Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration - Service / FX-35

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration - Service / FX-35

This may run a little long, sorry in advance.

Well, I dropped my car off for service at Acura of Walpole this morning. I must say my dealings with them run hot and cold. Some people there are excellent, both in sales and services, and others plain suck.

I went for a ride with tech. and he clearly noticed the rattling vibration when the sunroof cover is open, and it reverbs throughout the whole car. He could even feel that flap vibrating at idle. we couldn't isolate any other rattles, but they are minor. The roads we drove on were pretty smooth.

He also noticed the 75 mph vibration in the wheel, and it was only minor this morning and he clearly noticed it. I told him it gets MUCH worse than that.

I'll let you know how I make out.

On another note, when I told them I needed a car, I got back from test drive and they had a Kia waiting for me. I'm no snob, but I didn't buy an Acura to get a bottom of the barrel Kia when I have a brand new car with problems. I wasn't thrilled. To make matters worse, I talked the Enterprise guy into giving me an Infiniti FX-35 for like an extra $25. (I wanted to check one out). So when the serive guy comes out to ask if the enterprise guy if has any more cars, he says, "well, this Kia is available again", and the service guy just looks at him and says "you got anything else".

The friggin' Kia was good enough for me, but not for another customer (an RL owner). I was pissed. I just bought a brand new TL and its ok to unload a Kia on me but not on another customer. After my service I'm going to write a letter. I already had rough time with one of the sales guys when buying the car, and then they tried to charge me $20 over retail for the all-season floor mats. I'm starting to wonder about this place. Maybe I should go with Acura of Boston. I'm not the type of person that usually has so many issues with service people either.

Anyway, FX-35 is really nice in terms of handling. Very stiff, awesome growl to it. But, somewhat underpowered (need the V8 for this size car) and the interior almost made me throw up on the spot. If Infinity fixes their Fisher Price interior, they will be tough competition for Benz/BMW/Acura/Lexus. The car drove really nicely. TL is still smoother, but not as stiff in the corners. TL feels more refined, but FX is also an SUV, but it corners amazingly.

Sorry for the rant...

Ryan
Old 12-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Well, I got my car back.

The front tires were way out of balance, to the tune of 3 oz. on one wheek, an oz. on the other.

I took the car out on the highway at 75-80 and noticed my "shaking" had now been changed to a buzzing vibration. I can't decide which is worse, the old way or new way. I'll have to drive it to work tomorrow and see how it is. Either way it isn't fixed, but the problem is now different.

As for the sunroof plastic flap that buzzes, they took it out and lubed it, and it made it a little less noticable, but its still there, and I'm betting that within a few days of driving it'll be back again in full force.

So, I'm 0 for 2 in terms of getting my problems solved at this point. Anyone who has sure-fire fixes for the sunroof flap that vibrates, please point me in the right direction so I can tell the dealer.

I know that the vibration issue continues to plauge people, and have been following that thread closely. I wonder if it really is the tires. I hate to spend $600 on new tires when I think Acura is to blame for putting the crappy EL42s on our nice cars.

Ryan
Old 12-02-2003, 06:56 PM
2nd Gear

Clair has been good for me

Ryan,

You should speak to Bob Haynes the service manager at Clair.
He always takes good care of me.

MAC
Old 12-02-2003, 08:38 PM
4th Gear

getting a Kia as a loaner is more an insult than a service, they are at least supposed to offer same brand you have.

I drive a FX 45 and have to admit the dash in it does not even come close to the new TL, seats are ok so is the power from the 315hp 4.5l v-8, but can you say "gas guzler"? (add a Z if you want).

Indeed the dealer plays a big role of your experience with a brand of car, again, I will not elaborate but the FX is for sale, no more Infiniti for me.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Instructor

MAC,

What does Bob look like, I just want to know if I've spoken to him already?

Ryan
Old 12-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
desault,

what happened to the FX???
Old 12-04-2003, 09:50 AM
4th Gear

nothing, the FX 45 is a great vehicule, it is a good step forward for Infiniti, but I have a list of minor things (some are not that minor) to get fixed and Infiniti doesn't seem to find it important to fix them.

Another thing that annoy me very much is that I can't install a remote starter on this car because of the "intelligent" key system, have you ever sat on leather seats at -30c?
Anyway I choose to step out of it asap.