3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration of some type but definitely not tires: engine perhaps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration of some type but definitely not tires: engine perhaps?

First off, I enjoy this car very much. It is a substantial step up from my retired 96 Accord and like most, feel that the BMW and Benz is a little overpriced in terms of maintenance costs, options, etc (but I still like them).

I have no ill vibes of my vehicle (black on black). There are a few things Acura needs to fix but does not need immediate attention so I’ll just wait till my first service.

The vibration feeling I’m getting is definitely not tires and it feels more like a “bogging” feeling. Here is a prime example that occurs often. I have approximately 800 miles, live in Hawaii, and have not floored the pedal yet.

When in traffic here, I usually let go of the gas and glide or just slow down a little and then glide. I try not to use the brakes too often unless needed of course (obsession perhaps). As far as stepping on the gas, I haven’t hard pressed the car yet (never had a need to). When I’m on the freeway, going about 30-50 or so, I will need to let go of the gas because a car is in front of me or I slow down just a little. When the time comes and I begin to accelerate just a little to speed up, there is a vibration/bogging feeling coming from the pedals and the car. I notice it and I let go of the pedal and that vibration is gone.

I’m probably going to send an Acura tech to come with me on a test drive when I take it for service. If anyone has exprienced this, please share. If you know what it is, I would like to know.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:56 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
bustedbyu,

First off, welcome to the club of vibrations.

From what I can tell there are three vibrations that people have posted about in the many threads and posts on this:

1. Cold tire flat spotting (happens at sub-50F temps sitting for 4 or more hours).
2. Misc vibrations from improper tire balancing (example,vibration at 65 and up, or at 70 and up, etc - when tires are warm and not flat spotting).
3. The 1500rpm vibration (happens whenever the car is not accelerating, but is maintaining speed, or SLIGHT acceleration and around 1400 - 1600rpm). This is typically felt at 50-57mph, but can also be felt at 30-35mph depending on how bad you have it. This is when the car upshifts to the next highest gear.

I belive you have number three, unfortunately, many have this (but not all), and so far, acura has not done anything, some regonal svc reps have said it is normal, to which many of us disagree (I think you do too, or you would not have posted).

I have all three, and can share in your pain.

Here is one link to check, more to come if you do a search for vibration, you will find a lot on it:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ion#post644576

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ight=vibration

Acura must fess up and do something about it!
Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Racer

One more..

Car vibrates above 75 and does not go away. I have this issue and a couple of othe people do as well.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Thanks for your well written response. I'll read some of your other posts.

Where in Vibration Land you from? :p
Old 01-07-2004, 01:37 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 6spdzoomzoom
One more..

Car vibrates above 75 and does not go away. I have this issue and a couple of othe people do as well.
Thanks 6spd, I have one that starts at 65, I sort of lump that into number 2, I guess it could have been more clear, and have updated my first post above.

also, some posts have indicated that the cause of the number 3 vibration in AT models is the lockup converter at low rpms, but has not been confirmed.

Some of the 6spd's have vibrations other than tires also.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Instructor

bustedbyu,

As described by need4spd, the vibration you are experiencing is most likely due to 3. I have noticed it around 30-35 mph or so. In my 5AT, the tranny is in 4th gear then and the rpm is around 1700-1900. If I accelerate gradually, the tranny does not shift gears and I get this "grungy" vibration (more of an aural thing rather than a significant vibration). If I accelerate hard or use the SS to shift to the 3rd gear, the engine accelerates to more than 2500rpm and the vibration is gone. Same thing happens around 55mph on slow sustained acceleration.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

bustedbyu,

I feel for you in Hawaii, especially on Oahu where the speed limit on H-1 and H-2 is 50mph! That speed is precisely where the most common vibration is occuring. Your best bet will be to drive in sport shift mode in 3rd or 4th gear.

I go to Hawaii every year for business (part of my territory), and the driving there is so much different. Like the lifestyle, it tends to be very laid back. Frustrating if you've got a car that likes to move.