Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission light

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission light

I put my AT into sport shift this evening and was powering up through the gears when I noticed what I think is the transmission light blink a few times. Orange light in the shape of the engine to the right of the green headlight indicatior. It just blinked a few times then went out when I put car back into AT. Should I be concerned? Any thoughts? If it's in the manuel, okay I havn't looked yet. The car was acting fine without problems.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:56 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think some people also said that it flashes or comes on when fuel lid or door is not properly closed.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the check engine light, I think. A common annoyance and usually seen when using SS. Reportedly nothing to worry about unless it persists.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
That is the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp).

Are you using premium fuel?

If yours is an early model, there was a problem with the ECU, but later models do not have this problem.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:11 PM
team wdp rescue

yeah I had that happen to me in ss ......the music was so loud and i forgot to shift......I guess the revs were a little to high for a while when I noticed the light. It went away when I put it in drive......since the light has to do with emmissions ...maybe that high reving changes something there.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

I am using premium fuel and have bought nothing but since it was new. I only got the revs into the 5500 range or so and only temporarily before the next gear change. I was going quick but hardly pushing it. Thanks for the replies, just wanted to make sure I didn't need to be concerned.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:53 PM
You touch my tra la la...

It happens for me in SS, low gear, and when I floor it and the RPMs get high... basically anything to bring the RPMs up will cause the light to flash. For me, the light is on whenever I drive but flashes for the above reasons. My dealer knows the problem through testing other cars with the same problem, something about a valve not closing fast enough. Won't hurt your engine, but it isn't good either. He ordered a replacement part but it is backordered so I have to wait a few weeks. I am only getting 11MPG, and I am guessing it has to do with this. If you read the manual it says that if this light is on it probably means the problem is also causing poor gas mileage. Going to call my dealer to be safe though.

Do you need to reset the MPG thing when you refuel? And how do you do it if so?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Osteoman
I put my AT into sport shift this evening and was powering up through the gears when I noticed what I think is the transmission light blink a few times. Orange light in the shape of the engine to the right of the green headlight indicatior. It just blinked a few times then went out when I put car back into AT. Should I be concerned? Any thoughts? If it's in the manuel, okay I havn't looked yet. The car was acting fine without problems.

As ppl said above, answers may be varied.

If you could provide more details, ppl could help before you go to your dealer.

Which gear did you have? I guess it's 2nd.
What was your RPM range?
Possible speed range?
Vin range?

Orange light in the shape of the engine is definitely the MIL, which usually means danger to your engine, ECU firmware isn't right, fuel cap isn't closed well, engine mis-fire, etc. If you could answer those questions, ppl may be able to help.

Transmission light blink: ?? If you downshift to lower gears and cause the too high RPM, this will be lid and prohibit downshifting.??
Old 05-14-2004, 10:57 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Doesn't really mean danger to your engine. Dealer said it won't hurt the engine, manual says the same thing. Things that usually will hurt the engine say "bring to dealer ASAP" in the manual, while this just says have the vehicle inspected by a dealer. Best off calling your dealer and seeing what he thinks, and have him have a look.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Sorry, Osteoman, I didn't refresh my page and didn't see your reply upstairs.

GaleForce is probably right. If your ECU has new firmware, those, like coil packs, valves controller, crank shaft position sensor, etc, could be the factors. Dealer could collect codes from your ECU, and they could connect protable device to your car and test drive it if your ECU doesn't save any codes.

I would say MIL On is never the good issue. Something is wrong.

GaleForce, I'm happy your dealer is able to help you out right now. My dealer was telling me MIL On is safe and normal, which would mean you should prepare to upshift, and nothing I needed to worry about... what kind of stupid dealer they were!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

It's definatly the MIL light by your descriptions. Gas cap not the problem. I always tighten it multiple clicks. Light blinked in multiple gears from second up to 4th, before I switched back to AT. Car was running fine without any obvious misses. Also I reset my comp. with each fill up and I'm consistently getting 24-26 mpg. on premium fuel always. Thanks for everyones help. Also my Vin. is in the 30,000 to 31,000 range. I bought the car third week of Februray.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:44 PM
Instructor

I had mine in two weeks ago with the same symptoms. Dealers said it is the crank position sensor and it is on backorder. They ordered me one and said they would call when it comes in. Serious enough for me to want to get it fixed, but not serious enough to prevent me from driving the car while I wait.

I would not let the dealer tell you it's normal, it isn't. Make them fix it and escalate the issue if they continue to refuse.