3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 6MT...what would you consider safe mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used 6MT...what would you consider safe mileage?

Yes, I did use the search button haha, but didn't find an answer.
I've been looking into a 6MT 05 or 06 TL for quite some time. I've researched a ton about this car, and its the right one for me. The ONLY thing that's got me shook about this car is the tranny. Don't worry, I've read up about proper fluid, sensor switches, etc. So I'll know how to maintain it, that is, once I get it...

That being said, I am looking for some advice when choosing mileage. If you were buying a used TL 6MT, lets say 15ish grand, what mileage would you never consider buying over? Or is the aggressiveness of the driving a much more important factor? Other tips for buying a used TL in general? I just don't want to be really excited with an awesome car, only to figure out a little later that the tranny is on its last life ... Thanks everybody
Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Mileage is a non-issue I think, you never know how bad/good the driver was to the clutch.

if it's close to 100k it's time to change the timing belt which can be expensive depending where you get it done. Service records are a must, and I would highly recommend a pre purchase inspection.

for 15k they'd probably be hovering around 60-70k miles.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
you said you researched about the 6mt....but we dont have any switches to replace....
only the automatics.
Should replace the existing MTF with GM Syncromesh friction modified.

the mileage doesnt really matter, as these cars are getting older and the price is coming down...
If the car looks beat up, then it probably was beaten up.

I bought a clean car with 30k miles only to have the clutch go out at 37....it all depends on the previous owner...
I changed my clutch on 11/05/2010.

I probably contributed to the death of my clutch as well, as this is one of the hardest cars to learn...it took me at least 3 weeks to figure out the clutch.

your tranny will be fine, its what connects your pedal to the transmission(the clutch) that WEARS out.
I bought the clutch set from acuraoemparts.com for $250 and had a local mechanic install it for $400.

if you dont have the funds to maintain it, then look for another car.

you have a couple of tools to use when purchasing a used vehicle.
-Use the carfax as a guide. not all accidents are reported to carfax.
-Have a mechanic look over the car for general oddities and make sure its running fine.
-There are vin numbers on each body panel of the car. if one doesnt match up, you can bet its been in an accident.

Remember not to fall in love with ONE car. There are always BETTER Deals out there.

Last edited by justnspace; 03-03-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
If I were to pick up a used 6MT, reading what I've read and experiencing what I've experienced, I would put aside the funds to get the clutch replaced. I agree with justnspace, the clutch is different and fragile if it's not totally babied.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

Hey now, I'm young but I have the income haha or else I wouldn't be asking!
Anyway, excuse my newbness, but everyones gotta learn at some point...
So are you saying that the transmission is an issue with the automatic, and a non issue w/ the 6 speed? And that the 6MT's only cure is the GM fluid? If thats true, you don't know how relieved I am haha. Very thankful for this forum, I've learned a ton but theirs still a lot I don't know, so I appreciate the responses
Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

You came on here claiming to have done your research and then stated misinformation that anyone would know if they read just a little. You do that here and you WILL be called out.

If it has the 3rd gear issue, the TSB may be needed or at the very least, the GM Fluid.

What I was trying to say is that these clutches are fragile. If the previous owner did not treat it right, intentional or not, it could go very quickly on you. So you should plan that into your purchase.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I don't think they're fragile. I just think there are a lot of people who haven't a clue how to properly operate a manual transmission. While the clutch in the 3G TL is not about to be as strong and durable as you would find in a Z06 Corvette or a Mustang V8, it is a decent unit. Used correctly and it should easily see the other side of 150,000 miles.

The problems we have seen with the clutch have more often than not been related to peripheral components such as the check (delay) valve or the hydraulic control system. The actual clutch itself works very well and should give many tens of thousands of miles of service.

Still, what others have told you here is true when they wrote that you just don't know how it was treated by former owners. So look for any abnormal wear on the clutch pedal, such as around the lower left corner (could indicate the driver rested his foot on the pedal), any chattering or shuttering when released in first gear at take off, and check for slippage (this is pretty simple to do). Our clutches are self-adjusting which means they will work up to the point where they rapidly begin to fail. It also means that the point of initial engagement (pedal) doesn't change much at all. Also, if the shifter feels a might loose and sloppy, the driver may have been throwing some hard shifts which means he was probably racing or at least hard on the clutch as well.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 03-04-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by akajambas
Hey now, I'm young but I have the income haha or else I wouldn't be asking!
Anyway, excuse my newbness, but everyones gotta learn at some point...
So are you saying that the transmission is an issue with the automatic, and a non issue w/ the 6 speed? And that the 6MT's only cure is the GM fluid? If thats true, you don't know how relieved I am haha. Very thankful for this forum, I've learned a ton but theirs still a lot I don't know, so I appreciate the responses
you mentioned that you didnt want to buy a car and be disappointed. This is the chance you take when buying used.
Especially if you dont know how the previous owner operated the clutch.

and like KN_TL, southernboy, and my self have said...try replacing your existing MTF with the GM syncromesh to get rid of 3rd gear issues.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
you mentioned that you didnt want to buy a car and be disappointed. This is the chance you take when buying used.
Especially if you dont know how the previous owner operated the clutch.

and like KN_TL, southernboy, and my self have said...try replacing your existing MTF with the GM syncromesh to get rid of 3rd gear issues.
And this is the heart of the issue. It is unfortunate but buying used is a crap shoot. Unless you personally know the original owner (or owners), you really don't have a clue how that car was used. This is why I have never bought a used car in my life as my personal driving machine. That and the fact that I have very specific requirements for such a vehicle.

The are some other things that can be checked. Generally, someone who cares about their car's appearance and welfare (avoiding dings on door, etc.), is more likely not to abuse it. If the car is being purchased in a private sale, make sure to take a ride with the owner driving and closely watch how they operate the clutch and transmissions. Of course, this assumes the buyer knows what to look for, but it he does, this can tell someone a lot.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Safety Car

I guess I shouldn't say fragile. I drove only manual's when I first started driving and I have never had a car that took so long to get used to.

After reading that 90% of the people here say the same thing about it and the fact that driving hard with the check valve is like driving with your foot on the clutch will cause premature wear.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by KN_TL
I guess I shouldn't say fragile. I drove only manual's when I first started driving and I have never had a car that took so long to get used to.

After reading that 90% of the people here say the same thing about it and the fact that driving hard with the check valve is like driving with your foot on the clutch will cause premature wear.
I never had a car or driven a car that is so hard to master...
but once you get the hang of it, the TL is a blast!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Try BMW...at least E46 it's a nightmare. TL is a godsend compared to those. E46 Clutch has no feel (kinda like the TL) but the fly-by-wire throttle lags and is very hard to gauge (vs. the TL is actually very responsive). It's pretty difficult smoothly starting from a stop, and the shifter feels pretty vague.

I think the TL is actually quite easy to at least get moving from a stop. Friction point is HUUGE. I have yet to stall the car *knock on wood*
Old 03-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
I bought my '05 6MT with 56k miles. Like someone said, you're mostly rolling the dice, but try and take an extended test drive and you should get a feel if something's wrong. If you do buy, go to the syncromesh fluid ASAfrackingP. My balky shifter and 3rd gear issue was solved by the fluid replacment, just like so many others. Good luck, OP.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

I never had a car or driven a car that is so hard to master...
but once you get the hang of it, the TL is a blast!
Taking out the valve brought it back for me. I can't wait to see what a double puck clutch is going to feel like.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Taking out the valve brought it back for me. I can't wait to see what a double puck clutch is going to feel like.
Same thoughts about the check valve...
cant wait to hear your reviews!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM
6th Gear

If the type-s manual for 2007 is not in your price range I suggest you go for 04 or 05. its a lil bit faster
Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 PM

^?

the 04-06 6MT's are the same or a little faster than the type-s AUTO's.
the type-s 6MT's are faster than the 04-06 6MT's
Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
^?

the 04-06 6MT's are the same or a little faster than the type-s AUTO's.
the type-s 6MT's are faster than the 04-06 6MT's
He'll probably say that the 04-05 TL's have 270 hp and the 06' has 258.