Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

value of a TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
value of a TL

I was thinking of agetting a TL because everyone likes the value of the TL. I agree but now I am hesitant. I was looking at a Honda Accord V6 LX. For 10 grand less, you get the 240 power engine which is only 30 HP less than the TL. Do you notice much difference in 30 HP? Also, for what you get. The leather in the TL, many people in this post have attested too, is not very good and feels cheap. The bluetooth, not many people have right now. DVD-A, there's not many DVD-A to pick from right now and it also doesn't play MP3. In other words, if I just look for pure value I have to look closer between these 2. I am in the mindset right now that a new car will become a used car and will be worth about 10% of its value in 10 years. Plus, with money I use on a TL, thats less money to invest in other securities. Does the TL justify its price over the Accord LX V-6?
Old 03-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

do a search. there was a long, and i do mean long, ass thread on this about a week ago
Old 03-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Racer

There are other threads centered around this very topic, you may want to search it out and look through the posts. Hint: You're in a TL forum, everyone here that bought a TL could've picked an Accord instead. What does logic suggest to you that the majority opinion will turn out to be?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your worried about the money get an accord its a great car and a better value. The TL offers more but like all Luxury automobiles a little more costs significantly more. The TL is a good value only when compared to other offerings in its category, all of which as a group are not good values for the reasons mentioned before.
The best value in the automobile kingdom as an accord LX v6. I dont think a lot of people would dispute that.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Instructor

If you don't care about the name, look, or technology associated with the TL, go with the Accord.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Racer

An apples to apples comparison will show a less than a $10K disparity. You need to add all the options that are available to make the comparison; i.e. XM Radio, upgraded stereo, etc.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:26 AM
Racer

drive the 2 cars. pick one. if you cant afford the spread then your question is answered. otherwise drive the cars and decide.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Advanced

Test drive both. There's no substitute for sitting behind a wheel and driving both to see how they feel. I drove a Nissan Altima this week, which also seems better bang for the buck but it just didn't do anything for me. It was like driving a boat. I don't care about DVD-A or blueteeth and such. However, the TL does drive nice. And for -60 HP, +Nav, -RWD, and -(cost of maintaining an out of warranty BWM) I'm willing to trade. Drive both and decide for yourself.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:40 AM
HMFIC

If you love cars, the TL is the only choice. If you are more interested in value, get the Accord.

Plus features like VSA, make the TL a safer choice.

Don
Old 03-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes you do notice 30 HP, but from what I've read the Accord's engine was rated conservatively so may actually be putting out more. Take 'em both for a drive and buy that which feels better to you.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: value of a TL

Originally posted by tvo7
I was thinking of agetting a TL because everyone likes the value of the TL. I agree but now I am hesitant. I was looking at a Honda Accord V6 LX. For 10 grand less, you get the 240 power engine which is only 30 HP less than the TL. Do you notice much difference in 30 HP? Also, for what you get. The leather in the TL, many people in this post have attested too, is not very good and feels cheap. The bluetooth, not many people have right now. DVD-A, there's not many DVD-A to pick from right now and it also doesn't play MP3. In other words, if I just look for pure value I have to look closer between these 2. I am in the mindset right now that a new car will become a used car and will be worth about 10% of its value in 10 years. Plus, with money I use on a TL, thats less money to invest in other securities. Does the TL justify its price over the Accord LX V-6?
This post is night and day compared to the jibberish and uneducated schit you post over in the OT area.....still thinking like a "nerd trying to pick up chicks" in a riced out Civic? Wow, how your tune has changed over here. Now you do strike me as a graduate student with the above post.

Ahhh, me thinks that tvo7 has been playing with some of us over in the OT area...shame on me for even trying to help you out and thinking your post was serious over in the OT...
Old 03-04-2004, 09:37 AM
What's a TL?

Re: value of a TL

Originally posted by tvo7
30 horsepower is a huge deal. Not many have said the leather feels cheap just that it wrinkles easily but this can be remedied by keeping the leather conditioned (just like you do with even the finest leathers). A LOT of people have bluetooth and it is becoming much more prevelant. Can't argue much with the DVD-A thing, but the system is fantastic no matter what you are listening to.

Bottom line, if you can afford the TL, do it. Some people can afford the Camary, some can afford the ES 330 (I realize those cars are both fugly, but we'll set that aside for now). It just depends on if you want to take the step up to the nicer version of an already good car.