Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSA System Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 04:02 PM
VTEC HoooA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSA System Failure

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a persistent VSA failure on the 04 TL. My VSA system is failing each and every time I get into the car and now Acura is telling me that they cannot find a stored error code in the car's computer (umm design issues in the computer system are not my problem). While I love the new 'feature' of not having to turn the VSA off manually (I know some of you would really enjoy this) I am of the opinion that this is a safety hazard!? What I find to be more than coincidental is that this issue only started occurring after I took the car in for the B service. During that service appt they also swapped out the wheels as well (long story). I simply find it very odd that immediately after an appointment in which they check the car out and swap the wheels that I now have a persistent VSA failure.

What troubles me more is the lax attitude Acura is taking on this issue. Another service win for Acura
Old 04-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
One of the causes of VSA failure has been a bad wheel sensor.

From the 3G Garage:

D-046: Wheel sensor may affect your VSA?
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107892
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/anyone-eles-drunk-wen-thur-night-111004/
Old 04-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If by failure, you mean that the VSA light stays on after its initial check, then I would expect that any competent dealer to be able to trouble shoot the system. I agree that the VSA is a safety issue and not having it fixed is unacceptable. FWIW, Car and Drive had an interesting editorial a couple months ago extolling the virtues of VSA systems. Might be time to find a more responsive/competent service department.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Advanced

I'm sorry, but it is NOT a safety issue!!! if the VSA not coming on was actually a safety issue then every front wheel car on the road that does not have a computer controlled stability system would be a SAFETY hazard.. Including the Honda Accord sedan V6 which not have it.

Lets keep a little perspective people...

Yes it is unacceptable that the dealer cannot fix it.. if they continue to give you the run around, call Honda directly.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HiG4s
I'm sorry, but it is NOT a safety issue!!! if the VSA not coming on was actually a safety issue then every front wheel car on the road that does not have a computer controlled stability system would be a SAFETY hazard.. Including the Honda Accord sedan V6 which not have it.

Yes it is unacceptable that the dealer cannot fix it.. if they continue to give you the run around, call Honda directly.
^^ agreed while it isn't really a "safety" issue it is completly unacceptable!! I wouldn't stop fighting till you get this taken care of, you bought a car with vsa and it is unacceptable that the dealer has to f it up.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Here's a brilliant idea. Go to a different dealership.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

!!!

VSA if it helps keep the car on the road is a safety feature. DUH so you do not lose control of the car as easily as you could with it disabled.

LOL yeah perspective says it is a piece of crap... The dealer cannot fix what acura does not tell them how to fix. And we bought the car so we do not have to be the ones to fix it. I get paid for doing that at a job and not for acura.

I will not buy another one till the fix their mess
Old 04-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mickey3c
VSA if it helps keep the car on the road is a safety feature. DUH so you do not lose control of the car as easily as you could with it disabled.

LOL yeah perspective says it is a piece of crap... The dealer cannot fix what acura does not tell them how to fix. And we bought the car so we do not have to be the ones to fix it. I get paid for doing that at a job and not for acura.

I will not buy another one till the fix their mess
yea it is a "feature" signifying it isn't completly nessicary, not a hazard or issue. Regardless it needs to be fixed.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:32 AM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Here's a brilliant idea. Go to a different dealership.
Ron A - Thanks for the posts, very informative (tried search but it didn't pull these for some reason). I will be taking these to the dealer ASAP. Why they don't read these forums is a mystery to me.

Pure - While I do see your point, I don't feel that I should have to drive 55 minutes out of my way to go to another dealership. Acura should have the common sense to STRICTLY enforce tech/mechanic competency if they want to retain customers. Infiniti does this, BMW does this...why not Acura?? Perhaps it is the 'value' aspect of the brand!? They save money on service!?

I have to say that this car has been in the shop more than ANY of my previous vehicles combined (persistent driveline vibration, persistent alignement issues, clutch master cylinder replacement, and now VSA failure) and the car has less than 8,000 miles. I cannot wait to experience the joy of the service department once this car cracks 40k miles. I should probably lease an office there.

In regards to the potential safety issue. I will agree that there are cars on the road that do not have stability assist, but if the posts from Ron A's link are any indication this issue might be connected to the ABS system. If that fails I am trading this thing in!!

Old 04-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004

If that fails I am trading this thing in!!

Keep trying to get it fixed, and if they can't, it's Lemon Law time. Don't take that huge hit trading when you might be able to have Acura buy it back.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
i had that problem, my vsa and abs lights would come on from time to time, i left the car with them and they finally got it to happen when they had it. they replaced the vsa relay switch. cost was $56 with the install.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:47 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by Rock2534
i had that problem, my vsa and abs lights would come on from time to time, i left the car with them and they finally got it to happen when they had it. they replaced the vsa relay switch. cost was $56 with the install.
Rock,

Why would you have to pay at all? This is obviously a defective part that needed replacement!?
Old 04-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Pro

Sure it's a safety issue. It can signifigantly change the handling characteristics of the car. If you never had it in the first place, then you won't miss it, but if you are used to it, and all of a sudden don't have it, then it could cause a problem for some people. I'm sure most people wouldn't have a problem without it, but remember there are people out there that cannot drive well as it is.

Acura should consider this a major safety issue, IMO.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by apwalsh
Sure it's a safety issue. It can signifigantly change the handling characteristics of the car. If you never had it in the first place, then you won't miss it, but if you are used to it, and all of a sudden don't have it, then it could cause a problem for some people. I'm sure most people wouldn't have a problem without it, but remember there are people out there that cannot drive well as it is.

Acura should consider this a major safety issue, IMO.

VSA makes the car easier to handle, not necessarily safer to handle.. the only handling feature that can also be a safety issue is the wingnut behind the steering wheel.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
yea it is a "feature" signifying it isn't completly nessicary, not a hazard or issue. Regardless it needs to be fixed.
A literate mind, how refreshing.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Interesting how you twist "safety issue" into "safety hazard" and then lecture us on keeping perspective. Acura lists the VSA under "safety and security" in their literature as opposed to a luxury/convenience item. Obviously, the TL is not "unsafe" to drive without the VSA. However if describing it to the service writer as a "safety issue" gets them to apply the proper focus to getting it fixed, I don't see the problem. my
Old 04-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Pro

VSA makes the car easier to handle, not necessarily safer to handle.. the only handling feature that can also be a safety issue is the wingnut behind the steering wheel.
Agreed, from my personal perspective. But for some people, the absence of VSA could cause a problem, in turn causing injury, which could result in a lawsuit. You would think that Acura would rather not even fight that battle.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Advanced

VSA Fix

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a persistent VSA failure on the 04 TL. My VSA system is failing each and every time I get into the car and now Acura is telling me that they cannot find a stored error code in the car's computer (umm design issues in the computer system are not my problem). While I love the new 'feature' of not having to turn the VSA off manually (I know some of you would really enjoy this) I am of the opinion that this is a safety hazard!? What I find to be more than coincidental is that this issue only started occurring after I took the car in for the B service. During that service appt they also swapped out the wheels as well (long story). I simply find it very odd that immediately after an appointment in which they check the car out and swap the wheels that I now have a persistent VSA failure.

What troubles me more is the lax attitude Acura is taking on this issue. Another service win for Acura
See my earlier posts. The first problem with VSA deactivating (dificultly shifing out of park, VSA warning light coming on) was a defective brake lockout switch.

The next occurence had both the VSA & ABS lights coming on. That required a week and a half at the dealers for analysis. They kept getting a faulty wheel senor code, but changing wheel sensors did not fix the problem. Turned out to be a defective VSA computer control module. Fixed in February, no problems since.

Good luck
Old 04-25-2005, 12:39 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats what I thought.... So I removed the "wingnut"..

Now my steering wheel is loose.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am sure a lawyer could argue that VSA is a safety feature and if it was not working properly could get acrua to pay out big bucks in a mishap. I like the fact that 16 year olds who have not driven at all or barely out of the box so to speak are telling people what's what about cars..lol

Than why have vsa at all. Leave it out. Learn now to drive first without having to rely on a computer like in the the good ole days. You learned the limits of man and machine first hand... Some of us did well while others did not!!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 AM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by mickey3c

Than why have vsa at all. Leave it out. Learn now to drive first without having to rely on a computer like in the the good ole days. You learned the limits of man and machine first hand... Some of us did well while others did not!!!!
This was a form of natural selection, too bad it no longer applies!!

-- Update on VSA issue --

In chatting with the dealer they stated that a VSA control module was ordered (that was all they could figure out to do as they are still scratching their heads). They cannot figure out why the ABS light is not coming on in unison with the VSA light. In reading the very informative posts here, I feel the issue is a wheel sensor issue not a VSA control module problem. So I am laying down 10 to 1 odds that the issue will still be present after the replacement (have I mentioned how impressive Acura service is)

In regards to why I feel that the issue is a wheel sensor, the problem DIRECTLY corresponds to a wheel swap out. I NEVER had an issue with VSA prior to this service appointment, then 1 day after having the wheels switched out it now occurs every time I drive the car (coincidental.....I think not).

Can anyone advise the location of the VSA wheel sensors? Are they, as the name implies, located at each of the 4 wheels? Also do you feel this part is something that could be knocked/damaged during a careless wheel swap?

Any opinions/thoughts/comments welcomed!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Advanced

This was a form of natural selection, too bad it no longer applies!!

-- Update on VSA issue --

In chatting with the dealer they stated that a VSA control module was ordered (that was all they could figure out to do as they are still scratching their heads). They cannot figure out why the ABS light is not coming on in unison with the VSA light. In reading the very informative posts here, I feel the issue is a wheel sensor issue not a VSA control module problem. So I am laying down 10 to 1 odds that the issue will still be present after the replacement (have I mentioned how impressive Acura service is)

In regards to why I feel that the issue is a wheel sensor, the problem DIRECTLY corresponds to a wheel swap out. I NEVER had an issue with VSA prior to this service appointment, then 1 day after having the wheels switched out it now occurs every time I drive the car (coincidental.....I think not).

Can anyone advise the location of the VSA wheel sensors? Are they, as the name implies, located at each of the 4 wheels? Also do you feel this part is something that could be knocked/damaged during a careless wheel swap?

Any opinions/thoughts/comments welcomed!
Check 3Gen Garage, there is a thread posted by someone who had to flush wheel sensors to cure a VSA problem. It includes pages from the service manual illustrating the positions of the front/rear wheel sensors.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:29 AM
VTEC HoooA

** UPDATE on VSA system failure issue **

Took the car in on Friday to have the VSA controller replaced. The dealer insisted that this was the fix for the 'phantom VSA light issue'. I expressed concern that this would not correct the problem and asked to have the brake lockout switch replaced instead, but the dealer was insistent on the controller fix.

Dealer replaced controller......

Car was fine for 2 days then BAM same exact issue as before.

So I take the car in on Tuesday and was insistent on having the brake lockout switch replaced (as noted here in the forums). The dealer advised that they have never encountered this issue, and that they would need to research with Acura's technical staff (i.e. someone outside the dealership). I asked if anyone reads the forums as this issue HAS been experienced by others and that the fix was the replacement of the brake lockout switch, to which I received the response 'Of course we do'!? Anyways car is still at dealership being 'fixed'.

On an unrelated note, I received an RL as a loaner car while mine is being fixed and must say that the new car is so completely underwhelming it is laughable. I wouldn't buy the RL if it were priced the same as a TSX!!! There is ZERO power, no touch screen, and the fact that it only comes in auto is a major letdown (I miss my 6MT something fierce). The only 'feature' I would want is the power tilt telescoping wheel. Other than that they can keep this heap!!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Advanced

besides all this mumbo jumbo everyone is talking about, just get the F@#$ing dealership to fix it...its under warranty, PERIOD!!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:52 AM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by ncatbagan
besides all this mumbo jumbo everyone is talking about, just get the F@#$ing dealership to fix it...its under warranty, PERIOD!!
Um....they are 'fixing' it under warranty that was never up for debate!? Do you really think I would pay to have this failing system replaced?? I mean cmon!!

The point of the thread (I should know as I started it) was the difficulty in getting the issue fixed, and the overall lax attitude expressed by the dealer.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Racer

I hope the dealer bothered to check the fuses for the VSA. I had my VSA lights come on this past weekend. It stayed on even after a couple of restarts. I replaced the 2 fuses and the light doesn't come on anymore.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Um....they are 'fixing' it under warranty that was never up for debate!? Do you really think I would pay to have this failing system replaced?? I mean cmon!!

The point of the thread (I should know as I started it) was the difficulty in getting the issue fixed, and the overall lax attitude expressed by the dealer.
exactly! what i meant by that is that you just go in there, state the problem, tell them to fix it, and take NO BS from them!! and apparently they gave you some lame @$$ treatment...i would've done what i just stated and leave my car there w/the valet key and tell them i'll call in a few hrs to check the status.