Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission oil question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission oil question

I went to the dealer this morning, they did my oil change and transmission oil change. my car is an 04 (automatic), im a little under 49k miles. This is the first transmission oil change.

My question is, before the job was done, when the gears would change from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, they were somewhat delayed at times. Now that the job is done, the changing of the gears are instant and smooth.

Im not really complaining about this obviously. But i would like to know why it was a bit sluggish before in the first place? was it the transmission oil itself and now the problem is solved? or will this re-occur as time passes by?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by skads_187
I went to the dealer this morning, they did my oil change and transmission oil change. my car is an 04 (automatic), im a little under 49k miles. This is the first transmission oil change.

My question is, before the job was done, when the gears would change from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, they were somewhat delayed at times. Now that the job is done, the changing of the gears are instant and smooth.

Im not really complaining about this obviously. But i would like to know why it was a bit sluggish before in the first place? was it the transmission oil itself and now the problem is solved? or will this re-occur as time passes by?
Your ATF probably started to sludge.. It takes more time to build pressure to the clutches when the ATF starts sludging / becomes more viscous so you'll notice a delay.. you should get your ATF changed in a more frequent interval like 25k miles or less depending on your driving style. Glad she's running better. Look for the new DIY on 3rd / 4th clutch pressure switches as well. Low miles for an '04 btw.. make sure you change your brake fluid every year, that means flush all four lines.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Low miles for an '04 btw.. make sure you change your brake fluid every year, that means flush all four lines.
thanks for the info. do you how much the dealer charges for this job? and do they flush all four lines? or do they just top off the fluid?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
It's an easy DIY.. you just need a couple simple tools like a turkey baster to suck out brake fluid in the master cylinder (or another suction apparatus for sucking brake fluid like a big syringe with attached tube or a large pipet), a mason jar or plastic soda jug to store the used brake fluid, a bleeder line.. maybe get a hold of a 1-way valve to make it even more full proof.. and someone to pump the brake. Get 1 Qt of Good DOT 3/4 brake fluid. I personally use Castrol GT LMA, kinda hard to find but my last score was at Pep Boys.. My local O'reilly's, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, & Napa didn't have it. Flushing all four lines will take you maybe.. 20 mins.. and about 1 QT of brake fluid but get 2 QT's just in case..

I think Acura's price on a brake fluid change is around $200.. and I'm pretty sure they clear your lines.. You'll probably find shops that will do it for $50 but bring in the brake fluid and watch them clear all four lines yourself.. make sure the new fluid starts coming out before they close each line!

whatever you do.. don't let the brake fluid touch your paint!

Last edited by Majofo; 06-01-2009 at 01:55 PM.