Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in 5AT for 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading in 5AT for 6MT

I read sometime before that someone else did it on the forum. Can someone tell me how much I can expect to pay? I have to pay outta my own pocket so I'm wondering how much of a hit I will take. Have about 571 miles on my car right now...I finally convinced my parents to let me go MT...unfortunately I have to pay all the costs...

Thanks in Advance
Old 09-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Instructor

your best bet would be just to goto a dealer and ask.

6mtv6 i think is his sn, but he mentioned he was friends w/ the dealer so he got a good deal.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

It's not going to be pretty. You lose substantial value just driving it off the lot and making the car now "used".
Old 09-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Racer

i knew i would hear bad numbers...but i previously read 2k - 4k would be average. I thought maybe mine would be less because I don't even have 600 miles?
Old 09-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Miss my 89 Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what you'll pay.. for sure 2-4 for the car then you still have another 2 or more for tax on the new one..

but you'll love the 6MT...
Old 09-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tigetech
No matter what you'll pay.. for sure 2-4 for the car then you still have another 2 or more for tax on the new one..

but you'll love the 6MT...
Oregon has no tax
Old 09-11-2004, 12:44 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Originally Posted by donkeykang
i knew i would hear bad numbers...but i previously read 2k - 4k would be average. I thought maybe mine would be less because I don't even have 600 miles?
One thing to keep in mind. You car has so little miles on it, it actually still qualifies as a "demo" if someone was to purchase it from the dealership.

Basically a car can be legally driven to a certian ammount of miles before it passes the "demo" catagory. A friend of mine is a dealer and used to work for GM/Pontiac/Buick , their limit was 1500km. He could drive any car he wanted while he worked there, the catch is, if you don't sell it with in the 1500km you get penailized. It was a certian percentage per month while it sits in the lot. That's why my friend wouldn't drive around any GrandPrix GPTs because they wouldn't sell as often as a Montana or a Sunfire.

Tell the dealership they will be able to sell it as a demo, it's no where near the demo limit. I'm sure they know that but if you tell them you know it too, they might give you a better deal on the trade.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I don't believe that once it's been titled to a third party it can be called a "demo". At that point, it's pre-owned (a/k/a used) whether it's got 6 miles or 6000 miles.

Mike
Old 09-11-2004, 02:22 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by svtmike
I don't believe that once it's been titled to a third party it can be called a "demo". At that point, it's pre-owned (a/k/a used) whether it's got 6 miles or 6000 miles.

Mike

When I refinanced my TL with my credit union they considered it a used car, and would only give me high blue book for it (so any gap between the loan amount and what it was "worth" would be out of pocket). Fortunately, no blue book values were available yet!
Old 09-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i think your parents need to teach you to be content, as it is pretty obvious you are spoiled. If you are not happy with your $30,000+ car at age 17, what will ever make you happy?

I have been spoiled by my parents, although not to this extent, and there have been many times where i complained about how something i received wasnt good enough, or i whined for something nicer. In times that like my dad pretty much told me to be happy with what i have because there are millions of other kids who would kill to be in my position. After awhile i realized how much of a brat i was. So my advice to you...be happy with your luxury car that was given to you and leave it at that
Old 09-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Instructor

I wanna puke.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by chkelly
i think your parents need to teach you to be content, as it is pretty obvious you are spoiled. If you are not happy with your $30,000+ car at age 17, what will ever make you happy?

I have been spoiled by my parents, although not to this extent, and there have been many times where i complained about how something i received wasnt good enough, or i whined for something nicer. In times that like my dad pretty much told me to be happy with what i have because there are millions of other kids who would kill to be in my position. After awhile i realized how much of a brat i was. So my advice to you...be happy with your luxury car that was given to you and leave it at that
Originally Posted by Tedanddenise
I wanna puke.
Why the negative comments. The kid already said he is going to pay for it himself. If he was whining to mom and dad about wanting a 6MT and they were going to have to pay for it, I could see the validity of your comments, but if he is responsible enough to pay for it himself, what’s the problem?

Originally Posted by donkeykang
I read sometime before that someone else did it on the forum. Can someone tell me how much I can expect to pay? I have to pay outta my own pocket so I'm wondering how much of a hit I will take. Have about 571 miles on my car right now...I finally convinced my parents to let me go MT...unfortunately I have to pay all the costs...

Thanks in Advance

Of course, he is so inexperienced that he doesn’t know that this will probably cost about $5,000, so I am sure this will soon become a moot point and he will have to live with his 5AT.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Racer

Once again, something is assumed. I paid for half of the car cost, pay for the $300/month insurance, pay for gas, pay for everything else that comes along with it. You think asian parents are willing to fork over that kind of money? I have my own business that I run at the age of 17 and I told my parents I would pay them back within time. I recently got into a car accident on August 15th and broke my back. The TL provides great safety, while offering great performance. Please don't shoot your pre-dispositioned assumptions at me based upon what? Things read over the internet? My parents raised me very well and taught me to work hard for what I have. I started my business from the ground up starting from age 14.

kthnx

btw I'm not hurt or anything, your assumptions are of course valid based upon the fact that you probably did not know this. Please note however that I do not enjoy being belittled and referred to in such a condescending manner.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Why the negative comments. The kid already said he is going to pay for it himself. If he was whining to mom and dad about wanting a 6MT and they were going to have to pay for it, I could see the validity of your comments, but if he is responsible enough to pay for it himself, what’s the problem?
I have been in the exact situation many a time, and i saw it from the same POV. Regardless of who pays for it...the gift wasnt good enough. "dont look a gift horse in the mouth" That teaches the value that if something given to you isnt enough for you, you can just return it and pay more to get something better. It is a gray area, i acknowledge that, but it is also a bait and switch. His parents obviously love him so it doesnt bother him, but when you do that to other people you meet in life, they can and will take it the wrong way. I have just realized how i have had to adjust my lifestyle in the past couple of years in managing relationships...

donkey, to be honest, just ignore me, i am not trying to call you out of anything but i see a lot of parallels in your situation that made me think about myself, so dont take it personal..
Old 09-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Instructor

whatever you say. I know plenty of kids who got nice cars at age 18 and they swore they paid for them. in reality...no good parent is going to let their 17 yr old son to blow $15000 of his own money (assuming he would have that money) towards a luxury car. Wealthy parents who worked hard to get somewhere teach their kids to save, and would either buy the luxury car for their kid, or he wouldnt be getting a luxury car..

dont be surprised when people like myself question you on the internet when you post openly that you are 17 yo, have a new TL, and want to trade it in because you want something else and you had to consult with your parents etc. You open yourself to people making assumptions on a message board based on the information you are providing everyone with...
Old 09-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Racer

anyways chkelly while most of what you said is kind of obnoxious i give it to you that i shouldn't have made it seem like i wasn't happy with what i got. i just called my dad and apologized as well as explained the situation to him and told him my obsession with the car was to the point that i talk to my car because i love it so much.

so thanks
Old 09-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Instructor

the logic that asian parents wouldn't be willing to fork over that kind of seriously flawed.

have you ever been to a college w/ high percentage of asians? take a trip to berkeley or stanford and you'll see the nicest cars on campus are always the asian kids and almost none of them pay for it themselves.

yes you have to eat every bit of rice from your bowl because that is wasteful and your parents paid for it, but yes many asian parents are most defintely willing to pay for a nice car for their kids. i believe that asians as a race are one of the most superficial. you ever been to one of those korean churches where people go to showcase their new benz? yeah you know exactly what i'm talking about. that's why adults are always so shameful they own a grocery or dry cleaner even tho if they went to seoul university. i'm saying all this with the assumption that you are korean. sorry if i'm mistaken.

i'm just pointing out a fact, not adding to the disagreement above
Old 09-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

I personally don't know what the problem is even if his parents bought him the car. It is nothing to be ashamed of if someone has the resources to buy their child a $35k car. I know if I had the money I would do the same. People often coorelate spoiling a child with the amount of money they spend. I think this is ridiculous.

I gauge a child by how responsible and respectful they are. When I was 17, I use to regularly drive a Lexus SC400 ( $50K+ car) Although it was my dad's, he never cared how often I drove it. The reason being was he knew I would take better car of that car than he would.

Gatorfan
Old 09-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Instructor

the post on asians needs to be deleted...
Old 09-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Instructor

regardless of age, if a person is using this board to find more information that could potentially help him about his car, i don't think he should get flamed for things we assume about him
Old 09-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

If you got by without more than a 6k loss I'd be shocked. Not worth it imo. You got a great car already, be happy.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:43 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Originally Posted by svtmike

Mike

completly agreed, however it is a little "ammo" for negotiating a better price. There is probably a better chance selling the car privately and convincing the new buyer that that car is just not what you wanted.

Look at it this way, if the dealership is not going to work with you on this, A) they are risking your service contract on a brand new car B) You may loose 6 grand in a trade with the dealer, like mentioned above, but there is a chance you may only loose 2 grand if you sell it privately and then purchase a new Acura 6mt.

Personally, I would rather save 2 or 3 grand off a car and get it from some one that just bought it and has to , for example, move out of the country and is forced to sell a brand new car. One key is make sure the warranty transfers to the 2nd driver or it will not warant selling it yourself, everyone with a new car wants a warranty.

And on this money issue, I know many people in their very eairly 20's that are completly taken care of finantially, from their own efforts not their parents. Heck, a business partner of mine, a 28 year old who 5 years ago was working in Chilli's in Cali, and now is a mulit multi millionaire, once again thanks to his own efforts, no stock market, no lottery..

It might be a little rough in the wallet, but hey I'm considering a 2003 CL-S 6mt myself, got to love the 6spd.