Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trany FLuid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:08 PM
[PA] NBP-TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trany FLuid question

Quick question. I'm close to 60k miles on my 04 TL. I was looking in the manual and is suggesting i use Honda ATF-Z1 FLuid. Is there a site I can purchase my own fluid. I don't think local shop uses the recommended fluid.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Try this bro. This one is the cheapest I can find ....

http://www.keenanhondaparts.com/serv...N-FLUID/Detail
Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM
[PA] NBP-TL

Originally Posted by McKulit
Try this bro. This one is the cheapest I can find ....

http://www.keenanhondaparts.com/serv...N-FLUID/Detail

Perfect!!! is not so bad at $4.85. I was expecting alot more. I'm guessing i should by more or less 4 to 5 Qt.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by clavodulce16
Perfect!!! is not so bad at $4.85. I was expecting alot more. I'm guessing i should by more or less 4 to 5 Qt.
I just bought a case of 12, so I can do the change, drive, change, drive, change method.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by avs007
I just bought a case of 12, so I can do the change, drive, change, drive, change method.
Instead of that, wouldn't it be easier to do a tranny change at, say, every 20,000 miles? On my old Camry, I did the tranny every second or third oil chage. Found it easier then attempting an overall flush of the system.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
No- the most effective way to change out the fluid- lets not use the word flush- is do the 3x3 method with 5 minutes drive between drains
The trans will only give up 3 qts of its 7. something qt capacity at a time, so this way gets out as much of the old fluid hiding in the recesses as possible.

Would you change 1 qt of engine oil every month- and never change the filter, and believe that was reasonable care of a delicate part?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
No- the most effective way to change out the fluid- lets not use the word flush- is do the 3x3 method with 5 minutes drive between drains
The trans will only give up 3 qts of its 7. something qt capacity at a time, so this way gets out as much of the old fluid hiding in the recesses as possible.

Would you change 1 qt of engine oil every month- and never change the filter, and believe that was reasonable care of a delicate part?

Well the tranny doesn't have a filter, so this isn't exactly the same type of comparison. I don't think there is anything inherently bad with just changing out 3 quarts every 20,000 miles, instead of a 3x3 at 60,000 miles (or 109,000 on the other schedule). It's still better than not changing at all.

I suppose one could argue that you would be taking better care of your tranny with 3 qt changes every 20,000 miles, becaues you get to inspect the fluid for discoloration/burns/etc as well as inspecting the magnetic drain plug, more frequently.

I always wondered tho, why the TL's tranny drains so little fluid... The tranny in my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, will drain 8 quarts of fluid, and has a capacity of 10 quarts. And that's only a 4 speed.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its holding the rest in the torque convertor and passageways.
Its WAY better to change out as much fluid as possible- otherwise, all
you are doing is running a diluted contaminated old/new fluid
Do it right and be done with it- read the owner book
NEW fluid throughout the trans~ it cost less than synthetic engine oil per qt- so buy the Honda stuff and be safe with their special mixture

The oil filter analogy was to illustrate that there is NO filter on the trans- would you change 1 qt of engine oil every 3 months- on a system with no filter- and think thats taking care of the car? NO
Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Its holding the rest in the torque convertor and passageways.
Its WAY better to change out as much fluid as possible- otherwise, all
you are doing is running a diluted contaminated old/new fluid
Yes, but it's not as bad as you think. If you change out 3 qts every 20k miles, then yes you are running diluted fluid. But since you are changine 3 qts again relatively quickly, the wear level of the fluid should be fairly static.

When you do the 3x3 change method on a longer interval, you have cleaner fluid for a while, but than after some point, you will be running a dirtier fluid, due to the longer intervals.

Do it right and be done with it- read the owner book
NEW fluid throughout the trans~
First of all, even the 3x3 method isn't going to replace all the fluid in the tranny. Second of all, if you wanted to get technical, the tranny fluid change in the maintenence guide is only a recommendation, not a requirement. That's what happens when you use words like "should" rather than words like "must" when describing procedures.

The oil filter analogy was to illustrate that there is NO filter on the trans- would you change 1 qt of engine oil every 3 months- on a system with no filter- and think thats taking care of the car? NO
That analogy is still invalid, becuase the engine has a filter, and you were saying to not change the filter. Second, the comparison is invalid, becuase engine oil is exposed to the combustion of hydrocarbons. Tranny fluid is not, and is not subject to the same types of contamination as engine oil.

And yes, changing half the tranny fluid on a much more frequent basis actually is taking care of your engine, using your philosophy, because at least when you change the fluid every 15-20k miles, you are cleaning the magnetic drain bolt, which is akin to changing the filter, since the tranny has no filter.

Look, I'm not saying everyone should go and change their habits on how to change tranny fluid on the TL. I'm just saying that doing what this guy suggested isn't inherently bad for the car, and is not going to cause your tranny to explode, or have your warranty voided.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3x3 is the way to go. I had oil analysis done on my ATF after a 1x3 drain and fill and the results were as if I had never changed the fluid.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaFreCoLa
3x3 is the way to go. I had oil analysis done on my ATF after a 1x3 drain and fill and the results were as if I had never changed the fluid.
I might be confusing posts, but didn't you do your 1x3 change after 60,000 miles? And didn't you tell the lab that you only put 5,000 miles on your fluid? So the lab said the wear seams abnormal, but only because they thought you did a complete change. Plus the 1x3 occured after 60k miles, not every 20k miles.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Don't just limit yourself to the Z1. Everyone who is afraid to try something else has probably never tried it, but I've been on synthetic for over 20,000 miles. Shifts are better and crisper than stock and the best part is the fluid stays red and smells normal. The Z1 smelled burned and turned black after a few thousand miles.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Don't just limit yourself to the Z1. Everyone who is afraid to try something else has probably never tried it, but I've been on synthetic for over 20,000 miles. Shifts are better and crisper than stock and the best part is the fluid stays red and smells normal. The Z1 smelled burned and turned black after a few thousand miles.
Which syntethic? I've tried Mobile 1 ATF in my Camry with no issues? Anyone else try this in their TL's
Old 12-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crysophylos
Which syntethic? I've tried Mobile 1 ATF in my Camry with no issues? Anyone else try this in their TL's
If he's talking about full synthetic, than he's probably talking about Amsoil, because that's the only synthetic I can think of that meets Honda Z1 specifications...

You can try Mobil-1, but that stuff is Dexron-III. I wouldn't put anything in the tranny that doesn't say it meets Z-1...

You can also try Castrol Multivehicle Import Blend ATF, which also meets Honda Z-1, but that stuff says it's a synthetic blend. (If you do, make sure you get the "Import" blend, and not the "Domestic" blend.)
Old 12-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
If he's talking about full synthetic, than he's probably talking about Amsoil, because that's the only synthetic I can think of that meets Honda Z1 specifications...

You can try Mobil-1, but that stuff is Dexron-III. I wouldn't put anything in the tranny that doesn't say it meets Z-1...

You can also try Castrol Multivehicle Import Blend ATF, which also meets Honda Z-1, but that stuff says it's a synthetic blend. (If you do, make sure you get the "Import" blend, and not the "Domestic" blend.)
You're right, Amsoil. But here's the catch... I started with the recommended Amsoil ATF and eventually switched to ATD with no VIIs, a little thicker, and supposedly protects the extreme pressure areas better. Mine had a gear whine engine speed related from day one and the ATD quieted it down a lot. Not saying that's good or bad but it's less annoying. After reading about the failure points, I thought a good synthetic could make a difference since the temps inside the third gear clutch pack were approaching the flash point of a conventional ATF.

You'd be surprised at the shift quality. I think it's due to the drive by wire pulling back throttle on every shift but there's hardly a difference between the ATD and Z1 shift quality besides a quicker shift. I still can't feel the shifts. I think we could put the old Type F fluid in the TLs and not feel a big difference in shifts though I wouldn't recommend it.

I also added a cooler and Magnefine filter which probably helps keep the fluid looking better longer.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Under your Acura...

honestly, honda atf z1 is fucking junk.

i only recommend it if you want to keep your warranty, because believe me, i drain and strain that shit, and you can tell if its not honda atf. and if i have a doubt ill send it out before i throw in a new trans for you.

the atf z1 just needs changed too much, yes its a good fluid to an extent. but longevity is just not there.

i sugest BG synthetic atf with a can of soft shift

the drain refill drain refill is the best u can get, the flush i just dont really believe in