Transmission service necessary when replacing Pressure Switches?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014 | 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Transmission service necessary when replacing Pressure Switches?

Hey all..I have a few questions about the 3rd and 4th grear pressure switches and when to do them and what service needs to be done injunction with replacing the switches (if applicable).

After doing some digginng I found that I need 3 switches and 3 gaskets:
2 x 28600-RKE-004
1 x 28610-RKE-004
3 x 90471-PW7-A00 (gaskets)

I have an 07' Type S and right now have an A123 code, which means, oil change, tire rotation, cabin/engine filter and transmission service. I currently have 85k miles on the vehiclle

I got the tire rotation done for free at discount and plan on doing the filters myself since its a 10 min job.

I plan on taking the car to the Acura Dealer for the transmission service and its around $100 for this job. I probably won't do the 3 switches/sensors just yet. I plan on buying the parts at least from acura parts warehouse or somewhere similar to save a little money. I don't plan on doing this myself. (FYI the car has 85k miles on it, and ive owned it since 18k miles, as far as I know the switches have never been replaced)

So here are my main questions:
When replacing these sensor/switches (all 3 with gaskets):

1. When the parts are replaced, do you have to do a transmission service along with it or can you just just replace the switches alone?
2. Should I wait until 105k miles (when I plan on doing timing belt service) or is that too long? If not, maybe i'll do it at 90k, but this depends on answer #1 if I need to do a tranny service with it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-22-2014 | 03:38 PM

when you do the switches, a little fluid may or may not leak out. so you'd probably add a little to replenish the transmission fluid.

but other than that, no you dont have to do them together. I dont see why not though? Why not do everything at once?
Old 10-22-2014 | 07:36 PM
10th Gear

At this point you should change the pressure switches as soon as possible. Who knows when that transmission will die.

And no it does not have to be done in conjunction with a "transmission service". What is a "transmission service"? Drain and refill of the transmission fluid?

Also, if you have the skills to change your oil filter yourself, then you have the skills to change the pressure switches. It's one of the easiest and most important things you can do for the TL with an automatic tranny.
Old 10-22-2014 | 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheTitus
At this point you should change the pressure switches as soon as possible. Who knows when that transmission will die.

And no it does not have to be done in conjunction with a "transmission service". What is a "transmission service"? Drain and refill of the transmission fluid?

Also, if you have the skills to change your oil filter yourself, then you have the skills to change the pressure switches. It's one of the easiest and most important things you can do for the TL with an automatic tranny.
Good call. Sorry about being vague there. I was referring to the "3" portion of my A123 service code which is considered the drain and refill. Please correct me if I'm wrong. As of right now I do not change the oil filter myself, only the cabin and engine air filter.

And to also answer the question from paperboy, regarding why not do everything at once is because today my oil life just went to 0 and I plan on going on Friday for the oil change. I wanted to buy the parts ahead of time at a lower cost and at this rate wouldn't receive them on time.
I could ask the dealership who will be doing the "3" service on friday for a quote for the pressure switch job but I have a feeling it'll be a little high especially with retail OEM parts prices.

Based on these recommendations what I'm thinking of doing is the following:
Get the "3" service end of week. Within the next 2 weeks, I will order the parts for the pressure switch job. I'll find out how much the dealer would charge for this. To be quite honest I feel a little uncomfortable doing this job myself and I know most people on this forum probably do it themselves but I'll leave that to the dealer or other mechanic I could find. Would you guys have any idea of how much labor hours a dealer would charge for this job?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2014 | 09:32 PM

If shipping time is a concern, just reschedule your appointment. 2-3 days extra of driving won't harm the engine. The oil life % is really just more of a guideline, and doesnt take into account the great variety of oils out there.