Sponsored by:

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 10:22 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Vibration

hey all...

I would like to know this vibration which occurs @ 50mph.... is it really bad vibration or u have to focus to feel it... 'cuz this vibration thing is stuck in my head :banghead: and everytime my car reaches @ 50.... I feel scared that it'll vibrate but i dont feel anything but then again I think I feel it little bit.... just little bit... so I want to know from those who have vibration problem.....
Old 12-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Vibration

Originally posted by desijatt
hey all...

I would like to know this vibration which occurs @ 50mph.... is it really bad vibration or u have to focus to feel it... 'cuz this vibration thing is stuck in my head :banghead: and everytime my car reaches @ 50.... I feel scared that it'll vibrate but i dont feel anything but then again I think I feel it little bit.... just little bit... so I want to know from those who have vibration problem.....

i haven't experienced any vibrations yet, but i assume it's fairly noticeable. you're probably just being paranoid. in any case, it's been discussed ad nauseum here, so if you do a search i'm sure you'll find the answers to any of your questions. good luck.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
If you don't feel it, you don't have the problem.

I know when I hit 50 by the obvious shimmy that starts in the steering wheel. I feel it, look at the speedo and sure enough, 50 mph.

Mike
Old 12-26-2003, 11:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
It's the common issue now. Many of 04TL new owners feel the same as you guys have. If it only takes place in first couple of miles driving, it could be the "flatspot" issue. That's the bad BS nylon tires.

If not, the only answer so far from Acura is "characterstic" for TL. You could find lots of threads talking about this. One of them is below:

Comprehensive list of known early build problems by Scott GN231

1. Do you try to use SS mnaul shift to accelerate to 50MPH and engage 5th gear over that speed? You should feel the 5th gear's lockup torque converter engaged, then the car start to vibrate while RPM drops to 1500.

But, if you kick your pedal to accelerate, RPM going up, the vibration is gone...

Someone may experience more shaking after 50 MPH, then you may need to re-balance or re-do alignment again.

2. Another thing you may test is to shift to neutral at 50MPH, if you feel no vibration, it could be caused by EL42s.

Everyone here is waiting for updates from Acura...

Old 12-27-2003, 12:05 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks alot!
Old 12-27-2003, 06:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-Rocket reminded me how the TL deals with lower octane gas, which I concluded was a probable cause for the US models vibration problems at 1,500 rpm.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TL-Rocket

Now for what happens when you use regular on some cars (probably the Acura as well): Inside the engine is a tiny microphone that literally listens for a "knock" and sends this information to the ECU. The ECU in effort to not have the engine destroy itself (that is what engine knock will do if not controlled), will retard the engine timing which degrades engine performance and economy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That may be the answer why Canadian TLs don't have the "engine vibration" problem many are experiencing in the US. Canadian gas is lower octane (premiun is only 91). Perhaps the Canadian TLs are running around with slightly retarded timing, permitting the engines to lug without shaking???

Edit Sig | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged