Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling in the TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling in the TL

Well I'm gonna be traveling in my TL and I wanted to know how well you guys do when you travel with family. Do you ever have any troubles with the tank being as small as it is, or anything like that? Would you have any recommendations for a first time TL Traveler?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bring some tunes along.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by ericsunday
Do you ever have any troubles with the tank being as small as it is, or anything like that? Would you have any recommendations for a first time TL Traveler?

On the freeway, you'll get at least 350 miles per tank before the low fuel light activates. I can't go more than 200 miles before stopping for a restroom or a soda (or both), so I've never felt the tank was too small.
Fewer rest stops are necessary for passengers if they bring snacks and drinks with them.

All passengers should bring their own iPods and reading material if conversation flags or they don't like the driver's music.

Have a safe and fun trip.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
The gas thank is not that bad, you may stop every 4 hours to put gas but i think that's good to stretching your legs
Before you leave just check your manual for tire pressure!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 AM
私を知らない

clear bra, front nose mask or use masking tape to protect your bumper!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

I've taken many a road trip in my TL and, in the words of one of my best friends:

This is the perfect road trip car. It's luxurious, comfortable, it's got a built-in GPS, quick to accelerate, not so big you feel like you're driving a boat, the sound system is amazing, it looks slick and you get great gas mileage.
I have to agree. I love driving in the TL on long road trips because it doesn't get tiring, at least for me. The gas tank is more than adequate, and stopping every four hours is a good thing for you physically anyway. The only thing you have to worry about is how much you'll be paying for gas along the way...

I remember on my trip to SoCal a few months ago I stopped in the middle of nowhere for gas (even though I really didn't need to, I figured I might as well during my bathroom break). Gas was $3.70 a gallon, and it's because it really was in the middle of nowhere. If I would've waited a half hour or so I could've gotten gas at just $3. I was an idiot.

As long as you check your fluids and tire pressure, you should be set to go. The map pocket/drawer in the door is perfectly sized for a bulk bag of trail mix or stuff like that to grab a handful while you drive. If done safely, that is
Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with all the comments above. Don't forget your radar detector. LOL! My TL loves the open road. Gives it a chance to stretch her legs! Have a safe trip.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I've taken my '04 manual to the beach (around 440 miles - not that far) eleven times and my '05 automatic (the wife's ride) three times. These cars are the near perfect road/trip car as far as I'm concerned. I don't like plush suspensions and large cars. I much prefer nothing larger than mid-size and a more firm suspension. The TL is ideal in these areas.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
tl is a great car to travel in ... it gives u great gas mileage on the highway, and IMO decent room for four people if the trip isnt too long ... gluck on ur drive. pump up the psi in the tires a little higher to get better gas mileage
Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
like others mentioned, make sure tire pressure is adequete/fluids good, bring some good music, and if you care about your paint you should tape up the front end, partial hood, and side mirrors. acuras paint kinda sucks...

the TL is a great car to travel in, it's roomy, get's decent gas mileage, and it's fun to drive in general. wear some comfortable clothes, stop to stretch your legs every 3 hours or so, and switch up drivers peridoically (unless you wanna drive the whole time, which if you do, you sound like me)

not sure if you have NAV, but it helps a lot as well. cruise control is nice too.

you should be just fine taking it on a long road trip. good luck to ya.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I usually take a 10+ hour trip every few months or so. I'm from the south (where all my friends and family are) and I live in Baltimore now. So that equates to me driving long distances pretty frequently.

I really like the TL for road trips. And I think the tank and mileage are perfect for trips. I usually fill up before I leave and then stop at the halfway point for refueling (myself and my car). Check your fluids and you tire pressure for better gas mileage. I usually get about 30 mpg and about 400 miles on a tank, give or take. Make sure you get your tunes set up, and I usually set up a laptop with a power converter for the passengers (I have yet to set up my navi to play dvds *sad face*). But the TL really does make the road trips.... not suck. Enjoy!

Also, sharksbreath's suggestion to get a bra to avoid rock chips is a good one.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Not sure where your traveling but if it's anywhere cold, bring an extra blank or two for emegencies and a first aid kit. Make sure the spare tire has plenty of air also, this is generally overlooked. Wear good sunglass. This helps with your vision, eye strain and looks cool too. If kids are going make sure they have games, movies or music to keep them busy. If heading out early, you may want to prepack the heavy stuff in the car the night before. Cruise control is you friend and will help with the gas mileage. Have a fun and safe trip!!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
If you travel alone: large mouth 1 liter Mt Dew bottles. I stop only for gas
Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
If you travel alone: large mouth 1 liter Mt Dew bottles. I stop only for gas
Paint some nice eyes, use a blond wig, and add a bit of red lipstick, then name your bottle Cindy.

"Honestly officer, I was not enjoying Cindy's beautiful attributes... just taking a wiz."

(you know, I couldn't let that one pass)
Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
I already do that...Oh, wait, you meant the bottle?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Instructor

I get 27 hwy mpg and tank is actually 17.1 gallons there is 3 more gallons of gas once u have 0 miles till empty. Safty precaution so u don't run it out of gas
Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Most miles I ever got out of one tank was 440
Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
as one with back problems I can pass along some back saving tips for you younger members
Get out of the car at least every 2 hours! every 1 hour is best and take a few minute walk around to loosen up
Sitting in the same spot for hours can cause health problems- you hear about it on long plane flights- deep vein thrombosis

If possible use rest areas,walk around- actually lay down flat on a picnic table to let back lengthen back to normal
I realize this is written in winter, so not everyone wants to lay down,,but at least get out and walk around

you can use trip planners online to locate your brand gas or food to plan trip stops, and find best gas prices ahead of time

a can of Seafoam in just under half a tank of gas now, will help to restore like new mileage and performance
another can in first full tank on the trip will really do a nice cleaning of entire system--seafoam likes time and heat~
Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

I'm driving about 700 miles from El Paso to Denver, would you recommend seafoaming it on the first two full tanks? And yeah I have the navi. Good idea with the clear masking tape, road rash can be a real bitch. And would anyone recommend I just fill my tired with nitrogen before I go?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by ericsunday
Good idea with the clear masking tape
BLUE painters tape. for the love of god do not put clear masking tape on your car. you'll have more than road rash to worry about.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Does anyone have the bra or front nose mask? I had the half nosed mask on my 99 Accord and thought it looked pretty good. The full is too much IMO:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/vie...ullmasklrg.jpg

But the half isn't too bad:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/vie...alfmasklrg.jpg

Kinda worried about paint wear though. After 4 years with the half mask it has all but completely worn away the paint on the edges of my hood. Granted it was under the mask so you couldn't see it.