3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in for newer, lower mileage TL...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading in for newer, lower mileage TL...HELP!

I'm considering trading in for an 06 or 07 TL with lower mileage but don't wanna get raped in the butt by the dealer...suggestions?

My 04 has 74k and is in "good" condition but I want something with around 30k non-navi. I have the a-spec body and type-s lights/sides. Also got extended warranty and Lo-Jack. Currently financing at 4.9% 60 months. I still owe about 20k on it.

I'm thinking I can get a better APR now...suggestions? PM me if you need to.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
acura currently has .9% or 2.9% depending on the term on new vehicles. You can get a new 08 TL-S for around 34K + Tax, tag and tittle. If you haggle a little bit more, you might be able to get some freebies like the a-spec kit and stuff. Keep this in mind when you are shopping for any used vehicles. I suggest you look at acura dealers that give out acura loaners, they just take their loaners out of service at around 15K miles and put them up for sale.

If you want to get some of your money back, sell the type-S stuff on your current car for the factory stuff, as it is worth almost zero to the dealer. Also the same with any other mods.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

i would but my goal is to lower my payment, and if i can't do THAT i want to at least have a lower mileage TL at around the same payment (with lower interest rate)
Old 05-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Instructor

I think your best bet is to look around at your local Acura dealerships. If you can find a certified pre-owned from what I have heard they usually finance at a low APR, and I have been seeing the price of TLs come down lately. I don't maybe it's just me. If I were you though I would probably wait until they start releasing the new 09's. I am sure when that happens with a new generation out and all you may be able to slide into one at a pretty good price. You are still going to have some significant debt either way so you mid as well wait it out.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Black0ut
I'm considering trading in for an 06 or 07 TL with lower mileage but don't wanna get raped in the butt by the dealer...suggestions?

My 04 has 74k and is in "good" condition but I want something with around 30k non-navi. I have the a-spec body and type-s lights/sides. Also got extended warranty and Lo-Jack. Currently financing at 4.9% 60 months. I still owe about 20k on it.

I'm thinking I can get a better APR now...suggestions? PM me if you need to.
I don't think you have much of a chance of being able to trade up if you go to a dealership. The a-spec is worth nothing to a dealership and the type-s lights probably detract from what its worth to a dealer. Lojack is not worth much to a dealer, and I don't think the extended warranty will transfer to a dealer. You already owe $20K your car has a trade in value of $12,800. Your financing is at 4.9% currently used financing is around 5.3%. In fact, I have changed my opinion, you have NO chance of doing this through a dealership. You MAY be able to find someone privately who is willing to buy your car for more than $20K, thats a reasonable amount, then go out and buy a new TL but I doubt it will lower your payments very much, unless you get a really killer interest rate the extra cost is going to make up for it.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Sorry I can't help it but this is why the US is in the credit crisis that we're in. People over extend themselves. No matter which way you slice it you are going to add $10K to the new loan of your car if you go through the dealer. Private party sales are time consuming and hit or miss. The dealer will not give you the really good finance rate due to your previous loan burden. Soon you'll be upside down on your loan. It happens all the time.

If you must have a car every 2-3yrs then I suggest you lease next time.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I agree with other posters that if your car is in "good" condition (I guess you mean according to what NADA and KBB refer to as good condition cars) then I would pay off your existing car and drive- it sounds like a nice ride. I'm sure you can get a lower payment, but at the cost of a really extended loan (like 5-6 years). Truthfully, it's not worth it (trading for an 06/07). Used car interest rates are generally higher than new as well. If you said your car is falling apart and you have to replace it for safety or other reasons, then you might have to accept higher payments. I can't wait until mine is paid off (06 TL currently has 28K miles) as I'll keep it much longer than my 00TL (had that one for 6 years).
Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Looking for a non-Navi? There's tons more of those out there to choose from than there are Navis. Try ebaY.

Why do you think that's the case?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

i definitely won't over-extend myself...i'm not overextended NOW, i just would "like" to have more money in my pocket to save for a house or a business I want to open. My TL isn't in bad shape, I just don't want to be pay it off and have a car with 120k on it (even though thats nothing for a honda). oh, and my credit is pretty damn good considering i'm 25. my score is over 700 in all 3 credit bureaus.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

i've been thinking about selling it privately, but i think we all know that is a painful process. i'll probably just put a sign in the window and see what happens in the next few months while i wait it out.

i agree, i should wait until the 4G comes out but i'm concerned about the trade-in value of MY car dropping along with the price of the new one. and i don't need a new car every 2-3 years. i'm perfectly happy with a TL, just not happy with my mileage. right now i should be able to get abt $16,000 trade but that could be ALOT less when the 4G is here.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

Originally Posted by DMZ
Looking for a non-Navi? There's tons more of those out there to choose from than there are Navis. Try ebaY.

Why do you think that's the case?
because you can spend $3000 more for navi or you can go to wal-mart and get a Garmin for $200...hmmmm...i'll go with Garmin.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
Sorry I can't help it but this is why the US is in the credit crisis that we're in. People over extend themselves. No matter which way you slice it you are going to add $10K to the new loan of your car if you go through the dealer. Private party sales are time consuming and hit or miss. The dealer will not give you the really good finance rate due to your previous loan burden. Soon you'll be upside down on your loan. It happens all the time.

If you must have a car every 2-3yrs then I suggest you lease next time.
how can his feeler questions of wether this will work because hes hoping he might be able to step up and LOWER his payment have ANYTHING to do with why the US is in a credit crisis?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
how can his feeler questions of wether this will work because hes hoping he might be able to step up and LOWER his payment have ANYTHING to do with why the US is in a credit crisis?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

damn lol edmunds.com tells me the CURRENT trade-in value of my car (w/ 75k miles) is $15000 but if i wait it out until its paid off (estimated 125k miles) the value will be $12000!
Translation: I can trade in now and prob lose a shitload of money OR i can wait a few years and get $12k off my...(i'll probably get a)...2010 Acura TL-S with AWD

i think i found my answer...keep it now and MOD!

comments?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:03 AM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
as long as youre happy with it, then Id keep it. They certainly hold their value. My landlord was telling me the other day that he recently had brought his wifes 03-04 civic into the dealer he bought it from to see what they would give him for it. And they told him 12k...on a car that he paid 16 for new. Granted she doesnt go anywhere and it only has like 15k on it, but not bad
Old 05-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Black0ut
damn lol edmunds.com tells me the CURRENT trade-in value of my car (w/ 75k miles) is $15000 but if i wait it out until its paid off (estimated 125k miles) the value will be $12000!
Translation: I can trade in now and prob lose a shitload of money OR i can wait a few years and get $12k off my...(i'll probably get a)...2010 Acura TL-S with AWD

i think i found my answer...keep it now and MOD!
comments?
Seems to be the only reasonable solution, there is no way you are going to trade in a car you are upside down on and still lower your payments. If you had some equity it the car than maybe, but you don't.

Keep in mind that any mods you do will most likely LOWER the resale value of the car, unless you do a private trade. Plus you have an extended warranty and those people are bastards about covering a car that has mods. You seem very concerned with the resale so modding might be a bad idea for you.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
as long as youre happy with it, then Id keep it. They certainly hold their value. My landlord was telling me the other day that he recently had brought his wifes 03-04 civic into the dealer he bought it from to see what they would give him for it. And they told him 12k...on a car that he paid 16 for new. Granted she doesnt go anywhere and it only has like 15k on it, but not bad
yea, that's not bad...i think the car loses the most value as soon as you drive it off the lot but over the years it will retain its value well

Originally Posted by TzarChasm
Seems to be the only reasonable solution, there is no way you are going to trade in a car you are upside down on and still lower your payments. If you had some equity it the car than maybe, but you don't.

Keep in mind that any mods you do will most likely LOWER the resale value of the car, unless you do a private trade. Plus you have an extended warranty and those people are bastards about covering a car that has mods. You seem very concerned with the resale so modding might be a bad idea for you.
true, but i'm talking about mods that will improve the value such as swapping my parchment leather for factory ebony leather. you know, "factory" mods and things that can be undone without a ton of labor. besides, like you said i'll be better off selling it privately when the time is right. it's alot easier to sell it for $13000 privately in a few years than to trade it in for maybe $11k