To the OP, Stick with the iridium tips; with platinum people have reported them lasting only 30K and as well giving poor fuel economy. One member had a CEL come on a while back. Furthermore, stick with NGK, Bosch ones for sure will throw a CEL and the Denso Plugs simply suck. You'd be lucky if the lasted 10K in the TL.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:04 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
I changed mine at 106K. Can't tell one bit of difference. And yes, I'm very in tune with my engine...

Pull a plug or two and look at them. From my experience if they look like the ones in my picture, you're wasting your money. But if you insist, stick with the OEM plugs.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 01-23-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts

Boy you're stepping on thin ice with this crowd and I agree 100,000, is no problem for the OE Iridium plugs and there will be no improvement in performance when changing the plugs, unless one is fouled and not igniting, but for a normal running engine, no improvement.

From the NGK site:

Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?

A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dinks07
the iridium are expensive will the ngk platinums work please help
Yes the NGK platinum plugs will be cheaper and you can use them. Actually you can use a $2 or $3 plug and they will do the same job, just have to change out more often. I changed the spark plugs in my car at 88,000 miles and am glad I did. In fact I wish I had replaced them sooner. I like to know whats going on in the engines and changing out the plugs sooner will allow me to monitor things better.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Racer

no looking for performance bought the car used 2 owner and going threw it just gonna do the ngk r thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I also subscribe to the fact that with a high energy ignition system, changing the plugs will result in no appreciable difference unless a plug was broken. I'm leaving mine in til 105,000 miles as recommended in the manual. These cars are so over-engineered that it makes no sense to spend money early to fix what doesn't need to be fixed. In the days of cars with points and condenser, which was a long time ago, you could feel a difference with changing parts of the ignition system, but these days, not at all. It's almost the same as when people change their oil and can feel a difference in how the car runs. The truth is that the car runs exactly the same.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I also subscribe to the fact that with a high energy ignition system, changing the plugs will result in no appreciable difference unless a plug was broken. I'm leaving mine in til 105,000 miles as recommended in the manual. These cars are so over-engineered that it makes no sense to spend money early to fix what doesn't need to be fixed. In the days of cars with points and condenser, which was a long time ago, you could feel a difference with changing parts of the ignition system, but these days, not at all. It's almost the same as when people change their oil and can feel a difference in how the car runs. The truth is that the car runs exactly the same.
Didn't realize there was another member of the team as I thought we'd be in for another battle.
I've posted this before, but due to my neglect, I didn't replace the OE plugs in the daughter's Maxima until 141,000 miles, no problems before, ran the same afterwards, and yes, they were the OE plugs as she purchased the car @ 27,000 miles.

Save your money unless one wants to pull plugs every 10k to see what they look like??????????????????????
Old 01-23-2011, 11:18 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by csmeance
Most of it just depends on how the car has been treated in that past 60K or 90K or 105K. If folks fill up with 93 octane and keep the car's services on time (30K air filters, oil changes on time, etc) the plugs should have a minimal difference when replaced even at 105K. But if your putting 87 octane in and beating on the car constantly and not doing maintainance on time, then you probably are going to feel a big difference taking out worn, fouled up plugs out and putting in nice clean ones.

To the OP, Stick with the iridium tips; with platinum people have reported them lasting only 30K and as well giving poor fuel economy. One member had a CEL come on a while back. Furthermore, stick with NGK, Bosch ones for sure will throw a CEL and the Denso Plugs simply suck. You'd be lucky if the lasted 10K in the TL.
normally the plugs are overdue, and i notice a difference but the owner does not

as far as Bosch plugs, the ones that come stock in german cars and such, not so much (and even then i think they have started to switch to Denso or NGK on quite a few of them), but aftermarket wise though, indeed they do suck ass

Denso's they are basically even or better then NGK, especially on certain application (ie: Toyota's)(which may not be ours)

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I changed mine at 106K. Can't tell one bit of difference. And yes, I'm very in tune with my engine...

Pull a plug or two and look at them. From my experience if they look like the ones in my picture, you're wasting your money. But if you insist, stick with the OEM plugs.

yes they look "good", but what about the electrode gap, more then likely bigger then spec allows (look at how it even compares to the new one, quite a bit bigger by the looks of it)(and plug tips like that don't really show wear compared to the one's with bigger electrode)

also you realize that those brown marks on the porcelain, is combustion gases seeping past the "seal/metal piece" (idk what else to call it ) (and it looks like traces of oil from a leaking valve cover, on the fourth plug over)

Originally Posted by Turbonut

Boy you're stepping on thin ice with this crowd and I agree 100,000, is no problem for the OE Iridium plugs and there will be no improvement in performance when changing the plugs, unless one is fouled and not igniting, but for a normal running engine, no improvement.

From the NGK site:

A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.
the key bit of info

Last edited by friesm2000; 01-23-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut

From the NGK site:

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I have to subscribe to the "leave 'em in camp" as well.

OP, if you want to do something positive for the performance and longevity of your car and haven't already done so, I'd recommend making the switch to a good synthetic oil like Redline or Amsoil, or if you're looking for a local, readily available choice, Mobil 1 Extended Performance. It'll be a wiser use of your money, imo.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Race Director

...yes they look "good", but what about the electrode gap, more then likely bigger then spec allows (look at how it even compares to the new one, quite a bit bigger by the looks of it)(and plug tips like that don't really show wear compared to the one's with bigger electrode)...
Nope, gap is perfect on the old plugs. I could not a fit 0.045" feeler gauge in any of the old plugs.

....also you realize that those brown marks on the porcelain, is combustion gases seeping past the "seal/metal piece" (idk what else to call it...)
Sorry, afraid I must wave the BS flag on that one. If that was blow by, you'd expect the ends of my coils would be scored as well and they weren't. FYI, every picture of any plug pulled from a TL that I've ever seen shows the same brown ring/s. My old plugs were all well seated/torqued.

(and it looks like traces of oil from a leaking valve cover, on the fourth plug over)
Doubt it, but possible that spark plug seal had a micro leak. In 106.5K miles and 14 oil changes, I never added a single drop of oil between my 7500 mile interval oil changes. In fact, the level never even reached 1/2 quart low on the "stick".

That's the #4 cylinder. If at 210K miles, the #4 plug looks the same, I may consider replacing that seal

Last edited by nfnsquared; 01-23-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Nope, gap is perfect on the old plugs. I could not a fit 0.045" feeler gauge in any of the old plugs.

Sorry, afraid I must wave the BS flag on that one. If that was blow by, you'd expect the ends of my coils would be scored as well and they weren't. FYI, every picture of any plug pulled from a TL that I've ever seen shows the same brown ring/s. My old plugs were all well seated/torqued.

Doubt it, but possible that spark plug seal had a micro leak. In 106.5K miles and 14 oil changes, I never added a single drop of oil between my 7500 mile interval oil changes. In fact, the level never even reached 1/2 quart low on the "stick".

That's the #4 cylinder. If at 210K miles, the #4 plug looks the same, I may consider replacing that seal
sure looks bigger though...

it's not the threads which are blowing by, but between the components of the plug itself (and if you think about it the coil still sits above where those brown marks are, so the reason for not scorching your coils, they are higher up)

and oil in #4, it still has traces of oil though, may not be much, but still does (otherwise explain why no others have the brown on them at the hex section)(and it may only be a single drop every oil change, but still some leaking)
and here is another question for you, did you also adjust the valves for the 105k service? which would mean removing the valve covers, and replacing seals as standard practice (which would include that seal )
Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Race Director

sure looks bigger though...

it's not the threads which are blowing by, but between the components of the plug itself (and if you think about it the coil still sits above where those brown marks are, so the reason for not scorching your coils, they are higher up)

and oil in #4, it still has traces of oil though, may not be much, but still does (otherwise explain why no others have the brown on them at the hex section)(and it may only be a single drop every oil change, but still some leaking)
and here is another question for you, did you also adjust the valves for the 105k service? which would mean removing the valve covers, and replacing seals as standard practice (which would include that seal )

The ends of the coils butt right up to that brown ring, so you'd think that they would be brown as well, but they weren't.

And...for reference, here's a pic of Majofo's spark plugs (from his DIY timing belt thread). Same brown rings. Guess we got us an epidemic on our hands, someone call a doctor

Yep, did the valves and bought new seals, but woumd up not using them because all the original seals were in pristine condition...another reason I'm skeptical that that indicates a leak...We'll know in another 104K miles

Last edited by nfnsquared; 01-23-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

The brown ring is nothing more than an electrical charge that is between the porcelain and metal. Dirt and oil mist is being attracted towards the spark plug by the electro-static effect of the high voltages. No worries.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:50 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is exactly what I did, although there is no brick and mortar store within 100 miles of where I live, so I had to get this shipped to me instead.

$48.22 after shipping and tax -- what a steal!

Comes out to $8.04/plug. Can't complain here!

Originally Posted by boomersooner02000
Order your plugs from advanced auto parts online then add 1 packet of anti-seize then enter the promo code BIG25. You'll get $25 off your order and you can pick up your order at the closest store near u
Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Racer

Went with the ngk iridiums and got them for 7 dollars each not bad worth it to me
Old 01-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed mine at 80,000 miles, after I had the car for 4,000 miles. I'm not sure if I could tell a difference, but its piece of mind maintenance. I would say 64,000 may be early, and definitely don't downgrade the plugs. Put the same thing in as what came out, which is NGK Laser Iridium plugs.

PS: Did other members torque them down to factory spec?