Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in Value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade in Value?

What do you guys think a FAIR trade in value would be for a 2004 TL with NAV 53k miles every factory option including a-spec kit and spoiler? The car is automatic and in phenomenal condition and still has the remainder of the 7 year 100k mile warranty. Im supposed to trade it in for a '05 CTS-V but im skeptical on getting raped by the dealer on the trade in. I know i get the tax credit but come on. These guys want to charge you top dollar for their car and then they make it seem like your car isnt worth anything to them like im some sort of dumbass and dont understand the logistics of business. You= Dealer, me = guy dealer is trying to stick it in. We need reformation in the car industry. Anyways one dealer offered me what i would consider a fair deal, as he has seen my TL and gave me a fair trade in value. However he cant find me a 05 CTS-V right now and has no idea when he will be able to make it happen. The other dealer is trying to rape me on the trade in, because hes 500 miles away from me and cant see my car, and offered me some bogus number because its sight unseen and id hate to drive all that way for him to tell me his numbers arent going to change. So its getting frustrating and its almost worth saving the headache and taking the hit on the trade. Not sure what im going to do yet but your opinions are greatly appreciated. I may just sell it to my brother for under book but it will take him some time to get the money together.

EDITED BY ggesq

If not though please let me know what your opinions are and what youd accept if it was your car. Keep in mind i paid 25k from the dealer 9 months ago and it had 37k miles, no spoiler, no underbody kit. Thanks fior your input.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Around 17k for a trade in.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:23 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Please don't misinterpret me as pessimistic, but if your TL is in real good condition, and you own it, why do you want to trade for the CTS-V, knowing you will undoubtedly get mpg in the range of ~ 15 (18 if you're lucky) vs the ~26 range most people on this forum get? It just seems like a poor financial decision to get taken on the trade in of your TL, then have to pay a lot more for fuel. I have a CTS (06- the wife's car), and it's been a great car, but I'm so glad I didn't spring for the V8. I guess the only reason not to worry about this deal is if you're commute to work is really short.

I just want you to make a well informed decision, so please take no offense.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your responses gentlemen. I got quoted 18 from one dealer, and as low as 12 from others, which is absolutely rediculous. 18 I'd consider because it then turns into 19,500 as i get the tax credit, but even that is low in my personal opinion.

Erdoc- i respect your opinion and all in all, your correct. I do not outright own my TL. I still owe around 10 grand on it and owning the CTS-V would not increase my car payments a great deal. Fuel is definatly a concern, however i have never thought my TL has gotten very good gas mileage to begin with. Maybe id get 26 on the highway if im lucky but the CTS-V actually isnt that bad on the highway, just really rough with city driving which i dont do too much of. My commute to work has recently been cut in 1/5 of what it used to be. I'm now 10-15 minutes away from work, and for the rest of the day im in my work truck paid for by my company fuel included. What do you think you guys get out of your TL doing some city driving? 20mpg? Ive never taken the time to actually figure this out because bottom line is, the gas light comes on, you stop at the gas station, or you push. At the end of the week the CTS-V wont really cost me much more in gas im thinking, maybe an extra 20-25 bucks. I put $50-$60 in my TL every week, depending on how much i drive obviously. The goal of this whole thing is not to get taken on the trade in. If i can maximize my dollar out of my TL i can handle the addition $100 a month in fuel. But i do agree, to get screwed on the TL, and then get screwed at the pump every week, wouldnt be a great financial decision. I plan on buying a 95 integra GS-R or something of the sort, (maybe an older accord), just to drive to and from work and then i can enjoy my V8 after hours. Does this change your opinion at all or do you still think im a jackass? I do appreciate your opinion and i am fine with accepting some constructive criticism.