Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ugh, the TL is becoming a pain

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ugh, the TL is becoming a pain

I have an 04 TL, 90 k miles, 6mt in abp. I love the way the car looks, just love it, and the navi is excellent too, but in the last 5k miles, the car seems to need alot of attention... it has at least 5 different rattles, one in the steering column, one up somewhere near the homelink buttons, somewhere in the front pass side door area, and at least 2 different areas in the back deck. The alignment is off AGAIN at least the 3rd time in the last 30k miles in the rear, and it just ate the newest set of tires i put on it in less than 10k miles. I can also hear an axle shaft clicking but cant really tell which side (maybe both) i need to change. Plus, Ive been getting wheel hop lately on slick surfaces as if there is a motor mount tore up somewhere, is this common? And, i may have to do the brakes again along with the timing belt and water pump service... Im thinking about just selling it and buying somthing else soon, what would you guys reccomend? Fixing/selling or just keep it? Upgrade to somthing else? I feel like id have to spend a few grand just to fix everything wrong... One of the reasons im asking is because i drove my dads 99 accord lx v6, and its got 126k miles on it, not in as nice a shape as my TL, but the accord is smoother, quieter, and has NO RATTLES... Kinda pisses me off that a cheaper, 5 year older, higher mileage, less expensive car, is less annoying.

/rant
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
trade up to an 06 tl or newer, u should have less problems
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sell it...but its a honda and should last very long.....but I would upgrade when a car approaches 100k. Maybe a Type-s?!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Fight On!

I would think about selling it this year. Your approaching the 100k mark and it's about time IMO to upgrade.

Fix what you can, get the tune-up and sell it. Because its a honda/acura it'll have pretty good resale value.

My '99 accord was still running pretty strong when I sold her last year but she served he purpose. 100k is pretty good life for a car...you could push it for more but why?
There will be plenty of takers when you put yours for sale.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel hop on slick surface ? Are you sure you are not mistaken this feeling for what really is the traction control kicking in. I get that feeling when I break to suddenly or turn on slick surfaces, the dash traction control light should kick on.

Best of luck
Old 03-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Acuras Only in

I vote for getting a type-s .... good deals all around for the 07 & 08 models ...
Old 03-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How is 100k high mileage for an Acura? This isnt a GM or Ford.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Elegance

73k on my 04 TL and no rattles or any problems, runs soo smooth!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Any car with enough miles on it will need some work. The only way around it is don't drive or keep changing cars. Changing cars cost more than fixing them but your choice.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I've had rattles and buzzes in my TL since about 10-15k miles probably. I call my TL the "U2" version.... aka "The Rattle and Hum" version. I bought the car because it looks great and hopefully would be reliable. In mechanical aspects it's been reliable, but I think Honda/Acura blew it with the fit and finish - it doesn't match what Lexus puts out. That being said, it's a 2004 TL I bought in October 2003 with 94,000 miles on it and I'm hoping it'll run trouble-free for another 20-30,000 miles. I'm 37 and this is only the 3rd car I've owned. My first 1988 Toyota Camry ran for about 130k miles, and after being in about 3 wrecks, had to be replaced. I replaced it with a 1997 Nissan Maxima that was flatout a bulletproof car - in 128,000 miles of driving, I had to do 1 out-of-warranty repair - the starter died around 120-125k miles. I got rid of it like an idiot because I got bored with it... lol. I swear that thing would still be running well into the 200k mile mark. I want to drive this TL into the ground, but most vehicles today should last 100k miles easily - if the chances are high that they won't, then it's not a car I want.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Banned

Sounds like everything you described could be fixed in a weekend. Sort of depends on how valuable your time is. I know 90-100k miles certainly would not scare me into selling my Honda products but the thought of spending another $40k on a car scares me more considering mine is paid off.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LXiFLYBY
I have an 04 TL, 90 k miles, 6mt in abp. I love the way the car looks, just love it, and the navi is excellent too, but in the last 5k miles, the car seems to need alot of attention... it has at least 5 different rattles, one in the steering column, one up somewhere near the homelink buttons, somewhere in the front pass side door area, and at least 2 different areas in the back deck. The alignment is off AGAIN at least the 3rd time in the last 30k miles in the rear, and it just ate the newest set of tires i put on it in less than 10k miles. I can also hear an axle shaft clicking but cant really tell which side (maybe both) i need to change. Plus, Ive been getting wheel hop lately on slick surfaces as if there is a motor mount tore up somewhere, is this common? And, i may have to do the brakes again along with the timing belt and water pump service... Im thinking about just selling it and buying somthing else soon, what would you guys reccomend? Fixing/selling or just keep it? Upgrade to somthing else? I feel like id have to spend a few grand just to fix everything wrong... One of the reasons im asking is because i drove my dads 99 accord lx v6, and its got 126k miles on it, not in as nice a shape as my TL, but the accord is smoother, quieter, and has NO RATTLES... Kinda pisses me off that a cheaper, 5 year older, higher mileage, less expensive car, is less annoying.

/rant
If and all possible,why don't you hold off for the all new '09 coming out this October??
Old 03-02-2008, 07:59 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hondafans
Sounds like everything you described could be fixed in a weekend. Sort of depends on how valuable your time is. I know 90-100k miles certainly would not scare me into selling my Honda products but the thought of spending another $40k on a car scares me more considering mine is paid off.
+1
Old 03-02-2008, 08:45 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
if it is under $1k... it aint time to let her go... clicking noise begs for type s axles... brakes... upgrade the rotors and brake pads... and the rattles... get a hot glue gun... lift and dab... lift and dab... works everytime
Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Advanced

update:

Windshield is fixed, both front cvs were changed and both were shot to hell, one was clicking but apparantly the driver side cv was damn near seized up, which is wierd because both of the boots were intact. Going for the alignment tomorrow and getting new tires also. We will see, if it feels much better after everything, ill probably man up and keep it for a while, or at least until the 09s come out haha
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Ain't nothing wrong with yer TL...

At 90K, you're complaining about:
- rattles... search that. all TLs rattle, even 08 TL-S's.
- alignment. alignments go out of whack due to the roads you drive. 3 alignments in 30K miles is perfectly plausible if you drive onshitty streets. A new car won't fix that.
- Axles fail. It's like $300 to replace both. NBD, at 90K on shitty roads, I'd expec it.
Al, 6MT axles are the same 04-08 TL and TL-S, ain't no upgraydd's...
- brakes are an expected wear item
- timing belt and water pump is expected at this milage...
- wheel hop? with busted axles... see the connection?

Needless to say, everythign that's a PITA you've described are normal wear an tear items. I new car will solve these problem, and empty your wallet. Owning a car and driving it causes things to wear. You have to expect to put some work into them occassionally.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:51 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^ shit kennedy is thorough to the next borough... I didn't confirm the part #'s before I posted but I got crossed with av6 axles compared to tl axles... Tl axles being beefier... Kennedy you crack me up with your perfectionism (if that's even a word)
Old 03-07-2008, 07:35 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
^ I thought you knew... I preach the troof young disciple.

Nah, I only knew the axles data because I looked a few weeks ago, as I get ready to bolt this blower on... I wanted to make sure there wasn't an axle upgrade available.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Intermediate

I dunno if this helps but I just got my 04 TL and the rattling by the passenger side I thought went from the door to the vent to what it came to be is the loose hinge inside the glove box.....it was a washer just loose. Hope this helps. Good Luck with your car. I think it would be cheaper to just fix the car than buying a new one but its your call.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Ain't nothing wrong with yer TL...

At 90K, you're complaining about:
- rattles... search that. all TLs rattle, even 08 TL-S's.
- alignment. alignments go out of whack due to the roads you drive. 3 alignments in 30K miles is perfectly plausible if you drive onshitty streets. A new car won't fix that.
- Axles fail. It's like $300 to replace both. NBD, at 90K on shitty roads, I'd expec it.
Al, 6MT axles are the same 04-08 TL and TL-S, ain't no upgraydd's...
- brakes are an expected wear item
- timing belt and water pump is expected at this milage...
- wheel hop? with busted axles... see the connection?

Needless to say, everythign that's a PITA you've described are normal wear an tear items. I new car will solve these problem, and empty your wallet. Owning a car and driving it causes things to wear. You have to expect to put some work into them occassionally.
^
Exactly. 90k miles +bad roads = suspension problems. A different kind of car is not likely to solve your problem. You compare your dads Accord, but do you drive like your dad? My dad just got rid of his 99 accord, the thing looked like a low rider at about 130k miles because the roads he drives on suck, and the shocks were done.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Kennedy and hondafans have the best advice here. listen to them.

if the cost to fix the car is equivalent to buying a new car, then buy a new car. at the most, the repairs will not even cost you 5 grand, let alone over 40K + interest on a new car.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by LXiFLYBY

/rant
I don't know where your located but winter cold temps could be a reason.
I was having rattles and ticking noises through out my car (01 CL-S) alot recently..I was getting worried...considerably in the past few winter months...never had them before. Then I realized winter does take a toll on cars..expansion and contraction...cold starts..etc..with the change in temp. Well we recently had a couple warm days and the mysterious rattles and creeks tickings all went away. I had rattle problems all through out my dash and they all went away..and ticking noises from under my car that annoyed me and those also went away. Just a thought...best of luck in what ever you decide.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:06 AM
The Darker the berry....

Sheeeeeeeyittt - does it start every single time?
does it run smooth?
do you see any smoke when starting or driving?
do you see any leaks in your driveway?
does everything work?
These are the important things when deciding whether to get rid of ride - rattles, axleboots, brakes, shocks, etc.. that's all wear and tear. $1 - 1.5G MAX and your riding like new again. $40K for a new ride will hurt a lot more.... If you like the car, fix it and keep it. If you want something new, poney up that dough and don't look back...

Good luck whatever you decide...